Quit Smokeless Community
Sign in to follow this  
Dave444

Quitting Soda

I think Soda has been making me ill lately.

Usually, I drink it by itself, so a can will be a small meal so to speak.

I eat healthy otherwise, but at the beginning of the day, I usually just drink a can of coke. Then another. Sometimes, it'll be the afternoon by the time I eat something if I'm on a third coke. That said, the calories are actually pretty low compared to if I eat, and I bet I burn it all, but lately, I've been feeling crappy.

So I'm trying to quit cold turkey so to speak. Trust me, I love the stuff. Goes good with everything.

Put it down on Friday the 4th. So:

Dave444 - 14 - had my first dream about the stuff yesterday

It's interesting that you posted this topic, Dave, because I used quitting Diet Coke as my catapult into tackling my nicotine addiction head on.

I was drinking Diet Coke too much, I mean WAAAAY too much, like 6-7 20 oz'ers a day. So one day I get a generic, forwarded email from a buddy about how bad diet beverages are for you...blah blah blah. Well, I decided "You know what, I drink too much of that shit, why not just have water with my meal?" That was the last time I had a Diet Coke, over two years ago. During my diet coke binging, I would always justify it because it had no calories. I would always say "Oh man, I can't drink regular coke, those are too sweet and syrupy!" Well, I was a quick convert to cokes after quitting diet. Fast forward to last December. I'm overweight by about 40'ish lbs, feeling sluggish, shitty, you get my drift. So at that point, I made my second lifestyle change. I began a full force effort to change my eating habits and began to exercise. I have not had a coke (that's a big category for you non-Southerners) since December 21. I am down in weight and feeling as good as I have in a long time. Now, quitting cokes alone didnt do all of that, but it's most definitely a part of it. Proper nutrition is so easy to overlook in our busy lives. With just a little planning, it's totally doable, and you body will reward you, I promise.

Great work Dave!

Edited by Tiger Refuge

Dave444 - 15 - Rough today, almost thought of having "just one" to go with some bbq ribs....

Anyway, thanks Tiger. Congrats to you for getting off of the stuff too, whether diet or otherwise. I figure analogs of sugar bind the same receptors as sugar does, so that can't be great. I wouldn't be the least surprised to really hear that these sweetners make you put on the pounds either, makes total sense. Get this one... once on vacation we were renting a beach house in a very hot dry area. My friend and I left our 1/2 finished cans of soda on the patio. The ants came in... these guys need water. My regular coke was covered in them. The diet coke - nothing... They must think it's poison.

I want to be done drinking sugar. It's poison too. So, I want off coke, Dr. Pepper, whatever, and crap like gatorade, etc.

I took a bunch of old widemouth glass bottles with lids (originally they were for pre-bottled tea), and started filling them with hot water and a tea bag, to make my own ice-tea.

Cost: $0.07 / bottle (0.06 for the tea, and estimating 0.01 for the water)

So, it's going to be like quitting dipping.

I think I short changed too just to kid myself... a lot of days, I could go thru 3 x 16 or 20 oz bottles, or 4 x 12 oz cans. It's a wonder my teeth are here.

I'm not really the overweight type, but recently grew kind of belly... it's disappearing.

Edited by Dave444

Dave444 - 16 - I totally caved a while back due to stress from work. I'm back on the wagon. Taking it more seriously. I'm totally going through heavy crave sessions.

The Quit Soda Thread - Sugary drinks (and those with artificial sweetners) are bad for you too. This thread is for those who want to quit these types of drinks to have a healthier lifestyle

May 4, 2015

########### Sugary Drink Quitters Sign in Below ###########

Dave444 - 14 - Fell off the wagon from last I posted, but back on it, it's water and unsweetened ice tea now for me.

Edited by Dave444

I've been off all soda since last Thanksgiving, mostly as a diet choice. I used to drink about one a day with dinner. Before quitting dip, I always had a bottle of diet pop around because I would eventually use the bottle as a spitter. Probably drank 3 a day.

I've been eating healthy and working out consistently since then, and I feel great. Debating whether to have a soda or a chocolate shake with my post half marathon meal over Memorial Weekend.

Edited by SpartanJD01

I've been off all soda since last Thanksgiving, mostly as a diet choice. I used to drink about one a day with dinner. Before quitting dip, I always had a bottle of diet pop around because I would eventually use the bottle as a spitter. Probably drank 3 a day.

I've been eating healthy and working out consistently since then, and I feel great. Debating whether to have a soda or a chocolate shake with my post half marathon meal over Memorial Weekend.

That sounds awesome, congrats. Yeah, I had no problems having about 3 a day like you, but recently, I started feeling really crappy from it, so I'm trying to stay off.

Though, I'll give you this one, normally, I do work out and eat right (except for sodas), and about a year and a half ago, I went to the biggest Brazilian jiu jitsu comp in the world, and right after, I had some beer and fast food. Went downhill from there, back on the cokes, etc. I'm finding like a lot of those guys in AA, that if I just have a can of coke, I just go right back... so for you, I vote for milkshake all the way after your race!

###########

The Quit Soda Thread - Sugary drinks (and those with artificial sweetners) are bad for you too. This thread is for those who want to quit these types of drinks to have a healthier lifestyle

May 6, 2015

Dave444 - 16 - Craved hard today.

Edited by Dave444

May 8, 2015

Dave444 - 18 - Craved again today.

May 9, 2015

Dave444 - 19 - Been tough at work, and outside, but got thru it yesterday.

May 11, 2015

Dave444 - 21 - Nice, day 21

May 13, 2015

Dave444 - 23 - Let's see if I can make it a month, already seeing changes on my body

May 16, 2015

Dave444 - 26 - I should weigh myself, I bet I have lost 5 lbs or so.

May 17, 2015

Dave444 - 27 - Body feels better, though, I have been getting headaches lately, which is really odd for me.

Edited by Dave444

May 20, 2015

Dave444 - 30 - Can't believe how much soda I used to put down. Eating so much healthier now and not even trying. Soda just went together with all the bad shit.

Edited by Dave444

May 21, 2015

Dave444 - 31 - I have been feeling great lately, way more energy.

Edited by Dave444

May 23, 2015

Dave444 - 33 - So nice not being a slave to that shit too. Want to keep going.

Tues, May 26, 2015

hwaml.com_1321440632_690.jpg

Dave444 - 36 - Tough the other day for sure.... was hiking down a mountain up in the Redwoods, then was all sore and beat the next day. Was driving, stopped by this cheese shop and they had cokes in a clear glass fridge... Seemed like coke for sure would have "healed me"...

Tues, May 26, 2015

Dave444 - 36 - Tough the other day for sure.... was hiking down a mountain up in the Redwoods, then was all sore and beat the next day. Was driving, stopped by this cheese shop and they had cokes in a clear glass fridge... Seemed like coke for sure would have "healed me"...

Bazza - I'm having a competition with my 2 boys to see who can go the longest without drinking a pop. Been pop free since Jan 1. I don't post all the time but when I do I will be sure to stop in here and support you in your efforts Dave444.

Thurs, May 28, 2015

Dave444 - 38 - Thanks for the support Bazza! And keep it up, not having pop is a good thing.

Edited by Dave444

Thurs, May 31, 2015

Dave444 - 41 - Unsweetened Iced Tea for me.

Thurs, June 3, 2015

Dave444 - 44 - Had some OJ on accident the other day, i need to decide what's "legal". Other than that its been just black tea, green tea, water, coffee (though for coffee - which I rarely drink - I did put half a spoon of sugar or honey. I need to wean that down)