Quit Smokeless Community
Sign in to follow this  
penguin

Upcoming Races/Events

Hey,

I figured with all the discussion in the runner's thread about 5K's and 10K's and recent marathon and 1/2 marathon accomplishments, why not share those events (duathalons, cycling races, triathalons, and yes, even bicycling across #####S) here so any locals can either participate or atleast show up to support fellow brothers and sisters celebrating their successes!

In 2005, this was first organized as the First Annual QS BBQ. Matt Van Wyk was scheduled to run the marathon with me, but had to back out at the last minute. Johnny Jet ran the 10 mile race and there were several local and distant quit brothers who showed up for the BBQ and then supported me throughout the marathon (what a great pick me up later in the race to hear those cheers!).

I know some runners are getting ready for some upcoming 5K's and 10K's. There was some talk about some members running the Disney marathon in Jan 09. I may try a local 1/2 marathon in the fall (of course knowing me, I will probably just go and do a regular marathon....I will have to see how my training goes over the next month or 2). If all goes well, I am thinking about the Virginia Beach marathon in March 09 (Hey, it's sponsored by Yuengling...how can I say no!) and if that goes well, possibly a half Ironman on Maryland's Eastern shore in May 09.

If you feel like it, just post the event, location and date and check in once a week like a message board. For example.

Penguin - Independence 5K/ 7-4-08 / Washington, D.C. (maybe even attatch the website if there is one)....and this entry is just a ficticious example...it doesn't exist to my knowledge.

However, those in the DC area may then make the effort to go to the event to meet those participating and any other members who may be going to support. Just a fun way to support each other in both the fitness world and celebrating our dip free accomplishments!

As my lingering injuries improve (and they have been improving), I will be looking into some races and I will be posting them here.

-Penguin

Great idea penguin. Who said Penguins are on the "slow" side. I'm in for posting events entered and who knows, maybe it will inspire some fellow members to sign up as well if they are not too far away.

QSSN 2008 RACE CALENDER

Skin- Rumford RI 5K/6-22-08

- Fredericksburg VA Heritage Festival 5 Miler/7-4-08 (http://www.racetimingunlimited.org)

mahum - The Human Race 10K 08/31/2008 (nikeplus event) www.nikeplus.com

- Houston Half Marathon 10/26/2008 www.houstonhalf.com

QSSN 2008 RACE CALENDER

Skin- Rumford RI 5K/6-22-08

- Fredericksburg VA Heritage Festival 5 Miler/7-4-08 (http://www.racetimingunlimited.org)

Killer - The Fifth Annual Marshall University Marathon/Half-Marathon 11/2/2008 - Huntington, WV (here is a flyer) You'll run by some of the sites included in the film "We Are Marshall" - though not guaranteed, I'm thinking of trying the half-marathon. Send me a PM if you think you might want to take part in this run.

Killer,

That will be right around the time I am considering a halfie or full marathon....getting pumped and thinking about just throwing it in for a full if I am considering a half ironman in the spring. I need to get a full marathon under my belt to make sure it is a possibility to do the 1/2 iron. That would be a good time as well, and Marshall is only going to be a 5 hour trip I think, so something that is "close" enough...and it could be my 3rd marathon in 3 states! (ya, I have my sites on 50 marathons in 50 states). I will keep you posted and have a better idea of it towards the end of the summer.

Killer,

That will be right around the time I am considering a halfie or full marathon....getting pumped and thinking about just throwing it in for a full if I am considering a half ironman in the spring. I need to get a full marathon under my belt to make sure it is a possibility to do the 1/2 iron. That would be a good time as well, and Marshall is only going to be a 5 hour trip I think, so something that is "close" enough...and it could be my 3rd marathon in 3 states! (ya, I have my sites on 50 marathons in 50 states). I will keep you posted and have a better idea of it towards the end of the summer.

If you or anyone else here are serious about trying to do the Marshall marathon, try to let me know well in advance so I can decide whether I'm going to do it. I ran 9 miles last night, so I think I can certainly do the halfie. The question will be whether I want to really challenge myself with the 26.2 miles. But I'm sure certainly need time to work my way up to that.

Killer,

If you or anyone else here are serious about trying to do the Marshall marathon, try to let me know well in advance so I can decide whether I'm going to do it. I ran 9 miles last night, so I think I can certainly do the halfie. The question will be whether I want to really challenge myself with the 26.2 miles. But I'm sure certainly need time to work my way up to that.

I bet you run slower than I walk too. I encourage you to do that marathon. Keep running, don't stop and don't look back. The world doesn't need anymore lawyers.

Unless I have a miracle chiropractor apt. I am thinking I may have to decline the Marshall Marathon, along with having some pretty intense grad classes going on around that time as well.

I might be shooting for the VA Beach Marathon in March. The 1/2 Iron Man I am looking into is in June, so the timing should be good.

There are no marathons where I am, that I know of... Is it true that its important to finish a marathon if you start one?

There are no marathons where I am, that I know of... Is it true that its important to finish a marathon if you start one?

It's important to finish ANYTHING you start, in my opinion. You can google 2008 marathons and usually there will be several sites that will have a list of national and even international marathons for the year, the dates and the homepage for those marathons. I can't think of the name of the running site that I usually click on...Runners world maybe? Most major cities in the US have marathons. Some marathons have a lottery system and even though you enter the lottery, there is no guarrentee that you will be selected. Chicago, Marine Corp Marathon in D.C. and the New York City marathon usually have lotteries or will have a select number of openings for a first come basis. And of course there is the Boston Marathon which you must qualify for by time (2:45 I believe at select marathons throughout the country/world).

I personally find the challege of completing a marathon very much like the journey of quitting dip. You have the physical demands (withdrawl in the quit, cramping legs and muscle exhaustion in the marathon) as well as the mental aspect of the marathon (the mental aspect of the quit, battling with our mind trying to convince us that it's ok to have one, with the mental aspect of wanting to give up because you are tired and there are still many miles to go in the marathon).

You can set goals for the marathon..most first goals are to complete the marathon, then usually a specific time or to finish under a certain time. When I get healthy enough to make a run for another marathon, my goal will be a sub 4 hour marathon...my 2 previous marathons have been 4:28 amd 4:26...I didn't achieve a sub 4, but I did complete the marathon and I did improve on my time.

-Penguin

Here we go! Third time is the charm hopefully. First triathlon I was signed up for this year was cancelled due to flooding and lightning. Second triathlon I wanted to do would not allow me to sign up the day before the event. So, I am registered and all ready to go for the 28th annual Big Creek Tri(visit bigcreektri.com for info) on Sunday July 27th. It is actually the Olympic distance tri (swim 1 mile, bike 25 miles, and run 6 miles) The first two triathlons I was shooting for were the shorter versions which would have been nice to get me ready for this one. Oh well, I am ready and I am psyched! Can't wait to get out there and kick some ass! I have already done all the distances in pretty good time so I am confident but have had a foot problem lately so haven't done much running trying to let it heal before this Sunday. I love the quote from Penguin's posts from one of the Ironman triathletes. "There's no way, they would have to drag me off the course!" That is the way I feel about my injury and this upcoming triathlon. My injury is not that big of a deal by the way but I just know that with the amount of training I have put in for this triathlon I will be finishing it come hell or high water! By the way I am pretty damn sure I would not be even considering doing this without the help of you guys and this site. Putting the dipping habit in my rearview mirror has given me energy to set and accomplish goals like this. Thanks!

QSSN 2008 RACE CALENDER

Skin- Arlington 9-11 race (www.arlington911race.com)

Killer - The Fifth Annual Marshall University Marathon/Half-Marathon 11/2/2008 - Huntington, WV (here is a flyer) You'll run by some of the sites included in the film "We Are Marshall" - though not guaranteed, I'm thinking of trying the half-marathon. Send me a PM if you think you might want to take part in this run.

QSSN 2008 RACE CALENDER

Skin- Arlington 9-11 race (www.arlington911race.com)

mahum

The Human Race 10K 08/31/2008 (nikeplus event) www.nikeplus.com - Completed Sunday

Rodeo 10K - February 2009

QSSN 2008 RACE CALENDER

Skin- Arlington 9-11 race (www.arlington911race.com)- Completed Saturday- 24:49- 5K

mahum

The Human Race 10K 08/31/2008 (nikeplus event) www.nikeplus.com - Completed Sunday

Rodeo 10K - February 2009

I'm registered for the half mary on Nov 2. Not sure if I've trained enough for it, but I'm going to try it. I just wish it was going to be a little warmer. I've not heard from anyone else here that they're going to be there. If anyone is, be sure to PM me.

May 3 White Lake Sprint Triathlon at White Lake in North Carolina. Supposed to be beautiful so come on to NC for some fun. Only my third tri.

Cornell Invitational-Mount Vernon, IA April 11 2009

My first outdoor track meet of the year I'll be running the 3K or 5K estimated time for each would be 9:10 for the three and 16:00 for the fiver.

Hey guys. Have gone overboard since my divorce and have really kicked my running into high gear.

Sept 19- 2009 Northface Endurance Challenge---50K (31.5) Result: 7 hours and 43 seconds. (met Dean Karnazes and got pics and autographs so worth it)

Jan 10-11- 2010 Walt Disney World Goofy Challenge (Half Marathon on Saturday/Full Marathon on Sunday)

Extreme is my new thing

My comeback marathon is the Outer Banks marathon in Kitty Hawk/ Nagshead NC. 3 years ago 3 teenagers in a camero slammed into me in a car and ruinned 2 years of my running career. Therapists told me I'd be walking with a cane for the rest of my life and running was just going to be a pipe dream. Here I am today, racking up the miles like crazy! My true goal is to just finish the marathon, but it is a flat and fast course, so I would love to make a PR or even break the 4 hour mark! I ran 10.5 miles in 8 minute splits and felt great! Anyways, November 8th, OBX marathon. Anyone interested in meeting up before or after the race, shoot me a PM.

-Pengy

2010 is winding down....

(just completed Marshall Univ. marathon Nov 7, 2010)

QS Race Calendar for 2011

Little Rock Marathon - March 6, 2011 - Penguin registering soon.

Louisville Iron Man - August 28, 2011 - Penguin already registered.