Quit Smokeless Community
imskratty

Cooking, etc.

Let's start talking about what we are cooking these days. If you're like me, you live to eat. After all, life is just killing time until the next meal...

Let's start talking about what we are cooking these days. If you're like me, you live to eat. After all, life is just killing time until the next meal...

Well this would be better if we had not started the weight loss competition! My problem is I never use a recipe!

Well this would be better if we had not started the weight loss competition! My problem is I never use a recipe!

I know the feeling. The closest thing I come to using a recipe is browsing through the recipies on food network's website. But I never print them. I just get ideas. I probably end up making a combination of 3 or 4 that sound good. But lets see. Made a nice pot roast the other day. Best recollection....

Preheat oven to 325

Heat a cast iron dutch oven on the stove top to med high/high.

Dust a chuck roast w/ flour and quickly brown on both sides. Remove. Lower heat to medium/medium low. (Give the pot time to cool)

Dice 3 carrots, 3 celery stalks, 1 onion and 2 - 4 cloves of garlic (Depending on taste). Using Olive Oil, sweat the vegetables you just diced. Don't brown them.

Once the veggies are done, stick the meat on top of them. Fill the dutch oven with beef stock (not broth if you can help it) to cover the meat. (remember some will evaporate so either over fill or be prepared with extra)

Place the leaves of 2 sprigs of Rosemary and 2 sprigs of Tyme and 2 bay leaves in the pot. Stick in oven.

As meat starts to get tender, add potatoes and carrots if desired.

Remove from oven when meat and vegetables are tender.

Let meat stand. Strain the liquid (Unless you like herb leaves). Thicken if desired.

You still eating boogers to carry you over till the next meal?

Lets talk about that.

You like the green gummies or the yellow crispies?

Yeah, right....you put on 3 pounds last week, Kojak! B)

But on a serious note, I wouldn't mind seeing some recipes for healthy meals (specifically, less fat and lower calorie). I can't cook, but I can follow directions, as long as there's not a lot of ingredients I need to go out and buy.

I know the feeling. The closest thing I come to using a recipe is browsing through the recipies on food network's website. But I never print them. I just get ideas. I probably end up making a combination of 3 or 4 that sound good. But lets see. Made a nice pot roast the other day. Best recollection....

Preheat oven to 325

Heat a cast iron dutch oven on the stove top to med high/high.

Dust a chuck roast w/ flour and quickly brown on both sides. Remove. Lower heat to medium/medium low. (Give the pot time to cool)

Dice 3 carrots, 3 celery stalks, 1 onion and 2 - 4 cloves of garlic (Depending on taste). Using Olive Oil, sweat the vegetables you just diced. Don't brown them.

Once the veggies are done, stick the meat on top of them. Fill the dutch oven with beef stock (not broth if you can help it) to cover the meat. (remember some will evaporate so either over fill or be prepared with extra)

Place the leaves of 2 sprigs of Rosemary and 2 sprigs of Tyme and 2 bay leaves in the pot. Stick in oven.

As meat starts to get tender, add potatoes and carrots if desired.

Remove from oven when meat and vegetables are tender.

Let meat stand. Strain the liquid (Unless you like herb leaves). Thicken if desired.

You're spot on Bill. You'd make a fine wife for any man. Just teasing.

There are few things more comforting than a well-prepared pot roast in these cold months.

But on a serious note, I wouldn't mind seeing some recipes for healthy meals (specifically, less fat and lower calorie). I can't cook, but I can follow directions, as long as there's not a lot of ingredients I need to go out and buy.

Can you get, and are you willing to eat tofu?

You still eating boogers to carry you over till the next meal?

Lets talk about that.

You like the green gummies or the yellow crispies?

I like the sinus infection ones - green stickies with blood clots and capillaries.

I guess I could probably get it. Never tried it. I read up on it, though. I suppose I could try it, if there's any good recipes for it (that are simple enough for me to follow).

I guess I could probably get it. Never tried it. I read up on it, though. I suppose I could try it, if there's any good recipes for it (that are simple enough for me to follow).

Killer,

I meant that I can cook up a storm, the problem is that I never follow a set recipe and just season to taste. There are many healthy eating cookbooks out there, most of the time you can take what you normally eat and just use ingrediants that are less fat and lower calorie.

Supposed to be MIGHTY cold here this weekend. Thinking of making some sort of stew or maybe bean soup with a ham bone I have in the freezer.

Hmmm....what to do....

Wifes at work this evening, kids in town at basketball game. hmmm I think I'll make reservations at my favorite place and order their Crem'doux la frescay. Which of course is code for a pizza at the bar

Wifes at work this evening, kids in town at basketball game. hmmm I think I'll make reservations at my favorite place and order their Crem'doux la frescay. Which of course is code for a pizza at the bar

B)

I'm in a position of having to make fried catfish tonight. I've never really cooked much fish. Any advice?

I wish I had a cast iron skillet. I'd just blacken it and be done with it.

I'm in a position of having to make fried catfish tonight. I've never really cooked much fish. Any advice?

You can go a few different ways when frying fish.

Dust the filets with seasoned flour and pan-fry in shallow oil...or

Dip filets in beaten eggs and roll in a breading and deep fry...or

Make a beer-batter to dip the filets in before frying.

All depends on how thick of a coating you want on the fish. Key is making sure the oil is hot enough - 360-375

I got an outdoor propane deep fryer for Christmas. Can't wait to use that fucker.

All depends on how thick of a coating you want on the fish. Key is making sure the oil is hot enough - 360-375

I got an outdoor propane deep fryer for Christmas. Can't wait to use that fucker.

I LOVE to fry fish, I prefer to use just a yellow cornmeal and seasoned salt batter, I use about 1/4 cup of salt to 2 cups of cornmeal. I too have a fish fryer and like it best. Batter the fish by dipping them into water and then rolling them around in the cornmeal. Fry them up, but if you want to add a littel spice when finished, sprinkle some Tony Chaucers cajun on them when finished.

I LOVE to fry fish, I prefer to use just a yellow cornmeal and seasoned salt batter, I use about 1/4 cup of salt to 2 cups of cornmeal. I too have a fish fryer and like it best. Batter the fish by dipping them into water and then rolling them around in the cornmeal. Fry them up, but if you want to add a littel spice when finished, sprinkle some Tony Chaucers cajun on them when finished.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the cornmeal breading which is prevalent down south - my Dad does it that way, too.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the cornmeal breading which is prevalent down south - my Dad does it that way, too.

I ended up breading them with breadcrumbs. Good stuff. Might try the cornmeal next time.

Those propane deep fryers rock. I have deep fried turkeys almost every big holiday we have, boiled lobster & boiled up some corn. Those things rock!

Those propane deep fryers rock. I have deep fried turkeys almost every big holiday we have, boiled lobster & boiled up some corn. Those things rock!

You can do new potatoes, corn on the cob, and your shrimp boil, then when the corn and potatoes are done, throw in the shrimp, we get big plastic table clothes, pour it out on a table and dig in, when finished, just wrap it all up with the table cloths, no dishes!

I used to have a recipe for Pumpkin/Pecan pie and through all of my moves I have lost it. Does anybody have one for that?

I used to have a recipe for Pumpkin/Pecan pie and through all of my moves I have lost it. Does anybody have one for that?

The pumpkin cans usually have a recipe on the sides that are pretty good. Its always the crust that is harder to pull off!

The pumpkin cans usually have a recipe on the sides that are pretty good. Its always the crust that is harder to pull off!

I buy the premade crust, too much of a pain the ass to make. I will have to take a look, putting the pecans in the pumpkin combines my two favorite types. Thanks.

I'm looking for a suggestion. My wife and I are having a couple over for dinner saturday and I need to revamp the menu. I was originally going to go with lamb chops w/ a garlic, red wine, & honey glaze, wild rice, roasted asparagus & greens. I've been told lamb is out becuase the one of the invitees can't eat such a cute animal. My intent was to go w/ a spring-Greek/land of milk & honey theme since Pascha is Sunday (we're not Greek Orthodox, but I thought the theme fit the time).

Now I'm looking at pork chops w/ lemon thyme sauce (seems a little un-kosher, but oh well). I thought about pairing it with a ravioli but I'm stumped as to what to stuff it with. I'm going to stick w/ the roasted asparagus & greens.

Any ideas for the ravioli?

I'm looking for a suggestion. My wife and I are having a couple over for dinner saturday and I need to revamp the menu. I was originally going to go with lamb chops w/ a garlic, red wine, & honey glaze, wild rice, roasted asparagus & greens. I've been told lamb is out becuase the one of the invitees can't eat such a cute animal. My intent was to go w/ a spring-Greek/land of milk & honey theme since Pascha is Sunday (we're not Greek Orthodox, but I thought the theme fit the time).

Now I'm looking at pork chops w/ lemon thyme sauce (seems a little un-kosher, but oh well). I thought about pairing it with a ravioli but I'm stumped as to what to stuff it with. I'm going to stick w/ the roasted asparagus & greens.

Any ideas for the ravioli?

Think of spring time ingredients - the first local fresh goat cheeses of the season are hitting the markets, ramps (wild leeks), morels, spinach. I bet a chevre, ramps, and spinach filling would go well with that lemon thyme sauce.