Quit Smokeless Community
Sign in to follow this  
bpre18

Baseball and Dipping

Hello everyone. I'm fairly new to QS.org, but I wanted some thoughts about baseball and dip. I've been playing since I was 6 years old and I'm still playing hardball at 35. I've been dipping for about 16 years (since I was 19).

Any tips/tricks/helps for what to do while playing a game other than sunflower seeds and gum?

I'm just concerned about the upcoming season (starting in May '13) and the other dippers on the team.

Thanks again in advance!

Morning Brotha. I'm not sure about others the gum didnt work for me and sunflower seeds tore my mouth up. Hard candy has been my trick, atomic hot balls to be axact. I will put them in my jaw and that burning sensation kind of reminds me of having a dip in. I'm not sure if he will see this thread or not but Gigem21 in my quit group may be a good one to ask. He coaches a good many high school sports.

• Like 1

Hello everyone. I'm fairly new to QS.org, but I wanted some thoughts about baseball and dip. I've been playing since I was 6 years old and I'm still playing hardball at 35. I've been dipping for about 16 years (since I was 19).

Any tips/tricks/helps for what to do while playing a game other than sunflower seeds and gum?

I'm just concerned about the upcoming season (starting in May '13) and the other dippers on the team.

Thanks again in advance!

I have a bit different philosophy. You will hear all kinds of tricks, methods of getting past craves, etc. These little tips help for the first few days. After that, you need a different strategy. What I believe works the best is a fundamental change in how you view dip. If you can make the mental switch from seeing it as a forbidden fruit, or the object of your desire, and view it instead as the noxious, poisonous, nasty worm shit that it is, it is fairly easy to resist the urge to dip. What is required to accomplish this switch is a daily reminder of how you view it now compared to how you viewed it when using. When you are still using or freshly quit, it is understandable to want to plan for resistance to temptation as you are doing. The fact is, once you quit, and it's out of your system (3-4 days), then your brain can kick in retrain your body to know that dip is shit and anything that tempts you is simply your own weaknesses trying to cajole you back into using. When you apply your new view toward tobacco to these temptations, you see them for what they are...the personal weaknesses that make you, as an individual, susceptible to addiction, and you can resist them.

It comes down to a choice. Simply put, the choice is binary. Option one: man up, quit, and be true to your own decision and control your behavior. Option two: rationalize the use of a product you know to be horrifically damaging to your body because you have not yet found the will power and self-respect to be a man and do what's right. Once the nicotine is out of your system, chemical dependency is not part of the equation - it falls to you to make the choice to be dip free. You either will or you won't - every day. That's why the mantra around here is "quit for today" because that is all we can control.

As for the "other dippers on the team", you should feel sorry for them - but do not excuse them. Let them know that you want nothing to do with tobacco and ask them to respect that decision (not to offer you any, to not spit or take dips around you, etc.). If they can't or won't do that - find another team. It sounds cold, but if they won't support you in trying to better yourself because, in their core, they feel threatened by your success in quitting, they really aren't very good teammates to begin with. Screw them. Your quit, and consequently, your health, are more important than a bunch of asses that value sticking a weed in their lip over your friendship and support.

Edited by FSHCM
  • Like 2

Thank you both for your suggestions!

FSHCM - outstanding. Thank you so much. I had a teammate last year that had quit and I did too... then I caved 3 games into the season. It's so great to have others around to WANT to quit - like everyone here. Thanks again for your post!

Rock213 - I'll have to check out gigem21. And fireballs do work... I forgot about them! Thanks for the little tip!

You guys are awesome!

Thanks again in advance!

Any reason my brain tells me I should dip is a lie. Plain and simple. I used this line when I quit drinking years ago and I used it when I quit dipping 1904 days ago... when the nicbitch started whispering in my ear... sometimes I would yell out loud while driving... "DON'T BELIEVE THE LIE!"

I find it funny when we fight these battles to get past addiction and/or bad habits, we are fighting our own brain with our brain... that's why it helps to be on this site and get some help from people outside our own head. If it was as easy as using our will power and intelligence there would be a lot less people using tobacco (after all we are battling a plant, tobacco, and a dead plant at that, it's safe to assume most humans are intellectually superior to a dead plant LOL).... that said, use every weapon you can... your life is worth it and so is your body!!!!

I have a bit different philosophy. You will hear all kinds of tricks, methods of getting past craves, etc. These little tips help for the first few days. After that, you need a different strategy. What I believe works the best is a fundamental change in how you view dip. If you can make the mental switch from seeing it as a forbidden fruit, or the object of your desire, and view it instead as the noxious, poisonous, nasty worm shit that it is, it is fairly easy to resist the urge to dip. What is required to accomplish this switch is a daily reminder of how you view it now compared to how you viewed it when using. When you are still using or freshly quit, it is understandable to want to plan for resistance to temptation as you are doing. The fact is, once you quit, and it's out of your system (3-4 days), then your brain can kick in retrain your body to know that dip is shit and anything that tempts you is simply your own weaknesses trying to cajole you back into using. When you apply your new view toward tobacco to these temptations, you see them for what they are...the personal weaknesses that make you, as an individual, susceptible to addiction, and you can resist them.

It comes down to a choice. Simply put, the choice is binary. Option one: man up, quit, and be true to your own decision and control your behavior. Option two: rationalize the use of a product you know to be horrifically damaging to your body because you have not yet found the will power and self-respect to be a man and do what's right. Once the nicotine is out of your system, chemical dependency is not part of the equation - it falls to you to make the choice to be dip free. You either will or you won't - every day. That's why the mantra around here is "quit for today" because that is all we can control.

As for the "other dippers on the team", you should feel sorry for them - but do not excuse them. Let them know that you want nothing to do with tobacco and ask them to respect that decision (not to offer you any, to not spit or take dips around you, etc.). If they can't or won't do that - find another team. It sounds cold, but if they won't support you in trying to better yourself because, in their core, they feel threatened by your success in quitting, they really aren't very good teammates to begin with. Screw them. Your quit, and consequently, your health, are more important than a bunch of asses that value sticking a weed in their lip over your friendship and support.