Quit Smokeless Community

Matt Dog    14
15 hours ago, mahum said:

I am good. The house sustained no damage.

My wife and I were in Lubbock moving our older son into a house for his junior year of college last Thursday. We started home on Sunday and made it as far as College Station where our younger son is starting college. We live on the northwest side of Houston south of 290 and just east of Barker Cypress. We attempted to get home on Monday and made it within 5 miles of before turning around and going back to CS. Highway 290 was flooded at the Barker Cypress exit and we spent about 45 minutes trying to find an alternate. When the F250s are turning around you know you need to turn around as well. We made it back to the house yesterday.

We are starting to see food and gas shortages. Had to go to four stations this morning before finding one with fuel. We have plenty and am feeling very blessed to have escaped damage from this storm. There are people in the stores that really have nothing more than what they are wearing. It truly tugs at your heart.

Buff not calling you out or anything but I broke 200 pounds. That is 20ish pounds from January.

Glad to hear you are ok.  Lots of damage, lots of cleanup to do.  I donated some cash to a national charity (not THE big ones, who don't exactly have a great reputation for how they spend the money), if you know of any local charities that could use some cash, please let us know.  

I'm on the verge of 200... but started out much higher.  Here, this is where I am (not bragging or being a douche, just offering in case anyone wants to take up this approach):  Started on May 8 tipping the scales at 255.  As of today, I'm at 203.  The numbers keep going down, and with it all the other stuff that needs to go down is going down, like BP.  I'm going to do some blood work soon, and expect the bad cholesterol number to be good.  I was always on the border with that one.  Feel great, look incredibly better... and it's a simple plan:  Eat pretty much all the plant food I want.  Greens, non-starchy veggies, berries and other fruits to my heart's content.  Beans, seeds, and nuts for protein, and at this point moderate reintroduction of animal based foods (fat free coffee cream, meat maybe once a week, if that, very very little cheese).  

This is a lifestyle change, as significant as quitting the tobacco, and one I intend to keep up as long as I can, one day at a time.  Do I miss what I'm not eating anymore?  Sure, but nowhere near as much as I thought I would, and I never feel like I'm depriving myself, or finish a meal wishing I could eat more.  

mahum    6
6 hours ago, Matt Dog said:

Glad to hear you are ok.  Lots of damage, lots of cleanup to do.  I donated some cash to a national charity (not THE big ones, who don't exactly have a great reputation for how they spend the money), if you know of any local charities that could use some cash, please let us know.  

I'm on the verge of 200... but started out much higher.  Here, this is where I am (not bragging or being a douche, just offering in case anyone wants to take up this approach):  Started on May 8 tipping the scales at 255.  As of today, I'm at 203.  The numbers keep going down, and with it all the other stuff that needs to go down is going down, like BP.  I'm going to do some blood work soon, and expect the bad cholesterol number to be good.  I was always on the border with that one.  Feel great, look incredibly better... and it's a simple plan:  Eat pretty much all the plant food I want.  Greens, non-starchy veggies, berries and other fruits to my heart's content.  Beans, seeds, and nuts for protein, and at this point moderate reintroduction of animal based foods (fat free coffee cream, meat maybe once a week, if that, very very little cheese).  

This is a lifestyle change, as significant as quitting the tobacco, and one I intend to keep up as long as I can, one day at a time.  Do I miss what I'm not eating anymore?  Sure, but nowhere near as much as I thought I would, and I never feel like I'm depriving myself, or finish a meal wishing I could eat more.  

I will let you know what I hear about charities. Right now most agencies are collecting food, water, medical and cleaning supplies. We are also looking for a place to donate $ to. We will probably donate to a couple of the schools in the area. They are going to be short handed and overloaded with students in the near term, many of them fundraiser for supplies and that will be in short supply. I know that JJ Watt has raised somewhere north of $10 million. He has been very humble about it. His plan is to load semis from other parts of the country and bring supplies to those who need them.

Awesome work on your weight and numbers. This is my second time through this journey. My first trip was several years ago and I got from 240 down to 202 and did not break through and got frustrated. Rose back up to the 220s. I went through several different diet plans including a vegan diet similar to yours. On it I felt the best but it is difficult to maintain when those around you are not on it. I also live in the land of the cow and Mexican food.

Matt Dog    14
On 9/1/2017 at 4:39 PM, mahum said:

I will let you know what I hear about charities. Right now most agencies are collecting food, water, medical and cleaning supplies. We are also looking for a place to donate $ to. We will probably donate to a couple of the schools in the area. They are going to be short handed and overloaded with students in the near term, many of them fundraiser for supplies and that will be in short supply. I know that JJ Watt has raised somewhere north of $10 million. He has been very humble about it. His plan is to load semis from other parts of the country and bring supplies to those who need them.

Awesome work on your weight and numbers. This is my second time through this journey. My first trip was several years ago and I got from 240 down to 202 and did not break through and got frustrated. Rose back up to the 220s. I went through several different diet plans including a vegan diet similar to yours. On it I felt the best but it is difficult to maintain when those around you are not on it. I also live in the land of the cow and Mexican food.

Did not know that about JJ, but I'm not surprised.  I donated to Samaritan's Purse, and others have suggested a few other national charities (including Sal Army).  If you find out any specifics, letting me know will be appreciated.

I do understand about being around others who aren't also dieting.  I've more or less forced my son along with me, although his is not as strict as mine.  My daughter could use a drastic change in her diet, but she's 22 and knows every damn thing there is to know in this world (which essentially consists of knowing everything I know is wrong, and she knows the opposite). 

Matt Dog    14

Roll Call

Bubba - 5062

Matt - 3990

Approaching 4K, which is a cool looking number, but as you guys know, at this point one number is really no different from another.  It's about what we do today.

mahum    6

Roll Call

Bubba - 5062

Matt - 3990

mahum 4500

mahum    6
On 9/3/2017 at 10:39 AM, Matt Dog said:

Did not know that about JJ, but I'm not surprised.  I donated to Samaritan's Purse, and others have suggested a few other national charities (including Sal Army).  If you find out any specifics, letting me know will be appreciated.

I do understand about being around others who aren't also dieting.  I've more or less forced my son along with me, although his is not as strict as mine.  My daughter could use a drastic change in her diet, but she's 22 and knows every damn thing there is to know in this world (which essentially consists of knowing everything I know is wrong, and she knows the opposite). 

There are a lot of opportunities. We gave through our church which is partnering with the Texans and some of the United Way charities. We were assured that 100% of the money will go into the community with none of it being used for administrative fees. We will probably also give money to the elementary school my wife works at. The word from the superintendent is that every student gets registered regardless of where they are living or what their status is. If they can't produce documentation then they will be flagged as disaster relief. The schools are also supplying food and supplies to families that ask. My wife spent the better part of yesterday gathering items for the family that she was assigned. There are a lot of kids that are going to show up at a school they have never attended and the clothes they are wearing are probably the only ones they own. It will be a rough year.

There are a ton of fund raising events. If you have a passion, there is someone raising money for it.  The granularity which some of these groups are working at guarantees you know where your money will end up. In the case of the elementary school, it will go into that school's general fund and can only be used there.

Church

Brash Brewing <-NOT CHURCH

Southern Smoke <-Raising money for displaced culinary workers.

PapaBubba    17

Mahum, glad to hear that you and family are ok.  It's heartbreaking seeing some of the stories down there. 

mahum    6
1 hour ago, PapaBubba said:

Mahum, glad to hear that you and family are ok.  It's heartbreaking seeing some of the stories down there. 

Thanks! It will be a process draining, drying, and rebuilding the city. It will be better when it is done.

#ReliefBeers

mahum    6

Roll Call

Bubba - 5063

Flav - 4658

mahum 4501

Matt Dog    14
22 hours ago, mahum said:

There are a lot of opportunities. We gave through our church which is partnering with the Texans and some of the United Way charities. We were assured that 100% of the money will go into the community with none of it being used for administrative fees. We will probably also give money to the elementary school my wife works at. The word from the superintendent is that every student gets registered regardless of where they are living or what their status is. If they can't produce documentation then they will be flagged as disaster relief. The schools are also supplying food and supplies to families that ask. My wife spent the better part of yesterday gathering items for the family that she was assigned. There are a lot of kids that are going to show up at a school they have never attended and the clothes they are wearing are probably the only ones they own. It will be a rough year.

There are a ton of fund raising events. If you have a passion, there is someone raising money for it.  The granularity which some of these groups are working at guarantees you know where your money will end up. In the case of the elementary school, it will go into that school's general fund and can only be used there.

Church

Brash Brewing <-NOT CHURCH

Southern Smoke <-Raising money for displaced culinary workers.

Thanks, I think I'll go the Church route.  Not that I don't trust the school folks, I'm sure they're all doing all they can.  However, if it's connected to government, I do have my skepticism as to whether the money goes where it needs to go as efficiently as non-governmental enterprises.

PapaBubba    17

Roll Call

Bubba - 5065

Great game for Buff last night, ugly game for me. 

Matt Dog    14

Roll Call

Bubba - 5065

Matt - 3993

I mostly don't watch baseball these days (and never watch football), but the Cards are having some recent success from calling up AAA guys.  Their Memphis team has been historically great this year, and even thought the Major League team has gutted them, apparently they're still winning.   

subcooling    32

Roll Call

Bubba - 5065

Matt - 3993

Subcooling - 4940

subcooling    32

Glad to hear you made it through Harvey in good shape Mahum.

Matt Dog    14

Roll Call

Bubba - 5069

Matt - 3997

Closing in on 4K.  Had a Killer sighting on the Jan '07 group.  I am not sure if he and I are the only two remaining from our group.  Would be nice to find out otherwise.

J5K    49

Who is Hillary Blaming Today Roll Call

Matt Dog    14

J5K - 4923

Matt - 3998

Not me I hope, I was in the bathroom the whole time.  

1 hour ago, Matt Dog said:

J5K - 4923

Matt - 3998

Not me I hope, I was in the bathroom the whole time.  

Killer - 4001 Starting towards the big 5K

On 9/12/2017 at 11:06 AM, Matt Dog said:

Matt - 3997

Closing in on 4K.  Had a Killer sighting on the Jan '07 group.  I am not sure if he and I are the only two remaining from our group.  Would be nice to find out otherwise.

These days, a Killer sighting is rarer that seeing Big Foot or the Loch Ness Monster. Unless you're in a strip club, then the odds are probably 50-50.

MikeyBr from our group also made it all the way without dip or chew. I think he smokes cigars sometimes though.