• Announcements

• Flavius Victor

Site Updates / Maintenance   06/10/2017

Read more about our weekend's maintenance activities and what you can expect in our blog post.
Luke's Dad

Runner's World

8,438 posts in this topic

2.25 miles today in negative degree weather 17.30 minutes. I'm working on speed not distance when it is this fricking cold.

2.25 miles today in negative degree weather 17.30 minutes. I'm working on speed not distance when it is this fricking cold.

Yikes!

That IS fricking cold....Minnesota, right?

I ran on Monday and it was pretty cold here (Atlanta) - in the 20's. I made the mistake of running 2 days in a row and the IT band did NOT like it. At mile 3 it seized up and that was all she wrote. Had to call Mr. Hawke to come get me. Iced the leg down at the knee and hip and took 2 ibuprophen, then it was fine. Haven't run since then, just giving it a break. B)

Yikes!

I ran on Monday and it was pretty cold here (Atlanta) - in the 20's. I made the mistake of running 2 days in a row and the IT band did NOT like it. At mile 3 it seized up and that was all she wrote. Had to call Mr. Hawke to come get me. Iced the leg down at the knee and hip and took 2 ibuprophen, then it was fine. Haven't run since then, just giving it a break. B)

I'll be in a T-shirt and shorts when it gets back to the 20s here Jan! Just kidding. Honestly, if you dress for it, it is not too bad. I wear running tights, thick poly running pants, long-sleeve underarmor, hooded Nike fit sweatshirt, wind-breaker, face mask and stocking cap with hood pulled over and sunglasses. It still beats the treadmill. I hope your leg is better.

i believe running is bad for the ankles and knees. i think the joints are affected somehow. i ran cross country in jr high and i sucked. used to bike like it was going out of style. sometimes 40 miles a day and it didn't even wear me out. that is back when i was a smoker too, but i was 19 so go figure. i quit biking because apparently it can make men impotent by cutting off the blood supply. the seats made to counter this look lame so now all i do is walk, but i would swim if i had access to a pool. i'm going to start lifting weights again because i believe physical activity could really help me quit for good this time.

I used to jog at least 6 miles four to six times a week, sometimes more. I did this for many years. I got out of the habit this summer when it got really hot, now the excuse is that it's too cold! But tonight I finally got out and jogged. I only did 4.5 miles, but once I get back in the regular habit, I'll try to do the full 6 miles again. I'm pretty slow, but it keeps my weight in check and helps me clear my mind in the evenings after a long day at work.

i believe running is bad for the ankles and knees. i think the joints are affected somehow. i ran cross country in jr high and i sucked. used to bike like it was going out of style. sometimes 40 miles a day and it didn't even wear me out. that is back when i was a smoker too, but i was 19 so go figure. i quit biking because apparently it can make men impotent by cutting off the blood supply. the seats made to counter this look lame so now all i do is walk, but i would swim if i had access to a pool. i'm going to start lifting weights again because i believe physical activity could really help me quit for good this time.

I believe you make as many excuses not to exercise as you do to not stay quit. Just asking you to take a look at that habit. If you spend more time doing and less time making excuses you will get a lot farther in life.

Jogged 4.2 miles this morning in 10 degrees weather and it felt fuckin great. I was singing Rocky songs the whole time. I guarantee without exercise i would not be quit still, it is by far my best weapon against the nic bitch and to stay at a comfortable level of sanity! B)^_^ :)

Jogged 4.2 miles this morning in 10 degrees weather and it felt fuckin great. I was singing Rocky songs the whole time. I guarantee without exercise i would not be quit still, it is by far my best weapon against the nic bitch and to stay at a comfortable level of sanity! B)^_^ :)

Congrats on the run, dosn...personally, I can't stand running in weather this cold. But if it helps you battle craves, then keep doing it! Don't forget to use your other resources, though....posting, reading, chatting, phone calls, etc.

I think the guy who claimed that biking cut off the blood supply and made men impotent is only half right. It sounds like it cut off the blood to his brain. Besides, he doesn't have the balls to stay quit...and if he has no balls, then he's obviously already impotent! ^_^

dos, i get out more than the average american... much more. i cross country ski, walk, lift weights, and in the summer i go swimming off my boat instead of just driving it out into the middle of the lake and drink like 99% of everyone else. i am having a hard time with quitting chew. i hope they don't ban me from this site for posting while actively using, but i am quitting drinking, and since august more days have been dip free than with dip. i'm not on this site to putz around, i want to quit more than anything. i am frustrated and mad at myself for not doing so.

i am having a hard time with quitting chew. i hope they don't ban me from this site for posting while actively using, but i am quitting drinking, and since august more days have been dip free than with dip. i'm not on this site to putz around, i want to quit more than anything. i am frustrated and mad at myself for not doing so.

I believe that until you have made the commitment to quit you should go somewhere else and post. This is first and foremost a place for people to offer and get support for quitting dip. Either you want it or not, you can not be a part time dipper/part time quitter. When you're ready to quit you're more than welcome to come in here and get the support just like everyone else, but you need to stop stuffing your lip full of the shit first and make that commitment to yourself. I only hope you do it sooner than later. Cancer is a bitch, ask Jenny Kern.

Set a record for myself yesterday and ran in two degree weather. Can't explain it but the colder it is the better the run. Got 13 pounds to lose and I see it happening in three months. It's great to see some of the same folks back in the day still sticking with it. I managed to take some time off but I'm back in the game and it could not be better. Keep hitting the pavement and the results will show both mentally and physically.

dos, i get out more than the average american... much more. i cross country ski, walk, lift weights, and in the summer i go swimming off my boat instead of just driving it out into the middle of the lake and drink like 99% of everyone else. i am having a hard time with quitting chew. i hope they don't ban me from this site for posting while actively using, but i am quitting drinking, and since august more days have been dip free than with dip. i'm not on this site to putz around, i want to quit more than anything. i am frustrated and mad at myself for not doing so.

Dude,

I commend you for wanting to stop chewing and for actually not drinking. I had to stop drinking for the first 30 days of my quit because I am a weak son of a bitch when I drink. I could count on one hand how many times I have had a drink in the past 25 years and not had some form of nicotine. I am taking baby steps with the booze over the past 15 days. I am however going to a huge Birthday party tonight and will have huge temptations but I will not use the nic. Quit putting it off and throw that tin in the trash brother.

3.5 miles today and it felt great. I feel so much better when i get in my run. it changes my whole perspective on life. I am getting way more from my exercise since i quit the wormdirt though! Keep up the battle dudes, it really is worth it today.

where's all the runners? 4.5 miles today and it felt great as usual. I saw somebody post in fitness central about how to combat lack of motivation to work out. He tells himself if he feels to tired or what not, that he will quit after 15 minutes if he cant keep working out, but it never happens! I think that is a very good strategy to use to trick ourselves into working out more often.

where's all the runners? 4.5 miles today and it felt great as usual. I saw somebody post in fitness central about how to combat lack of motivation to work out. He tells himself if he feels to tired or what not, that he will quit after 15 minutes if he cant keep working out, but it never happens! I think that is a very good strategy to use to trick ourselves into working out more often.

KennyB-Only a short fast 1 miler today. I am trying to do more cross training to help improve overall fitness instead of just running. I ran two full and one half marathon last year and really need to do some strenght and cross this year.

Yikes!

I have not run for the last two weeks and it is driving me crazy. I have a doctor's appointment this Friday to discuss my IT band issue. It was fine and then I screwed it up.

Currently, I am signed up to run a 10K here in March.

It is 47 today and except for the wind it would be perfect for running.

Up at 5:00am and on the treadmill by 5:30am for 3.5. I am going to force myself to be a morning runner and not lunch time. Only problem is I cannot remember to bring everything with me and always end up having to drive back to my house to pick up crap. Probably still a bit of concentration issues from the quit and a bit of not yet awake. I need some warmer weather up here in Michigan so I can hit the trails. We are supposed to get 10" of snow in the next 24 hrs. Any of you Southern boys need to count your blessings.

M.A.D. Update (Miles Against Dip)

Distance: 2.8/2.8 Total

Time: 32 Mins (Including 4 min cooldown)

Speed: 5.5 Avg

First time back on the treadmill after a 9 month absence. Pushed a little too hard and ran at 5.5 --- my old 35 yo body can't handle that like my 30 yo body could. Need to go to target and trade in 35 yo body for 30 yo body, must keep 35 yo mind though. Problem is I don't have a receipt.

Put in a nice 5 miler this morning at the gym. Stomach was not feeling so good due to some bad food choices last night at a kids b-day party. In spite of feeling as though I may crap myself I ran the 5 in 48:30. Tommorow is cross training and weights.

I always jog outside, and with the cold weather, I just have not been very consistent lately. I had stopped completely for several months. Then I jogged 4.5 miles sometime last week, then 6 miles a couple days later. After more than a week, I forced myself to get back out there tonight and put in another 6 miles. I was never very fast, but I'm even slower now than I was earlier last year. But that's OK...I'm not trying to set any records. I just want to keep my heart healthy, clear my mind in the evenings, and hopefully lose enough weight so that I can go back to eating pizza and other food I love!

Jogged another 6 miles last night (2/3). The weather was better, but I'm still not if the full jogging mode. Just a little bit faster than the last jog.

M.A.D. Update (Miles Against Dip)

Distance: 2.8/2.8 Total

Time: 32 Mins (Including 4 min cooldown)

Speed: 5.5 Avg

First time back on the treadmill after a 9 month absence. Pushed a little too hard and ran at 5.5 --- my old 35 yo body can't handle that like my 30 yo body could. Need to go to target and trade in 35 yo body for 30 yo body, must keep 35 yo mind though. Problem is I don't have a receipt.

35 years is old? Hey, man, I have you by 8 years. ^_^ Keep at it and it will get better. A few years ago I could not run a quarter without panting like a dog. Now I run half marathons and have a 20.70 trail run coming up this Saturday, and I am going to try to go the marathon distance in April. If a fat 43 year old buffalo can do this, than I know anyone can! Plus I just signed up last night to bike across Kansas in June! Let's get active! And if all it takes is KA coming in to stir your pot daily in the political thread, then I know you will have a successful quit! B) Heck, if I would have known that, I would have spouted off some of that stuff for ya....

35 years is old? Hey, man, I have you by 8 years. ^_^ Keep at it and it will get better. A few years ago I could not run a quarter without panting like a dog. Now I run half marathons and have a 20.70 trail run coming up this Saturday, and I am going to try to go the marathon distance in April. If a fat 43 year old buffalo can do this, than I know anyone can! Plus I just signed up last night to bike across Kansas in June! Let's get active! And if all it takes is KA coming in to stir your pot daily in the political thread, then I know you will have a successful quit! B) Heck, if I would have known that, I would have spouted off some of that stuff for ya....

Damn, now you're talking about me in this thread! ^_^ I think you guys secretly like me! ^_^

I'm 46 yrs old, but I still get out there and run as much as I can. Correction...I jog. I'm so slow, I don't feel it's appropriate to call what I do "running". But last night I jogged another 6 miles. I thought my speed would start getting a little faster by now (closer to the speed I was running this past summer), but I'm still going slow. I still feel stiff and my muscles are sore afterwards (yes, I stretch first). The good news is that the weather here was great last night, for this time of year. Supposed to be around 70 today, but it is raining, so I probably will have an excuse not to jog tonight.

3.5 miles on the treadmill at lunch in 33:40. Heading out to Tahoe this Saturday for some skiing so I am doing all I can to get the legs strenghtend.

New news from the dr. today...no hernia. That is a good thing....but the bad thing, I still don' t know what is killing my hip. I only got about 100 miles in last year running...gave up after June due to pain issues. Beautiful weather today and tomorrow, yet I have to sit on my flippers and sulk in my misery. A January 09 marathon is not looking good. But if I can get things squared away (figure out what is causing my hip issue), I will be back to running a good clilp regulary in about a month from the fixing of my problem.

To all you runners! Keep running! Keep stats....and run a few extra feet every run for me! I am dieing here.... B)