Roll Call

May 2008 HOF Roll Call

Never Give Up and Get Quit

January 22nd, 2008

May 2008 Quitters Post Here

Cornucopia - Day 1

TK421- Day 1, only 99 days and a wake up call left to go

Veterans

Rooster 192 ~ You Go Cornucopia! Welcome Back and Stick with us!

Muddler - 150 - Glad to see you back Cornucopia, Get 'er done this time.

cboater - 7 I know I'm still a newbie but I am fighting and winning. Remember if you want one you can't have it IT WILL KILL YOU.

BigMac - 29. If all else fails, try Bupropion. It's working wonders for me. No cravings and very few "triggers" in almost a week.

Bone - 219 Welcome back Cornucopia!

MTBlood - 74, Yeah!! Cornucopia is the first quitter!!

micanic- 315- Hang tough Cornucopia- NO Excuses- Just stay quit!

truckerick - 101 - And... there is always "Truckerick's Patented Protein Supplement" This is designed to puke a dog off a gut truck. If this don't cure you nothing will.

How to keep our Roll Call the Same as it's Been

1. JUST HIT REPLY AND THEN LOOK FOR THE QUOTE BOXES.

2. LOOK FOR THE QUOTE BOXES [QUOT] . THEY SHOULD BE THE ENTIRE FIRST LINE AND THE LAST LINE.

3. YOU MUST REMOVE THESE OR THE NEXT PERSON WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ROLL AS IT WILL NOT CONTINUE A QUOTE

(AT LEAST I HAVEN'T SEEN IT DO THAT).

4. POST ROLL

5. HIT ENTER

These are my directions ... hopefully they make sense B)

May 2008 HOF Roll Call

January 22nd, 2008

Cornucopia - Day 1

Veterans

cboater - 7 I know I'm still a newbie but I am fighting and winning. Remember if you want one you can't have it IT WILL KILL YOU.

BigMac - 29. If all else fails, try Bupropion. It's working wonders for me. No cravings and very few "triggers" in almost a week.

truckerick - 101 - And... there is always "Truckerick's Patented Protein Supplement" This is designed to puke a dog off a gut truck. If this don't cure you nothing will.

tt_dipper - 366 - Welcome new MAY quitters!!!! Glad you could join us.

2. LOOK FOR THE QUOTE BOXES [QUOT] . THEY SHOULD BE THE ENTIRE FIRST LINE AND THE LAST LINE.

3. YOU MUST REMOVE THESE OR THE NEXT PERSON WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ROLL AS IT WILL NOT CONTINUE A QUOTE

4. POST ROLL

5. HIT ENTER

May 2008 HOF Roll Call

January 22nd, 2008

Cornucopia - Day 1

Veterans

NMB -59- Quitting will be the best decision you ever made.

4. POST ROLL

5. HIT ENTER

May 2008 HOF Roll Call

January 22nd, 2008

Cornucopia - Day 1

Veterans

Ravens502 - 101 - Welcome Quitters!

4. POST ROLL

5. HIT ENTER

May 2008 HOF Roll Call

January 22nd, 2008

Cornucopia - Day 1

Veterans

hytek - 530

4. POST ROLL

5. HIT ENTER

May 2008 HOF Roll Call

January 22nd, 2008

Cornucopia - Day 1

Veterans

hytek - 530

imskratty - 350 - come on in May quitters! I'm from the May 2007 group - YOU CAN DO IT ONE DAY AT A TIME - IMAGINE FREEDOM: IT'S YOURS FOR THE TAKING. DO IT!

4. POST ROLL

5. HIT ENTER

May 2008 HOF Roll Call

January 22nd, 2008

Cornucopia - Day 1

Veterans

hytek - 530

imskratty - 350 - come on in May quitters! I'm from the May 2007 group - YOU CAN DO IT ONE DAY AT A TIME - IMAGINE FREEDOM: IT'S YOURS FOR THE TAKING. DO IT!

fitbutstupid - 88 - Yeeaahhh? Cornucopia is back for good!

4. POST ROLL

5. HIT ENTER

Cornucopia and TK421 - On behalf of the MAY 07 MAYniacs, welcome. A year ago, we began our journey to freedom just as you have today.. We hope to establish a strong bond and support network between our groups... You will see us posting in your group a lot.. I hope you'll come visit us in the May 07 node too. You guys just became family...

Cornucopia and TK421 - On behalf of the MAY 07 MAYniacs, welcome. A year ago, we began our journey to freedom just as you have today.. We hope to establish a strong bond and support network between our groups... You will see us posting in your group a lot.. I hope you'll come visit us in the May 07 node too. You guys just became family...

Sort of like Borg assimilation!!! B)

Eight of Twelve

May 2008 HOF Roll Call

January 22nd, 2008

Cornucopia - Day 1

zexis- day 1 ( i think i posted wrong im a noob i will learn) lets make this quit the last quit!

Veterans

hytek - 530

4. POST ROLL

5. HIT ENTER

Sort of like Borg assimilation!!! B)

Eight of Twelve

Resistance is Futile You will be Assimilated!!!

zexis- day 1 ( i think i posted wrong im a noob i will learn) lets make this quit the last quit!

Hey Zex - my May brother.. Didn't I PM you my number a few days back?? Whassup with the Day 1 today? Glad your back.. where I can keep a closer eye on ya!

Let's keep it real in here boys.. MAYniacs and their offspring don't put up with half-assin' it.. As it stands, you three are the group's leaders, are you ready for that responsibility?? Better be..

I care as much about your quit as I do my own... If you cave, I have failed you. I, however, refuse to fail you.

What is your freedom worth?... discuss..

C'mon MAY 08... you CAN do this.

Hey Zex - my May brother.. Didn't I PM you my number a few days back?? Whassup with the Day 1 today? Glad your back.. where I can keep a closer eye on ya!

Let's keep it real in here boys.. MAYniacs and their offspring don't put up with half-assin' it.. As it stands, you three are the group's leaders, are you ready for that responsibility?? Better be..

I care as much about your quit as I do my own... If you cave, I have failed you. I, however, refuse to fail you.

What is your freedom worth?... discuss..

C'mon MAY 08... you CAN do this.

Yup....and if'n you don't, we'll start up with Val's-Curling-Terminology-A-Day quiz!!

Allright....relax.....here's one. Just to whet your appetite!!

On the Broom:

A correctly aimed shot that starts out directly at the broom held by the skip; opposite of off the broom.

yea ya did give me your number. the reason i had asked for that is cuz i caved, then got back on nicorette. this day one is my first day completely free from nicotine, as well as shit-in-a-can.

For those of you who don't know, this quitting thing goes through ALOT of cycles and ALOT of up and downs. One of the things that helped me through was hearing my fellow brothers tell me about their struggles. I was the last one of my group, so I got to see how 20 of the 22 group members suffered a down period or some pretty rough craves all on day 14....so when my day 14 came, I was prepared that it might just be a pretty difficult day. Amazingly, many of us had similar experiences on the same quit day.

Don't be shy about admitting you are having a rough day or a tough time. I have unleashed the truth to my group when I needed support. Doesn't matter if you are on day 2 or day 23,893....if you are having a tough time, ask for help! No one will think any lesser of you if you ask for help. Is protecting your "manly image" that important that you are willing to sacrafice your LIFE? And if some people do make fun of you, when a tough moment in their life arises, they may sacrafice their life to maintain that "tough as nails" image. Atleast YOU are still ALIVE!

This site is great...it helps you when you need help. There is a nonstop fountain of support here....And when you are not in need of help, it sure feels great (and adds just a touch more acocuntability) to help someone else out.

The first few weeks of a quit are several weeks I NEVER want to live through again. After week 3 (usually), you will finally get a brief taste of TRUE FREEDOM. Life will be awesome! You will, for the first time, finally understand WHY you started this journey. And then the quit cycles around and you deal with craves again....not as intense or as long as the first few weeks....and then you climb out of that valley and taste freedom again! It keeps repeating. Those tough days, you have to remember HOW GREAT those good days felt. Sometimes you have to remind yourself of your fears of dipping, the choice you made to not dip, the reasons behind your quit...those will slingshot you back to the good days when nothing else seems to work.

When things get tough, and they do, put your head down, remember WHY you are doing this, and think about how a dip is going to solve anything. It won't. If you think you feel bad at that moment, 2 seconds after you put that dip in, you will feel a hundred times worse.

Believe in yourself! Think positive. And keep moving FORWARD!!!!

penguin

Posted – Dec 29 2006

Snoydosaurus

WyBo,

Here's some food for thought. My mother was diagnosed 10 years ago with lung cancer. She had smoked 40 years (2 packs/day) prior to that. The day she got the bad news, she put the cigarettes down for good. No quit groups, no complaining about withdrawals, nothing. She survived smoke-free 5 years then passed away from her nicotene habit.

I remember many of her quits. She would quit for a week then cave, usually blaming it on someone else. The neighbors, the grocery store bag boy, teller at the bank, my father, me, her sisters, her father, you name it.

When she quit for good 5 years prior to her death, I remember the guilt she had, knowing that she had not only hurt herself, but her family. All she could do was ask our forgiveness for not putting down the cancer sticks earlier. All those excuses for caving or not starting her quit seemed selfish and stupid as she looked back on her life. You tend to do alot of looking back on your life when you know death is near.

Personally, I've dipped Skoal since 1983. I'm 51 days into my quit. I know what you are going through. We all have knowledge about our nasty addiction that probably hasn't been shared with the closest of loved ones. But we all know the addiction and what it will make you do. That makes us a family. We're brothers. I know you, and you know me. I have quit before, and the longest was 2 years. "Just one for old time's sake" was my downfall that time.

This time I know better. I know I can never smoke, dip, chew nicotene again.... EVER. They say alcoholics are always "recovering". I believe the same is true for nicotene addicts.

Good luck in your quit. Drink water, post often here. Never let your mind talk yourself into caving. Your mind will play some serious tricks on you. "If I start dipping, at least that's xx days I was dip free." "Better than nothing", "at least I tried", Etc.

Don't tell yourself I can do this, say "I WILL do this". It does get easier, but you can never forget those first days. Even though I'm only 51 days quit, I still find it helpful to come to the new quit groups and experience the suck all over again, second hand. Sometimes I wish I'd kept a journal of the first several weeks as a reference and motivator. If I cave, I'll need to relive those three days all over again on the next quit.

Stay strong brothers! You are truly embarking on the beginning of a life changing experience.

INFO FOR THE NEWCOMER – Quitters within their first few weeks. Know your enemy!

Rob aka Indy

We are Nicotine Addicts! Recovery is a temporary period of re-adjustment during which the mind and body are allowed to undergo an amazing healing process. It's a period when the brain is permitted to physically re-sensitize neuronal pathways to again functioning without nicotine. It’s giving the subconscious mind time to encounter and break free of years of dependency conditioning, and the conscious thinking mind an opportunity to adapt to the physical changes, cope with re-conditioning, and transverse years of dependency rationalizations. It’s allowing yourself the time needed to arrive at a day when "you" can again comfortably engage all aspects of life without a physical, subconscious or conscious need for nicotine.

Although we should expect anxiety producing bumps in the road, with each passing day fewer and fewer thoughts of wanting to chew will occur. Recovery is the period when deeply ingrained psychological nicotine feeding cues, fathered by true chemical dependency, are broken. It's a matter of staying prepared, as a few such cues may be seasonal, mood related or associated with infrequent activities or events.

Whether nicotine dependency was established and/or maintained by being chewed, smoked, drank, snuffed, sprayed, swallowed, sucked, licked or patched, in the end there is only one way out - no nicotine today.

Every recovery is different. The number and intensity of effects noticed or felt varies from person to person, and even between each person's own cessation experiences. Many are surprised to find that they experience almost no symptoms at all while others are confronted with multiple symptoms. The number and types of particular feeding cues selected and formed by endless compliance with the mind's chemical demand for nicotine refueling also cause each person's recovery experience to be almost unique.

By understanding some of the symptoms and effects it may be possible, in some instances, to minimize their impact by thought or action. Removing the mystery associated with the sequencing and timing of withdrawal and recovery will hopefully make you feel like you have your very own roadmap to the rich sense of comfort, mental quiet and calm awaiting you at the other end of Freedom's Road. We didn't suck tissue destroying weeds composed of over 4,000 chemicals that included ammonia, formaldehyde, arsenic, butane, hydrogen cyanide, lead, mercury, vinyl chloride, methane or vast quantities of other poisons into our body because we wanted to watch each chew destroy a bit more of our bodies. We did so to get to the nicotine. Is it time to end our own senseless self-destruction?

Nicotine is a colorless, odorless, organic-based alkaloid in the same family as cocaine, morphine, quinine and strychnine, yet it is more poisonous than either arsenic or strychnine. Although cocaine and heroin both produce powerfully intoxicating illegal highs, governments, experts and studies now tell us that neither is as effective at creating chemical "dependency" as nicotine. The one-year success rate for those who go through heroin withdrawal is roughly 20%, whereas with nicotine it’s closer to 5%. Except for the type of high experienced and that fact that our stimulant is legal, we truly are drug addicts, just as much as the addicts that fill jails and prisons around the globe. In 1998 tobacco killed 25 times more Americans than all illegal drugs combined (418,690 to 16,926 - U.S. Center for Disease Control).

"Quitting Chewing"

A Fate Worse than Death?

People sitting in at chewing clinics are amazed at how resistant chewers are to giving up chew. Even chewers will sit and listen to horror stories of other participants in sheer disbelief. Some chewers have had multiple heart attacks, circulatory conditions resulting in amputations, cancers, emphysema and a host of other disabling and deadly diseases. How in the world could these people have continued chewing after all that? Some of these chewers are fully aware that chewing is crippling and killing them, but continue to chew anyway. A legitimate question asked by any sane chewer or nonchewer is, “why?”

The answer to such a complex issue is really quite simple. The chewer often has chew so tied into his lifestyle that he feels when he gives up chewing he will give up all activities associated with chew. Considering these activities include almost everything he does from the time he awakes to the time he goes to sleep, life seems like it will not be worth living as an ex-chewer. The chewer is also afraid he will experience the painful withdrawal symptoms from not chewing as long as he deprives himself of chew. Considering all this, quitting chewing creates a greater fear than dying from chewing.

If the chewer were correct in all his assumptions of what life as an ex-chewer were like, then maybe it would not be worth it to quit. But all these assumptions are wrong. There is life after chewing, and withdrawal does not last forever. Trying to convince the chewer of this, though, is quite an uphill battle. These beliefs are deeply ingrained and are conditioned from the false positive effects experienced from chew.

The chewer often feels that he needs a chew in order to get out of bed in the morning. Typically, when he awakes he feels a slight headache, tired, irritable, depressed and disoriented. He is under the belief that all people awake feeling this way. He is fortunate though, because he has a way to stop these horrible feelings. He chew a chew or two. Then he begins waking up and feels human again. Once he is awake, he feels he needs chew to give him energy to make it through the day. When he is under stress and nervous, the chew calm him down. Giving up this wonder drug seems ludicrous to him.

But if he quits chewing he will be pleasantly surprised to find out that he will feel better and be able to cope with life more efficiently than when he was a chewer. When he wakes up in the morning, he will feel tremendously better than when he awoke as a chewer. No longer will he drag out of bed feeling horrible. Now he will wake up feeling well rested and refreshed. In general, he will be calmer than when he chewed. Even when under stress, he normally will not experience the panic reactions he used to feel whenever his nicotine level fell below acceptable levels. The belief that chew were needed for energy is one of the most deceptive of all. Almost any ex-chewer will attest that he has more strength, endurance, and energy than he ever did as a chewer. And the fear of prolonged withdrawal also had no merit, for withdrawal symptoms would peak within three days, and totally subside within two weeks.

If any chewer just gives himself the chance to really feel how nice not chewing is, he will no longer have the irrational fears which keeps him maintaining his deadly addiction. He will find life will become simpler, happier, cleaner, and most importantly healthier, than when he was a chewer. His only fear will now be in relapsing to chewing and all he has to do to prevent this is - NEVER TAKE ANOTHER DIP!

Joel

© Joel Spitzer 1985, 2000

Page last updated by Joel Spitzer on August 24, 2003

May 2008 HOF Roll Call

January 22nd, 2008

Cornucopia - Day 1

Veterans

hytek - 530

Falcoshane - 211 -- Never Give Up!! Forgot to post earlier today.... lol.

4. POST ROLL

5. HIT ENTER

May 2008 HOF Roll Call

January 24nd, 2008

Veterans

NMB -60- Today's a great day to be quit!

4. POST ROLL

5. HIT ENTER

May 2008 HOF Roll Call

January 24nd, 2008

Veterans

Ravens 502 -102- Mornin' Quitters!

4. POST ROLL

5. HIT ENTER

May 2008 HOF Roll Call

January 24th, 2008

Veterans

Falcoshane - 212 Reclaim your life, Quit Now!!

------------------------------------------

2. THE QUOTE BOXES LOOK LIKE THIS

[/quote ] .

2. THEY SHOULD BE THE ENTIRE FIRST LINE AND THE LAST LINE.

3. (AT LEAST I HAVEN'T SEEN IT DO THAT).

4. POST ROLL

5. HIT ENTER