Quit Smokeless Community
Ohioman1972

The Cafe - 2014

Hawkquit - your post reminds me of my worst part of dipping. Living the absolute lie. I even came clean once with my wife about 2 years ago. Did the mea culpa, swore never again would I lie. Then the cave 2 weeks later and another 2 years of lying. Hiding. Hated it, hated myself. Dip with the only thing left in my life where I was without integrity. That was 91 days ago. Your post resonated with me. Thanks

• Like 1

Thanks Big K, but that was BAM's post. I just was encouraging him to post roll with us because he seemed like a bad ass quitter.

I was not a ninja dipper. I was stupid enough to do it in front of my wife and kids. But I wouldn't do it in front of anyone else. How much sense does that make? The people I care the most about had to watch me shove cat turds in my lip. Logic?

• Like 1

I'm back after 2(?) years and this time I am staying. This time its on my terms and I'm doing it for me. I have been chewing for 15+ years and have been trying to quit for 7. This habit has made me into a person that I don't respect. Into a weak and miserable lying man that no longer has any self respect. I am what I like to call a ninja chewer where the only people that really know that I chew are other chewers. I hide pouches in my cheek all the time anywhere. In meetings for work, in front of my wife (who thinks I quit 2 years ago) in front of anyone. I hide the can in my sock and this has been bullet proof but I am so tired of living a lie. I'm tired of lieing to my families face and I'm tired of watching my gums receed and worrying about losing half my face. I travel a lot for my job and Skoal extra costs me $9/5 cans. I can literally chew a whole can of long cut in 3 hours while driving and ninja chew another can of pouches until I go to sleep. No more.

I quit 3 weeks ago. I went an entire 7 days without caving. The past two weeks I have caved 3 times as most recently as this past Tuesday. Today I am on day 3 and I am not going back.

Cool. Post up in June. We need more brothers in quit.

I like this post and I don't know why. Maybe it's the determination after 3 caves in a week. Glad you're here, Bam. There is a rainbow on the other side. Not a gay rainbow. Not that there's anything wrong with being gay. But I'm not. I just like rainbows. Can't a guy like a fucking rainbow without being gay? Jeez! What's WRONG with you people?
  • Like 3

I am now 3 days quit. The thing that I need to realize before I ever TRULY quit and get away from this bastard vice is that IN ORDER TO QUIT THIS SH** FOREVER YOU NEED TO STAY QUIT AND NEVER EVER GO BACK. That doesn't me and that "I havent bought a can in X days, I can have ONE chew." Or "If I buy a can and only take one out of it I'll be ok because I've gone so long without having any."

I'm not a religious man but I swear some timed there are people looking down and on me. I've been quitting not for what, 4 weeks? I haven't stayed quit but I haven't quit quitting either. I've had it on my to do list to update my insurance and increase me life insurance for the sake of my 2 y/o son. I had an appt with an agent this morning and when we got on the top is of life insurance, wouldn't you know they need to blood and plss test me to determine I am not a smoker. Well I've never been a smoker but I'm sure that being s chewer isn't going to give me a pass in that category. So anyhow Noe I actually have a reason that I CANT take just one here and there because I don't want the increased rate of being s nicotine user. Its sad thats the reason to motivate me to not take another dip ever. Its sad that my son wasn't enough. Or my wife wasn't enough. Its sad that I lie to everyone that I use. What seperated me from the crack head thats sitting in the rain gutter? The expense of each of our dugs is really think only thing. My drug cost me $2/day and I could afford it but I have been no better at quitting it than him.

OK I'm off my soap box. I'm done for ever and I mean it. Please can someone direct Mr to the June group? I honestly can't find it. And also if someone knows of anywhere to buy Smokey mountain in suburban Philly please let me know. You guys rock

I am now 3 days quit. The thing that I need to realize before I ever TRULY quit and get away from this bastard vice is that IN ORDER TO QUIT THIS SH** FOREVER YOU NEED TO STAY QUIT AND NEVER EVER GO BACK. That doesn't me and that "I havent bought a can in X days, I can have ONE chew." Or "If I buy a can and only take one out of it I'll be ok because I've gone so long without having any."

I'm not a religious man but I swear some timed there are people looking down and on me. I've been quitting not for what, 4 weeks? I haven't stayed quit but I haven't quit quitting either. I've had it on my to do list to update my insurance and increase me life insurance for the sake of my 2 y/o son. I had an appt with an agent this morning and when we got on the top is of life insurance, wouldn't you know they need to blood and plss test me to determine I am not a smoker. Well I've never been a smoker but I'm sure that being s chewer isn't going to give me a pass in that category. So anyhow Noe I actually have a reason that I CANT take just one here and there because I don't want the increased rate of being s nicotine user. Its sad thats the reason to motivate me to not take another dip ever. Its sad that my son wasn't enough. Or my wife wasn't enough. Its sad that I lie to everyone that I use. What seperated me from the crack head thats sitting in the rain gutter? The expense of each of our dugs is really think only thing. My drug cost me $2/day and I could afford it but I have been no better at quitting it than him.

OK I'm off my soap box. I'm done for ever and I mean it. Please can someone direct Mr to the June group? I honestly can't find it. And also if someone knows of anywhere to buy Smokey mountain in suburban Philly please let me know. You guys rock

Welcome Bam. Your story rings a familiar tone here. We are all addicts. Our drug of choice is nicotine. We have all propped up "reasons" to quit...marriage, kids, money, insurance, cancer risk, etc. etc. The ONLY reason that you need to be quitting is staring at you in the mirror. You. You sound like someone who is sick of being a slave, sick of being controlled, sick of lying, sick of worrying, sick and tired of being sick and tired. We all were/are. If that describes you as well, then you are in the right place!

We will help you fight the most worthy, rewarding, and difficult fight you may ever engage. Don't be fooled, it's going to suck, but embracing that suck and making it your own is part of the healing process. Note, it is not a vice, it's an addiction. And stop worrying about forever, that's too damn much pressure brother. Just get through today. Hell, just get through the next crave.

Now, you are ready. Oh, your quit group, depending on your quit date can be found in the area titled "Pre Hall of Fame Groups" and you will be either in the June or July group, again depending on your quit date. Go to the respective group, click the Roll Call link and follow the instructions. Don't be intimidated, you'll get it. If you have trouble, just shoot me a private message.

Edited by Tiger Refuge
  • Like 1

Hey, the Cafe is for bitching, right? I feel the need to write every so often. Seems to help. Been going through a long chronic illness that I now know will never go away. The doc's don't know what it is and pretty much ruins every part of my life. Would dipping make things better? For me, the answer is yes. Am I going to dip? The answer is no. Dipping is stupid. It is a bad drug and I am addicted to it. So, it is pretty much a push. If you fall off a 100 foot cliff and, on the way down, you were offered a dip would you take it? If my life is going to be full of pain and misery anyway dipping wouldn't make it worse. It might even make me feel better. No? Life is funny. Right now I would cut off a foot if it would cure me. I have seriously thought, several times, about driving my car into a concrete barrier. When they fix me up I might be cured. What's dipping to me? Nothing really.

• Like 1

After 15 years of quitting/caving over and over again, it's safe to say I haven't been successful staying off the scag. I'm on day three of no dip and am hoping that a community will help me stay on task this time. I'm just sick of being a slave to this crap - Each year, I quit and then I lie to myself by saying I can have just one dip on this one day. Full blown relapse ensues...

Other things I'm sick of:

My wife thinks I have stomach problems because I'm in the shitter every hour sneaking a chew.

We can't go to bed at the same time because I need to stay up an extra hour to spit into a coffee cup in private

I will buy bottles of water just so I can have something to spit in during a car ride

I'm giving money to companies that knowingly make life-destroying products

The constant burning sensation in my mouth makes me want to put more burning in it.

I dip openly at my desk at work. That must seem really cool to other people.

I have to budget my time for any weekend trips - this involves hiding Wintergreen pouches in my wallet and lots of bathroom trips.

Flying away for a week? Logistical nightmare for closet dipper.

Days when I'm tired - I actually think about my next dip while I still have one in my mouth.

Every golf season - I open the door to let chewing back in my life... One dip with a friend and I'm totally hooked again.

I need to realize that I'm a full-blown addict... not casual or under control. I'm hoping this type of forum will help.

BTW - Tea tree toothpicks chewed up with Cinnamon gum really helped on the first days of kicking this shit to the curb...

After 15 years of quitting/caving over and over again, it's safe to say I haven't been successful staying off the scag. I'm on day three of no dip and am hoping that a community will help me stay on task this time. I'm just sick of being a slave to this crap - Each year, I quit and then I lie to myself by saying I can have just one dip on this one day. Full blown relapse ensues...

Other things I'm sick of:

My wife thinks I have stomach problems because I'm in the shitter every hour sneaking a chew.

We can't go to bed at the same time because I need to stay up an extra hour to spit into a coffee cup in private

I will buy bottles of water just so I can have something to spit in during a car ride

I'm giving money to companies that knowingly make life-destroying products

The constant burning sensation in my mouth makes me want to put more burning in it.

I dip openly at my desk at work. That must seem really cool to other people.

I have to budget my time for any weekend trips - this involves hiding Wintergreen pouches in my wallet and lots of bathroom trips.

Flying away for a week? Logistical nightmare for closet dipper.

Days when I'm tired - I actually think about my next dip while I still have one in my mouth.

Every golf season - I open the door to let chewing back in my life... One dip with a friend and I'm totally hooked again.

I need to realize that I'm a full-blown addict... not casual or under control. I'm hoping this type of forum will help.

BTW - Tea tree toothpicks chewed up with Cinnamon gum really helped on the first days of kicking this shit to the curb...

Moret, join a quit group. We are all in the same boat. Join a group to enjoy the full force of this community. You CAN quit.

Guys and gals. I'm asking for your help. The site is run mainly on our donations. Please consider taking 5 minutes to help and donate the amount you would have spent on one tin. $5. That's it. It would make a huge difference! Thank you and quit on!

After 281 days of quitting tobacco I still get the craves. I am not going to chew it. I have left dipville for good. I am happy this side.

Is this where i introduce myself? if so, i will come back and do it. i dont wanna post in the wrong place.

Welcome Brooder. This is as good a place as any. You can also check in with the newest HOF class in 2014.

Stay strong guys and gals. I hardly ever come here anymore, but I remember what it was like. It is perhaps the hardest thing many of you will ever do. But it can be done. And it starts with every hour at a time, then every day at a time, then eventually things get easier. How do I know? Because today for me is Day 3,675. Yes, over 10 years clean. And I will confess that the first year was tough-actually, the first month or two was the toughest, and then it got easier. Just remember, do not think too far ahead. Just stay quit today! Keep up the good work! Remember to use the resources here, and do not hesitate to reach out to your quit brothers for help. That is what they are all here for.

This place rocks, and it (and my quit brothers) are the reason why I am successful. Good luck with your quit. ^_^

• Like 5

Stay strong guys and gals. I hardly ever come here anymore, but I remember what it was like. It is perhaps the hardest thing many of you will ever do. But it can be done. And it starts with every hour at a time, then every day at a time, then eventually things get easier. How do I know? Because today for me is Day 3,675. Yes, over 10 years clean. And I will confess that the first year was tough-actually, the first month or two was the toughest, and then it got easier. Just remember, do not think too far ahead. Just stay quit today! Keep up the good work! Remember to use the resources here, and do not hesitate to reach out to your quit brothers for help. That is what they are all here for.

This place rocks, and it (and my quit brothers) are the reason why I am successful. Good luck with your quit. :smile:

Listen to bufffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff.

He is the man and one of the key reasons I finally quit even though it took me two years of caves to do it.

But I never gave up and that's in large part to my friends here like Buffff, vader, vike's rule, dave the man, and several others I can not even recall like Capt. Kirk....from way back in the day.

My point here is this. You also will establish connections with peoiple who will help you quit even if you struggle and go through a period of caving like I did. You can still quit and be free.

• Like 1

Can someone please give me some advice on my quit. I know that I want to stop using dip, so I bought an e-cig, but I haven't started using it yet (still using a can of silver top every day). Is it okay to use the e-cig to stop dipping? Can I post roll if I am using the lowest dose of e-cig and no tobacco products. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Can someone please give me some advice on my quit. I know that I want to stop using dip, so I bought an e-cig, but I haven't started using it yet (still using a can of silver top every day). Is it okay to use the e-cig to stop dipping? Can I post roll if I am using the lowest dose of e-cig and no tobacco products. Any help is greatly appreciated.

First off, welcome to the site Johnny. You will find a boatload of information and help here to guide you along the way. This place is responsible for saving my ass. It can do the same for you.

On the choice to use nicotine replacement therapy, I say find what works for you. If you go to the quit methods thread, there is a lot of information there. That being said, most of the folks that have used NRT don't claim a quit date until they are off the nicotine. It is the substance at the core of our addiction. By continuing to use nicotine, you are just delaying the suck. Lots of folks have stepped down off dip by tapering their use and mixing in NRT. The dangerous potential? You may end up using it as a crutch for a loooong time. There was a guy early in my quit group that got off dip and on the lozenges for over a year. Was he quit at tht point? Was he still using?

Ultimately, it's up to you to decide what's best. My suggestion, dump out that can now, chunk the e cigs, post roll for day one, and hold on. There are a lot of badass quitters on here that will help you navigate these waters.

• Like 1

First off, welcome to the site Johnny. You will find a boatload of information and help here to guide you along the way. This place is responsible for saving my ass. It can do the same for you.

On the choice to use nicotine replacement therapy, I say find what works for you. If you go to the quit methods thread, there is a lot of information there. That being said, most of the folks that have used NRT don't claim a quit date until they are off the nicotine. It is the substance at the core of our addiction. By continuing to use nicotine, you are just delaying the suck. Lots of folks have stepped down off dip by tapering their use and mixing in NRT. The dangerous potential? You may end up using it as a crutch for a loooong time. There was a guy early in my quit group that got off dip and on the lozenges for over a year. Was he quit at tht point? Was he still using?

Ultimately, it's up to you to decide what's best. My suggestion, dump out that can now, chunk the e cigs, post roll for day one, and hold on. There are a lot of badass quitters on here that will help you navigate these waters.

What do I need to do to post roll? I won't post day one until tomorrow morning, but It'll be good to know where to go.

What do I need to do to post roll? I won't post day one until tomorrow morning, but It'll be good to know where to go.

Go over to the Pre Hall of Famers and post under the September 2014 group thread. There are directions within that post on how to post roll. There are also several other threads contained within the help topics. Just jump in man. There are some great guys in the September group, the more the merrier. Just remember, you can't quit tomorrow until you make it through today. Just quit for today.

Many times I come to this site to support my quit. Many times I come to support other brother's quits. Sometimes I am strong in my quit and I know that I will make it through the day. When I'm not strong I come here looking for the inspiration to keep up the fight. I always find it!

This morning is one of those not strong days. My wife and kids are out of town to an amusement park and I'm home with a sick dog. The Nic bitch has been trying to creep back into my mind since last night and get me to cave. After they left this morning I've been hanging out here looking and reading. I came across this that was written years ago and figured I'd bring it out into the light once again. It gave me inspiration and strength to remember WHY i am doing this. Now... Strong as hell once more!

http://forum.qssn.org/index.php/topic/411-high-stakes/

Thank You

Many times I come to this site to support my quit. Many times I come to support other brother's quits. Sometimes I am strong in my quit and I know that I will make it through the day. When I'm not strong I come here looking for the inspiration to keep up the fight. I always find it!

This morning is one of those not strong days. My wife and kids are out of town to an amusement park and I'm home with a sick dog. The Nic bitch has been trying to creep back into my mind since last night and get me to cave. After they left this morning I've been hanging out here looking and reading. I came across this that was written years ago and figured I'd bring it out into the light once again. It gave me inspiration and strength to remember WHY i am doing this. Now... Strong as hell once more!

http://forum.qssn.org/index.php/topic/411-high-stakes/

Thank You

That's a badass move. I applaud you and your quit.

The Cards are taking a lot of crap for this Facebook posting:

10440749_10152392908211840_5518252789002

Bernice Rice Get that stuff out of your mouth, so you can have a lot of Happy Birthdays.

Unlike · Reply · 62 · 9 hours ago

3 Replies · 3 hours ago

Mary Hicks Happy birthday! Hope we get a win today just for you. But, please ditch the chew!

Like · Reply · 36 · 9 hours ago

Erin McLear Here's an idea. How about we stop taking a moral stance and just wish the guy a happy birthday!

Like · Reply · 6 · 8 hours ago

Kim Dundon Neisch Happy Birthday.... but as a Cardinal fan living in San Diego.... hey Oscar, did you hear about Tony Gwynn? "Tony Gwynn said his cancer was likely caused by his smokeless tobacco use."

Like · Reply · 4 · 3 hours ago

Sheila Durham Do you know that Tony Gwynn just died of oral cancer ...from using chewing tobacco !! STOP NOW !!!

Like · Reply · 4 · 6 hours ago

Racheal Hammons Happy Birthday! Get a Win for

your Birthday! Eat what you

want & Chew what you want. ...See More

Like · Reply · 4 · 9 hours ago

Brenda Will-Koons Hope you can take a lesson from the great Tony Gwynn and stop chewing tobacco. We'd like to wish you happy birthday for decades to come ♡

Like · Reply · 3 · 5 hours ago

Iva Jean Eadie Bayley Happy Birthday, Oscar Tavares! Please get that chew out of your lip!

Like · Reply · 3 · 5 hours ago

Robert Zeik Really?! As a role model for kids, you could have picked a better picture. Happy bday all the same.

Like · Reply · 3 · 8 hours ago

Judy Gerstner Get rid of the chew.

Like · Reply · 3 · 8 hours ago

Aaron Unthank C'mon guys.... It's been days since T. Gwynn died and you can't find a more suitable pic of Oscar than one with a lip full?!?!?! Someone in public relations wasn't paying attention....

Like · Reply · 2 · 3 hours ago

Joe Liebenrood Bubble gum! I respect your right to use tobacco but Tony Gwynn just passed away from cancer, of the mouth, from dipping tobacco.

Like · Reply · 2 · 5 hours ago

Russ Edwards Get rid of the chew! It will get you.

Like · Reply · 2 · 6 hours ago

Mark Mueller Hang in there Oscar... Matheny and Moe will come to their senses!

Like · Reply · 2 · 7 hours ago

Ellen Manion Happy birthday, but get rid of that tobacco!

Like · Reply · 2 · 7 hours ago

April Michelle Sims Get that chew outta ur mouth or you won't live to see 30! Happy Birthday!

Like · Reply · 1 · 2 hours ago

Jeff Hill CHEW GUM happy b. day

Like · Reply · 1 · 2 hours ago

Peg Lc Happy Birthday. We like players no matter what the color of skin or nationality. We love the Cardinals. Tim Macon is wrong.

Like · Reply · 1 · 4 hours ago

Aaron Unthank Agreed. Whoever that guy is doesn't know much about a few guys named Brock, Gibson, Smith, McGee, White, etc.... Sheesh!!!

Like · 3 hours ago

James Leroy Braden Happy Birthday yes ditch the chew.

Like · Reply · 1 · 4 hours ago

Mary Margrave Happy birthday and hoping to see you back in St. Louis soon. Please trash the chew and go to bubble gum. Think of Tony Gwynn. Do you want that in your future? Learn from one of the greats! Its just not cool.

Like · Reply · 1 · 5 hours ago

Jordan Vodrazka People complaining about him chewing/dipping. Who cares? It's baseball. The players do that all the time.

Like · Reply · 1 · 6 hours ago

Chris Saltzman Doctor Mary Lou Lewis...its baseball..people chew..you dont like it change the channel.

Like · Reply · 1 · 7 hours ago

Andrew Streitmatter Him chewing does not make him less of a person so stop making a big deal about!! And yes I know the risk and he probably does too. Anyway happy birthday Oscar Tavares!!

Like · Reply · 1 · 7 hours ago

Nils Headley Dump the chewing tobacco.

Like · Reply · 1 · 8 hours ago · Edited

Patty Fletcher I agree with Judi, buddy. You need to quit the chew for your own health and the example you are setting for those who look up to you.

Like · Reply · 1 · 8 hours ago

Lola Brooks Rahar Happy Birthday! If that's tobacco in your mouth please STOP--so we can have you around a while! I'm a "cancer nurse" and mouth cancer AINT PRETTY!!

Tony Loyal Happy birthday Oscar. A good present to yourself would be to get that stuff out of your mouth while you're young. Tony Gwynn was once a hot young prospect like you and look where his habit got him (RIP Tony).

Sarah Clarkson I agree...ditch the chew or you will end up like the baseball player who just died at 54 from smokeless tobacco.

Like · Reply · 1 · 9 hours ago

Mary Eggemeyer Happy birthday and wishes for many, more so get rid of that gunk in your mouth.

Like · Reply · 1 · 9 hours ago

Nadine Shaffer Smith Happy Birthday!! Yes - I hope those are sunflower seeds stuffed in your lower lip.. If not It is not good for my grandchildren, who are die hard cardinal fans, to see.

Like · Reply · 3 · 9 hours ago

Rightfully so!

Edited by Киров
  • Like 1

Stopping by the Cafe for inspiration, I got some. Reading about Bernie Rice photo with wad in lower lip. Someone commented about Tony Gwynn's death June 16, 2014 a week ago. I hate baseball. Never cared about it, played, or liked it. But I do know about the Chew. I Googled him and this is the last paragraph of the entry in Wikipedia.

Gwynn had three procedures to remove noncancerous growths from his parotid gland since 1997. In 2010 he was diagnosed with cancer of a salivary gland and had lymph nodes and tumors from the gland removed.[138][139][140] The operation left his face partially paralyzed on the right side, leaving him unable to smile.[141] Later that year, he underwent eight weeks of chemotherapy and radiation treatments.[140] He was declared cancer free afterwards, and also regained his ability to smile.[141] Additional surgery was performed in 2012 to remove more cancerous growth and address nerve damage.[140] Gwynn attributed the cancer to the dipping tobacco habit that he had since playing rookie ball in Walla Walla in 1981.[141] Doctors, however, stated that studies had not linked parotid cancer with usage of chewing tobacco.[138][140][141]

After his playing career ended, Gwynn's weight peaked at 330 pounds (150 kg), and he underwent adjustable gastric banding surgery in 2009 in an attempt to lose weight. He did not closely adhere to the diet, and his weight loss began to stall. His weight problem led to a slipped disc in his back that affected a nerve down his leg in 2010. He needed a walker before he had the damaged disc removed to cure the pain while walking. Later, he experienced a loss of taste for food during radiation therapy for his cancer, and while being limited to a liquid diet, he lost 80 pounds (36 kg), all of which he regained after he resumed eating solid foods.[142]

During another round of cancer treatments in April 2014, a mishap occurred in which Gwynn lost oxygen and was barely able to move. He was sent to rehabilitation to learn how to walk again.[70] On June 16, 2014, Gwynn died at Pomerado Hospital in Poway due to complications from his cancer. He was 54 years old.[110][108][143] His heart had stopped the night before on Father's Day, when paramedics were called, and he was rushed from his home to the hospital.[69][108]

Guys - I am so glad I am done with dip. Only 190 days - and on my third quit. I need this site for reminders like this. I have a son who is 33 - ex-NFL player. He has dipped since high school. Nothing can reach him. Has not been to dentist for years. When I get a year or two under my belt, I will feel more ready to confront him with love. One of the worst things about dipping all these years - I was in no position to do that without being a hypocrite. Hats off to all who are in the quit game.

• Like 2

A couple of excellent posts below! I'm over 8 years nicotine-FREE now. If I were diagnosed with incurable cancer tomorrow, I do not regret a single day that I've been away from dip. There were a lot of very tough days after I quit at age 54, but the number of days with craves have by now far exceeded the bad ones.

As I've seen it many times:

I have never woke up even once since I quit and wished that I had caved the day before.

One crave, one hour, one day at a time back to FREEDOM from the can!!!

• Like 1