Quit Smokeless Community
Sign in to follow this  
westpal6

GPS?

Does anyone use a GPS while jogging? I have been using the Garmin Forerunner 305 for a couple of months and I can't imagine running without it now. It only takes a few seconds to load the satellites and has been very dependable thus far.

I definitely recommend one for runners who like to know distance, time, pace, etc... It totally removes the monotony of the daily run. You can run a different route everyday and know exactly how far you've gone. There are also functions that have helped lower my times. It makes the journal alot easier also.

Anyway, I was just curious if anyone else uses one.

Love my Garmin 305. My wife got it for me for Christmas. It is AWESOME. Was able to see every time my dog had to stop to do "her business!" I have only had a chance to use it twice so far as it has been brutally cold here--hence treadmill running...

Does anyone use a GPS while jogging? I have been using the Garmin Forerunner 305 for a couple of months and I can't imagine running without it now. It only takes a few seconds to load the satellites and has been very dependable thus far.

I definitely recommend one for runners who like to know distance, time, pace, etc... It totally removes the monotony of the daily run. You can run a different route everyday and know exactly how far you've gone. There are also functions that have helped lower my times. It makes the journal alot easier also.

• Like 1

Love my Garmin 305. My wife got it for me for Christmas. It is AWESOME. Was able to see every time my dog had to stop to do "her business!" I have only had a chance to use it twice so far as it has been brutally cold here--hence treadmill running...

QUOTE (westpal6 @ Nov 13 2009, 09:43 AM)

Starting out really low. I think I like the slow steady climb to 100 pushups.

Day 1. 15 pushups.

Welcome brother! I started at 20 and have progressed quite nicely. Stick with it and I believe you will be amazed with the results.

QUOTE (westpal6 @ Nov 13 2009, 09:43 AM)

I finally got one for a few months ago and so far it's been worth every cent. I got the least expensive one, the Garmin Forerunner 110, for a little over a hundred bucks at REI. I don't have a heart rate monitor strap for it, but I guess you can buy one for it. Myself, I don't need or want a heart rate monitor, I know when my heart rate is up! Anyway the little watch is kind of like magic to me in that it does pace, mile splits (or quarter mile splits, half-mile splits, whatever you set it up to be), and is tracks elevation as well as distance. I love plugging it into the computer afterwards and it maps out where you went with elevation and speed graphs. It's so cool to "watch yourself" run on a map right after you ran! It's amazing that you can go under long tunnels and stuff and somehow the satellites still keep locked on to it. Works great riding bike too. It recharges via usb, like everything else these days. One time it wasn't turning on, and I had to "reset it," a 5 second procedure of holding down a couple buttons in sequence, then it worked fine again. Apparently that just needs to get done every once in a while. I'm glad I got the one I did, I can't imagine the more expensive ones doing anything any better than what I've got, plus it looks and feels like a regular old sports watch, which I like. My old Timex Ironman watch has fallen out of use since I got the Forerunner. I honestly can't imagine anyone who buys one not liking it. I suppose they're going to be obsolete pretty soon because of smartphone gps apps and whatnot, but for a little over a hundred clams and no service fees, it's a pretty sweet deal. I've noticed too that I usually end up running a little (sometimes a lot) further than I had planned because I'll look down and it'll be like 6.81 miles, and I'll say to myself, "Yo chill, you might as well make it an even 7," and I'll

. So, you know, I probably end up going a couple extra miles a week because of that reason.