Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

benpitt : (27 April 2017 - 09:19 AM) congrats on 69 days TSand
PharmBoy : (27 April 2017 - 07:44 AM) It's Throat Punch Thursday! Git-er-done
kelbro : (27 April 2017 - 06:58 AM) How could I have been so stupid?
Tiger Refuge : (27 April 2017 - 05:28 AM) Dip sucks.
TR1960 : (26 April 2017 - 03:47 PM) What Chief said

Photo

Quit smoking

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#1 set

set
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Quit Date:01-11-2017

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:24 PM

Hi guys, is it true ”The Cold Turkey” is the most successful technique for quitting smoking?  

#2 set

set
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Quit Date:01-11-2017

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:14 PM

I'm very glad to be able to say that life after nicotine addition just gets better with every passing year. When I think of cigarettes at all, it is with gratitude that I don't have to smoke anymore. And EVERY addict can have this freedom! We just need to earn it, one moment at a time, this moment, right now. Everytime we choose, this moment, to NTAP, we say YES! to life.

#3 Fish

Fish

Embrace the Suck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • Quit Date:11-14-2016

Posted 16 November 2016 - 08:40 AM

My dentist recently sent me to an oral surgeon because my lower gums were so badly receded.  The surgeon recommended a skin graft, but he won't do it until I've quit the Copenhagen.

So here I am.  Won't be my first sojourn on here.  Back in '05 or so, I was here as mikeoxlong.  The support on this site helped me reach the HOF, and I proudly wrote my acceptance post.  On I went, dipless.  Until, about 2 years later, I went through some shit and caved.  The whole "a bad thing happened" bullshit is just an excuse.  I had control over myself, and nobody shoved that dip in.  I went on happily dipping ever since.  Now, I'm here, because I'm fucking sick and tired of it. Sick of planning my day around a can.  Sick of dipping at work and seeing my coworkers disgusted. Sick of panicking every time I notice a bump in my mouth.  Sick of feeling fear every time I go to the dentist. Sick of being embarrassed at the bulge under my lower lip. Goddam it, I am 44 years old, and I've got no business continuing this juvenile habit.

I'm going to do this the same way I did last time, which was an effective initial quit strategy.  I've ordered some Smokey Mountain Straight (drove all over town and couldn't find any locally), it will get here on Tuesday.  Bought some nicotine gum -- I will use that for the first 4-5 days and then quit that too (tastes like shit).  My quit date is Wednesday, the 16th, when I have the fake dip ready to go.  On that day, I will post Day 1 on my quit group thread.  Look forward to reading all the wisdom I enjoyed last time I was here.

Welcome back, Swearengen. I hope you plan on posting up with your new group. You know what you are in for, so lets do this thang.

Today's the day.  Looking forward to having another quit brother.

#4 Tiger Refuge

Tiger Refuge

Straight Bad Ass Quitter

• Site Moderators
  • 14,816 posts
  • Interests:My family, running, football, cooking, eating, beer, hunting.
  • Quit Date:01-24-2013

Posted 15 November 2016 - 09:42 AM

My dentist recently sent me to an oral surgeon because my lower gums were so badly receded.  The surgeon recommended a skin graft, but he won't do it until I've quit the Copenhagen.

So here I am.  Won't be my first sojourn on here.  Back in '05 or so, I was here as mikeoxlong.  The support on this site helped me reach the HOF, and I proudly wrote my acceptance post.  On I went, dipless.  Until, about 2 years later, I went through some shit and caved.  The whole "a bad thing happened" bullshit is just an excuse.  I had control over myself, and nobody shoved that dip in.  I went on happily dipping ever since.  Now, I'm here, because I'm fucking sick and tired of it. Sick of planning my day around a can.  Sick of dipping at work and seeing my coworkers disgusted. Sick of panicking every time I notice a bump in my mouth.  Sick of feeling fear every time I go to the dentist. Sick of being embarrassed at the bulge under my lower lip. Goddam it, I am 44 years old, and I've got no business continuing this juvenile habit.

I'm going to do this the same way I did last time, which was an effective initial quit strategy.  I've ordered some Smokey Mountain Straight (drove all over town and couldn't find any locally), it will get here on Tuesday.  Bought some nicotine gum -- I will use that for the first 4-5 days and then quit that too (tastes like shit).  My quit date is Wednesday, the 16th, when I have the fake dip ready to go.  On that day, I will post Day 1 on my quit group thread.  Look forward to reading all the wisdom I enjoyed last time I was here.

Welcome back, Swearengen. I hope you plan on posting up with your new group. You know what you are in for, so lets do this thang.

#5 Tiger Refuge

Tiger Refuge

Straight Bad Ass Quitter

• Site Moderators
  • 14,816 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 09:41 AM

I just quit on Saturday November 12th. I was hiding it from my wife and she found some cans. She is upset with me about hiding it from her and lying. I have 3 children and a great wife and this is causing problems. I am done! Today is my fourth day without dipping. I am 44 years old and have been chewing off and on since I was 13. I hate doing it and hate hiding it. Just found this site today and joined. Wish me luck.

Welcome James! I hope you take some time to read the articles and postings contained within the site. Your story rings familiar with a lot of people here, including me. Make sure you post up with your quit bros in February 2017. Holler if you have any questions.

#6 Jamesj.

Jamesj.
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Quit Date:11-11-2016

Posted 15 November 2016 - 08:24 AM

I just quit on Saturday November 12th. I was hiding it from my wife and she found some cans. She is upset with me about hiding it from her and lying. I have 3 children and a great wife and this is causing problems. I am done! Today is my fourth day without dipping. I am 44 years old and have been chewing off and on since I was 13. I hate doing it and hate hiding it. Just found this site today and joined. Wish me luck.
  • Tiger Refuge likes this

#7 Swearengen

Swearengen
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Quit Date:11-16-2016

Posted 13 November 2016 - 08:07 PM

#8 Bluesman

Bluesman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:I am a happily-married, active and involved father of three children. I chewed tobacco for more than 20 years. I quit chewing tobacco on November 3, 2001, by making a strong personal commitment, using every available quit aid (including Smokey Mountain Chew), and being an active and involved member of the QS Cafe.
  • Quit Date:11-03-2001

Posted 04 November 2016 - 12:35 PM

Name:  Bluesman

Buckeye State

Day 5,480

There was nothing special about Saturday, November 3, 2001.  

I went out that evening with some friends, knocked down several buckets of beers, argued about sports teams, that sort of things.  I had secretly tried to quit chewing again on the day before (that Friday), after finding a website called “Quit Smokeless,” but I bought a tin on the way to the bar.  At least half of my friends would be looking to “bum a dip” from me.  I was that guy.  Hell, it would have been ridiculous, embarrassing even, to pipe up with that kind of quitting nonsense in a bar with my friends.  The next morning, I woke up with a terrible hangover and a ripped lower lip.  And I thought about this website.   

Why did I care?  

Back then, “Quit Smokeless” was what we called a “Bulletin Board,” just a sleepy, single “forum” website with plain text entries.  The website was managed by a guy named Matt van Wyk, who appeared to be the only person using his real name. The form had data entry boxes for your name, location, number of days quit, and message.  There was one guy (Jogi) who posted like every single day, with way too much information (like how his bowel movements were effected by the quit).  Another guy (Not Dead Yet) posted only those three words, every so often.  There looked to be a couple of newer guys (Crash, Aiken, TX, Blair), fighting through early withdrawal symptoms.  And there was an “Archive” of sorts, which took forever to load, but it had posts from months and even years earlier.  Looking back, I think that was it.  The Archive.  I read everything, from start to finish … all of these people, just like me, who had quit chewing tobacco.  Mind-blowing.

If you could read my early posts, they were every bit as whiny and pathetic and unsure as the words of every “newbie” and new class that stumbles in these doors today. “The fog is terrible, can’t concentrate at all” … “Not feeling myself anymore” … “I’m an asshole without chewing tobacco” … “I almost ‘caved’ last night” … “Feeling down, yelling at everyone today” … I probably should have been fired from my job, as I sometimes spent my entire work day, reading and posting, reading and posting.  I would click “refresh” like Pavlov’s Dog, waiting for new posts like dog treats.  My involvement here got to the point where I would still be thinking about the website when I was nowhere near a computer.  I remember a day when I felt like I was losing my mind … I invented a fake “client meeting,” went to the gym, and worked out for two hours until all I could feel was pain and exhaustion and something new … pride.  I felt the urge to get back to a computer and tell someone here, someone who knew, someone who would actually care and understand my victory and shout “I kicked ass today!” 

And I think that is how the “Bluesman” really evolved.  I discovered that my positive posts and shoutouts, my words of encouragement for others, were a powerful tool.  How could I possibly “cave” (and I hate that chickenshit word) when I just spent hours of work time, writing encouragement to everyone else on the website.  I was vested.  I cared about those guys, even without even knowing their names, and I cared about the “Bluesman,” this new person I was creating online.  I remember that weekends were a big deal because, at the time, most of us did not even have internet access at home (or maybe just dial-up!).  Every Monday morning, it was like a check in to make sure everyone survived the weekend.

So if there is a postscript to “The Secret of Our Success,” which I wrote as my Hall of Fame Speech long ago, here it is … This website is the secret.  There is nowhere else where you are going to find people, just like you, who really understand what you are doing.  It took me a long time to introduce the “tobacco-free me” to my real world friends and family (other than my wife, of course, who knew something was wrong with the asshole on the other side of the bed).  My close friends were absolutely dumb-founded (“What???”) and in disbelief (“No way!”) … I was the guy who was always chewing tobacco, “always there in a pinch,” just like the slogan, how could I quit?  Most doubted I would last, even questioned why I wanted to quit.  So this website was my place, a level playing field, somewhere to get outside of my head, fight the addiction, and reinvent myself as a tobacco-free person.  This website was the key.

And today, November 4, 2016, frankly, I have no reason to be here.  I have not had even a passing thought to chewing tobacco in years and years.  It’s completely irrelevant to me.  I usually forget that I even chewed tobacco … kind of like that mullet that I had in 1982. 

But one thought occurred to me, as I looked at the date this morning … The Archive.  I am now the Archive.  I am the voice of a quitter, from years and years and years ago, writing to someone who may have just found this website, trying to find some answers and hope and understanding.  So here it goes …

First, let me answer your question directly …  you will quit chewing tobacco.  It may be today.  It may be tomorrow.  It may be in six months or in five years, or may be when your gum line is riddled with leukoplakia (precancerous legions) or even when you are listening to your doctor explain surgeries and survival rates for oral cancer.  But, you will quit chewing tobacco.  You know this statement is true.  The only reason that you searched for and found this website, the only reason that you are reading this post right now, is because you know you have to quit chewing tobacco.  So, candidly, that is not the right question … The right question is, “When will you quit chewing tobacco?”  To answer that question, you need some perspective.

When ….

You will have to trust me when I tell you that I could have matched you, whine for whine for whine, on everything … how “hard” it is to quit, or why today is not a good day to quit, or what will be better about next week/next month/next year.  And in your heart, you already know what I am about to tell you … You are lying to yourself.  It’s nonsense.  All of it.  The only thing that needs to happen in order for you to quit chewing tobacco is in between your own ears.  “When” is the day that you find the courage to tell that whiny, pathetic, addicted voice inside of your head to shut the fuck up, and then do what you need to do, what you must do and ultimately will do.  And this is especially true if you have found yourself caught in that classic quit-and-cave, quit-and-cave, spin cycle of stupidity and self-harm.  How many times do you need to hit yourself in the head with a hammer, and experience all of the very worst, most painful, and excruciating side effects, before you decide to stop hurting yourself?  There is a reason that it is painful … only do it once.  Just stop.  Seriously.  Stop.  It’s lunacy.

But even that is not the full perspective that I came here to share.  Rather, from the vantage point of 5,480 Days and forever counting, I challenge you to explain to me, in any way or words or shape or form that you like, how a mere 24 hour period, or one week, or even 100 days, is a “hardship” or a “sacrifice,” when compared to health and happiness and years and years of freedom from addiction.  What a ridiculously small and inconsequential sacrifice … and what an amazing, incalculable return on investment.  I “suffered” for about 8 weeks, with varying degrees of mind-numbing annoyance and “quit angst” for a few months … I cannot even imagine the pain and bad health, disappointment and despair that I would be living with now, and all of those days in between, if I had not found this website 15 years ago, sucked it up, and quit this addiction.  THAT is perspective.   It’s a better return than if I had gone back in time and bought a thousand shares of Apple stock ($1.34 on the day that I quit chewing tobacco!).

From the vantage point of 15 years, chewing tobacco is the most moronic, disgusting, juvenile, asinine addiction one could develop, this side of crack cocaine and heroin.  And trust me, I am not being judgmental here.  I spent more than 20 years of life, cramming my lip with dried out, chemically-treated tobacco leaves, laced with formaldehyde, swallowing the brown drool as my teeth turned yellow, my gums permanently wore away, and the nicotine continually fed my addicted mind.  So I am speaking to you from a place of genuine humility and understanding when I say to you … This is just fucking stupid.  

You have to quit and you will quit.  Do it today.  Make today the “when.”  The truth is that you can never “un-ring the bell.”  This post will stick with you for the rest of your life because, well, now you know.  You have knowledge and perspective and understanding.  And on some level, consciously or subconsciously, you will regret every single day that you do not quit.  

A few weeks ago, I was visiting my son at college.  He recently turned 21 years old, and we were heading out to the bars together.  Later in the evening, back at their house, one of his friends pulled out a tin, put in “a rub,” and offered some to me.  I started laughing.  For the very first time, I told my son that I use to be addicted to chewing tobacco.  He was dumb-founded (“What???”) and in disbelief (“No way!”).  I assured him it was true, it was one of the many stupid things that I did when I was younger, and that it was a terrible addiction.  I told his friend that I wished I had quit sooner and told him about this website.  I hope he shows up, sooner than later.

Thank you to all who served as my “Archives.”  Thanks to Matt, Dave, and the people who continue to maintain this website.  It's important work.  I am happy to support it.  Thanks and shoutouts to my “quit brothers,” however they are and wherever they may be.  I don't see them here and regard that as a good thing ... It means they too have moved on to better and more important challenges.  Thanks and shoutouts also to the generations of quitters who followed me, including Spongebob, Macab, Penguin, 7iron, Ohioman, Mr. Hyde, Steve, Chill, and so many others (including all of the "Old Timers" who keep that forum going).  I stay true to my commitment, at least in part, because I felt I owed it to you.

Good luck.  Free your mind, day by day, hour by hour, whatever it takes, whatever you need to do.

The Bluesman

• Dillhole, Tiger Refuge, TR1960 and 2 others like this

#9 macabs1

macabs1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Quit Date:10-29-2002

Posted 03 November 2016 - 12:43 PM

My quit track today read 5120 days and over $25,000 saved.  I never could have imagined I would be at this point 5120 days ago.  I figured a life of dipping for myself and a short life at that.  17 years of chewing Copenhagen and I was as hooked as you can get.  The QS website I found a couple days after deciding to quit saved my life.  The first article I read that great day was "The Secret of Our Success" by Bluesman.  I have read and reread that article a few dozen times since then and it still gets to me, as if Bluesman were talking to me directly.  If you have not had a chance to read his article, look it up and give it read.  His article was just the beginning for me.  I read every day, participated in the cafe and they quit month groups.  This took my mind off the need to chew and once that bond was severed I was well on my way to a successful quit.  

Those were the Halcyon days of QS.  Walking the halls back in those days were guys like the founder, Matt VanWyck, Spongebob and Bluesman himself.  I am not sure how it operates now.  I see the cafe exists as well as quit groups.  Use it all.  Have your fellow quitters back.  This is a tough MF to beat, but you can beat it.  I was in your position all those many years ago with the same feelings and the same doubts.  Best of luck!

Mike C

quit date 10/29/2002

Thank you Matt wherever you are :)

#10 Fish76

Fish76

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Quit Date:11-03-2016

Posted 03 November 2016 - 09:30 AM

I've said many times since I finally quit 10 years ago at age 54, that would not return to dip if someone could give me an ironclad guarantee that I would never have a tobacco related health problem and that every can would be paid by someone else, because nothing compares to the FREEDOM I've had from not factoring in nicotine into my every waking hour. Crap still happens, but dip would not fix any of it, it simply feeds the addiction.

Congrats on your new journey and keep your FREEDOM one crave, one hour, one day at a time.

"Nothing compares to the FREEDOM..."  What a great line.  This is day 1 for me, so thanks for that little gem.  Trying to find an ironclad reason to quit beyond the boring (it's bad, expensive, blah blah) ...  I know all of these things.  I know my health will certainly improve.  I know I'll be better off financially not dropping $50/week on a crutch that allows me to do something I can do on my own???  But the freedom line of not factoring access to a tin into my every waking hour sounds amazing.  Thanks Eutychus

#11 Tiger Refuge

Tiger Refuge

Straight Bad Ass Quitter

• Site Moderators
  • 14,816 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 05:47 AM

Let's get some HOF speeches! Reading them still helps me stay quit. Those from the July-October class post them up. Pumped for you!!!

I agree, Mark. I love me some HOF speeches!
  • Eutychus likes this

#12 MarkPaul52

MarkPaul52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Quit Date:03-07-2016

Posted 16 October 2016 - 05:55 PM

Let's get some HOF speeches! Reading them still helps me stay quit. Those from the July-October class post them up. Pumped for you!!!

#13 Eutychus

Eutychus

Ancient One

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,478 posts
  • Quit Date:08-31-2006

Posted 16 September 2016 - 04:35 AM

129 days quit today.  I have been on and off the site for years (a different username in the past)... support here was always amazing, but I would return to the can because I was not ready.  This time around, I poked my head in as I prepared, but only lurked... I did this one on my own because I was ready!  I am on here today because I have a small voice calling in the back of my head, and I just wanted to check in.  I read some inspiring posts, and I'm gonna eat some lunch... no dip today.  

It only took a excisional biopsy back in May and a week of waiting to find out results to kick the habbit... luckily, I was not diagnosed with the "C" yet.  After a 20 year habit though, I will never be able to truly shrug that monkey... the damage is likely done and time is ticking.

I feel great for now and want to wish everyone strength in their quit... keep it up!

I've said many times since I finally quit 10 years ago at age 54, that would not return to dip if someone could give me an ironclad guarantee that I would never have a tobacco related health problem and that every can would be paid by someone else, because nothing compares to the FREEDOM I've had from not factoring in nicotine into my every waking hour. Crap still happens, but dip would not fix any of it, it simply feeds the addiction.

Congrats on your new journey and keep your FREEDOM one crave, one hour, one day at a time.

Edited by Eutychus, 16 September 2016 - 04:36 AM.

• D-Quitter likes this

#14 D-Quitter

D-Quitter
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Quit Date:05-09-2016

Posted 15 September 2016 - 11:50 AM

129 days quit today.  I have been on and off the site for years (a different username in the past)... support here was always amazing, but I would return to the can because I was not ready.  This time around, I poked my head in as I prepared, but only lurked... I did this one on my own because I was ready!  I am on here today because I have a small voice calling in the back of my head, and I just wanted to check in.  I read some inspiring posts, and I'm gonna eat some lunch... no dip today.  

It only took a excisional biopsy back in May and a week of waiting to find out results to kick the habbit... luckily, I was not diagnosed with the "C" yet.  After a 20 year habit though, I will never be able to truly shrug that monkey... the damage is likely done and time is ticking.

I feel great for now and want to wish everyone strength in their quit... keep it up!

• Eutychus likes this

#15 RAS101

RAS101

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Interests:fishing (fly and otherwise - freshwater), golf
  • Quit Date:07-23-2016

Posted 24 August 2016 - 09:54 AM

You Could Quit Tomorrow – RAS101

So you still have that can in your pocket. But you’re thinking about quitting. The idea is in your head. You think, “I’ll quit tomorrow, yeah, tomorrow will be the day.” But then tomorrow comes, and you find yourself having the same conversation. Wash, rinse, repeat. Pinch, stuff, spit.

Or, perhaps it’s “I’ll quit at the first of the month”, or “This is my last can”. Then at the end of the month or at the end of the can, you say the same thing. Wash, rinse, repeat. Pinch, stuff, spit.

The problem here is that you aren’t quitting. Your persistence on putting your quit date in the future is stopping you from actually quitting.

On this site, we use the same technique that is keeping you from quitting, to stay quit. But instead of saying “I’ll quit tomorrow,” we say, “I will be quit for today”, or “no dip today (NDT)” or “no nicotine today (NNT)”. Then tomorrow comes and we say the same thing, but instead of continuing the self-killing habit, we continue our quit. One. Day. At. A. Time. (ODAAT).

So maybe what is standing in the way of you and your quit is one simple word. Change ‘tomorrow’ to ‘today’.

I have no doubt you could quit tomorrow, but I can’t help you with that. If you want to quit today, post roll call in your pre-hall-of-fame group, read everything you click on, get a few phone numbers, arm yourself with some hard candy and gum, and get ready for freedom. I can't help you with tomorrow, but I can help you with today.

So make your quit start today.

• Eutychus, Dillhole, Tiger Refuge and 4 others like this

#16 Tiger Refuge

Tiger Refuge

Straight Bad Ass Quitter

• Site Moderators
  • 14,816 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 05:59 AM

Hi everyone, don't know if this is where I should post this but just wanted to share a few things with everyone who have had similar experiences. So basically I'm 28, started doing chewing tobacco(pouches) at 18 when I started playing baseball in college. Once baseball was over after two years in the minors I continued to dip. Today marks the 9th year of consecutive dipping and I haven't really found a great method to kick the habit. I typically dip at work now because of the stress and on the weekends to relax. I've tried to quit on several occasions but I've yet to fully stop. I did go one summer of not dipping but now I'm back. Any advice on how to quit would be great. I'm getting nervous about mouth cancer and all the health issues associated with it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hey bud. you have found the quit dipping resource gold mine. There is all kinds of information contained within the pages of this site. Quitting dip is one of the hardest things that you will do. It's a battle with yourself. The best method to quit dipping is....to quit dipping. There is no silver bullet. You gotta find what works for you. To see what has worked for others here, go read the HOF groups. Go read the quit methods page. There is all kinds of stuff here. Hope to see you back.

#17 Dip18baseball

Dip18baseball
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Quit Date:08-21-2016

Posted 21 August 2016 - 06:56 PM

Hi everyone, don't know if this is where I should post this but just wanted to share a few things with everyone who have had similar experiences. So basically I'm 28, started doing chewing tobacco(pouches) at 18 when I started playing baseball in college. Once baseball was over after two years in the minors I continued to dip. Today marks the 9th year of consecutive dipping and I haven't really found a great method to kick the habit. I typically dip at work now because of the stress and on the weekends to relax. I've tried to quit on several occasions but I've yet to fully stop. I did go one summer of not dipping but now I'm back. Any advice on how to quit would be great. I'm getting nervous about mouth cancer and all the health issues associated with it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

#18 CraigMac6

CraigMac6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,207 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Gym, Beach, living life.
  • Quit Date:08-03-2015

Posted 21 August 2016 - 02:35 PM

BrianB. Where is Nov group located , I only see up to July

November is under the pre-hall of fame group.

#19 Mondash

Mondash

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Quit Date:08-21-2016

Posted 21 August 2016 - 11:06 AM

BrianB. Where is Nov group located , I only see up to July

#20 BrianB

BrianB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,406 posts
  • Interests:Family, Stock Market, Real Estate, Golf, Baseball, Photography
  • Quit Date:01-20-2017

Posted 21 August 2016 - 09:23 AM

Welcome Mondash! There is plenty of room for you in the November group! Jump in there and introduce yourself! You'll be glad you did!