Quit Smokeless Community
Sign in to follow this  
Iwanttoquitfinally

Scared I have cancer

New to the forum. I have a white patch on my tongue for three weeks that refuses to heal. I’m a former smoker that’s been dipping for 20 years now. I’ve scheduled an appt with an oral surgeon next Friday to biopsy. The waiting is killing me. I fear I’ve found this forum too late. I’ve just thrown my last can away with hopes this is just a scare. I’ll keep the forum posted. In the meantime would appreciate any words of wisdom to stay quit. I hate living like this. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Iwanttoquitfinally said:

New to the forum. I have a white patch on my tongue for three weeks that refuses to heal. I’m a former smoker that’s been dipping for 20 years now. I’ve scheduled an appt with an oral surgeon next Friday to biopsy. The waiting is killing me. I fear I’ve found this forum too late. I’ve just thrown my last can away with hopes this is just a scare. I’ll keep the forum posted. In the meantime would appreciate any words of wisdom to stay quit. I hate living like this. 

First off, welcome. I’m glad you found us. I hope your cancer scare turns out to be just that...a scare. God knows I went through several of those myself. Stick around. Read the site. There is a ton of info here.

Words of wisdom to stay quit? One day(crave) at a time. That’s it. Win that, and you win. Period. 

If you haven’t do so already, post up in the September Pre HOF group.

Welcome Iwanttoquitfinally! I dipped for 25 years and smoked as well. In fact you'll see many similar stories here. My best advice is: water, rest (turn in early), if you can't sleep go walk or run, keep your mouth busy, post here daily to get encouragement every day that it is possible, and desire (always remember why you want to get rid of this crap). Post up in September Quit group. I'd love to see you there.

FoodBuzz - 177 Days quit!

Well I’m back from the oral surgeon. Surgery scheduled for the 20th. He didn’t like what he saw and wants to completely excise and then biopsy and determine next steps. I’m scared. I asked him what happens if it comes back cancer and he said there’s a whole decision tree and to cross each bridge as we come to it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Iwanttoquitfinally said:

Well I’m back from the oral surgeon. Surgery scheduled for the 20th. He didn’t like what he saw and wants to completely excise and then biopsy and determine next steps. I’m scared. I asked him what happens if it comes back cancer and he said there’s a whole decision tree and to cross each bridge as we come to it. 

Thanks for the update. Now we have to wait for that next bridge. We'll be here for you as much as it is possible on an online forum. This is a pretty good place to vent. You could go to one of the quit groups and post roll call too. You'll have some additional support there.

• Like 1