Quit Smokeless Community
Sign in to follow this  
Bazza

My Story

I don't think I have told anybody my dip history before, so here goes.

(Disclamer: I'm not an author or wordsmith by any stretch of the imagination. The story is what it is.)

I started using snus when I was 17 and went on a trip to Sweden. All the kids I was hanging out with in Sweden were doing it, so it was the cool thing to do. Upon returning from Sweden I found I could use Copenhagen Snuff as a substitute for the snus. I would say that for the first 5 years I was just an upper-lip dipper. I don't remember exactly when or why I started lower-lip dipping, but for about the last 27 years that's what I have been doing.

Dipping is something I was always embarrassed about. I have tried to hide it from everybody, including my wife, kids, parents, and friends. I'm pretty sure most of them know I dip, but it's something I never did it in front of or talked about with them. I would always sneak off somewhere to be alone. I spent a lot of time in bathrooms.

About 15 years ago, after meeting my future wife but before getting married, I decided to quit. With the aid of carrots I stopped dipping. The quit lasted over a year. I remember clearly the craving that caused my cave. If only I'd been stronger. After the cave I just decided I was hooked and to not worry about it.

Flash forward until 2 years ago. I'm now married with 2 boys (8 and 6). One evening while walking the dog so I can have an after dinner dip, I realize that I spend a lot of time away from my family so I can dip. And when I was with them It was agonizing as I would be jonesing dip. At these times I was short tempered, yelled a lot, and wasn't much fun to be around. I decided I needed to quit.

I talked to my doctor and he prescribed Chantix to help me quit. Using it I was able to quit for 3 months. But, the Chantix hurt my stomach so I had to give it up and ended up caving. I tried a couple of other drugs without much success. Last summer I started a cold-turkey quit while on vacation with the family. I went 2 months before I caved.

On Friday October 28th, 2011 I was watching TV in the basement so I could dip, while my wife watched TV in our bedroom. I don't know what made me, but out of the blue I decided to Google how to quit dipping (it's actually strange that I hadn't thought to do that before). I was happily surprised to find QSSN. I wasn't alone. There are other people with almost the exact same story as me who have successfully quit dipping. There is a primer on what to expect. There was even a Spongebob Mantra. I made the decision there and then that on October 31st, 2011 I would post to Roll Call and quit once and for all.

I always thought I was alone. That my story was unique. That nobody was in the same predicament as me. Turns out I was wrong. There are lots of people with almost the exact same story. If they can quit so can I. You don't quit quitting.

• Like 5

Welcome Bazza! You have made 2 of the best decisions you could make: to quit nicotine and to come in here for us to help you. You are certainly not alone, as you now know. In order to give you the best possible chance for success, you must post roll every day in your quit group (which is Feb 2012). You must hold your fellow quit brothers accountable as they will hold you accountable. Just read as much as you can and have a look around. There is a lot of valuable information that will help you along and prepare you for what is to come. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions or need any help.

Nice story Bazza, we are brothers in the world of dip. Keep on pushing through brother, this shit can trick you, so even with good intentions you can fail, keep your guard up and if you need a number pm me.

chuck

Edited by chuck m

Your story is indeed the same as mine and so many others. We're all in this fight together - that's what makes this site so compelling. I am finishing my 26th day of freedom in 34 years and the first week I never want to live through again. For that reason, I stayed quit today and in the morning I plan to pledge to my group to stay quit tomorrow also. I plan on taking the vets advice and do this thing one-day-at-a-time! PM me if you wanna chat or need help.

If they can quit so can I. You don't quit quitting.

Great preHOF speech Bazza! To me this is the most important thing you said.

There is nothing special about any of us vets. If we can do it so can you!! There are many of us who are still Quit after several years, Blair and Bluesman just hit 10 years this month!! Don't let those huge numbers daunt you though, the only day that counts is today, let tomorrow worry about itself. Just keep in mind that every Quit and every Quitter is different, but no Quit is impossible. You just have to find the method that best suits you and keeps that crap out of your mouth!

I lied a little bit, there is something special about me, but that is a topic for a different thread...