Quit Smokeless Community

mahum    6

Slow Carb Diet

Rule #1: Avoid “white” starchy carbohydrates (or those that can be white). This means all bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, and grains. If you have to ask, don’t eat it.
Rule #2: Eat the same few meals over and over again, especially for breakfast and lunch. You already do this; you’re just picking new default meals.
Rule #3: Don’t drink calories. Exception: 1-2 glasses of dry red wine per night is allowed.
Rule #4: Don’t eat fruit. (Fructose –> glycerol phosphate –> more bodyfat, more or less.) Avocado and tomatoes are excepted.
Rule #5: Take one day off per week and go nuts. I choose and recommend Saturday.

Matt Dog    14

Slow Carb Diet

Rule #1: Avoid “white” starchy carbohydrates (or those that can be white). This means all bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, and grains. If you have to ask, don’t eat it.

Rule #2: Eat the same few meals over and over again, especially for breakfast and lunch. You already do this; you’re just picking new default meals.

Rule #3: Don’t drink calories. Exception: 1-2 glasses of dry red wine per night is allowed.

Rule #4: Don’t eat fruit. (Fructose –> glycerol phosphate –> more bodyfat, more or less.) Avocado and tomatoes are excepted.

Rule #5: Take one day off per week and go nuts. I choose and recommend Saturday.

That's not so very different from Furhman's plan. Main difference is the fruit thing. Furhman says 3 servings of fruit per day, for the fiber. Basically, if you aren't getting protein from meats, and are getting it from greens, you need fruit for the fiber and other nutrients that you aren't going to get just from veggies. Oh, and beans are big part of it. I have to figure out when to find time to get beans into the mix (if you buy them dry, they have to be soaked, the slow cooked. Who has time to slow cook beans??).

Skip this part down here, if you don't want to tread into TMI territory.

I'm starting to notice bowel movement changes. Almost like a cleanse. I was kinda wondering about that part.

I think I'm in this for the long haul. I hate losing weight by deprivation, and I know I won't control my cravings if I keep eating the crap I like. I need to do something radical, and I'm done pretending it doesn't matter. I'm not getting any younger, and if I don't do this, I won't necessarily get much older.

subcooling    32

Keep your quit on and don't turn down the potato salad.

Best advice I've heard this week.

Edited by subcooling

subcooling    32

I'm not even going to try and figure out the last time I was in here.

I can honestly say I don't need this place anymore. I've been quit for 12 years but it seems like I never started. I have memories but they are more like watching someone elses old home movies.. that guy wasn't me! I don't think about, I don't desire it, no longing for the good old days. Nothing. The only thing that keeps me here is you guys, to see what's going on, and, since i'm the chief cook and bottle washer, I'm sort of supposed to come around from time to time. Most of you we keep track via text messages on the phone or facebook.

So:

I'm a grandpa! He's 11 months old so it's not new news but it's not fake news. He's amazing and I love being a papaw!

My boss quit in March so I've been the interim Director of Global Data Center Operation/Infrastructure for our company for the past few months; a job I hate. We have multiple data centers across the globe and every time a frame, server, storage array farts, I get a nice wake-up call. The fvcking hardware is older that chit; most of it went end-of-life a few years ago. Our data center manager and his team do a great job at trying to keep everything up and running but seriously, this stuff is so old it break down almost weekly. Luckily our production ERP systems (yes, there are multiple) are running on newer-ish equipment so those are mostly stable. I'll be jet-setting around Europe next week doing a couple of data center assessments for my VP. Did I mention I hate this job? Most weekends are spent on bridge calls for maintenance or outages. My work days start at 5 am on calls with the EMEA teams/executives and normally ends around midnight, wrapping up calls with our Asia/Pacific teams/executives and evening maintenance calls. In case I haven't said it, I hate this job. When asked if I wanted it permanently, I politely declined. I don't care how much of a raise it would be, it ain't worth it.

I texted this photo to my old boss last night with a message saying "Thanks for bailing on me asshole!"; he replied "You're Welcome :P "

180bc070ad715a97fbec94bbf65b8949.jpg

Enough b1tching. I get to fly to Europe again this weekend.. so, yay?

Everyone doing ok? Guess I'll read through some posts or something while I wait for someone else to call me with a problem or complaint.

I was thinking of you yesterday, BNIABBW. Buzz-B-Q is this weekend and thought about calling to see if you wanted to ride with me. Then I saw that you are in London and knew that wasn't gonna be possible.

subcooling    32

Have any of you guys been around a Napolean gas grill?

Aren't we supposed to pretend that we don't notice the differences these days? You know, like we aren't supposed to notice that the check out "lady" at the grocery store has a huge adams apple and hairy legs.

Oh wait...never mind. You said GRILLS not girls. My bad.

subcooling    32

When I hot the Quote button nothing happens. What gives?

Dad, decent grill but like anything else these days not built like it used to be. The new Weber Genesis grills seem to be decent, 10 year warranty on the burners, ignition, stainless steel cook grates and flavorizer bars. Will be cooking on one in the next couple weeks for some grilling demos at work. Also check out Saber. Decent grill with quality stainless for decent price. Our customers have liked them.

My quote button works some days and not others. Today it is working fine.

Stick with charcoal. It is so worth the small effort you have to put in to light it.

subcooling    32

Thursday Roll Call

Subcooling - 4820

mahum    6

Slow Carb Diet

That's not so very different from Furhman's plan. Main difference is the fruit thing. Furhman says 3 servings of fruit per day, for the fiber. Basically, if you aren't getting protein from meats, and are getting it from greens, you need fruit for the fiber and other nutrients that you aren't going to get just from veggies. Oh, and beans are big part of it. I have to figure out when to find time to get beans into the mix (if you buy them dry, they have to be soaked, the slow cooked. Who has time to slow cook beans??).

I'm starting to notice bowel movement changes. Almost like a cleanse. I was kinda wondering about that part.

I think I'm in this for the long haul. I hate losing weight by deprivation, and I know I won't control my cravings if I keep eating the crap I like. I need to do something radical, and I'm done pretending it doesn't matter. I'm not getting any younger, and if I don't do this, I won't necessarily get much older.

Beans, beans, beans...

They keep everything moving. The one thing that made the slow carb thing work was the cheat day. When I would start to get bored or crave something I would start the Friday shopping list and go to the grocery store on the way home. Saturday was always a carb fest. Best moment was eating Cherry Garcia while making pancakes.

The one thing that I have found makes a big difference is probiotics. Find something refrigerated with live cultures. Between the probiotics, beans, and extra veggies, you can drop gems you might want to leave for the next visitor. :w00t:

mahum    6

Thursday Roll Call with Quote and Emojis

Subcooling - 4820

mahum 4383

Matt Dog    14

Have any of you guys been around a Napolean gas grill?

Aren't we supposed to pretend that we don't notice the differences these days? You know, like we aren't supposed to notice that the check out "lady" at the grocery store has a huge adams apple and hairy legs.

Oh wait...never mind. You said GRILLS not girls. My bad.

I must admit I was not following your logic here, thought it might be another example of me not understanding the fung shway. Glad I stuck with it to the end.

Matt Dog    14

Slow Carb Diet

Beans, beans, beans...

They keep everything moving. The one thing that made the slow carb thing work was the cheat day. When I would start to get bored or crave something I would start the Friday shopping list and go to the grocery store on the way home. Saturday was always a carb fest. Best moment was eating Cherry Garcia while making pancakes.

The one thing that I have found makes a big difference is probiotics. Find something refrigerated with live cultures. Between the probiotics, beans, and extra veggies, you can drop gems you might want to leave for the next visitor. :w00t:

Gems for the next visitor... I much prefer dropping my gems at home, in seclusion, so the next visitor is going to always be... me.

mahum    6

Finally Friday Roll Call

mahum 4384

mahum    6

Roll Call

Bubba - 4947

mahum 4387

How about them Astros!?

J5K    49

Roll Call

Bubba - 4947

mahum 4387

J5K quit

So, a little food intake update. Been doing the one meal per day (dinner) pretty steady. It's about 19-22 hours between meals. Did a 48 hour water and coffee only fast last week. Was easier than I thought.

Bufffromks    45

Mondays Suck Big Black Donkey Dicks Roll Call

Bubba - 4947

mahum 4387

J5K quit

Buff - Day 4,751

What is up, quit brothers? Man, been away too long. Celebrated 13 years free this past weekend, probably about the time Subby and Pitch were spooning in Pine Bluff...not that there is anything wrong with that.

Been traveling more than I really care to, but it is what I have to do. Was in Colorado ALL last week. 5 trips now and still have not had a man date with Tractor. Thought we were going to have a hook up in April, but I had a problem and had to bail . Was with a factory guy from Houston last week, so I did not even talk to him to see-just knew it was not an option.

Let's see, where do I begin? All I do is work. I wish I had exciting stories to tell. Mrs. Buff is fine and the kids are good so all is good in the real world, and Mrs. Buff and I had an excellent weekend a couple of weeks back (when all the flooding started) with another couple in Hermann, MO. I went to a distillery near Hermann and tasted and eventually purchased without a doubt the best gin I have ever put my lips on. Did not know Gin was available that did not taste like lighter fluid. God damn it is good. Brought back the gin and about a case of wine.

Still a fat bastard and still not exercising enough. Still wondering when the middle aged crisis shit is going to make me crazy. Still have the kegerator an still drink too much beer. I am not sorry for that. Jesus, Mother, and Joseph, I do indeed LOVE beer.

Got my empty nester thing cock blocked for the summer, as the Boy is home from college. Good deal, as we still have fun doing man movie quotes, and we still bond over baseball and man stuff. Love the wife, but sometimes miss the adolescent humor that another man or a son can provide.......which begs the question: When the hell are we gathering together?

I realize I have not been the best friend to you guys. I wish I could give awesome reasons why, but I am just another lazy selfish quitter. The only guy that I know has issues with me is Pitch, but he seems fine so that is good. I do miss talking to you fuckers. I do miss getting together, even if we are getting old and hardly anyone drinks anymore. That is cool. Hell, I have thought about giving up meat. I have not, but I think about it. I quickly read through all the posts I have missed, and I will say:

1) Fuck the tater salad reference. I was told to skip it.

2) Beans rock. Legumes are where it is at. That and grains like quinoa. All the protein, none of the bad side effects. That being said, of course I still eat meat. Got chicken breasts and hamburger ready for me and the Weber tonight when I leave the slave ship. From Steve's Meat Market in DeSoto, where I grew up.

3) Where is Penguin? I miss the Bird. I have not even seen him Tweet much lately. But maybe he is not in my feed.

4) Dad, how are you doing? I want to hook up with you as well, but I basically just move through Colorado like a chicken with it's head cut off. What a dichotomy-in Kansas and Misery I have 25+ years of experience and know my market and customers very well, whereas in Colorado I am struggling to rapidly learn the market and it's customers. I am getting older, so it is not as easy as I thought. That said, I am still liking it, but I get pretty f'd up after a full week on the road.

5)Glad the Royals are playing good baseball again. Was nice to sweep the Birds, and hopefully we can deal with the Skanks starting tomorrow. April was like a bad flashback to the old days. We may not be a playoff team, and that is ok, but I do not want to go to shitville again, and that is what April looked like. Fortunately the Boys seem to be back. ^_^

I have missed you guys. Glad to hear everyone is well. Someday I will report in that I am exercising. Today is not that day.

PapaBubba    17

Mondays Suck Big Black Donkey Dicks Roll Call

Bubba - 4949

mahum 4387

J5K quit

Buff - Day 4,751

PapaBubba    17

Buff, good to see you here, been too long. I see your liberal stuff on FB occasionally, but I'm trying to stay away from there a bit. I'm beginning to realize that social media is a big time waster, and that I really don't care if that old high school buddy that I haven't seen or talked to face to face in 25 years is going to some dance recital for his niece. So I'm trying to wean myself off it a bit and rely on my youngest to inform me when something from family is up that I should see. Can't say I'm there yet, but I hope to be. I'm also working too much, normal day job and then 25-35 hours as an Uber driver that I can do when I want. Very lucrative job in the Boston area working early AM hours or PM rush hour. Then fill in a few hours closer to home at a little less pay on my days off. Would like to get away this summer, have some time penciled off the beginning of August for something to be determined. Hopefully heading south in September/October with the middle boy for a weekend of college football. Clemson is the goal for that. Then trying to plan a trip to Costa Rica for sometime in the beginning of 2018. I need time away and alone, that can't come quick enough.

mahum    6

Roll Call

Bubba - 4950

mahum 4388

55Cameo    7

Snowing Today Roll Call

55 - 4910

Heavy snow and 33 degrees in Morrison this morning. Headed for Tucson this afternoon. It's good to be me today.

Bubba: Head my way, I need an Uber to the airport.......

mahum    6

Snowing Today Roll Call

55 - 4910

mahum 4390