Quit Smokeless Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ohioman1972

How old were you when you started using SMOKELESS tobacco?

124 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you the first time you used smokeless tobacco?

It looks like most here started in their early teens. I was one that started at age 20 or 21, while in college. Any of us knows that we shouldn't have started, however, I feel like I was the dumber one because at my age, I really should have known better.

19 years old for me. While enjoying the first little bit of freedom after USMC Boot Camp a friend gave me some Levi Garrett. Chewed that sporadically over the next 2 years or so. Was out of Levi and bummed a pinch of Skoal Classic. Got much more hooked and had been dipping that ever since for a total of about 19 years now. Was up to about a can a day until 07/12/2012 .. After I make it to the HoF I think I'll buy myself a nice gift with all that money saved.

• Like 1

I was 15. Dad never chewed, brother never chewed. Was never really introduced to it until I got to high school. I still remember that my first tin took me over a month to finish, and once I finished it, I was so sick of it, that I really didn't do it much afterwards. Then somewhere down the line, it became my everything...

• Like 1

Was 15 when I first started, most of my friends were 16 so we'd go on car rides and all take a chew. Once I got my license, I was always "going for a drive". Used to be because it would be a good rush. I turned 18 and my parents didn't care so I didn't have to sneak out to chew anymore. Around 18 I would only get a buzz when I was really drunk...this is when I was already doing a can a day.

Now at 22, I couldn't tell you the last time I actually felt something from a dip. That's why I decided it was time to quit. What's the point in doing something that doesn't do anything for me except cost me money, yellow my teeth, give me bad breath and has the potential to give me cancer.

Hello, I'm new here so I figured I'd participate in this poll. I was 5-6 first time I had a chew of Levi Garrett. My grandfather used to let me chew a little. I was probably 8-9 when I first dipped Skoal. I switched to Copenhagen later on. I was diagnosed with the 1st stages of mouth cancer when I was 21. I quit cold turkey immediately. After 3 damned years I started BACK!! Really??? What a DA I was/am!! I also was successful on a 3 month quit back in April of '12 and went back again!! Anyway, I'm 31 now and I'm trying to give it up for good this time. I have been VERY fortunate after 26 yrs to still be around!!

I was 21 or 22 when I began chewing around 1971 or 72. I had graduated from college and was coaching with my high school coach who I admired immensely. He chewed Red Man, so I took up chewing also. He moved on to another school and I took his place. Eventually I switched to Skoal because I didn't have to spit as much which was good because I began helping coach basketball along with football, and there weren't many places to spit in a gym.

My dentist was in his 80's. I asked him if chewing tobacco was bad for me, and he told me that all it would do is wear down my teeth a little earlier than normal. I attempted to quit about 8 years ago, but after a couple of months I was really frustrated because I couldn't get rid of the urges.

So many times I wished that I would have kept my quit going from 8 years ago. This time, at the age of 63, I know what to expect and am looking no farther ahead than one day at a time. Just make it one more day.

I was 21 or 22 when I began chewing around 1971 or 72. I had graduated from college and was coaching with my high school coach who I admired immensely. He chewed Red Man, so I took up chewing also. He moved on to another school and I took his place. Eventually I switched to Skoal because I didn't have to spit as much which was good because I began helping coach basketball along with football, and there weren't many places to spit in a gym.

My dentist was in his 80's. I asked him if chewing tobacco was bad for me, and he told me that all it would do is wear down my teeth a little earlier than normal. I attempted to quit about 8 years ago, but after a couple of months I was really frustrated because I couldn't get rid of the urges.

So many times I wished that I would have kept my quit going from 8 years ago. This time, at the age of 63, I know what to expect and am looking no farther ahead than one day at a time. Just make it one more day.

That's insane! A dentist, a person who has a degree in medicine and who takes the Hippocratic oath to help people says that all tobacco will do is wear down your teeth a little bit! That kind of story drives me crazy.

I had a religion teacher in high school who grew up in Somerville, MA (At the time, it was the most densely populated city in America) and she told us that when she was a little girl, the doctor told her father to start smoking cigarettes to ease his stress... WHAT! Craziness!

Started at 24, never smoked in my life. I joined the Army when I was 23, I started dipping shortly thereafter. If I never joined the Army I can guarantee I would not be here right now because i never would have dipped (I just turned 31) So I haven't been doing it as long as many people here, but still need to stop, I don't want to get into double digits for years I been dipping.

That's insane! A dentist, a person who has a degree in medicine and who takes the Hippocratic oath to help people says that all tobacco will do is wear down your teeth a little bit! That kind of story drives me crazy.

I had a religion teacher in high school who grew up in Somerville, MA (At the time, it was the most densely populated city in America) and she told us that when she was a little girl, the doctor told her father to start smoking cigarettes to ease his stress... WHAT! Craziness!

Furthermore its the kind of crap that gives some people the excuse their addiction needs to keep at it. If any of you are familiar with it, when i was trying to look up, quitters recording their stories on you tube, I came across "dip channels" where people review dips and many spread the BS about dip being a safe alternative to smoking, and not giving you cancer and crap all because of some dentist (Dr. Rodu) wrote a book about it. I guess they don't question the fact Dr. Rodu has an unrestricted grant from US Smokeless Tobacco.

I'm 15 and started dipping at the age of 8 when my non blood brother stole a plug of his grandfather's dip and I took a bite of it and put it in my lip and I can't remember everything that happened to me that night and now I've been dipping Copenhagen and grizzly since then.