Quit Smokeless Community
Luke's Dad

Runner's World

Not running related but just stumbled upon my hall of fame speech and it really brought back memories of the struggle after quitting.  I am so thankful for this site and all of you guys.  I don't post in my July 2008 group anymore because everyone had stopped a long time ago.  We had a fun group.  I am glad to have the running forum as I still like to be connected to the site and especially my MAD brothers.  Here is my HOF speech if anyone wants to read.  Please post your as well!

• Like 1

MILES AGAINST DIP

Oct. 14 - Oct. 29, 2017: 28.50 MAD

...........................9,876.00 MAD total

Footwear: Lone Peaks

Weight: hovering around 180 

2017 race schedule:

01.14.17: Resolution Trail Run 4 hours: Complete: 6+ loops (16.25 miles)

01.28.17: Michigan Adventure Race: Complete: 21 checkpoint and 6 challenges (02:57:00 / 5 miles)

04.08.17: Forget The PR 50K, Volunteers Run: Complete: 08:00:00

09.23.17: Mountain Lakes 100: Dropped out at mile 71.  

11.04.17: Fall Fat Ass 25K:

I have been taking it easy since Mountain Lakes.  Only doing 4 or 5 mile road runs about 2 or 3 times a week.  I had a CT scan last week and it came back negative which is a good thing.  Now I am scheduling an anal probe (better know as a colonoscopy) to check out the linings of my intestines and colon.  Pretty nervous about it but I have had digestive issues for 7 years, so I guess it's good to get it looked at.

Anyway, I have been sleeping in on weekends.  Usually after drinking and it has not been the best sleep.  Friday night my brother in law whose house we live in had some guys over and they were partying, I declined and did not drink.  I got a message from some Toledo ultra friends saying they were heading up this way to run on Saturday.  I got excited because I needed some motivation to get my ass out to the trails.  I was going to show them the trails I run on at Pontiac Lake, my most frequented training grounds.  We met up and it was a cool crisp fall Saturday morning, nothing better.  Temps were about mid 30s and a long sleeve T with a short sleeve T along with shorts was just enough clothes.  I would of been sweating if I had worn the fleece that I almost started in.  During cold weather you know it's too much if your comfortable before the run starts.

So off we went and I did 11 miles with them.  They really like the trails and we had a blast.  It was extremely rejuvenating to get out on the trails.  Doing it with friends is even better.  I had so much fun and it put me in a great mood.  I got showered up, had some coffee, hit up the local Mediterranean gas station restaurant (Voted Americas 13th best gas station restaurant!) for a few falafal wraps and then road tripped down to the small town I am from in Ohio to watch my Buckeyes take on Penn St. at the only bar in town.  The game did not disappoint!!  I think my life expectancy might of taken a hit. What a comeback!!  Very exciting.  Drank a few to many Strohs during the game and crashed at my parents house.  A pretty nice Saturday. 

The same friends that came up here to run are the ones who host the Fall Fat Ass 25K and 50K that I go to every year at Oak Openings Park which is about 15 minutes from my parents house.  That event is next weekend and I am pretty sure I am going to road trip down there to run the 25K.  Pretty excited to get back into trail running.  I really do love it.

Hope ya'll are doing well.  

Cheers!

Mohican 100 Race Report

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Farley said:

How was Utah???!!!!  I love the parks out there.  I wish I would of noticed this post before you left.  I think the Observation Point hike at Zion is one of the coolest I have ever done.  Can't wait to hear about your trip!

The trip was awesome.  I didn't get to run much but we did a ton of hiking.  Mrs. Dipstick took on more trails than I thought she would but nothing as tough as Observation Point.  We were focused on seeing as much of each park in 1 day each.  I would love to go back and spend a week in the Moab area or Zion/Bryce area.  https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipM-tznmjS3qh8S1tATP_8aS-oMvQvG0HnzjXk4IWmSfNS4YpG-bCFtSO3tPjPIrgg?key=S29vYWE3T3FrZmgwS0U0NE1TWEZsMlZTenhLUnNR

Above link is to ALL of the photos I took (900+),  I didn't label anything yet but they are in order Arches, Dead Horse State Park, Canyonlands, Goblin Valley State Park, Capital Reef, Bryce Canyon, and Zion.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2017 at 7:38 PM, dipstick22 said:

The trip was awesome.  I didn't get to run much but we did a ton of hiking.  Mrs. Dipstick took on more trails than I thought she would but nothing as tough as Observation Point.  We were focused on seeing as much of each park in 1 day each.  I would love to go back and spend a week in the Moab area or Zion/Bryce area.  https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipM-tznmjS3qh8S1tATP_8aS-oMvQvG0HnzjXk4IWmSfNS4YpG-bCFtSO3tPjPIrgg?key=S29vYWE3T3FrZmgwS0U0NE1TWEZsMlZTenhLUnNR

Above link is to ALL of the photos I took (900+),  I didn't label anything yet but they are in order Arches, Dead Horse State Park, Canyonlands, Goblin Valley State Park, Capital Reef, Bryce Canyon, and Zion.

Well done!  You guys really knocked out a lot while you were out there.  I can't wait to check out those pics.

12 hours ago, Farley said:

Well done!  You guys really knocked out a lot while you were out there.  I can't wait to check out those pics.

Here's the abridged version - only 40 pics vs. 900+ https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipP_nnqGHU0CQDunWT1erfcpxK9Tcul6hsNlUnUM0s2SvvVo1wbxdVheWqmvbKPhEg?key=Y2VmWkItTUxubU8zZFk5VXlPeWs0SWJoWkNVaDVn

October 15, 2016

Today's MAD: 22 total

Swimming MAD total: 5, just a 1/2 mile swim.  Trying to build back up to a mile.

Total Running MAD: 5107.3 miles since 1/2/2010

Weight: 206 - Hovering

Good runs but didn't do any running on vacation.   Think I am going to do the Half-Marathon next week.  I'm not in race shape for a half but I can get out there and run 13 miles.

March 4 - Anthem 4.7K - 25:53

March 18 - Rodes 10K - 57:52

April 1 - Papa John's 10 Miler - 1:44:05

October 21 - EKU Homecoming 5K

November 12 - ???? Louisville Half-Marathon - if I feel up to it.

• Like 1

Current weight : 215

Miles since last post MAD : 2.0 + 1.5

Rebooted MAD: 22.2

Total MAD: 1822.5since 12/12/13

So I have figured out one of my major problems. I look in the rearview mirror too much with my running. What I mean is, since I have fallen off my running, my brain is convinced that I can just get right back on and be where I was in no time. That just ain't the case(my logical brain knows this, but I am emotionally driven, so there's that...). Any who, one of the ways I am combating this is ditching my watch for the time being. I am committed to totally running based on feel. That's it. 

So for the next couple of weeks, it's gonna be short runs in the hood until I get in a groove, then I'll go from there. I have signed up for a race in January, so I have a target to shoot for. 

I really appreciate you guys and this spot on the site. I like having a place that's kinda private that I can come and brag on all of our accomplishments. It also helps me to be a bit more accountable to myself.

Races this year:

Run through History 10K - 1:00:21

• Like 1

On 10/31/2017 at 8:46 AM, dipstick22 said:

Wow!  Great pics.  So awesome out there!!

MILES AGAINST DIP

Oct. 30 - Nov. 07, 2017: 29.00 MAD

...........................9,905.00 MAD total

2017 race schedule:

01.28.17: Michigan Adventure Race: Complete: 21 checkpoint and 6 challenges (02:57:00 / 5 miles)

11.04.17: Fall Fat Ass 25K: Complete 16 miles. 03:14:00

The Fall Fat Ass run was a lot of fun on Saturday.  That was my longest run since ML100.  I was definitely feeling it when I finished!  Then I had to witness the unfortunate beat down my Buckeyes suffered in Iowa.  That was ugly and really disappointing, especially after the emotional win the week before.

Cheers!

On 11/7/2017 at 8:17 AM, Tiger Refuge said:

Current weight : 215

Miles since last post MAD : 2.0 + 1.5

Rebooted MAD: 22.2

Total MAD: 1822.5since 12/12/13

So I have figured out one of my major problems. I look in the rearview mirror too much with my running. What I mean is, since I have fallen off my running, my brain is convinced that I can just get right back on and be where I was in no time. That just ain't the case(my logical brain knows this, but I am emotionally driven, so there's that...). Any who, one of the ways I am combating this is ditching my watch for the time being. I am committed to totally running based on feel. That's it. 

So for the next couple of weeks, it's gonna be short runs in the hood until I get in a groove, then I'll go from there. I have signed up for a race in January, so I have a target to shoot for. 

I really appreciate you guys and this spot on the site. I like having a place that's kinda private that I can come and brag on all of our accomplishments. It also helps me to be a bit more accountable to myself.

Races this year:

Run through History 10K - 1:00:21

I would run on feel for a while but when you start getting longer distances in, I would run based on your heart rate.  Keep it in the range of 180 minus your age.   The should help build a great base.

• Like 2

November 10, 2016

Today's MAD: 20.5 total

Swimming MAD total: 5

Total Running MAD: 5127.8 miles since 1/2/2010

Weight: 206 - Hovering

First run in the 30's today.  Cold weather feels pretty good now.   I decided not to do the half-marathon this weekend.  I don't feel 100% and my eldest is home from school for the weekend so, I'll just stick around at home.   I did sign up for a 5K turkey run with my oldest daughter, I'm sure the pace will be good for me.

March 4 - Anthem 4.7K - 25:53

March 18 - Rodes 10K - 57:52

April 1 - Papa John's 10 Miler - 1:44:05

October 21 - EKU Homecoming 5K - 24:20 - but the distance was off, more like 4.6K, good pace though.

November 23 - Hungry Turkey 5k

MILES AGAINST DIP

Nov. 08 - Nov. 18, 2017: 26.00 MAD

...........................9,931.00 MAD total

2017 race schedule:

11.04.17: Fall Fat Ass 25K: Complete 16 miles. 03:14:00

I love the trails this time of year.  Instead of dodging mountain bikers I am dodging slugs because it's the first weekend of the deer gun season in Michigan.  Temps were nice and cool.  Trails were soft from the rains.

Cheers!