Quit Smokeless Community
Sign in to follow this  
fershigadig

AAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH!!!!!!

Hi I am new to the forum! You know everybody says to me you can do it, hang in there, if anybody can you can, try to forget about it, exercise more...blah blah blah. Unfortunately my support groups has never dipped for 20 plus years and has no clue how addictive nicotine really is!

Ok, enough of the dramatics. I did want to check this out as there is not a lot of support for dippers. Tons for smokers.

I have dipped for 27 years. For about 3/4 of the time at least a can a day. In the last 7 years I have attempted to quit about 4-5 times a year. So thats about a total of 35 times...Unsuccessfully!

Well its 2011 and I took my normal approach and bought the gum (4 mg) on Jan 1. 24 day later I am still dip free. But I cant celebrate yet cause Ive been chewing the gum 2 to 3 pieces at a time and burning through a 100-150 pack of nicorette in about 3 to 4 days.

To the point. This morning 1/24/2011 I decided enough with the gum and have been free of nicotine for about for about 7 hours. I honestly feel like i am suffocating. Something just as important as the air is missing. I have this buzzing and flickering sensation behind my eyes. My whole body is completely wrong. Absolutely going crazy.

I want to have a couple beer when I get home just so I dont terrorize my two girls. I know what your thinking low inhabitions higher probability of dipping. Ok so maybe I'll scratch that idea.

Anyways my brothers and maybe sisters any suggestions how to effectively make it through these next few hour and next few days?

Thanks in advance for your support!!! I know all of you have been there or are there now.

Hi I am new to the forum! You know everybody says to me you can do it, hang in there, if anybody can you can, try to forget about it, exercise more...blah blah blah. Unfortunately my support groups has never dipped for 20 plus years and has no clue how addictive nicotine really is!

Ok, enough of the dramatics. I did want to check this out as there is not a lot of support for dippers. Tons for smokers.

I have dipped for 27 years. For about 3/4 of the time at least a can a day. In the last 7 years I have attempted to quit about 4-5 times a year. So thats about a total of 35 times...Unsuccessfully!

Well its 2011 and I took my normal approach and bought the gum (4 mg) on Jan 1. 24 day later I am still dip free. But I cant celebrate yet cause Ive been chewing the gum 2 to 3 pieces at a time and burning through a 100-150 pack of nicorette in about 3 to 4 days.

To the point. This morning 1/24/2011 I decided enough with the gum and have been free of nicotine for about for about 7 hours. I honestly feel like i am suffocating. Something just as important as the air is missing. I have this buzzing and flickering sensation behind my eyes. My whole body is completely wrong. Absolutely going crazy.

I want to have a couple beer when I get home just so I dont terrorize my two girls. I know what your thinking low inhabitions higher probability of dipping. Ok so maybe I'll scratch that idea.

Anyways my brothers and maybe sisters any suggestions how to effectively make it through these next few hour and next few days?

Thanks in advance for your support!!! I know all of you have been there or are there now.

Hi There. I just posted this to someone else today and, after reading your post, I have the same advice for you. So, here goes:

Good for you! You should spend as much time as possible for the next few days on this website. If you have to skip class or work because of the fog in ur head for the next few days, then do it. Your quitting has just become the main priority in your life for right now. At least for the next few days until you start to get a handle on things. If your anything like me, starting around day 5, you'll start to feel a little better. Your body will be physically detoxed by then. Then it becomes a mental battle, and dealing with the psychological craves that come from it. Do whatever you have to, though, to beat those craves down. Before you know it, you'll be at 7 days. That is a huge milestone. Keep it up for a few more days and, all of a sudden, you're at double digits!!!! That's huge. But, all along, you have to just take it one day, one minute, at a time. Just promise to quit for the day and deal with tomorrow when it comes. Remember this: Every battle that you have -- every mind-bending crave that you resist -- makes you so much stronger in the end. When you fight through those early craves, although it sucks at the time, you make your quit stronger and stronger, and you become less and less suceptible to the nic bitch. The craves get easier and easier to deal with. It won't be too long before you feel "normal" again and wonder why you didn't quit sooner. You will begin to feel more like a non-dipper, rather then an -ex-dipper. You will begin to view the habit as disgusting and regret that you ever started. All of this will be yours. But, first you have to get through those first few days. And they suck. No way around it. But you CAN do it. And you be so much better for it. You will bet your FREEDOM back. And isn't that what it's all about? That's what were all here for. Who wants to be a slave to a fricking cancer-causing chemical substance that financially drains you and is killing you at the same time? Any hands? The feeling of not being distracted by an urge, a craving, is priceless. Now I can sit through a movie, or a sporting event, or a good conversation with people without finding some excuse to get up and sneak away for a dip. You can begin to enjoy LIFE again and no longer be a slave. Quitting now = getting your life back. The early craves and withdrawals are brutal to get through, but just keep telling yourself that you don't want to ever have to go through them again. So deal with them, one day at a time, for a little while, and, before you no it, you will have your old life back. You can do it. PM me, or others around here, for help. We are all your quit brothers and are here to look out for you, and each other.

Glad you are here, now it is time to make this quit stick.

#1 - Get over to the May 2011 group and post roll call. Don't worry about getting the post right. Get your name there. Those of us that have been around look for the new quitters there first. That is the place for support. There are already three new quitters and they would love to share misery with you.

#2 - Stick around here and read, post, rant, rave, read, post

#3 - Determine in your heart that there is nothing that can compel you to dip. Then make it happen.

#4 - Post some more

#5 - Congratulate yourself on being quit so long already

#6 - Post again

#7 - Embrace the Suck. You will never have to go through it again. This is the last time you will ever have to feel this crappy because of your nicotine addiction

#8 - Have you posted yet and started to get to know your fellow quitters?

#9 - Get involved here. The more involved you are, the more people get to know about you, the more you trust your fellow quitters, the more your fellow quitters trust you - the harder it is to cave.

#10 - Keep quitting - no matter what.

#1 - Get over to the May 2011 group and post roll call. Don't worry about getting the post right. Get your name there. Those of us that have been around look for the new quitters there first. That is the place for support. There are already three new quitters and they would love to share misery with you.

#3 - Determine in your heart that there is nothing that can compel you to dip. Then make it happen.

#4 - Post some more

#6 - Post again

#7 - Embrace the Suck. You will never have to go through it again. This is the last time you will ever have to feel this crappy because of your nicotine addiction

#9 - Get involved here. The more involved you are, the more people get to know about you, the more you trust your fellow quitters, the more your fellow quitters trust you - the harder it is to cave.

Ditto all of that. Brother fershigadig, you have found the right place. This is the only quit site/group that caters exclusively to dippers. We all know what you are talking about. There are people on this site that have been quit for hours and people that have been quit for years. We are all here and ready to support each other. Go to the May quit group and post. As a Marine you know how a team works. The same concept can apply here. The group supports the one and the one supports the group. Post up and promise your quit brothers that you will not dip today. Tomorrow do the same thing. It sucks but it can be done. Embrace the suck. You have jumped out of airplanes, for Christ's sake! You can do this.

Edited by SweetTony

#4 - Post some more

#6 - Post again

Ditto all of that. Brother fershigadig, you have found the right place. This is the only quit site/group that caters exclusively to dippers. We all know what you are talking about. There are people on this site that have been quit for hours and people that have been quit for years. We are all here and ready to support each other. Go to the May quit group and post. As a Marine you know how a team works. The same concept can apply here. The group supports the one and the one supports the group. Post up and promise your quit brothers that you will not dip today. Tomorrow do the same thing. It sucks but it can be done. Embrace the suck. You have jumped out of airplanes, for Christ's sake! You can do this.

dipped for 22 years or so. have found that putting a green tea bag where the dips used to go very helpful with the oral habit of having something in your lip.

tm-va 513

dipped for 22 years or so. have found that putting a green tea bag where the dips used to go very helpful with the oral habit of having something in your lip.

tm-va 513

Dipped 30+ years and dip-free 1,706 days. Remarkably, just a piece of moistened cotton ball where you used to put a dip also works well. Moisten in Listerine if a strong crave hits. Haven't needed one in a few years.

Hey Tony, I think you have fershigadig confused with Mason.

Your confusion is understandable because AAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH!!!!!! is what I would sound like jumping out of a perfectly good airplane. That, along with wet pants.

fershigadig and Mason, welcome, and congrats on your choice to quit. This site is awesome, I use it when I get a crave to divert my thoughts. The HOF speeches are inspiring and reassure me that I can do this and it is normal to feel weak at times, as long as you reach out for support when needed.

I have 122 days so far and I credit that success to good people here, Seeds, Oregon Mint and determination. I still get the craves, but having a "tool" nearby prevents caving.

Monday night I came home to frozen water pipes and was stressing. Before my quit, my first course of action would be to pop in a fat dip and "assess" the situation. This time, I just jumped right into it without the thought of dipping. That freedom will come, but don’t challenge it too early by doing high risk activity like getting drunk, or things you would do in company of a dip. For me, that was road trips in the car, and fishing. I was a ninja dipper so I glued myself to the family so I had no opportunity to dip. It sucked big for 1 week, less after 1 month, and before long, my attitude changed from how can I do this, to why didn’t I do this a long time ago? I’m an infant quitter compared to a lot of guys here who have years, but they will tell you, plenty of guys have caved after many years clean. It’s a daily grind, but one that is less painful as time goes by.

First thing I noticed was I wasn’t scheduling my day around dip breaks. Changing the daily routine was almost as difficult as the craves.

Today, I feel free and glad I haven’t retreated.

the same can be true for you

Thanks to everyone who replied!!!!!

Man It feels so good to know you are not alone in this.

I have to admit although I have been dip/nicotine free for 5 days it has been horrible. It has been filled with sleepless nights with cold sweats. Stomache feeling like its is being twisted. A buzzing feeling behind my eyes. My brain and physically I can barely describe in words.

But I am at day 5 and some of the symptoms are not there constantly as in the first 4.

Anyways, really to all of you thanks!!! I think I have spent more time since Monday on this site then actual work, but oh well. It definitely helped!

I ll keep you posted

You are going through the worst of it, dont give up, keep your eyes on the prize and kick this bitch in the butt. Nickys claws are scratching at you trying to make you screw up and find a reaon to let her back in. Dont let her.

If you dont have a tool yet, find one. seeds, fake stuff, hard candy, cotton balls, anything to get you through the craves.

Losing your face, teeth, or life is not worth giving in.

Keep checking in.

I have to admit although I have been dip/nicotine free for 5 days it has been horrible. It has been filled with sleepless nights with cold sweats. Stomache feeling like its is being twisted. A buzzing feeling behind my eyes. My brain and physically I can barely describe in words.

But I am at day 5 and some of the symptoms are not there constantly as in the first 4.

Try to remember what you have been going through if you are tempted in the future to think of dip as an old friend, one that you miss with a warm fuzzy feeling. Believe me, it's not uncommon. But it's a lie and you will know it's a lie as long as you remember what it took to get free of it. No friend on earth would put you through what you have experienced.

Just keep up the good work. One crave, one hour, one day at a time to FREEDOM!

B)

I agree, but I'll take it a step further. If someone offered to buy all the dip I could use for the rest of my life and could guarantee me beyond all doubt that I would never have any tobacco or nicotine related health or relationship issues as long as I lived, I would STILL choose to remain my own person and FREE of nicotine's control.

I value my hard earned freedom and I prefer to remain free.

I agree, but I'll take it a step further. If someone offered to buy all the dip I could use for the rest of my life and could guarantee me beyond all doubt that I would never have any tobacco or nicotine related health or relationship issues as long as I lived, I would STILL choose to remain my own person and FREE of nicotine's control.

I value my hard earned freedom and I prefer to remain free.

Same here. I didn't quit because of fear, I quit to be free.

"Ninja dipper"...that's funny. So was I...so the hope is that it'll be easier for us...but still tough...day 1 for me.

Hey Tony, I think you have fershigadig confused with Mason.

Your confusion is understandable because AAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH!!!!!! is what I would sound like jumping out of a perfectly good airplane. That, along with wet pants.

fershigadig and Mason, welcome, and congrats on your choice to quit. This site is awesome, I use it when I get a crave to divert my thoughts. The HOF speeches are inspiring and reassure me that I can do this and it is normal to feel weak at times, as long as you reach out for support when needed.

I have 122 days so far and I credit that success to good people here, Seeds, Oregon Mint and determination. I still get the craves, but having a "tool" nearby prevents caving.

Monday night I came home to frozen water pipes and was stressing. Before my quit, my first course of action would be to pop in a fat dip and "assess" the situation. This time, I just jumped right into it without the thought of dipping. That freedom will come, but don’t challenge it too early by doing high risk activity like getting drunk, or things you would do in company of a dip. For me, that was road trips in the car, and fishing. I was a ninja dipper so I glued myself to the family so I had no opportunity to dip. It sucked big for 1 week, less after 1 month, and before long, my attitude changed from how can I do this, to why didn’t I do this a long time ago? I’m an infant quitter compared to a lot of guys here who have years, but they will tell you, plenty of guys have caved after many years clean. It’s a daily grind, but one that is less painful as time goes by.

First thing I noticed was I wasn’t scheduling my day around dip breaks. Changing the daily routine was almost as difficult as the craves.

Today, I feel free and glad I haven’t retreated.

the same can be true for you

"Ninja dipper"...that's funny. So was I...so the hope is that it'll be easier for us...but still tough...day 1 for me.

I'd think, and this is just me mind you, but I'd think that the "ninja" dippers would have a tougher go of it than those of us who did it openly.

I mean, for you guys, it was like a secret alternate life, something no one else knew about (so you think) making it that much harder to "come clean" and get the support of those around you. You've got that whole trust thing you have to over-come first, right? Get the little lady (or man) over the initial shock of being deceived all these years.

Plus, there the accountability aspect of it all. If no one around you knows you were dipping/chewing in the first place, how are they going to know you quit? Or, caved for that matter? You've got yourself a built in out for whenever this thing get too tough.

No, I'm afraid you're going to have a tougher time of it than us non-ninjas. At least, that's the way I see it and I've been wrong before.

Good points all...This time, I'm finally "out of the closet" with a supportive wife...so I'm brimming with confidence...I just found this site. It's great and I hope...no...I KNOW it will make the difference. Plus, I have a good friend who was just diagnosed with throat cancer. They say it'll be treatable and he should be ok (after the hell of surgery/chemo/radiation)...but its a huge wakeup call. I let him know I'm quitting and he'll kick my ass if I fail! I've just come to the realization that the habit is just idiotic. I'm an educated/professionally successful dude...none of my peers dip...none of my friends/family (execpt the one mentioned above) dip or ever have. I'm just done! I'll keep posting my progress! Thanks again for this site!

I'd think, and this is just me mind you, but I'd think that the "ninja" dippers would have a tougher go of it than those of us who did it openly.

I mean, for you guys, it was like a secret alternate life, something no one else knew about (so you think) making it that much harder to "come clean" and get the support of those around you. You've got that whole trust thing you have to over-come first, right? Get the little lady (or man) over the initial shock of being deceived all these years.

Plus, there the accountability aspect of it all. If no one around you knows you were dipping/chewing in the first place, how are they going to know you quit? Or, caved for that matter? You've got yourself a built in out for whenever this thing get too tough.

No, I'm afraid you're going to have a tougher time of it than us non-ninjas. At least, that's the way I see it and I've been wrong before.

Being a Ninja user and now quitter has its challenges. Honestly I had 2 major factors to deal with when I decided to quit. #1 was health, I literally thought I was having a heart attack one day. #2 was living a lie to my wife/kids. It was driving me crazy knowing that I was poisoning myself everyday and my wife had no idea.

Part of my being Ninja was avoiding the hassle of my wife nagging or worse, fearing she wouldnt and didnt care if i dipped. I'm pretty sure I would never have found the motivation to quit if she didnt make me, and many of us know, its harder to quit when its for someone else, not our own desire.

If she didnt car eif i dipped, I would have gone from a 1/2 can per day guy to 1+ can per day. I would have been dipping morning to night. So in a way, ninja limited my use to when I was away from home.

No matter if your ninja/open, with or without support at home, regaining control over the grip of nicotine is difficult. I have been lucky so far, and not needed a ton of support, just the idea of coming here now and again to "chat" or call a personal friend to compare notes. I think I just was so ready to be done that I didnt fight it.