Quit Smokeless Community
Sign in to follow this  
FightBack

Craving Sweets At Night - Help

I've been struggling to overcome a monster insatiable appetite for sweets in the evening. The cravings are intense, (about as bad as snuff cravings!!!)and usually start about 1 or 2 hours after I eat supper.

GIVE ME A GOB, A PIECE OF CARROT CAKE, GERMAN CHOCOLATE OR CHOCOLATE CAKE WITH PEANUT BUTTER ICING, A PIECE OF THICK NEW YORK STYLE CHEESE CAKE WITH CHERRIES ON TOP, ICE CREAM, COOKIES, REESE CUPS, MOUNDS, OATMEAL CREAMS, BREAD PUDDING WITH WHIPPED CREAM, HEAVY THICK PUMPKIN PIE WITH MOUNDS AND MOUNDS OF COOL WHIP, CHERRY TURNOVERS, APPLE CINAMON DANISHS, CREAM FILLED DONUTS, BLUEBERRY CAKE DONUTS, TOASTED COCONUT DONUTS. ETC.

I'm also diabetic which actually means I'm murdering my pancreas with every piece of cake, donut, mass carbohydrate food, etc., that I eat.

If I don't have a snack in the evening - I will toss and turn for an hour or two after I've gone to bed - unable to fall asleep. The only "cure" is for me to get up out of bed and have sweets - like 3 or 4 Reese Cups. Then and only then do I fall asleep. GRRRHHHH. Does anyone else experience this?

Does anyone have any tips on how to overcome these sweet cravings at night? Thanks.

FightBack

Edited by FightBack

I'm not sure if this counts, but I get this too. Although, I work overnight, so night is day for me. I had hoped the sweet cravings would pass, and when I used the smokey mountain fake chew, they kind of did, but they seem to be strong as ever. For me, at least in part, it probably has to do with the reduction in drinking I had to do when I quit; i've heard quitting drinking makes you crave more sugar. Snuff also contains an assload of sugar. All that being said, I've tried to use the sugar in fruit to deal with it. I have an apple and a fruit bar over an 8 to 10 hour period and I think my body has adjusted well to it.

Maybe it's the lesser of two evils, we all have our vices, but I understand it can be dangerous for diabetics. Either way, just my two cents, best of luck mate.