Quit Smokeless Community

Matt Dog    14

We've Had A Bird Sighting Roll Call

Penguin - 4936

Bubba - 5049

Matt - 3976

May we all reach 17K with our quit days.  And beyond!

subcooling    32

We've Had A Bird Sighting Roll Call

Penguin - 4936

Bubba - 5049

Matt - 3976

Sub - 4924

55Cameo    7

Penguin - 4936

Bubba - 5049

Matt - 3976

Sub - 4924

55 - 5007

I only know this cuz Bubba posted. Pls help the geezer. Where the he'll is the quit tracker?

How's everybody dooin'!!

Bufffromks    45

Sure Happy It's Thursday Roll Call

-------------------------------------------------------

Buff - Day 4,853 I think, if the tracker is right.  Shit, I have no idea, I just know I am 198 days less than Bubba.

How is everyone?  I got to see totality on Monday just north of KC, and like Matt said, it was freaking awesome.  It got so dark.  I did not get to see the corona, because immediately upon totality, massive dark clouds rolled in, making it even darker than the eclipse, and then it proceeded to rain, and later that night, it stormed and rained massive amounts.  At my weather station at casa de Buff, we recorded 9.66 inches on Monday night.  I slept so poorly (due to flash flooding alarms and the thunder) that I struggled in Wichita on Tuesday.  Anyway, it was a crazy start to the week.  It was so cool, though, that if I am still allowed to be here in 2024, I will either be in AR or SE MO to watch the next one.  The coolest things for me, besides the darkening, was the birds, and the cicadas, and the cows in the field I was parked near.

Dad, good to see you.  I will be back in CO for a business trip in Theptember.  Any way you think you, me, and Tractor could meet for supper?  Think about it.  I almost surprised Tractor last week (I spent 3 days in Denver, hoteling in Lakewood) but I ran out of time, and I think I was too early since he is an afternoon teacher.  Instead, I just moseyed back to Kansas since I had been out so long.  But I texted him, and if he still has his sanity (he took a busload of kids to NE on Monday to witness totality), he wants to get together.  So let's make a man date.

Bird, very nice to see you!  Come back more often.  Or at least Tweet more so I can keep up with you.

Bubba, thanks for dealing with Cleveland.  We had a great come from behind win last night against the Rockies, but overall we have not been playing as good as we need to since the break.  I appreciate all the help the Sox can offer against the Tribe, and against anyone else in front of us for the wild card, including those pesky Yanks.  ^_^ 

Sorry I have been away so much.  Trying to get my shit together on multiple fronts.  Even taking a four week break from alcohol (Jesus I am only 11 days in and I want BEER!) to cleanse myself for my Sprint Triathalon September 10.  After that I plan on getting a new keg in the Kegerator and resuming consumption.   Still learning this whole "running the business" thing.  I have determined that perhaps I am a better sales person than owner and boss.  Subby-do you still struggle with that?  Running the business?  All kinds of shit to deal with....

Anyway, hope you all are good.  No real complaints.  I am slowly losing weight and getting in shape, and I have my health and my family and friends, so nothing real to bitch about.  But I am jonesing for a Boulevard Tank 7 draw...

subcooling    32
4 hours ago, Bufffromks said:

Sorry I have been away so much.  Trying to get my shit together on multiple fronts.  Even taking a four week break from alcohol (Jesus I am only 11 days in and I want BEER!) to cleanse myself for my Sprint Triathalon September 10.  After that I plan on getting a new keg in the Kegerator and resuming consumption.   Still learning this whole "running the business" thing.  I have determined that perhaps I am a better sales person than owner and boss.  Subby-do you still struggle with that?  Running the business?  All kinds of shit to deal with....

It is a constant struggle.  This year more so that last year, which I think is odd. Last year after dad passed away it was an adjustment for sure, but we went on to have one of the best years profit wise that we have ever had.  My bother's wife filed for divorce last July and in the process she is dragging the business into court to try and get herself a payday. Sales and profit have been good this year too but not as good as last year.  I have lost a couple of guys this summer, one of them was one of my better technicians and sales guys.  Finding quality new people is proving to be next to impossible. Last year we started trying out a new program to put one young guy through an apprenticeship program where he works here and we pay for his school at a local community college.  That is promising, but will take time to build the bull pen if we open it up to more people.  I hope that one day I will hit my stride and have everything under control but I won't hold my breath for that just yet.

The short answer would have been to just answer you question with a yes, but complaining is cathartic sometimes.  

PapaBubba    17
17 hours ago, subcooling said:

It is a constant struggle.  This year more so that last year, which I think is odd. Last year after dad passed away it was an adjustment for sure, but we went on to have one of the best years profit wise that we have ever had.  My bother's wife filed for divorce last July and in the process she is dragging the business into court to try and get herself a payday. Sales and profit have been good this year too but not as good as last year.  I have lost a couple of guys this summer, one of them was one of my better technicians and sales guys.  Finding quality new people is proving to be next to impossible. Last year we started trying out a new program to put one young guy through an apprenticeship program where he works here and we pay for his school at a local community college.  That is promising, but will take time to build the bull pen if we open it up to more people.  I hope that one day I will hit my stride and have everything under control but I won't hold my breath for that just yet.

The short answer would have been to just answer you question with a yes, but complaining is cathartic sometimes.  

Getting good people is near impossible.  One of our long time (20+ years) techs left last week unexpectedly.  We're small with 3 techs and each had their own specialty, very busy and coming into our busy season.  We're f'd.  Should be a fun 6 months.  But to find someone with that experience will be near impossible.  Especially in the next couple weeks.  Did I say we're f'd?

subcooling    32
On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 8:20 AM, PapaBubba said:

Getting good people is near impossible.  One of our long time (20+ years) techs left last week unexpectedly.  We're small with 3 techs and each had their own specialty, very busy and coming into our busy season.  We're f'd.  Should be a fun 6 months.  But to find someone with that experience will be near impossible.  Especially in the next couple weeks.  Did I say we're f'd?

I think the message is getting out that trades are a great way to make a living and career but more needs to be done.  And even if it turns around it is going to take years to get the workforce stocked up again.

36 minutes ago, subcooling said:

I think the message is getting out that trades are a great way to make a living and career but more needs to be done.  And even if it turns around it is going to take years to get the workforce stocked up again.

I've been trying to convince my son-in-law to go the trade/skilled profession route, but, I'm just a dumbass and don't know what I'm talking about so... I guess he's happy trying to support my daughter and grandson on minimum wage.

Matt Dog    14
18 hours ago, Flavius Victor said:

I've been trying to convince my son-in-law to go the trade/skilled profession route, but, I'm just a dumbass and don't know what I'm talking about so... I guess he's happy trying to support my daughter and grandson on minimum wage.

Have you given the same advice to the daughter?  It may sound cynical, but these days I think it's reasonable for a parent to be considering how their adult children will handle their post-divorce life.  

subcooling    32

Has anyone heard from Mahum?  Wondering how he is faring down there in H-town.

subcooling    32
18 hours ago, Flavius Victor said:

We are not a humble county any more.  A lot of people will toil away trying to keep appearances because trades or "manual labor" is beneath them.  People talk in terms of what being respected when they don't realize what is needed to earn it.  What many people actually lack is self-respect.

PapaBubba    17
13 minutes ago, subcooling said:

Has anyone heard from Mahum?  Wondering how he is faring down there in H-town.

I have not seen anything on FB from him.  Hoping he is at higher ground.

Bufffromks    45
On 8/29/2017 at 9:26 AM, PapaBubba said:

I have not seen anything on FB from him.  Hoping he is at higher ground.

Ditto.  Hope he is fine.  My regional manager down there that lives in The Woodlands is fine.  I think he has water issues, but is safe.

PapaBubba    17

Hump Day Roll Call

==================

Buff - Day 4,859 I think

Bubba - 5056

On 8/29/2017 at 8:36 AM, Matt Dog said:

Have you given the same advice to the daughter?  It may sound cynical, but these days I think it's reasonable for a parent to be considering how their adult children will handle their post-divorce life.  

My daughter will be graduating with her degree in Child Development in December with plans to go into teaching.  She is cognizant of his impending failure as a provider and we are ensuring that she will be self-sufficient soon.  Divorce is a realistic alternate reality for them and we are preparing her for that scenario. 

On 8/29/2017 at 9:17 AM, subcooling said:

We are not a humble county any more.  A lot of people will toil away trying to keep appearances because trades or "manual labor" is beneath them.  People talk in terms of what being respected when they don't realize what is needed to earn it.  What many people actually lack is self-respect.

I think this one is just lazy.  Doesn't want to put forth the effort.  I offered to pay for a technical school/program for him to become an electrician but he never followed through.  I got him hooked up with free certification training as a network engineer but he never followed through with that.  Instead, he took a job making $75 a week cleaning pools part time.

I really want to take that boy hog hunting down in south Texas... tell everyone he got lost, let the hogs clean things up.

Hump Day Roll Call

==================

Buff - Day 4,859 I think

Bubba - 5056

Flav - 4652

Matt Dog    14
38 minutes ago, Flavius Victor said:

My daughter will be graduating with her degree in Child Development in December with plans to go into teaching.  She is cognizant of his impending failure as a provider and we are ensuring that she will be self-sufficient soon.  Divorce is a realistic alternate reality for them and we are preparing her for that scenario. 

I am truly sorry to hear that.  I am glad she has a realistic plan though.  Sounds like you raised her right.  As we all know, any of us are capable of hitching our horses to the wrong wagon.  

mahum    6

I am good. The house sustained no damage.

My wife and I were in Lubbock moving our older son into a house for his junior year of college last Thursday. We started home on Sunday and made it as far as College Station where our younger son is starting college. We live on the northwest side of Houston south of 290 and just east of Barker Cypress. We attempted to get home on Monday and made it within 5 miles of before turning around and going back to CS. Highway 290 was flooded at the Barker Cypress exit and we spent about 45 minutes trying to find an alternate. When the F250s are turning around you know you need to turn around as well. We made it back to the house yesterday.

We are starting to see food and gas shortages. Had to go to four stations this morning before finding one with fuel. We have plenty and am feeling very blessed to have escaped damage from this storm. There are people in the stores that really have nothing more than what they are wearing. It truly tugs at your heart.

Buff not calling you out or anything but I broke 200 pounds. That is 20ish pounds from January.