Quit Smokeless Community
Flavius Victor

The Cafe - 2011

Hey,

I've gotta admit I don't have a clue how to use these forums just yet, but I did see the pictures of mouth cancer and it scared the sh*$ out of me...Anyways, my name is Tim and I've dipped for about 10 years and have tried qutting a number of times...12 weeks being my best. I'm married and have a 3 yr old son and an 8 month old son. I am using the patch and it seems to be helping....it's been 11 days and I'm not divorced yet, so thats good news! I guess what finally pushed me over the edge was uncontrollably picturing the time when my oldest son finally is old enough to go to school and he has to explain to his friends why his daddy is missing part of his face. It's kinda morbid but the thought of putting my family through that makes me want to beat the ever-living shit out of myself for ever having used that crap! It's not fair to any of them, and it's bullshit that it's taken me this long to truly realize my self-centered cravings for dip have overidden good common sense and caring more for friggin dip than my own family. I've used all of the excuses in the book..."this is the last can, I'll just start using it less (even though that thought made me use it more), if it's my time it's my time". I think you get the point...anyways just rambling because typing gives my fingers something to do other than driving them into a $6.00 can of minty cancer. Anyways, I'm here and this is it.....that shit can kiss my ass.....i'm done!!! Sorry about the language but I also kinda, "cut to the chase". Good luck to everyone!

Hey,

I've gotta admit I don't have a clue how to use these forums just yet, but I did see the pictures of mouth cancer and it scared the sh*$ out of me...Anyways, my name is Tim and I've dipped for about 10 years and have tried qutting a number of times...12 weeks being my best. I'm married and have a 3 yr old son and an 8 month old son. I am using the patch and it seems to be helping....it's been 11 days and I'm not divorced yet, so thats good news! I guess what finally pushed me over the edge was uncontrollably picturing the time when my oldest son finally is old enough to go to school and he has to explain to his friends why his daddy is missing part of his face. It's kinda morbid but the thought of putting my family through that makes me want to beat the ever-living shit out of myself for ever having used that crap! It's not fair to any of them, and it's bullshit that it's taken me this long to truly realize my self-centered cravings for dip have overidden good common sense and caring more for friggin dip than my own family. I've used all of the excuses in the book..."this is the last can, I'll just start using it less (even though that thought made me use it more), if it's my time it's my time". I think you get the point...anyways just rambling because typing gives my fingers something to do other than driving them into a $6.00 can of minty cancer. Anyways, I'm here and this is it.....that shit can kiss my ass.....i'm done!!! Sorry about the language but I also kinda, "cut to the chase". Good luck to everyone!

Welcome!

QUOTE (Ohioman1972 @ Feb 24 2011, 02:44 PM) I would like to congratulate Muddler. He has overthrown Killerattorney and is now KING POSTWHORE!!

Does that mean Killerattorney has a life now?

wink.gif

Ummmmm.....not really. :no:

FMD and Pengy. I'm so proud of you guys not letting the "little woman" (or "big ____________" fill in blank as you desire) drive you back to the can. As shown by the story below, I wish I'd exercised your fortitude. Stay strong men, and be like Lot (not me, aka Lot's Wife).

<!--quoteo(post=5668787:date=Feb 18 2011, 07:24 PM:name=formydaughter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (formydaughter @ Feb 18 2011, 07:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=5668787"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No idea what day I'm on, but getting damn close to being quit for 4 years. Unfortunately, this past week has been the toughest of my life. While on vacation in Cabo last week with my wife and one of my best friends and his wife, I found out that my wife and this so-called great friend have been sleeping together since last August. I caught them making out in the men's restroom at a bar at our resort. Pretty f'ed up, huh??!! I am still in a bit of shock, but trying to hold it together for my daughters, who are now almost 5 and 2. There are lies, deception and betrayal all around me. But you know what, turning to tobacco has not even entered my mind as an option.

Life really fucking sucks sometimes, but one thing this has taught me about my former habit is that I really did quit for myself.

FMD<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

FMD,

I have been going through that mess for the past year. Wife cheated on me, wanted a divorce. Failed to try at counseling as I believe in the vows I took, through better or worse, yet from her mouth, she states that I did nothing wrong. She moved out in April after 4 months of trying on my part, nothing on her part. Moved in with him (my thoughts) and left me to tend to the house. Not a fun experience, and it has been a very challenging year for me. However, my friends here at QS got me through many weeks of bad times. Feel free to join in on the banter of the 02-04 group...it has extended past 04 members. We are there for you if you need help. PM me if you want my number....I have first hand experience of what you are going through, and I have an ear to listen with. I do not have kids, so I lack in that department. But the anger I had inside, I delt with head on.

Best of luck to you FMD, I do not wish what I (and you) are going through on my worst enemy, let alone a fellow friend. Keep your head up, and keep the dip out of your mouth!

Pengy

Here is what I, Round2, posted today upon re-entering the HOF with the March 2011 Group.

To Pengy and JJ, thanks for having my back these last few months.

===============================================================================================

Round2 here; HOF March 20, 2011.

Today I post as Spongebob. Tomorrow, I go back to Round2.

THANK YOU, all of my March 2011 Quitting Friends.

You have all had a big impact on the quality of the rest of my life.

That is a pretty nice thing for each of us to be able to say to each other.

At summer camp in 1976, at the age of 17, as we all celebrated 200 years of freedom, I enslaved myself to the United States Tobacco Company, aka Satan.

For 27 years, I dipped Cope & Skoal. Skoal became the can of choice because it left fewer flecks stuck in this ninja dipper’s teeth. For more than half of those 26 years, I chewed over 1.25 cans/day. Of course for at least 20 years I wanted to quit, and made some attempts to quit, but lacked the conviction (we addicts have to hit bottom) and the skill (we really do need help – hence our view that this site has saved our lives). So, I kept taking my Skoal to work, closed my office door, and firmly believed it was impossible for me to do my job (an attorney) for very long (counted in hours) unless my brain was bathed in nicotine.

In the summer of 2001, my wife of almost 9 years died of Lou Gehrig’s disease. She never knew I dipped. In every other way, I was open and honest with her; but that was a terrible secret. Her death also left me the sole parent of our 6 year old girl. I had to find a way to quit to save myself, stick around for my daughter, and to quit dishonoring my wife who did nothing to bring on her disease whilst I actively courted cancer. Within a few days of finding the QS site, I knew I’d found my path to salvation. On October 22, 2002 I became Spongebob, and on January 15, 2003 entered the HOF date. Along the way, I wrote the “Spongebob Mantra” and “What Price to Save Ourselves.”

I stayed active at QS for quite some time after the HOF, but eventually was just poking my head in on occasion. There actually comes a point where coming back to QS makes you think about dip, and it is so nice to go days, then weeks, then months, and even years without feeling any pull toward the drug.

6 years after I quit dip, I got remarried. I told my new wife about my prior addiction, and told her that quitting may have been the hardest thing I’d ever done, and was one of my proudest accomplishments. Unfortunately, the new marriage was bad from the beginning. I tried so hard to make it work, but after about 1.5 yrs of constant fighting I went for a walk, stopped at 7-11 and self-medicated. Of course, the “just tonight, and I’ll toss the can on the way home” was just a self-delusion. Later, she caught me ninja dipping; I quit….for a couple of days……then returned to my old role of ninja dipping hubbie.

To say “it’s her fault” that I started dipping again is just more self-delusion. I and only I am in control of my body, my actions and my emotions. Only I am at fault for reopening that healed wound of addictive behavior. Still, I also know that underlying my dipping was my anger at what she had done to our marriage, to me and to my daughter.

Funny thing: if I hadn’t fallen off the dip-wagon, I might still be trying to salvage an un-salvageable marriage. But I realized: if I was so unhappy with this woman and our marriage that I would throw away 7.5 years of being clean, of trashing one of my proudest accomplishments, of risking my daughter losing her dad’s life on top of her mom’s life, then I was looking at a package deal: both Wife and the Can both had to go. (How’s that for “What Price to Save Ourselves”!!!!)

I cannot tell you how embarrassed I was to come back to QS. And yet, I knew that QS was the only way for me to beat the demon again. I only told a couple of old timers who Round2 really was, and that Spongebob had stumbled.

QS is about accountability, so I always believed that I needed to reveal Spongebob’s stumble. But I also wanted to report it as a success story, rather than a struggle in progress and possible failure. I wanted to return as a proud Spongebob on my (new) HOF date, not a Spongebob with his tail(?) between his legs.

So here is the moral(s) – We need to be ever vigilant. But if one stumbles, one can win again.

This time was much easier, for 2 reasons. First, I already knew it was possible. (In contrast, all through my first quit, I could only hope that I was could successfully quit. This time, having “won” before, I had the knowledge that with patience the distress would pass.) Second, I had the luxury of having rejoined QS relatively soon after stumbling. It would have been much better if I rejoined immediately, and I wish I had. But every day counts, and coming here after a 6 month fall was much easier than coming back after a 1 year fall or 27 year habit.

SO, I guess this is the Spongebob Mantra Addendum:

Having stumbled, I still remember what is important.

I accept my humanity, and I forgive myself,

I am now wiser. I am now stronger.

Now back to the work of vigilant defense.

Thanks for being my quit-partners for Round Two.

Each of us deserves to be immensely proud for seeing what is important in our lives and doing what it took to get to (or get back to) the HOF.

I like to quote Tiny Tim: “God Bless Us. Every One.”

• Like 1

Folks I'm quitting on May 1ST. I could really use some advice on dealing with the withdrawl symptoms and things such as that. maybe some mental distractions to break the cycle. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Im glad i found this site.

Folks I'm quitting on May 1ST. I could really use some advice on dealing with the withdrawl symptoms and things such as that. maybe some mental distractions to break the cycle. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Im glad i found this site.

hello mjreed and welcome to one of the best decisions you have made. The absolute best advice I can give you is read as much as you can on here. There are helpful hints kind of all over but especially in the library and HOF. Just a few ideas would be, drink lots of water and or cranberry juice, workout, read, post, read, post and let it out on here (not at your family). Good luck and we will see you on the 1st. If you start reading now, my guess is you will quit immediately instead of waiting, but whatever works best for you. Just remember, every single thing that is delaying, or keeping you from quitting is in fact the nicotine trying to keep its hold on you. Break free.

hello mjreed and welcome to one of the best decisions you have made. The absolute best advice I can give you is read as much as you can on here. There are helpful hints kind of all over but especially in the library and HOF. Just a few ideas would be, drink lots of water and or cranberry juice, workout, read, post, read, post and let it out on here (not at your family). Good luck and we will see you on the 1st. If you start reading now, my guess is you will quit immediately instead of waiting, but whatever works best for you. Just remember, every single thing that is delaying, or keeping you from quitting is in fact the nicotine trying to keep its hold on you. Break free.

welcome mjreed, congrats on the decision to take your life back. Post up in the August group and take it a day at a time! See ya in there.

My name is Kevin im 20 years old and have been dipping for 5. my older brother gave me my first when i was hanging out with him and his friends cope straight, i didnt throw up i didnt get sick. I liked it ALOT sense then its been non stop but i switched to grizzly. all through high school I dipped with my buddies I got all of them to dip which i feel bad for doing, and on into joining the marines still dipping, i started noticing my guns receding and my teeth are YELLOW its gross. I am recently engaged and over seas at this moment but i am coming home and getting married in september. Thats one reason I want to quit but mostly cause i dont want something holding me back or down I dont really know how to explain im just sick of it and everyone doing it around me (and spending money all the time just to be wasted on dip) .. I dont really know how to quit i set a date and im starting to slow down limit myself to how much I dip. my motivation is to be dip free and live free from that feeling of always needing a dip and how it turns into a priority to get one, also to see the look on my fiances face when she see's me not dipping and hopefully white teeth again.

My name is Kevin im 20 years old and have been dipping for 5. my older brother gave me my first when i was hanging out with him and his friends cope straight, i didnt throw up i didnt get sick. I liked it ALOT sense then its been non stop but i switched to grizzly. all through high school I dipped with my buddies I got all of them to dip which i feel bad for doing, and on into joining the marines still dipping, i started noticing my guns receding and my teeth are YELLOW its gross. I am recently engaged and over seas at this moment but i am coming home and getting married in september. Thats one reason I want to quit but mostly cause i dont want something holding me back or down I dont really know how to explain im just sick of it and everyone doing it around me (and spending money all the time just to be wasted on dip) .. I dont really know how to quit i set a date and im starting to slow down limit myself to how much I dip. my motivation is to be dip free and live free from that feeling of always needing a dip and how it turns into a priority to get one, also to see the look on my fiances face when she see's me not dipping and hopefully white teeth again.

Welcome home Kevin. I too quit before my marriage and started back up again 9 months later. I'm not going to lie, it's really freaking tough to quit and stay quit so you're going to need a lot of support. That's what we're all here for bro, to get support and to give it. The first 4-5 days are going to be quite possibly the hardest days of your life. Physical withdrawal from nicotine is a bitch, but after that it's just a mental game. You can do this and we're here to help.

"I miss being a slave. I want to dip again. I want to be a real man and face my fear of cancer and leaving my kids without a father. I want to lie to my wife every day and tell her that I am still quit. I want to have bad breath and scrape brown chunks of dip infested cheek cells from my mouth every morning. I want to go into a rage whenever I find out that I forgot to stock up and have to find an excuse to go to the store. I want to lie to each and every one of you that I am quit for today. I want to sign my "contract to give up" and boldly show it to everyone here who counts on my support." - These are the things that I would be saying if I caved today. None of these statements are true, so I will NOT be caving today.

• Like 1

The reason for the subforums was to keep support and non-roll call based subject matter from getting buried. As a newbie, I would encourage you to branch out and read the support based letters and speeches. After a month or so, I'd say going to the non-dip related areas wouldn't hurt. As a vet, I'd encourage you to lend support, not only in ways to get through craves, but also navigating the site. There are only a few active moderators here. I know Flav, Luke's Dad, Truckerick and Killerattorney are very busy with work right now, and I'm assuming the same is true for Vanquitcope. I am also busy but I have a desk job and a boss that doesn't always look over my shoulder... whistle.png

I understand that the reasoning seemed sound at the time, but the final result has been a catastrophe. Period.

As for stuff getting buried, people complained about it not because it was important, but because they are freaking addicts going through withdrawal and they need a target to bitch and rave about. It was one of the things that truly WORKED on this site. Now the stuff is worse than buried, because no one (except only the most ardent posters) has the time to go perusing 6 different HOF groups who are all discussing the same thing.

For god's sake, look at the numbers from one, two years ago and look at them now. Is it me or are we falling apart? I sympathize with FV and everyone who was involved in the makeover, but dammit, if I'm driving down a road and I see the bridge is out ahead, I turn the car around! It's like we took the population of Franklin, OH, and spread it out over Asia. How the hell are we supposed to communicate with each other when we're so fractured and separated?

The sad thing is that few people will even see this thread because there's too much else on the site. It's like a "Where's Waldo" book. That's all I have to say.

One more thing - Look at how many posts are in the Cafe since the makeover. I had a hard time even finding the Cafe to post in here!

So I found out over the weekend that my wife still resents me for lying to her about the fact that I dipped without her knowledege for over 10 years. This was a total blindside. I thought I was forgiven sometime in the last 562 days. It was crushing and made me want to dip. Obviously, I didn't. It appears she doesn't buy the whole mindset of the addict. The justifications we make. The lies we tell ourselves and our loved ones in order to keep feeding our addiction. Not suure there's anything I can do to change it other than continue to live my life properly and hope. I always tell people my addiction almost cost me my marriage...praying I can still use the word almost.

So I found out over the weekend that my wife still resents me for lying to her about the fact that I dipped without her knowledege for over 10 years. This was a total blindside. I thought I was forgiven sometime in the last 562 days. It was crushing and made me want to dip. Obviously, I didn't. It appears she doesn't buy the whole mindset of the addict. The justifications we make. The lies we tell ourselves and our loved ones in order to keep feeding our addiction. Not suure there's anything I can do to change it other than continue to live my life properly and hope. I always tell people my addiction almost cost me my marriage...praying I can still use the word almost.

It's all up to you Chip. You're the addict, not your wife. You have to decide if you are willing to sacrifice and fight for this.You are responsible, not her. It's all up to you.

It's all up to you Chip. You're the addict, not your wife. You have to decide if you are willing to sacrifice and fight for this.You are responsible, not her. It's all up to you.

Pretty sure you didn't read that properly. I've already changed my life - I've been quit 563 days and will remain quit forever. There's nothing more I can do now. It's actually all up to her. She has to either buy into the fact that it was the mindset of the addict that caused my behavior or continue to believe that I was consciously trying to hurt her. She can either forgive me, or not.

Pretty sure you didn't read that properly. I've already changed my life - I've been quit 563 days and will remain quit forever. There's nothing more I can do now. It's actually all up to her. She has to either buy into the fact that it was the mindset of the addict that caused my behavior or continue to believe that I was consciously trying to hurt her. She can either forgive me, or not.

Yes and No Chip... from her point of view you lied to her for 10 years (3,650 days) and you said yourself that she doesn't buy into the mindset of the addict. So why is it hard to believe that she still harbors some resentment and doesn't offer any apology for it.

It almost sounds like you did her wrong and your not quite ready to forgive her for it

You have to stay silently Quit and maybe someday she will come around. or maybe not, but you have to stay Quit for yourself first.Having no support at home makes it harder but not impossible. Mylilsecret's husband took a couple years to come around from the exact same point of view as your wife.

This is a great day to start a Quit!

It may not be easy, but it is worth the sacrifice!!

Quit today, be known as a Quitter tomorrow!

"I miss being a slave. I want to dip again. I want to be a real man and face my fear of cancer and leaving my kids without a father. I want to lie to my wife every day and tell her that I am still quit. I want to have bad breath and scrape brown chunks of dip infested cheek cells from my mouth every morning. I want to go into a rage whenever I find out that I forgot to stock up and have to find an excuse to go to the store. I want to lie to each and every one of you that I am quit for today. I want to sign my "contract to give up" and boldly show it to everyone here who counts on my support." - These are the things that I would be saying if I caved today. None of these statements are true, so I will NOT be caving today.

I thought this needed a bump back to the top. I'll include the "contract to give up" incase the one in your wallet is getting worn out you can put in a fresh copy

I wanted a contract to spell out everything that I knew to be true - I wanted no lies or rationalizations to go along with a cave. If I was going to fail, I was going to do so with complete mental clarity. I decided that if I had to fall off the wagon, if I had no other option available in my mind, then I could cave...all I had to do was read and sign my contract. Though I have read it many, many times over the last few months I have never been able to bring myself to sign it. This is the contract I wrote...the contract I carry with me to this day:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Contract to Give Up

I give up my quit. Quitting is impossible and I cannot do it. I love dipping more than I love myself. I care about dipping more than I care about my personal health. I love dipping more than I love my family. I know this addiction will kill me, and I ACCEPT that fact. I enjoy spending time alone with my can more than I enjoy spending time with anyone else on the planet. I look forward to losing my jaw, my tongue, my throat, my life - it's worth it. When I am lying in my hospital bed fighting a losing battle against cancer I will feel a sense of satisfaction knowing that this is the path I CHOSE. My only regret will be that I didn't start dipping earlier in life. I will feel sorrow for my family’s heartbreak and suffer untold pain, but I know you must sacrifice for the things you truly love. I know ALL the consequences of my actions and I accept them fully and without regret. I hereby choose to give my life to this addiction - I do so with a smile on face.

Signature: ____________________

Date: ____________________

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

In moments of weakness just remember, this can be done. Quitting is possible.....one day you will not need to dip to feel normal, you will not need it to function, you will get over those feelings of sadness and loss. Keep your eye on the ball, and never forget...the ultimate price in this battle is your life - and that's always worth fighting for.

Hope

Edited by Wyoming4life

An Introduction

By: 7iron

March 3, 2007

For those of you who have just started your journey towards freedom, I commend and applaud you. Stay close to this site ... it will literally help save your life.

For those still sitting on the fence (and the new guys as well), I say ...

Wow, you're back again?

Why do you keep coming in here to read all this stuff just to wander off with a nice wedge of tobacco still stuffed in your cheek? Seriously, you really are a glutton for punishment. The guilt has increased yet again to a point where you are just about ready to quit, but you hesitate ... and there it goes ...

Another opportunity to exhibit some self control has come and gone. Or has it? Oh my, you are still reading ... I have your attention. Good, real good!

See I do not want you to abandon your desire for freedom. I know firsthand what this addiction can do. One thing it did to me was convince me that my self indulgence was terminal and that I was powerless over the temptation for tobacco. I never really tried to quit because I knew it would be really hard. For various reasons, I had gone without tobacco and nicotine many times for a few hours or sometimes even for a few days. The white knuckled cravings that resulted were enough to convince me I could never quit forever.

Guess what? I still have not quit forever. I have however, for 337 days in a row, said "no tobacco today" and kept that promise. I have "closed the door" on tobacco and yet I maintain that I have not quit forever. How is that? Well, as I mentioned, for over 300 days, I have taken quitting seriously and have been able to stay quit for a single day. I do not worry about tomorrow. I do not contemplate a future without tobacco because that just puts unwanted pressure on me and sets me up for that "wanting something I cannot have" complex. So how do I know that when tomorrow comes, I will again be able to say, "no tobacco today?"

Simple, I was able to do it today. Tomorrow I will have even more confidence than I did today. When tomorrow comes, I will again promise myself that I can remain tobacco free for a single day.

However, do not wait until tomorrow to quit. I want you to quit today for one simple reason. If you go away from here yet again saying, "I'll quit later" or "it's just gonna be too difficult" then you are allowing this addiction an even firmer grasp on your psyche and your entire life. On the contrary, if you quit today, tomorrow will be that much easier because you will already have the confidence that you can quit today.

Still need some motivation? Pack your bags ... we're going on a guilt trip.

Go read the "Reply from Jenny Kern." Imagine your son, your daughter, your wife or your mother sitting at the end of the hospital bed. Imagine the tears welling up in their eyes and rolling down their cheeks. They are watching you die. It is really sad; this was preventable. Why didn't you listen when you still had the time? Imagine choking back the tears yourself as you finally realize that this addiction is literally killing you and robbing these loved ones of the man they have grown to love - the man they need in their lives.

Need to see some photos of what a "small little sore" can turn into? Removing cancer from inside your mouth is not like removing it from your back, the top of your ear ar the tip of your nose. Take a look at this website and these photos (warning: graffic oral surgery photos):

Outdoor Texan's surgery webpage

Are you scared? You outta be! Because even if you do not develop cancer, the nicotine has already caused damage to your circulatory system. Nicotine causes an increased heart rate, higher blood pressure and it also causes an increase in bad cholesterol.

If you do not quit, tobacco and/or nicotine WILL eventually be the root cause of your demise.

So if you are ready to quit, there is help here. You will want to join this May 2007 group. These guys will all reach 100 days free of tobacco (the Hall of Fame) in May, 2007. You can read HOF speeches here and at the original website.

Quit Smokeless' HOF speeches

I found tremendous courage in the "articles" at the Quit Smokeless website. Specifically Bluesman's Secret of Our Success and the SpongeBob Mantra.

Here's a link to my HOF speech if you have not already read it:

7iron's Hall of Fame Speech

I think you will find encouragement in these words. The path to freedom is a well traveled one. Many, many ex-tobacco users found the help they needed right here where you are. Don't go away from here sad, go away proud and quit!

Edited by Wyoming4life

Today is a great day to start a Quit, Spit out that Fatty, Toss out that tin, and get to Quittin' Everything you ever wanted to know about Quitting can be found on this web site. You need to dig in to it read and post read and post!! find your Quit group Feb 2012 post up your promise with them that you will not chew today and that is how you begin!! so simple even a Texican could do it!! In fact lots of them have and lots of folks, men and women from all over the world are Quitting here with us everyday!!

You could be the next Quitter here on QSSN!! Come on in the water is fine!!

Wyoming4life is hereby offering a free beer and bag of pretzels to anybody who bothers to drop bynad post in the cafe

Edited by Wyoming4life

Wyoming4life is hereby offering a free beer and bag of pretzels to anybody who bothers to drop bynad post in the cafe

Make it Chili Cheese Fritos and you got yourself a deal.