Quit Smokeless Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ohioman1972

How old were you when you started using SMOKELESS tobacco?

124 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you the first time you used smokeless tobacco?

I was about 8 or 9 the first time I had a chew. I was 16 when I started chewing copenhagen on a regular basis so I voted for that category.

3rd grade right after a gun club practice, figured if an eight year old was old enough to shoot then he could spit too. A big ol' bite off a Redman plug, 2 minutes later laying in the grass looking up wondering why the world was spinning soooo fast

started while riding bikes with the neighborhood boys. One had a tin of Happy days and offered for me to try. I did and that was that up until now.

I grew up on a large cattle ranch. When I was about 7-8 I would bum chew from the hired hands. I was able to use without really becoming addicted until I was 14. That is when I became addicted and a everyday Cope dipper.

Added my vote...I was 16...my 14-year-old brother got me started (and he quit LOOONG before I did).

I know it's early in the voting (< 15 votes currently), but I find it amazing that everyone so far started dipping when they were under 20. I just always assumed there are a lot of smokers that turn to dip to quit smoking later in life...

Back in the 80s it was the cool thing to do after Urban Cowboy came out. Jr. High the chicks thought you were tough if you dipped. 12 years in the Army didn't help either.

I was about 7 or 8 when some older neighborhood boys pressured me into dipping some Hawkins. Well obviously at 8 years old (even though a can was less than a buck) I couldn't afford to get addicted. A few years later they came out with the age limits. I didn't get addicted until i was around 12 years old. i got a job cleaning horse stalls for 2 bucks an hour, i had a motorcycle and the gas station was only 1/2 mile from the farm. The lady at the store thought the age laws were stupid so she sold it to me any way. now i'm 41, My kids are 8 and 11. i dont want them following me. So Dangit, I quit.

I started smoking when I was 15 and was a card carrying addict by the time I was out of high school. Traded smoke for dip at age 25. That was 26 years ago for those scoring at home.

14 years old. Guy moved to my school from Florida and brought Kodiak with him. No one in my school, or any where else that I knew of, chewed. Soon 20 of us were doing it. There wasn't even rules against it in my high school because no one had ever done it. The rules came soon enough. Sigh, good times. I hate him for what he did to me but...good times.

14 years old ... I did it as a dare .. my best friend and I chewed her Uncle's Redman and then went to Copenhagen. I dipped for 22 years.

I was 7 years old. My dad was working on the garden, I was outside helping. He took a big bite of this brown plug and then spit. I young boy seeing this... I wanted some! So without hesitation, he let me bite some off. I'm 40 now so I don't remember every detail, but I recollect that it burned.

Couple years later at my cousins house, who is 5 years older than me, he had the same thing. So I was like... I've had that before and took another piece. Wasn't as bad.

I was 16 years old when I started dipping full time. Kodiak, at first. Sometimes Redman, and other pouch tobacco. When I hit my 20's, I started dipping Skoal full time- at least a can a day every single day for about 16 years.

I had my last dip 2039 days ago yo. That feels damn good.

Edited by fishforsale

I was thirteen. i had been smoking cigarettes and weed a little and one of my buddies at church brought this bag of these little brown pouches. I dont rememebr if it was griz, but it was definately straight and i popped one in and i couldnt walk or move. It was the biggest buzz id ever had in my life. of course i switched to long cut after a year and started dipping a can of grizzly wintergreen long cut a day from 15 years old until now, im 20. i drove to tennessee all the time to get dip because in bama you have to be 19 ( and gas attendants are a bit more cautious).

Pretty sure it was my freshmen year, 14 years old. Always thought if George Brett was such a good hitter (and he always had a big wad in his cheek) then it would make me a better hitter too. Well, I kept dipping and I never made it past high school ball so I pretty much proved that theory wrong. A buddy of mine stole a can of Hawken from the pharmacy I'm pretty sure. Pretty soon I was swiping cans from everywhere too. Didn't seem to affect me much so we moved up to Kodiak until eventually a kid I played ball with moved to our school from Alabama (I was in Iowa) Pretty sure he'd been chewing since he was born... I'll never forget, he always said "Sooner or later, it's Copenhagen". He should have been paid for all the advertisement he did because eventually I, and plenty of other kids at our school were chewing Cope. Was that way up until 1,404 days ago.

Good idea for a new discussion topic! I like it!

I was 26 or 27 when I started. At a party at a friends place. Some guy gave me some as a prank thinking I'd get sick. Instead I loved the stuff. Hate that guy...

When I was born the doctor dipped and i was a bad ass baby, so I slapped the doctor took his can of Copenhagen and packed a huge baby dip, I was so hard core that when I was teething I didn't use a pacifier, I took a dip and spit it in my ba-ba. now I am so fucking hard core that I quit dipping what a rush!

My first dip was at 16, but only lasted a few months before i switched to smoking cigarettes. Smoking lasted for about 15 years, then I started dipping as an alternative to quitting smoking. That was 2000 so i've been dipping for 11 years. I guess i just couldn't make up my mind what cancer i wanted. My quit date is 12/6/11.

Yeah just turned 50 in march..been dipping since i was 14. Yeah i say it's time to quit. crazy.gif Just here to challenge myself to do what seems impossible. To Stop Chewing!. I love a good challenge..Don't u?.

I was 13, at the annual festival that my town held every year. Friend of mine acquired a free sample packet of Skoal and dared me to dip it. Feeling like it was my destiny to do so, I ripped open the packet and shoved the contents in my mouth while uttering the largest understatement of my life, "This ain't nothin, my daddy does this stuff!". The rush made me go blind, I had to cooly lean on my best friend and smile big, then whispered to him to get me the hell away from them. From then on I was hooked and following family tradition.

Started when I was 13. We stole Hawken and Pouches all the time. Then came Skoal Cherry followed with Wintergreen and on to Kodiak. Me and my buddies thought it was the greatest thing in the world. Both of them still dip.

Edited by Flash35