Quit Smokeless Community
Cooley

Back Again 6 yrs Later

I quit back in November 2004 and made it almost to 300 days before I started smoking and then eventually back to Skoal. What triggered my relapse was helping my in-laws out after Katrina. My FIL & BIL both smoked and I wasn't in the right frame of mind. Somehow I talked myself into it being okay since I was helping out. Pure BS. If you have a long term quit going and your mind is playing tricks on you, DON'T fall for it. It is so hard to quit again! I have wanted to quit again for the longest time, but have been unsuccessful. I spit out my last dip yesterday at 11:45 and have passed the 24 hr mark a couple of hours ago. I won't lie, if I could afford it I would probably go buy a can. I guess I am thankful to be broke.

Originally I quit before I had my first child. Well, I have 2 children now, 6 & 3, who have witnessed me dip. My son said the other day "Dad, I want some Skoal". I told him to never smoke or dip, and that I would be quitting. I have to make it stick this time.

Cooley Redux

• Like 1

Hey Cooley...

Famous words, "Dad, I want some Skoal." Lotsa boys have said that..

My son is a 3rd generation dipster (Skoal)..His quit date is 9/1/11..mine is 9/26...The son had to lead the father to Zion...nothing wrong with that..

Head that off at the pass if you can...

speedbump

My son said the other day "Dad, I want some Skoal". I told him to never smoke or dip, and that I would be quitting. I have to make it stick this time.

My dad would have tanned my hide good for smoking or dipping. But he was my idea of a real man, so I followed his example behind his back. A father's actions speak far louder than just words alone.

BTW, my dad had a massive stroke from the effects of decades of smoking and spent his last 6 years in a nursing home, unable to talk or use his right arm or leg. It was a couple of years after he died that I finally quit for myself.

I hope you make it man. I quit yesterday too. I have made every deal with myself to quit imaginable. The deals never work. I quit for 2 years once then I got drunk camping and took a dip and was back on like I never left it. I think just put it down and never pick it back up is the only thing that works. I live in TX too so there's two things in common. Let's give this thing the boot.

Cooley, Sorry to hear about the relapse. It can be a hard row to reap, but the benefits are awesome. My son was 4 when I quit, and at 11 now, has no memory of me dipping. For that I'm grateful. Show your son that a true man can quit (And never start in the first place).

GL

My son said the other day "Dad, I want some Skoal". I told him to never smoke or dip, and that I would be quitting. I have to make it stick this time.

My dad would have tanned my hide good for smoking or dipping. But he was my idea of a real man, so I followed his example behind his back. A father's actions speak far louder than just words alone.

BTW, my dad had a massive stroke from the effects of decades of smoking and spent his last 6 years in a nursing home, unable to talk or use his right arm or leg. It was a couple of years after he died that I finally quit for myself.

My dad was a lifelong smoker and died of cancer in 2001 (On Fathers day even). Took me over 3 years to finally realize I didn't want to travel that road.