Quit Smokeless Community
Sign in to follow this  
higgey09

Today is the day - Kicking the old habit

First off, I want to thank everybody for creating such an awesome community in which we can support each other to end our dependency on this disgusting addictive crap. This is the best resource I have ever seen to aid in quitting chewing, and I will be using very often to get through it.

My name is Ben and I am from Plymouth, Minnesota. I am 20 years old and have been hooked on the skoal straight for just about 5 years now. I am currently a sophomore in college and own a landscaping business to pay for the whole scam. I started the business when I was 16 and now mow just about 110 lawns in the summer and snow plow about 30 accounts in the winter, so stress levels are often high with school, too. Chew has been a huge part of my life and it seems it is the only way to get through the day. I go through at least a tin a day, so its also an expensive habit.

I have tried to quit multiple times in the past 2 years, but no luck. I have recently been cutting back daily and starting today, 01/24/2011, I am going COLD TURKEY. My personal relationships, my health, and who knows what else have been affected by chew.. AND I AM DONE. I am quitting while I still have a nice set of teeth and a fully functionable mouth and jaw.

Any support would be awesome, as this first week is going to be hell, but I am done with this crap, I don't care if I have to sit on this website all day, my good health and peace of mind are worth anything.

Thanks in advance for any support!

Ben

Way to go Ben! I quit exactly 5 days ago and the next 3 days of your life will be miserable but don't make excuses for yourself, just don't dip!!!. I'm feeling better today than yesterday and hope to totally forget about this crap by this time next year. I'm going cold turkey also...

Best of luck!

First off, I want to thank everybody for creating such an awesome community in which we can support each other to end our dependency on this disgusting addictive crap. This is the best resource I have ever seen to aid in quitting chewing, and I will be using very often to get through it.

My name is Ben and I am from Plymouth, Minnesota. I am 20 years old and have been hooked on the skoal straight for just about 5 years now. I am currently a sophomore in college and own a landscaping business to pay for the whole scam. I started the business when I was 16 and now mow just about 110 lawns in the summer and snow plow about 30 accounts in the winter, so stress levels are often high with school, too. Chew has been a huge part of my life and it seems it is the only way to get through the day. I go through at least a tin a day, so its also an expensive habit.

I have tried to quit multiple times in the past 2 years, but no luck. I have recently been cutting back daily and starting today, 01/24/2011, I am going COLD TURKEY. My personal relationships, my health, and who knows what else have been affected by chew.. AND I AM DONE. I am quitting while I still have a nice set of teeth and a fully functionable mouth and jaw.

Any support would be awesome, as this first week is going to be hell, but I am done with this crap, I don't care if I have to sit on this website all day, my good health and peace of mind are worth anything.

Ben

Take it one minute at a time. Get past the first four days. Print the Contract to Give Up and put it in your wallet. Hard candy or even the fake stuff. Reach out, join the newest group and take your life back from what is nothing but smelly dirty shit in a can. It can be done. If I can go 200 days without a dip, after dipping for 20 years, you can make it through today. You dont want to piss off Truckerick, anyway/ Its not pretty when you do.

Ben

Good for you! You should spend as much time as possible for the next few days on this website. If you have to skip class or work because of the fog in ur head for the next few days, then do it. Your quitting has just become the main priority in your life for right now. At least for the next few days until you start to get a handle on things. If your anything like me, starting around day 5, you'll start to feel a little better. Your body will be physically detoxed by then. Then it becomes a mental battle, and dealing with the psychological craves that come from it. Do whatever you have to, though, to beat those craves down. Before you know it, you'll be at 7 days. That is a huge milestone. Keep it up for a few more days and, all of a sudden, you're at double digits!!!! That's huge. But, all along, you have to just take it one day, one minute, at a time. Just promise to quit for the day and deal with tomorrow when it comes. Remember this: Every battle that you have -- every mind-bending crave that you resist -- makes you so much stronger in the end. When you fight through those early craves, although it sucks at the time, you make your quit stronger and stronger, and you become less and less suceptible to the nic bitch. The craves get easier and easier to deal with. It won't be too long before you feel "normal" again and wonder why you didn't quit sooner. You will begin to feel more like a non-dipper, rather then an -ex-dipper. You will begin to view the habit as disgusting and regret that you ever started. All of this will be yours. But, first you have to get through those first few days. And they suck. No way around it. But you CAN do it. And you be so much better for it. You will bet your FREEDOM back. And isn't that what it's all about? That's what were all here for. Who wants to be a slave to a fricking cancer-causing chemical substance that financially drains you and is killing you at the same time? Any hands? The feeling of not being distracted by an urge, a craving, is priceless. Now I can sit through a movie, or a sporting event, or a good conversation with people without finding some excuse to get up and sneak away for a dip. You can begin to enjoy LIFE again and no longer be a slave. Quitting now = getting your life back. The early craves and withdrawals are brutal to get through, but just keep telling yourself that you don't want to ever have to go through them again. So deal with them, one day at a time, for a little while, and, before you no it, you will have your old life back. You can do it. PM me, or others around here, for help. We are all your quit brothers and are here to look out for you, and each other.

redsoxnation, itacud, buccee.. thanks for the support and encouraging words.. you wouldnt believe how much it helps.

I have made it this far through the day tobacco free, but it has been an extremely hard and I feel like I cannot focus on anything, its horrible. I feel my head is in a "daze" but like you said redsoxnation, this is the first step, and it will only get easier each day.

I am going to go to the gym and work out for a little bit to relieve some stress and refresh myself. I'll check in later to ward off the craves.

Thanks again for the support guys.

redsoxnation, itacud, buccee.. thanks for the support and encouraging words.. you wouldnt believe how much it helps.

I have made it this far through the day tobacco free, but it has been an extremely hard and I feel like I cannot focus on anything, its horrible. I feel my head is in a "daze" but like you said redsoxnation, this is the first step, and it will only get easier each day.

I am going to go to the gym and work out for a little bit to relieve some stress and refresh myself. I'll check in later to ward off the craves.

Thanks again for the support guys.

I found that putting a green tea bag where the dip used to go to be very helpful with the oral habit of having something in your lip. Still use them 513 days after quitting. You can do this.

tm-va

Dipped 30+ years and dip-free 1,706 days. Remarkably, just a piece of moistened cotton ball where you used to put a dip also works well. Moisten it in Listerine if a strong crave hits. Haven't needed one in a few years.