Quit Smokeless Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ohioman1972

Weight Training

I started lifting weights at the gym a little over a year ago. The first 3 months I was gaining strength like nobody's business. Since then, I tapered off and am barely moving up in weight. I am still pretty weak in my upper body. I have tried alternating my workouts, changing the order, injesting more protiens, etc. No avail.

Any tips?

I started lifting weights at the gym a little over a year ago. The first 3 months I was gaining strength like nobody's business. Since then, I tapered off and am barely moving up in weight. I am still pretty weak in my upper body. I have tried alternating my workouts, changing the order, injesting more protiens, etc. No avail.

Any tips?

Rest, cadio for a week or two, if you don't see a bump over the plateau, dramatically alter workout routine.

IE: If every chest day you start with bench, don't do bench for a month, instead do incline or something dumbbell as a replacement.

Change time of workout.

Mix the days up.

IE: if you always do chest and arms, start lifting chest and legs, shoulders and arms.

Try kettle ball routines for a few weeks.

Any tips?

Yeah man, you gotta try switching things up for a little... I workout chest on monday, and i usually do Bench, Incline bench, and flyes for my chest. To get the most out of my bench, i do flat Bench one week and do incline dumbell press, but then for the next week, ill do flat dumbell press and inclined bench press. It doesnt seem like ti would do a lot, but it does. Also, try training 2-3 muscle groups per day on a 4-5 day split. This will allow more focus on a single muscle group (2-3 muscle groups a day per body part).

This is my weekly split:

DAY 1: Chest, Triceps, Calves

Day 2: All Legs, and Abs(Squat, Deadlifts, Leg Presses, Leg extensions, and curls)

Day 3: Shoulders and Calves

Day 4: Biceps, Back, Abs

Some days i switch things up, sometimes i change the order, but it's working out well for me.

Another tip, is to change your weight/rep. I start my sets at the highest weight i can do. Then you drop the weight to reach a certain amount of weight. (example, first set of bench is 10 reps at 150lbs, set two is 12 reps, so you may need to drop the weight a bit).

Also, low weight and more reps will yeild smaller, but more durable and muscles that have more endourance, so if that's what you are looking for, do lower weight for more reps.

If you use higher weight, for less reps, you will get bigger and fuller muscles that are strong in the short run.

You can alternate a "heavy" week and a "light" week to see what happens.

GOLDEN RULE!:

Make sure, however, if you are working with low or high weight, WORK UNTILL FAILURE! every set. every set is to failure. Working till failure is essential because it makes sure that your muscles go to their limit. You wouldn't curl 5 lb dumbells for 3 reps because you wouldnt feel it and it would do nothing for you. You want to push your muscles to the limit, so work untill failure. if you do this, you will put on some sort of size and strength for sure.

Question for you weight lifters--I haven't done it seriously since high school football.

How much would you say would represent an impressive amount for a guy whose about six foot, two hundred twenty to bench-press as his max? A range is fine if you guys could provide one. I'm talking about flat bench-press. I hear stories about professional athletes bench-pressing 500 lbs and up, but I'm talking about an average guy who works out regularly. What amount for a guy this size would make you guys say--"hey, now that's something,"?

Any tips?

Yeah man, you gotta try switching things up for a little... I workout chest on monday, and i usually do Bench, Incline bench, and flyes for my chest. To get the most out of my bench, i do flat Bench one week and do incline dumbell press, but then for the next week, ill do flat dumbell press and inclined bench press. It doesnt seem like ti would do a lot, but it does. Also, try training 2-3 muscle groups per day on a 4-5 day split. This will allow more focus on a single muscle group (2-3 muscle groups a day per body part).

This is my weekly split:

DAY 1: Chest, Triceps, Calves

Day 2: All Legs, and Abs(Squat, Deadlifts, Leg Presses, Leg extensions, and curls)

Day 3: Shoulders and Calves

Day 4: Biceps, Back, Abs

Some days i switch things up, sometimes i change the order, but it's working out well for me.

Another tip, is to change your weight/rep. I start my sets at the highest weight i can do. Then you drop the weight to reach a certain amount of weight. (example, first set of bench is 10 reps at 150lbs, set two is 12 reps, so you may need to drop the weight a bit).

Also, low weight and more reps will yeild smaller, but more durable and muscles that have more endourance, so if that's what you are looking for, do lower weight for more reps.

If you use higher weight, for less reps, you will get bigger and fuller muscles that are strong in the short run.

You can alternate a "heavy" week and a "light" week to see what happens.

GOLDEN RULE!:

Make sure, however, if you are working with low or high weight, WORK UNTILL FAILURE! every set. every set is to failure. Working till failure is essential because it makes sure that your muscles go to their limit. You wouldn't curl 5 lb dumbells for 3 reps because you wouldnt feel it and it would do nothing for you. You want to push your muscles to the limit, so work untill failure. if you do this, you will put on some sort of size and strength for sure.

When that doesn't work, try some exercise physiology studies....if you are looking for strength then train strength, low reps at high weight....if you are trying to look pretty (hypertrophy...ie swelling of the muscles...ie NOT strength) then sit on your butt or lie on your back and do the same methodical movement for 3 sets at 10-15 reps....and speaking of "pushing yourself to failure"...try this CROSSFIT.COM....feeling the "burn" in your right arm....is not failure.....THIS IS FAILURE....watch the chick in the white at the end, that is failure

try that for 30 days and tell me if you don't see a change....train your body, not your muscles, get off the bench and the lat pull and do work....your body will change

no offense Phil (I hope)....just as a trainer I am tired of hearing the same crap that ain't physiologically correct....we take it as correct because that's the way it has always been done....it's bad info that needs to be changed

Edited by CoachDip

When that doesn't work, try some exercise physiology studies....if you are looking for strength then train strength, low reps at high weight....if you are trying to look pretty (hypertrophy...ie swelling of the muscles...ie NOT strength) then sit on your butt or lie on your back and do the same methodical movement for 3 sets at 10-15 reps....and speaking of "pushing yourself to failure"...try this CROSSFIT.COM....feeling the "burn" in your right arm....is not failure.....THIS IS FAILURE....watch the chick in the white at the end, that is failure

try that for 30 days and tell me if you don't see a change....train your body, not your muscles, get off the bench and the lat pull and do work....your body will change

no offense Phil (I hope)....just as a trainer I am tired of hearing the same crap that ain't physiologically correct....we take it as correct because that's the way it has always been done....it's bad info that needs to be changed

Sure I'd like to look pretty, but I like noodles and taters too much

well...the ending of that video was much better than what i thought it would be. just an exhausted woman reduced to tears. better than the B) that i thought was going to happen. as a former cyclist, i have had the look that she had many times. the mind is willing, but the body won't cooperate.

so...how does one get started on doing crossfit coach? just dive in head first or is there a crossfit for beginners? not that i'm a wimp, but i have not ridden my bike in over three years and i have not played hockey in seven months. so...the extreme athlete is hidden deep within me.

well...the ending of that video was much better than what i thought it would be. just an exhausted woman reduced to tears. better than the B) that i thought was going to happen. as a former cyclist, i have had the look that she had many times. the mind is willing, but the body won't cooperate.

so...how does one get started on doing crossfit coach? just dive in head first or is there a crossfit for beginners? not that i'm a wimp, but i have not ridden my bike in over three years and i have not played hockey in seven months. so...the extreme athlete is hidden deep within me.

Coach turned me on to Crossfit. You must jump in head first, but you need to educate yourself on how to do the lifts and exercises properly. I've seen what people call a burpee or a squat and realized why their times were so fast and weightloads were so high. I'd suggest two things:

1. spend a tremendous amount of time reviewing proper techniques. There are loads of free videos at www.crossfit.com . then practice with little weight. heck, at the trainer certifications, they use pvc pipe to practice.

2. do the workouts (wod= workout of the day) for a month. if the damn thing calls for 100 pullups or 150 burpees, do them all. jump on the pullups if necessary. keep going until you are done (often, after gasping for air, i just count down again 3...2...1).

If after a month you don't care for it, go back to something else. However, if you truly commit yourself, I'd be willing to bet you will feel 10 years younger and finally carve some weight off the waist line.

Coach turned me on to Crossfit. You must jump in head first, but you need to educate yourself on how to do the lifts and exercises properly. I've seen what people call a burpee or a squat and realized why their times were so fast and weightloads were so high. I'd suggest two things:

1. spend a tremendous amount of time reviewing proper techniques. There are loads of free videos at www.crossfit.com . then practice with little weight. heck, at the trainer certifications, they use pvc pipe to practice.

2. do the workouts (wod= workout of the day) for a month. if the damn thing calls for 100 pullups or 150 burpees, do them all. jump on the pullups if necessary. keep going until you are done (often, after gasping for air, i just count down again 3...2...1).

If after a month you don't care for it, go back to something else. However, if you truly commit yourself, I'd be willing to bet you will feel 10 years younger and finally carve some weight off the waist line.

to be clear....I am not advocating that crossfit is the only way....it is just a very effective way....the NASM also provides a very well put together plan that will work the whole body as a unit (which is what will improve over all health and athleticism), you just have to find a trainer that teaches it (not free like xfit)

but pd is right on....jump right in....buy starting strength by mark rippetoe....scale the workouts to fit you (injuries suck and crossfit does some "dangerous" stuff)....join another FORUM like this called brand x workouts....you post just like here at qs.org and commune with other athletes that are learning the ropes or been at it for 5 years

1) READ THIS

1a) get a physical

2) read starting strength

2a) watch the free vids HERE

2b) if the doc says you're a go....start kicking your own a$$

Edited by CoachDip

to be clear....I am not advocating that crossfit is the only way....it is just a very effective way....the NASM also provides a very well put together plan that will work the whole body as a unit (which is what will improve over all health and athleticism), you just have to find a trainer that teaches it (not free like xfit)

but pd is right on....jump right in....buy starting strength by mark rippetoe....scale the workouts to fit you (injuries suck and crossfit does some "dangerous" stuff)....join another FORUM like this called brand x workouts....you post just like here at qs.org and commune with other athletes that are learning the ropes or been at it for 5 years

1) READ THIS

1a) get a physical

2) read starting strength

2a) watch the free vids HERE

2b) if the doc says you're a go....start kicking your own a$$

thanks for the insight pd and coach!!! i will start doing some research. as for 1a) i get a physical every year whether i need one or not. my doc says i am one of his most boring patients. and he likes boring patients. he gave me the go ahead nine years ago when i started working out on a regular basis.

a little background information...i'm 41 years old, 5'6" and weigh 142. so, not a lot of fat on me to begin with. i also know what my body can and cannot do so, i'm sure i will be tailoring some of the wod's to suit me.

oh...and on the lighter side. last night i'm doing my standing barbell calf rasies when my wife and two year old son pull in the driveway. my son starts saying weights, weights, weights. my wife lets him out of his car seat and he gets on the floor of our element and starts doing squats. too cute. he did another set with me when he got in the garage. he was holding a 1 pound weight when he did so.

oh...and on the lighter side. last night i'm doing my standing barbell calf rasies when my wife and two year old son pull in the driveway. my son starts saying weights, weights, weights. my wife lets him out of his car seat and he gets on the floor of our element and starts doing squats. too cute. he did another set with me when he got in the garage. he was holding a 1 pound weight when he did so.

That's sweet...my wife is 8 months prego and is still crossfitting (crossfitmom) so my 2 year old boy sees me and wifey every morning hitting a wod...

last week we were outside playing and he just started running in circles then he dropped to the ground and started doing this head bobbing thing (his version of push ups)....he got up and ran in some more circle then stopped and did about 10 quarter squats....then he looked at me (which I thought he had gone cookoo) and said "all done".... I lost it....now when he sees us working out he does that little routine each time....they are amazing

PS....my son hit a new P.R. today....he deadlifted an 8lbs MB....he was stuck at 4lbs forever

That's sweet...my wife is 8 months prego and is still crossfitting (crossfitmom) so my 2 year old boy sees me and wifey every morning hitting a wod...

last week we were outside playing and he just started running in circles then he dropped to the ground and started doing this head bobbing thing (his version of push ups)....he got up and ran in some more circle then stopped and did about 10 quarter squats....then he looked at me (which I thought he had gone cookoo) and said "all done".... I lost it....now when he sees us working out he does that little routine each time....they are amazing

PS....my son hit a new P.R. today....he deadlifted an 8lbs MB....he was stuck at 4lbs forever

LOL...my son runs in circles too!!! then sits on the floor and leans forward (sit ups) almost smashing his head on the ground. then kicks his legs back and forth (bicycles) and then does his pushups.

congrats on the new baby...and to the little one for his p.r. in the deadlift. it is unreal what they pickup from us. they are always watching...always.

LOL...my son runs in circles too!!! then sits on the floor and leans forward (sit ups) almost smashing his head on the ground. then kicks his legs back and forth (bicycles) and then does his pushups.

congrats on the new baby...and to the little one for his p.r. in the deadlift. it is unreal what they pickup from us. they are always watching...always.

Way to keep in shape Frosty. I'm 30. I haven't been 142 lbs since 7th grade. My lad turned 5 today. He is up to 12 unbroken pushups. I couldn't figure out how to teach him to do the damn things until I read the CF journal and se started to use a towel.

Great stuff.

Way to keep in shape Frosty. I'm 30. I haven't been 142 lbs since 7th grade. My lad turned 5 today. He is up to 12 unbroken pushups. I couldn't figure out how to teach him to do the damn things until I read the CF journal and se started to use a towel.

Great stuff.

yeah...but how tall are you?

my son doesn't have a chance...poor kid. my wife is 5'3" and 110 pounds and an extremely high matabolism. my matabolism is high, but has slowed down a little in the last year or so.

Great stuff.

my son doesn't have a chance...poor kid. my wife is 5'3" and 110 pounds and an extremely high matabolism. my matabolism is high, but has slowed down a little in the last year or so.

5'10" 200lbs. I need to be at 185. I'm working on it, I was down to 180, then I practically took 3 months off and ate & drank like a Roman. I don't have a metabolism. I really think that all of the crash dieting during wrestling killed it.

Great stuff.

5'10" 200lbs. I need to be at 185. I'm working on it, I was down to 180, then I practically took 3 months off and ate & drank like a Roman. I don't have a metabolism. I really think that all of the crash dieting during wrestling killed it.

nine years ago i weighed close to 180 (175 - 178). not a lot of that was muscle, in fact, the majoity was my bought and paid for belly. on my frame that was a lot of weight to carry. i decided (with the help of my wife) that i didn't want to sit on the couch and watch life pass by. so, i joined the "y", joined a softball league, started playing hockey again, bought a road (racing) bicycle, and started running 5k's. i bought a book called God's Diet and that was my guide for what to eat. that was march of 2000. by august of 2000 i weighed *gasp* 135 pounds, but my doc said i was healthy. so, i cut back on some of the cardio and started lifting more.

i remember eating lunch with friends one day in april or may of 2000 and i just had a chef's salad. one of them said *sarcastically* oh, you're on a diet? my response was...no i'm not on a diet. a diet is what you do in the short term. i have change my life style and this is the way i eat now. end of story.

Question for you weight lifters--I haven't done it seriously since high school football.

How much would you say would represent an impressive amount for a guy whose about six foot, two hundred twenty to bench-press as his max? A range is fine if you guys could provide one. I'm talking about flat bench-press. I hear stories about professional athletes bench-pressing 500 lbs and up, but I'm talking about an average guy who works out regularly. What amount for a guy this size would make you guys say--"hey, now that's something,"?

I workout at a pretty hardcore gym with a lot of boxers in Pawtucket, RI. The gym has a bit of an edge which I like. I am 6'1" 220 and am probably "below average" in this gym. My 1 rep max for bench is 285. But when I workout on the weekends at Planet Fitness (which is close to my house and caters more towards average joe) I am by far the biggest dude in the gym. Don't know if that helps, to be honest I rarely notice how much someone is lifting because you have no idea what they did before that or what they still have to do. I only really notice the monsters, those with awful form or the A-holes curling in the squat rack.

Funny stories about your kids doing CF. I have my 4 y/o hanging from a broomstick that I hold at night trying to get pullups. He tries for a little bit and then ends up just swinging which is cool. I created a bunch of index cards and wrote different excercises on it and we pull out 4 each night (out of the hopper) and do them together. Fun stuff.

I workout at a pretty hardcore gym with a lot of boxers in Pawtucket, RI. The gym has a bit of an edge which I like. I am 6'1" 220 and am probably "below average" in this gym. My 1 rep max for bench is 285. But when I workout on the weekends at Planet Fitness (which is close to my house and caters more towards average joe) I am by far the biggest dude in the gym. Don't know if that helps, to be honest I rarely notice how much someone is lifting because you have no idea what they did before that or what they still have to do. I only really notice the monsters, those with awful form or the A-holes curling in the squat rack.

That helps, man. Thanks. I appreciate you taking the time to answer. I might hang on to see if anyone else answers to get a median or average number.

That helps, man. Thanks. I appreciate you taking the time to answer. I might hang on to see if anyone else answers to get a median or average number.

If I told y'all how much I can bench I would be sent directions to the kiddy gym. Cope, whatever it is you are lifting is probably by far more than me.

If I told y'all how much I can bench I would be sent directions to the kiddy gym. Cope, whatever it is you are lifting is probably by far more than me.

I wouldn't be so sure about that, OhioMan. Hey, Jack Daniels, say hello to Vinnie Paz for me if he stops in.

I wouldn't be so sure about that, OhioMan. Hey, Jack Daniels, say hello to Vinnie Paz for me if he stops in.

When I was at my prime two years ago (6'1", 222lbs, 13%BF) my 1 rep max was 335. Then I injured my shoulder in a motorcycle accident and have never quite been the same. I rarely work with over 245 on the bar now (usually 225 for 10), and every once in a while will kick it up to 275 for 2-3 reps - but my shoulder barks at me after that. I bet I could still do 285 for 1. I weigh about 215 now at about 18% BF - too many beers!

I am about to purchase a weight bench. I use free weights...olympic style. Anybody got a bench they would recommend? It needs to be somewhat heavy duty. I think I would prefer a bench that is not attached so that I can slide it out and use the dumbells.

Any help would be appreciated.

I am about to purchase a weight bench. I use free weights...olympic style. Anybody got a bench they would recommend? It needs to be somewhat heavy duty. I think I would prefer a bench that is not attached so that I can slide it out and use the dumbells.

Any help would be appreciated.

sorry to be late in responding to this. i have the apex ax pwr7 olympic cage system. i like it.

http://www.homegymcentral.com/apex-olympic...m-ax_pwr_7.html

Edited by Frosty