Quit Smokeless Community
Sign in to follow this  
Hoggle

New quitter here

Today is my first full day without any nicotine.  I've been a slave to that little can since 1985.  I'm going to retire to Florida soon; I'm not bringing that can with me.

Now, I'm scared, but excited too.  I know I can do this, but I need accountability.  I like the concept of posting a promise every day.  I'll be doing that for as long as you folks will have me as a member.

Well, it's dinnertime here at good old Hoggleshire.  I'll come back later tonight, then will post my promise first thing tomorrow.

Hey, this is getting easy.  The craves are still there, but now I feel better.  

I would have gone out and bought a can this morning, but I'm not gonna do that.  I said I won't, and I meant it.  

I have more to write, but my thoughts are too muddled to put in words now.  Everything in my mind is slopped together, like watercolors in the rain.

This DOES get better, right?  

Damn, now I'm getting a craving so bad, I can't think anymore.  I can't even remember my own middle name now, no kidding.  Do you know that feeling?  Like being drunk, but without the pleasant 'high' that goes with it.  This will go away; I know this because I got that same feeling twice yesterday, and it went away both times.  But for now, I have to just post this and go rest for a bit.  Relax; I'll be fine.  ;)

[Edited to add:  Right after I posted that message, the feeling went away.  Guess the coffee I had with lunch finally kicked in.  I'm not really craving now, but I prolly will later.  Will be following this board very closely from now on.]

Edited by Hoggle

Yes Brother.  Quitting plays a lot of tricks with your head at first, but breaking away and earning your freedom from tobacco is so worth it.  For the next couple of weeks at least it is scorched earth time.  Do WHATEVER it takes not to use tobacco.  Staying quit one-day-at-a-time has to be the #1 priority.  Read everything you can on here and post a lot.  If you have not read Bluesman's post then read it.  If you have read it, then read it again.  Hit me or any of the other guys on here up for advice and support.  The brutal fight for your freedom from tobacco has begun.  It will be the fight of your life.  Game On!!!  Let's kick this addiction's ass.

Brother?  Oh, you mean me...well, I'm a bit too girly to be anyone's brother, but thanks anyway.  :P  In case you're wondering, I'm agender - not to be nit-picky, but I prefer the term 'sibling'.

Anyhoo...I'm getting back to normal, bit by bit.  I'm not really freaking out anymore.  I did some research, and found that nicotine withdrawal ends within 72 hours.  I'll get to that 72 hour mark by around 3PM today.  So I guess my feeling a little better is to be expected.

This is getting easier by the minute.  I'm happier and feeling better.  But we will have to wait and see what comes next.

I think I'm starting to understand how this accountability thing works.

The only reason why I didn't buy a can this morning is because I promised I wouldn't.  I always keep my promises to the very best of my ability.

Is this why we post roll?  So we have an incentive to stay quit - namely, our integrity?

Your sibling in Quit, Hoggle.

2 hours ago, Hoggle said:

I think I'm starting to understand how this accountability thing works.

The only reason why I didn't buy a can this morning is because I promised I wouldn't.  I always keep my promises to the very best of my ability.

Is this why we post roll?  So we have an incentive to stay quit - namely, our integrity?

Your sibling in Quit, Hoggle.

That's exactly how this accountability thing works. If you make a promise to something or better yet, someone, to stay quit, there will be many times early on that being beholden to that thing or person, is the only reason we stay quit. After some time, we begin to figure out that the real "normal", doesn't have to involve being a slave to tobacco. 

Welcome to your new journey. Please, hang out and post roll call every day. The only way that this site works and survives is if people are here posting. Battling. Winning. Sharing.