Flavius Victor

St Nic-O-Frees Roll Call

8,312 posts in this topic

People with a quit date of 08/24/2006 - 9/23/2006, this is your Quit Group.

Roll Call

Saturday, June 30, 2007

St Nic-O-Frees

Euty ~ 304 nic-free

Support Crew:

Roll Call

Saturday, June 30, 2007

St Nic-O-Frees

Euty ~ 304 nic-free

Support Crew:

DNM 212

Roll Call

Saturday, June 30, 2007

St Nic-O-Frees

Euty ~ 304 nic-free

Support Crew:

DNM 212

FranPro ~ 310

Roll Call

Saturday, June 30, 2007

St Nic-O-Frees

Euty ~ 304 nic-free

Butkus - 306

Support Crew:

DNM 212

FranPro ~ 310

Roll Call

Saturday, June 30, 2007

St Nic-O-Frees

Euty ~ 304 nic-free

Butkus - 306

kemper - 283

Support Crew:

DNM 212

FranPro ~ 310

I went golfing last night after work with a friend of mine who used to be a big-time smoker his entire adult life. This guy used to make love to his smokes. He quit the butts 20 days after I quit the dip, and he's been doing really well. He mentioned to me that a few days ago, he had cigs on his mind all day - but there was a difference in his cravings: in prior quits, his cravings would lead to thoughts of dropping his quit, how great it would be to go back to smoking and how much he really enjoyed smoking. Now, he said the thought of smoking made him ill - the craves were there, but they repulsed him and just pissed him off. He said there was no way in hell he was ever smoking again. I feel the same way with my quit - some days a crave will hit, and it just makes me mad. That's it.

We've reached a point in our quit, in my opinion, that there is really no turning back. We all know too much, we've been through too much, and it's clear how much is at stake. It's just simply not an option, and that's that. I'd be very surprised if any of us caved at this point - I'd be shocked. Not that staying quit is easy, it's just we know how to do it now. Staying on guard is part of our daily routine - it's what we do.

Keep up the quit Nics.

I agree with you. I once caved after a year quit - but I had no support system in place.

There might be a point when it will be safe to leave this site and its accountability, I'm just not confident I'm there yet. So you're stuck with my pretty face until then.

;)

That's the big difference Euty - without the knowledge gained and the accountability to this site, previous quits were really just me v. the demon. Not very good odds. I too need this site; it's part of my daily routine in the good fight.

I was on about day 43 nic-free with another 97 days on nic-gum before I found this site. The reason I started searching for information was that I was flying blind - I did not know even at that stage what to expect. It had been a lot of years since my previous quit, so I didn't remember many of the details. Like you said, the knowledge I found here was very helpful, as was the accountability aspect.

My 12 year old nephew told me when I picked him up at the airport that he was "Glad I quit that chewin' stuff". Thats all I need to hear...

Thank you to all of you here, my brothers.

I think old Freud said something about dried up bandits once, it reverted back to wanted to have sexual relations with your mother (like always)!

Good thread. While I get craves from time to time, I also feel only bitter resentment toward tobacco when they occur. Also angry at myself for letting it rule my life for so long. Despit that, I'm not sure if the addict in me will ever cured. I'll be posting role until I don't feel that way anymore.

Support Crew:

DNM 212

FranPro ~ 310

Ummm...Frannie, aren't you supposed to be up top? :huh:

Roll Call

Saturday, June 30, 2007

St Nic-O-Frees

Euty ~ 304 nic-free

FranPro ~ 310

Butkus - 306

kemper - 283

Support Crew:

DNM 212

Killerattorney ~ 273

Roll Call

Saturday, June 30, 2007

St Nic-O-Frees

Euty ~ 304 nic-free

FranPro ~ 310

Butkus - 306

kemper - 283

Jerry ~ 297

Support Crew:

DNM 212

Killerattorney ~ 273

Roll Call

Saturday, June 30, 2007

St Nic-O-Frees

Euty ~ 304 nic-free

FranPro ~ 310

Butkus - 306

kemper - 283

Jerry ~ 297

ttk - 298

Support Crew:

DNM 212

Killerattorney ~ 273

Roll Call

Saturday, June 30, 2007

St Nic-O-Frees

Euty ~ 304 nic-free

FranPro ~ 310

Butkus - 306

kemper - 283

Jerry ~ 297

ttk - 298

Joey - 296

Support Crew:

DNM 212

Killerattorney ~ 273

Roll Call

Saturday, June 30, 2007

St Nic-O-Frees

Euty ~ 304 nic-free

FranPro ~ 310

Butkus - 306

kemper - 283

Jerry ~ 297

ttk - 298

Joey - 296

Support Crew:

DNM 212

Killerattorney ~ 273

ODT - 645

Roll Call

Saturday, June 30, 2007

St Nic-O-Frees

Euty ~ 304 nic-free

FranPro ~ 310

Butkus - 306

kemper - 283

Jerry ~ 297

ttk - 298

Joey - 296

!!382~~Ekim Today is backwards day!

Support Crew:

DNM 212

Killerattorney ~ 273

ODT - 645

Junkie, burn-out, addict, drug abuser,

drunk, alcoholic, chew-a-holic

Some people would argue that chew-a-holic is just a cute euphemism which should not be compared to what they consider degrading syndromes. Contrary to this belief, nicotine addiction can be equally as strong and deadly as any of these other conditions. In fact, if you total the number of people who die yearly of all these other conditions combined, they would not add up to the number of premature deaths attributed to chewing and smoking.

Until recent times, the idea of nicotine being a physiologically addictive substance was controversial in the world-wide medical community. For a drug to be considered addictive, it must meet certain criteria. First, it must be capable of inducing physical withdrawal upon cessation. Nicotine abstinence syndrome is a well documented, established fact.

Second, tolerance to the drug usually develops. Increasingly larger doses become necessary to achieve the same desired effects. Chewers experience this phenomenon as their chew consumption gradually increases from what probably was sporadic occasional use to a required daily consumption of one or more cans.

The third criterion is that an addictive substance becomes a totally consuming necessity to its user, usually resulting in what is considered by a society as anti-social behavior. Many have argued that chewing and smoking fail to fulfill this requirement. True, most chewers do not resort to deviant behaviors to maintain their dependency, but this is because most chewers do manage to easily obtain the full complement of chews they need to satisfy the addiction. When chewers are deprived of easy accessibility to chews, the situation is totally different.

During World War II, in concentration camps in Germany, prisoners were not given enough food to fulfill minimum caloric nutritional requirements. They were literally starving to death. A common practice among smoking prisoners was to trade away their scarce supplies of life sustaining food for smokes. Even today, in underdeveloped countries, such as Bangladesh, parents with starving children barter away essential food for smokes. This is not normal behavior.

During the "stop smoking clinics" I conduct, numerous participants admit to going through ashtrays, garbage cans and, if necessary, gutters looking for butts which may still have a salvageable value of a few dips when their own supplies are depleted due to carelessness or unforeseen circumstances. To them, it is sick to think that they ever performed such a grotesque act, but many realize that if they were currently chewing or smoking and again caught in a similar predicament, they would be fully capable of repeating the repulsive incident.

Nicotine is a drug. It is addictive. And if you let it, it can be a killer. Consider this when you get the urge for a chew. One dip can and most often will reinforce the addiction. Don't take that chance.

Joel

© Joel Spitzer 1982, 2000

Page last updated by Joel Spitzer on August 24, 2003

Roll Call

Saturday, June 30, 2007

St Nic-O-Frees

Euty ~ 304 nic-free

FranPro ~ 310

Butkus - 306

kemper - 283

Jerry ~ 297

ttk - 298

Joey - 296

!!382~~Ekim Today is backwards day!

892...rekcus....rre

Support Crew:

DNM 212

Killerattorney ~ 273

ODT - 645

Roll Call

Sunday, July 1st, 2007

St Nic-O-Frees

mj - 308

ttk - 299

Support Crew:

Roll Call

Sunday, July 1st, 2007

St Nic-O-Frees

mj - 308

ttk - 299

FP ~ 310

!!482~~Ekim Off to take a infant CPR class, have a great Sunday!

Support Crew:

Roll Call

Sunday, July 1st, 2007

St Nic-O-Frees

mj - 308

ttk - 299

FP ~ 310

Euty ~ 305

Support Crew:

Roll Call

Sunday, July 1st, 2007

St Nic-O-Frees

mj - 308

ttk - 299

FP ~ 310

Euty ~ 305

Support Crew:

Killerattorney - 274

Roll Call

Sunday, July 1st, 2007

St Nic-O-Frees

mj - 308

ttk - 299

FP ~ 310

Euty ~ 305

Support Crew:

Killerattorney - 274

NavinRJohnson - 214

Roll Call

Sunday, July 1st, 2007

St Nic-O-Frees

mj - 308

ttk - 299

FP ~ 310

Euty ~ 305

Jerry ~ 298

Support Crew:

Killerattorney - 274

NavinRJohnson - 214

Roll Call

Sunday, July 1st, 2007

St Nic-O-Frees

mj - 308

ttk - 299

FP ~ 310

Euty ~ 305

Jerry ~ 298

Butkus - 307

Support Crew:

Killerattorney - 274

NavinRJohnson - 214