Quit Smokeless Community
Sign in to follow this  
Mason

Positive encouragement

I've been quit, tobacco and nicotine, for 10 days now. The sun is brighter, the grass is greener, the air smells fresher, and I sleep better.

My quit group seems to have taken a negative turn. I don't really know, I didn't read all the posts, just a lot of stupid stuff happened. Why would you say anything detrimental or damaging to someone who is trying to kick one of the hardest addictions that is known to the human race? This shit is truly a fucking monster. I don't care, you can be 30 years quit and you take one more pinch of dirt and you're back on it again like teenagers under the school bleachers.

My brother, 2 years younger, started dipping because he saw me doing it and wanted to be cool like his older bro. At first, I thought it was cool because it sort of justified me doing it. He won't ever tell you that, but I guarantee that's why he started. I'm trying to get him quit, he keeps going back to it ever couple of days. Do you have any idea how horrible that is? Because my little brother, my very best friend, more than that, wanted to be cool like me, he's thoroughly addicted to this monster. I want him to play with my kids someday.

In my work community (USMC), I'd honestly say 60-70% of the people here use tobacco, and I'd say 75% of those users use smokeless. Every single day is a fucking challenge man. Every morning, we're all standing around, guys are spitting, throwing in pinches, packing and playing with cans, talking about it, etc. You know how it is when you're around a group of die hard dippers.

If someone goes back to it, why would you belittle them or say shit? They need help and support, I mean fuck, come on. Positive encouragement. "Hey dude, check it, you're 12/24/36 hours quit." "Bro, look at that, you went to the gas station and didn't buy a can." "Oh man, talk about a trigger when X happened! And you didn't throw a lipper in, good on ya!" "See? You really don't need that shit!"

I've been quit, tobacco and nicotine, for 10 days now. The sun is brighter, the grass is greener, the air smells fresher, and I sleep better.

My quit group seems to have taken a negative turn. I don't really know, I didn't read all the posts, just a lot of stupid stuff happened. Why would you say anything detrimental or damaging to someone who is trying to kick one of the hardest addictions that is known to the human race? This shit is truly a fucking monster. I don't care, you can be 30 years quit and you take one more pinch of dirt and you're back on it again like teenagers under the school bleachers.

My brother, 2 years younger, started dipping because he saw me doing it and wanted to be cool like his older bro. At first, I thought it was cool because it sort of justified me doing it. He won't ever tell you that, but I guarantee that's why he started. I'm trying to get him quit, he keeps going back to it ever couple of days. Do you have any idea how horrible that is? Because my little brother, my very best friend, more than that, wanted to be cool like me, he's thoroughly addicted to this monster. I want him to play with my kids someday.

In my work community (USMC), I'd honestly say 60-70% of the people here use tobacco, and I'd say 75% of those users use smokeless. Every single day is a fucking challenge man. Every morning, we're all standing around, guys are spitting, throwing in pinches, packing and playing with cans, talking about it, etc. You know how it is when you're around a group of die hard dippers.

If someone goes back to it, why would you belittle them or say shit? They need help and support, I mean fuck, come on. Positive encouragement. "Hey dude, check it, you're 12/24/36 hours quit." "Bro, look at that, you went to the gas station and didn't buy a can." "Oh man, talk about a trigger when X happened! And you didn't throw a lipper in, good on ya!" "See? You really don't need that shit!"

I like what you say... but.. in contrast, you are still somewhat oppositional. Rage on, Brother!

The vast majority of guys in here are very supportive. The recent "pot-stirrers" haven't been that big a problem before. If they get out of hand again, I'd just suggest that your group go to the moderators, every last one of you, and request that the offending jerks be banned from your group. Let them troll the rest of the site. It's your group. You mmay have more sya than you think. Board guidelines are in place for a reason.

In reality, there is no 'one size fits all' way to quit (anyone who tries to convince you of that does not actually understand how addictions work and how folks can break addictions). What works for one person may or may not work for another. Success for one person does not promise success for another person, sadly enough. The fact of the matter is that we are all addicted to one of the most highly addictive, yet 'legal', substances in the world. If quitting was easy, US Tobacco companies would have much and make much less money than they currently do.

This site/forum works twofold for many, simply by the current design of this site. First, it provides you a group of quitters who have quit within the same time period. These are your 'quit brothers/sisters'. Research has shown that there are certain patterns that emerge along a fairly consistent time pattern when quitting nicotine/dip. These 'quit brothers/sisters' are (in theory) more prone to going through the same experiences that you are. They may not necessarily have the exact same experience as you, as every quit is different, but there is a greater likelihood that they will. This is a great set of people to exchange contact information with. Maybe just send a random text message every now and again. Maybe talk on the phone? Having a crave? Hey, call a quit buddy!!

Second, it builds a layer of accountability. You are posting up, you are telling everyone that no matter what, you will not dip today. You and your quit brothers/sisters are going through this helluva battle. If you miss roll call a day or two, hopefully, your brothers/sisters will notice and hopefully will get in touch with you and drag you back in. Me, personally, I am very adament about roll call. It's one of those 'habits' I do, as soon as I get to work, to pledge to anyone who wants to read and most importantly, myself, that dipping is not an option today.

I think these two things are what make this site work. Brotherhood and Accountability.

In terms of positive encouragement, that is exactly what some need. Some need ball busting. Some just want to post up. Some don't want any encouragement. Like I stated earlier, each quit is different and no two quits are the same. I can only offer my opinions on how things were for me. Does that mean that they are foolproof? Of course not. What worked for me does not mean it will work for you. What worked for you may have been exactly what worked for me as well. The one commonality everyone has here, however, is that we are addicted to nicotine.

Stay strong and stick around, this just may be the site that saves your life. Glad to be quit with you!!

I know I am only 135 days quit but I can say that the hate and discontent that I have read in the April '11 and May '11 quit groups is troubling. I don't know much of anything but berating someone until they quit the site cannot be much of a help and certainly is not "supportive". I have seen it happen twice in my short time here and both of them were women. Not sure why but it is a fact. If someone comes to this site they want to quit or why would they bother. I will support anyone that comes to this site. I don't care if they post Day 1 fifty days in a row. At least they are here. Most of us are faceless names and avatars. My best friends might be able to berate me into doing something. A stranger cannot. Why push someone away when you can open your arms and accept them and give them what THEY need, not what you need.

I know I am only 135 days quit but I can say that the hate and discontent that I have read in the April '11 and May '11 quit groups is troubling. I don't know much of anything but berating someone until they quit the site cannot be much of a help and certainly is not "supportive". I have seen it happen twice in my short time here and both of them were women. Not sure why but it is a fact. If someone comes to this site they want to quit or why would they bother. I will support anyone that comes to this site. I don't care if they post Day 1 fifty days in a row. At least they are here. Most of us are faceless names and avatars. My best friends might be able to berate me into doing something. A stranger cannot. Why push someone away when you can open your arms and accept them and give them what THEY need, not what you need.

I totally agree.

Well said! Bravo!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree to a point. If someone is posting multiple "Day 1's" in a row, then something isn't right. Either the commitment isnt there or the approach needs to be tweaked. I think that in my first few weeks if I saw someone posting day 1 over and over again it would give a message that it's perfectly fine.

Are those people welcome here? Absolutely! Do some folks need "tough love"? Yes. Does "tough love" mean belittling them, calling them obscene names, trying to make them feel worthless? Absolutely not. It is not constructive at all. It is not going to make the average new member quit.

I agree to a point. If someone is posting multiple "Day 1's" in a row, then something isn't right. Either the commitment isnt there or the approach needs to be tweaked. I think that in my first few weeks if I saw someone posting day 1 over and over again it would give a message that it's perfectly fine.

Are those people welcome here? Absolutely! Do some folks need "tough love"? Yes. Does "tough love" mean belittling them, calling them obscene names, trying to make them feel worthless? Absolutely not. It is not constructive at all. It is not going to make the average new member quit.

Excellent points per usual Ohioman.

To add to your point, Ohio, as a "supporter" or contributor to the site, a question we need to ask ourselves is what are we doing to improve the quality of the community? IMO, days quit does not equate to a QSSN cast system, where 10 day quitters are plebes compared to those with triple digits or commas or whatever. Yes we can offer value in terms of what to expect based on the been there factor, encouragement, etc, but there is no rank or paygrades associated with how many posts you have beneath your avatar or the days quit next to your name. I find that by contributing more, it strengthens my own quit which is why I like to be active on the site - I don't think I'm any better than the next quitter because I know prior to joining this community, I had somewhere around 10+ quit/cave sequences on my own.

Thus, I completely agree that personally attacking someone is way out of bounds and find that it causes new quitters to say, F this, I don't need the drama. Do not confuse this concept with thinking that caving is OK, "go get 'em next time Johnnie". The difference being around how are we helping one another stay quit. At some point, every individual who caves will make the decision to do so, even in spite of a phone full of numbers and full knowledge that they could call any of us and wake us out of a dead sleep. The human will and motive is something we can't control as virtual peers to these individuals.

Am I disappointed when I see someone cave? Absolutely. Are repeat cavers and those who cave in spite of posting that day going back on their word? Yes, and it pisses us off. Are there varying degrees of personal circumstances that each of us have battled throughout our quits? Without question, but in support of your comment, Ohio, it is completely detrimental to the community to call someone out publicly and belittle or insult them by calling them a pussy or weak or whatever. That's what PMs are for - if you want to pick on someone, don't do it in a public forum.

To add to your point, Ohio, as a "supporter" or contributor to the site, a question we need to ask ourselves is what are we doing to improve the quality of the community? IMO, days quit does not equate to a QSSN cast system, where 10 day quitters are plebes compared to those with triple digits or commas or whatever. Yes we can offer value in terms of what to expect based on the been there factor, encouragement, etc, but there is no rank or paygrades associated with how many posts you have beneath your avatar or the days quit next to your name. I find that by contributing more, it strengthens my own quit which is why I like to be active on the site - I don't think I'm any better than the next quitter because I know prior to joining this community, I had somewhere around 10+ quit/cave sequences on my own.

Thus, I completely agree that personally attacking someone is way out of bounds and find that it causes new quitters to say, F this, I don't need the drama. Do not confuse this concept with thinking that caving is OK, "go get 'em next time Johnnie". The difference being around how are we helping one another stay quit. At some point, every individual who caves will make the decision to do so, even in spite of a phone full of numbers and full knowledge that they could call any of us and wake us out of a dead sleep. The human will and motive is something we can't control as virtual peers to these individuals.

Am I disappointed when I see someone cave? Absolutely. Are repeat cavers and those who cave in spite of posting that day going back on their word? Yes, and it pisses us off. Are there varying degrees of personal circumstances that each of us have battled throughout our quits? Without question, but in support of your comment, Ohio, it is completely detrimental to the community to call someone out publicly and belittle or insult them by calling them a pussy or weak or whatever. That's what PMs are for - if you want to pick on someone, don't do it in a public forum.

Excellent posts, Tony, Ohio and CCIE. I've been here a long time, and it still amazes me why some members go out of their way to attack female quitters. We welcome members of all types here at QS....any gender, any race, any nationality, any sexual orientation, any religion, etc. If anyone feels they've been attacked by another member for these reasons or for any other reason, please contact any or all of the staff members to let us know.

This is a "quit smokeless support site". The key word is "QUIT", but an equally important word there is "SUPPORT". This isn't interpreted as supporting someone for caving. We hate it when someone falls back into the grips of their nicotine addiction. But as long as they're willing to keep trying, we're willing to keep supporting their efforts. Only the individual themselves can determine if they're serious about quitting. It is not up to another member to determine whether they're "ready to quit" or not. Also, there are many methods our members may use to effectively quit. Most of us have strong feelings about the "proper way" to quit. But what works for some people may not be the method that works for another person. Even if that person chooses the same method 10 times in a row and caves 10 times in a row, it is not up to us to berate them about their methods. Suggestions for better ways to do it are fine, but please avoid calling names or insisting that they do it your way. This type of response can often drive away people who need our help. Trust me...I've been here since 2006 and have seen it happen many times.

Stay strong in your quits, brothers and sisters. Don't let the nicotine peddlers win.

Good discussion and I believe everyone should really take a moment to look at WHY they are here. Everyone also needs to think about how they react to situations here and the comments they make. How would certain posts affect you and your quit? How does it affect your quit now? How would it have affected your quit on day 1 or 2? How will it affect your quit in the future?

Some of the dialogue, that seems senseless, is needed. For many months or possibly years, the activity in the newwer groups seemed to be nothing more than a lengthy roll call with a few words posted after their name and day. I always wondered if the "supporters" posting roll call truely felt their 3 or 4 words of encouragement were truely meaningful to a new quitter, or if they were following the leaders that posted support (in the form of roll call) in their original group. Were their phrases of support encouraging, meaningful and a key to maintaining your own quit? Or were they just words that you didn't even really take the time to read as it was the same, simple message day after day after day?

I believe seeing a "veteran" quitter who has been down the road you are currently going through does motivate one and give one hope that day XX or day XXX is achieveable. I have always believed that a new quitter could roam around the site to older groups to see those numbers too. I know some (actually many) of the "seasoned" quitters stopped posting their amazingly supportive, encouraging posts of beneficial advice ceased taking the time to pen those posts due to the quickness of that post being buried. And more so, the shame those "seasoned" veterans felt after numerous times responding to a quitter who was in a moment of desperation, only to find that the 90 quitter roll call had burried that post of advice and encouragement in a matter of minutes.

I believe it has been awhile since there has been any "hazing" or ridiculing due to a repeat quitter, as it seems that only recently have the groups begun to once again chat up a little bit, tell jokes, have fun, lose themselves here in nothingness for a few moments instead of divulging in the pain and hopeless feeling of beating this addiction that we encounter from time to time.

Somewhere down the line, members started the "fraternity" of quitting, and believed it was their right to "haze" the new groups with name calling and harrassing. That is one of the things that lead to the new QS after the original administrator lost any hope for controlling the mayhem. I do not know if it started as tough love and morphed into the hazing. I don't know it if was just a few members who got bored and started to have "fun" rather than to give the support and encouragement they had recieved. However it started, it began to snowball, and members began to place themselves on pedistools by their "senoirity" of days quit or post count. It was embarassing to watch a first time quitter of a few hundred days berate a "newwer" quitter who was new due to a cave, yet their previous quit surpassed the the multiyear mark. Every single one of us is just one mistake, one unclear thought away, one stressful and overwhelming situation away from posting a day 1 again.

Many do not know who I am, as I have begun to cherrish my new life, my quit life. Time on the site has been traded to putting my time into grad classes, running, traveling, etc. Early in my quit, this site was my life. Yet, I believe I could paint a fairly accurate image of what I would experience if I had a "weak" moment and caved and was forced to post day 1 again. I am sure I would get alot of "tough love" from members who have a few hundred days under their belt. I am sure I would get some "this is how you quit...any other way will result in another cave" comments (I have been around long enough to see this happen....often). So the 2500+ days I have right now, the experiences I have been through, the wealth of knowledge I have accumulated would mean nothing in those quitters' eyes. Why? Because they have a larger number behind their name than I do.

One of the things I used to mention to the new groups is that 100 days or 365 days does not mean you are cured. I have delt with wicked craves in the mid 600's, somewhere in the mid thousand mark, during the span of several grad classes I have taken, and most recently the past 10-12 months as I deal with the biggest stress of my life, going through a divorce. I have thankfully been able to vent and ask for help and I have recieved the advice and encouragement that I have needed. I have recieved it with some tough love even, yet I was never called names, berated, belittled, made fun of, or any other negative tactic.

One of the things I have noticed over the years, some of those "tough lover" quitters or "hazers" have ran with that personality which led to an overt cockiness on their own quit. I do not see them here anymore...I do not know if they just left out of boredom or if they left because they lost their quit. Something to think about. No one is any better here than anyone else. Some of the newwest quitters have the best insight of quitting that I have read, even though I have years of experience in this quitting thing than they have. Some "great" quitters have fallen and have come back to take another run at quitting. Do we ignore all their wisdom they shared with the site because they fell? Do we assume they have no right to speak up or share because they made a mistake? Does that give someone else the right to claim they are better than another because, for today, they have kept their quit intact?

I appreciate every member who takes the time to interact and build accountabilty to their own quit and invest themselves in someone elses quit. I believe that is what makes this site successful, accountability and investment...not posting a number every day on an internet site. Share experiences, share advice, don't be frustrated or pissed if someone doesn't use your advice (their style of quitting may be different than yours). Every quit is unique. We find many similarities in many quits, yet no one's journey steps evenly in another quitter's footprints. And along the way, we will find that even our own quits take an unexpected detour from the mapped out route we thought we were going to take.

No one comes here with the intention of become the site's kick-me doll. There is a difference between having different views on issues (like politics, religion, quitting styles) and attacking someone for having a different view. Sometimes it is a fine line, sometimes it is night and day between the 2. If we kick someone while they are making that "EFFORT" to quit, we may, someday, be the one being kicked god forbid we falter in our own journey. Once my grad classes calm down, and my training gets into a comfortable routine, I would like to sit down to compose a MISSION STATEMENT for the site, with the permission of the adminstrator and staff. Or possibly, throw that out as a suggestion for the adminstrators and staff to consider developing now. A posted mission statement be the thing to let members know what the purpose of the site is and what our roles are as quitters, newbies, veterans, staff, mods, administrators, etc. At times, it does seem that this is a place of nothing more than numbers due to the lack of interaction...and other times it seems like a club house. There are places here to play (member's group threads), and there are places to support (quit groups and cafe). None of us are perfect, and we all make mistakes. Don't allow our mistakes to be costly for someone else in a negative manner.

Ask yourself why you are here. Is it for you? Is it for others? Is it to offer motivation and encouragement? Is it because you are bored? I am still here because I NEED TO BE HERE FOR ME. I hope that I can help others while I am here, but if I do not help myself first, then I may not be here at all. I am here to maintain my accountability to my FAMILY, my group, my brothers and sisters who I have the privelage to meet up with multiple times a year, which adds more accountability to each of our quits. I am no better than the guy or gal who will quit for the first time next week. I can only hope that, if given the chance, I can offer advice and support from my experiences...that I can offer hope that they can make it to day 10 or day 50 or day 100 or day 365, as my quit date shows it can be achieved...and I hope that I can learn something new from that future quitter, a different perspective on quitting, and learn and continue to tolerate those who are successful at quitting in a manner different than my own.

-Penguin

I couldn't think of anyone better to write a mission statement than Penguin.

I agree! Pengy soon became one of my heroes after I joined this forum and he is still.

GO PENGUIN!

:fly28:

I agree! Pengy soon became one of my heroes after I joined this forum and he is still.

GO PENGUIN!

Oh, Geeze... There goes Marshall Dillon again! I know you and Miss Kitty have been hanging out behind the "Long Branch Saloon!" "Uh.... we're not doin' nothin', Truckerick." (Euty's hair is all messed up, he's tuckin' in his shirt and pulling up his zipper.)

If women are tough enough to go out behind the "Long Branch" they're tough enough to take a little "manly persuasion" to not put it in their mouth! (I'm talking tobacco, Folks!)

GO PENGUIN!

Oh, Geeze... There goes Marshall Dillon again! I know you and Miss Kitty have been hanging out behind the "Long Branch Saloon!" "Uh.... we're not doin' nothin', Truckerick." (Euty's hair is all messed up, he's tuckin' in his shirt and pulling up his zipper.)

If women are tough enough to go out behind the "Long Branch" they're tough enough to take a little "manly persuasion" to not put it in their mouth! (I'm talking tobacco, Folks!)

Wu-Tang is for the people.

Edited by Киров