Quit Smokeless Community
bigred83

The Cafe - 2012

Hello all:

First of all I want to thank the person/persons who created this site. The info contained here about the effects of nic and chemicals, etc. Big Tobacco has mixed in the soup of crap was a wake up call for me. I was aware of the info previously having gone through the quit process before. I'd also like to send a shout out to "Bluesman". His essay had a pretty profound impact, especially the part about how he attributed the dip to his success and productiivity as a lawyer. I dipped my way through college and law schoool and kept the habit. Gave the dip a status that was undeserved. I credited the stuff with helping me study, keeping me focused, blah, blah, blah. Now I know it has just the opposite effect. The myriad of health side effects of dipping are too numerous to mention. Two that I'm looking forward to leaving behind are the psychological dependency and the uneven energy it brings. Looking forward to some regular sleep patterns.

So, this day January 1, 2012, I pledge to the other folks on this site that I will do everything in my power to leave tobacco behind.

Looking forward to coming back often and hearing the success nstories of some incredibly strong folks. And obviously I hope to be one of those stories in the future.

All the best.

BigRed83 (the Big Red reference is to my alma mater).

Hello all:

First of all I want to thank the person/persons who created this site. The info contained here about the effects of nic and chemicals, etc. Big Tobacco has mixed in the soup of crap was a wake up call for me. I was aware of the info previously having gone through the quit process before. I'd also like to send a shout out to "Bluesman". His essay had a pretty profound impact, especially the part about how he attributed the dip to his success and productiivity as a lawyer. I dipped my way through college and law schoool and kept the habit. Gave the dip a status that was undeserved. I credited the stuff with helping me study, keeping me focused, blah, blah, blah. Now I know it has just the opposite effect. The myriad of health side effects of dipping are too numerous to mention. Two that I'm looking forward to leaving behind are the psychological dependency and the uneven energy it brings. Looking forward to some regular sleep patterns.

So, this day January 1, 2012, I pledge to the other folks on this site that I will do everything in my power to leave tobacco behind.

Looking forward to coming back often and hearing the success nstories of some incredibly strong folks. And obviously I hope to be one of those stories in the future.

All the best.

Welcome BigRed83!... Just so you know we have another BigRed, so you guys may get us all confused. Get on over to April HOF group, (That is when you will make 100 days quit) and post up. All the info is in that thread on how to post. Congratulations on the best decision you have made in a long time!

Hello all:

All the best.

Welcome BigRed83!... Just so you know we have another BigRed, so you guys may get us all confused. Get on over to April HOF group, (That is when you will make 100 days quit) and post up. All the info is in that thread on how to post. Congratulations on the best decision you have made in a long time!

Welcome to QSSN!

You are on the right track so far, this site and these Quitters are loaded with information, advice, accountabilty, and a little bit of bull shit too to keep it all interesting. Follow this link to the April 2012 Quit group. There you will find a whole troop of Quitters just like your self who are just now starting their Quits. These will be your Quit Brothers and sisters, people that you can get to know, lean on them when it gets tough, and give support of your own when they hit a hard spot. Together you can all find aFreedom that many of us did know for our entire adult lives, Take what this site has to offer, read and post read and post, there can never be too much information about how to kill this addiction.

Most impprtantly keep fighting and stay strong, it's not easy but it is worth it!

Congratulations on your timing, April HOF groups are the best ones to be in all year long. Just ask anyone in an April group... they will tell you the same!

i failed back in October, made it 10 days, then caved and got a can. December 23rd 2011 is my new day one and I am up to day 12, I am actually posting roll call on KTC and i decided to show my face here again. quit is going great!

i failed back in October, made it 10 days, then caved and got a can. December 23rd 2011 is my new day one and I am up to day 12, I am actually posting roll call on KTC and i decided to show my face here again. quit is going great!

Post in both places. Double the accountability!

Post in both places. Double the accountability!

i try to, but i am on KTC posting everyday for sure, if i think of it i come over here, Im 03silvy over there, if anyone see's me post roll over there and not here, yall can throw my name in over here

Edited by minimeh93

I love this site!!! I hope to soon be a PROUD member of it, rather than the current lurker wanna-be that I am. The stories here inspire me.

I've been chewing tobacco for over 20 years. I've been quitting for about half that time. My uncle, a smoker, used to say, "quitting is easy. I do it several times a year!" LOL. Yep, me too. Today was supposed to be my day 1. Obviously it isn't. The thought of it had me freaking out yesterday. I found and read this site for about 2 hours last night. Reading how everyone's timelines go, I knew it wouldn't work for me right now. I have events coming in the next week that I guarantee would destroy any hard work I did this week. So my quit day will come after MLK weekend.

In the meantime, I am looking very closely at the trouble times and trying to lessen them in preparation. One of my things, as I've read from many of you too, is that I stay up late after the family goes to bed and then I chew while watching TV, goofing on the computer, etc. So my goal right now is a simple one, get in the habit of an earlier bed time. Another problem area for me is work. Oh lord does a good chaw ever help me focus!!!! I have my own biz so I can kinda do my thing there. I lock up early, load up a chaw, and work late. It really is sick the things we do, isn't it? So I'll be spending the next week NOT working late!!! So far, I've done pretty dam good. Instead of getting home after dinner is over, I've gotten home in time to COOK dinner!! Yes!! I actually DO enjoy that!

So my delayed quit may be a copout, but I am hoping to lay some groundwork pre-quit to make the post-quit more successful. I have no belief that it will be easy, but I do hope that some change to my schedule will help a lot.

I would also like to bare a bit of my soul that isn't easy to do, being an idiot man and all. But when I was reading this site last night, I honest to God had tears rolling down my cheeks. Y'all are very inspirational. I actually AM excited to be a success at this. I do look forward to bitching daily about my withdrawals. I am sorry to not already be one of you, but I've gone through the failure of quitting too many times. I hope that my planning and timing will help my success - along with you guys.

I love this site!!! I hope to soon be a PROUD member of it, rather than the current lurker wanna-be that I am. The stories here inspire me.

I've been chewing tobacco for over 20 years. I've been quitting for about half that time. My uncle, a smoker, used to say, "quitting is easy. I do it several times a year!" LOL. Yep, me too. Today was supposed to be my day 1. Obviously it isn't. The thought of it had me freaking out yesterday. I found and read this site for about 2 hours last night. Reading how everyone's timelines go, I knew it wouldn't work for me right now. I have events coming in the next week that I guarantee would destroy any hard work I did this week. So my quit day will come after MLK weekend.

In the meantime, I am looking very closely at the trouble times and trying to lessen them in preparation. One of my things, as I've read from many of you too, is that I stay up late after the family goes to bed and then I chew while watching TV, goofing on the computer, etc. So my goal right now is a simple one, get in the habit of an earlier bed time. Another problem area for me is work. Oh lord does a good chaw ever help me focus!!!! I have my own biz so I can kinda do my thing there. I lock up early, load up a chaw, and work late. It really is sick the things we do, isn't it? So I'll be spending the next week NOT working late!!! So far, I've done pretty dam good. Instead of getting home after dinner is over, I've gotten home in time to COOK dinner!! Yes!! I actually DO enjoy that!

So my delayed quit may be a copout, but I am hoping to lay some groundwork pre-quit to make the post-quit more successful. I have no belief that it will be easy, but I do hope that some change to my schedule will help a lot.

I would also like to bare a bit of my soul that isn't easy to do, being an idiot man and all. But when I was reading this site last night, I honest to God had tears rolling down my cheeks. Y'all are very inspirational. I actually AM excited to be a success at this. I do look forward to bitching daily about my withdrawals. I am sorry to not already be one of you, but I've gone through the failure of quitting too many times. I hope that my planning and timing will help my success - along with you guys.

Welcome to QSSN, I appreciate the planning, just don't plan to long or else you will plan yourself right out of a quit.

Welcome to QSSN, I appreciate the planning, just don't plan to long or else you will plan yourself right out of a quit.

Chuck is absolutly correct. Making a plan, laying in supplies can go a long ways to helping curb the craves that will come, however at some point you must jump in with both feet. Don't put it off too long.... If your going to shoot, then shoot. Don't talk

Uglytuco, you just have to go ahead and do it. There will always be a situation, no matter how you set it up that will activate a crave. I have been quit for 154 days at this point, after 20+ years of chewing. Not a long time compared to lots of fellas on this site. But something always comes up. " I'm tired". "I'm bored". And any other reason you can dream up. You just have to hang on for an average of five minutes and the worst is past for that time. You can do anything for five minutes, can't you?

Chuck is absolutly correct. Making a plan, laying in supplies can go a long ways to helping curb the craves that will come, however at some point you must jump in with both feet. Don't put it off too long.... If your going to shoot, then shoot. Don't talk

There will always be "something" in our lives that "needs a dip" to deal with. If you are here, you want to quit. First, realize you are an addict. if you weren't, why would you put a foul tasting, foul smelling, cancerous substance in your lip for the majority of the day?

Look at the population... how many dippers are out there? They make up a small percentage of the whole population. They get by without a dip just fine. So saying that you need it to get through another day is just an excuse your addiction is feeding you. It isn't true. There is NO good time to quit, except RIGHT NOW. How many quit dates have you set before? It obviously hasn't worked so far... I'm not saying this to be mean, but every one of us that has quit has been where you are now... thinking about pulling the trigger and compiling excuse after excuse to keep on dipping.

What I learned is, that after 3-4 days, the physical part of the addiction is over. Yep, you are no longer physically addicted to nicotine after it's been out of your system for 3 full days. What does that mean? It means the rest of this fight is a MIND GAME. You will be playing mind games with your own brain from that point on.

What can you do to help yourself? Strike first. Your addiction is not going to lose gracefully. And it will never die. You have to fight this every day. Start today. Do something crazy, and on a whim. (Kinda like how most of us took our first dip). Spit it out, flush the contents of the can down the toilet and destroy it. You will remember that. It will be a big victory in your life, after 20 years of failures. You stack up enough victories, you will become used to them.

Tell me what you think of that...

• Like 1

Chuck - very nice reference! Good to see another fan of The GBU!!

Gentlemen, I hear and appreciate your thoughts. I kinda figured it was what I'd hear too. Here's the thing - every yr on MLK weekend, some fellas and myself head to the country to the cabin for a winter weekend. I drive 2 hrs there myself and back. Y'all know how it is to drive by yourself. Great time for a chaw. No, I don't chew on my way to work or to the store, but a long drive by myself - u betcha!!! And then there's the weekend with fellow fans of the West Virginia Coleslaw!!

So it isn't just some lame-ass excuse. I know, I've made plenty of them. I figure the temptation for that weekend will drive me insane and cave in. I don't wanna cave in again.

So I will put my mind at ease for a week, get a shitload of Jolly Ranchers handy, alter some of my lifestyle times where I chew the most, and get ready for the crush.

My last dip was December 31, 2011 at 9:30 p.m. Told myself and my family that was the last one. I started dipping 26 years ago at age 13 thinking I was the cool kid. Now if I could only have the amount of money I invested in smokeless tobacco well lets just say I'd be living a good life. I am living a great life now as I have a great family who are very supportive and understand what I'm going through. Amazingly though the first 5 days I was fine and had very little cravings and with very few signs of withdrawal, however the last couple days have been harder (much harder). I crave and I crave and I crave some more. I'm becoming very irritable and all the things I was using as substitutes are getting old and not working (Gum, Twizzlers, Raisins etc...). I am beginning to eat all the time and it seems I'm going in the wrong direction. All the research I was doing was telling me the hardest part would be the first 3 to 4 days and then the cravings would not come as often and when they did they wouldn't last as long. Any suggestions and has anyone else did better the first week than the second week that can give me some advice? Under no circumstances am I going to cave in, but would really like to see how many others have coasted the first week and then got hit by a train the 2nd week and what they did to help themselves out? Thanks in advance!

My last dip was December 31, 2011 at 9:30 p.m. Told myself and my family that was the last one. I started dipping 26 years ago at age 13 thinking I was the cool kid. Now if I could only have the amount of money I invested in smokeless tobacco well lets just say I'd be living a good life. I am living a great life now as I have a great family who are very supportive and understand what I'm going through. Amazingly though the first 5 days I was fine and had very little cravings and with very few signs of withdrawal, however the last couple days have been harder (much harder). I crave and I crave and I crave some more. I'm becoming very irritable and all the things I was using as substitutes are getting old and not working (Gum, Twizzlers, Raisins etc...). I am beginning to eat all the time and it seems I'm going in the wrong direction. All the research I was doing was telling me the hardest part would be the first 3 to 4 days and then the cravings would not come as often and when they did they wouldn't last as long. Any suggestions and has anyone else did better the first week than the second week that can give me some advice? Under no circumstances am I going to cave in, but would really like to see how many others have coasted the first week and then got hit by a train the 2nd week and what they did to help themselves out? Thanks in advance!

Welcome to QSSN and Congrats on making your first week Quit! Everybody's Quit differs in many ways. One thing most of us have in common is it is the hardest thing we have ever done. It is not unusual for folks to coast through the first week. Unfortunatly they get cocky thinking they are cured. They leave the sight and then cave when things get tough. The first 3-4 days are when the nicotine is slowly leaving the body. For some folks this can be a desparate time, much harder than for others. I believe it has to do more with your DNA or chemical make up, neither of which I can speak to at all. regardless of why it happens we know it does and being prepared for it can make or break a Quitter. Lots of water, change the daily routine, and maybe take some days off work to avoid getting in trouble during the fog. After that first week is when it gets interesting, physiclly you are cured, your body is free of the nicotine and will begin to heal itself of all the damage you have done to it for sooo long.

The mind games are another story however. Your addiction will become desparate, making you tired, weak, dumbfounded...Making offers to yourself that are ridiculous. The good news is that these mind games can be won. The nic-bitch whispers in your ear constantly, but she has a very short attention span. Change up your routine, exercise more, keep healthy snacks around. Change up the crave killers you use; herbal chew, gum, seeds, straws, cotten swabs soaked in mouthwash or tobascco, tea bags, coffee grounds. Drop and pump out 20 pushups, run around the block, grab your gal and go for some angry sex. Be creative, be proactive... If you lay around hoping the craves will go away, they won't. You can win this fight, but you HAVE to treat it like the fight of your life

Stay Strong

Stay Quit

• Like 1

Hey everyone,

I took my last chew on 1-8-2012 at 10:00 a.m. I had been chewing from 14 yrs old until now 32 yrs old, and I finally figured out that it is time to stop. It is reassuring to find this website and to find other people with the same addiction, and goal of overcoming the addiction. I've had a rough couple days thus far, but not quite as bad as I had thought it would be. I've been using fake snuff to help with the urges and it has helped, but boy does it taste like sh!t!

I look forward to checking in and getting help/advice when I need it!

Well guys I finally took the giant step and decided to stop chewing. I am 41 years old and have been doing it since my 20's. I came to this web site for help because I can't do it alone. I need all of your help each and every one of you. Pray for me as I try to overcome this addiction and move on. I will be checking in and posting so all of you can keep me focused and on the right path. Thank you

Well guys I finally took the giant step and decided to stop chewing. I am 41 years old and have been doing it since my 20's. I came to this web site for help because I can't do it alone. I need all of your help each and every one of you. Pray for me as I try to overcome this addiction and move on. I will be checking in and posting so all of you can keep me focused and on the right path. Thank you

It's day one and nice to have you all to suffer with. Just like the attorney with that very motivating story, I've been giving the Cope too much credit. Satisfying? Maybe.. So is clean living, baby.

BIgD, Mags, and Newnin Welcome to QSSN. Joining this site is the first step in regaining your freedom. Your success will depend apon your resolve and determination to stay focussed on the prize. It's not easy, in fact it may be the hardest thing you have ever done. Be prepared, have a plan how to beat down the craves when they come. Sometimes the same way does not work twice, you need to have a back up plan. No matter what else happens, No matter how bad the craves get you must stay strong. The craves will pass they always do and each time it will get a little easier.

Get started by jumping over to the Apr. 2012 Quit group in the PreHOF section. Posting up in here each day is your promise to yourself and to the other folks in this group that you will not dip any nicotine today. Getting to know these folks may save your Quit when times get tough. likewise you may be able to help one of them someday, with advice, an ear, or maybe an ass chewing if they need it. No matter what else happens they want to see you succeed. Your success is theirs and likewise for you.

Look around the site there are tons and tons of information about Quitting and staying Quit all over. Take what fits for you to beat down this addiction and maybe pass on the other info to other folks who mayneed it. Don't be afraid to ask questions, we have been trough what your feeling now and anything we can do to help you is our mission here.Check out the HOF Speeches, members articles, and blog sections too lots of great information there. Post your own feelings and concerns about your Quit, you'll find your not alone.

Stay Strong

Stay Quit

Edited by Wyoming4life
  • Like 1

Every day.....is..a.. New Day. We make a decision not to chew on a daily basis. If first you don't succeed, try...try..again.

Hey all, my name's Matt and I'm a 21 year old from NC. Got hooked on the can sometime in high school, and now it's time to give it up. Let's gogogogo!!!

Hey all, my name's Matt and I'm a 21 year old from NC. Got hooked on the can sometime in high school, and now it's time to give it up. Let's gogogogo!!!

Welcome to quitting. Stick close to the site the next few days. Read, post, read, post, rant, rave. Just keep quitting.

Evening all.

My name is Josh. I'm a 24 year old guy - been using Cope for the better part of 6 years. On and off. Some days more than others. Growing up riding horses, being in the outdoors; it just became a natural thing to do.

Now I'm different. I recently started Crossfit, again. I am beginning to eat hardcore Paleo/Primal. I need to quit. I want to quit. For ME! Game on!

Hey all, I'm Brandon. I'm 18 years old and am thinking about trying to quit... again. I've been doing Copenhagen long cut since I was about 14. I know I'm pretty young compared to most of you but it gives me hope to see guys who have quit after 20+ years and I'm glad I found this website. Its hard to find other High Schoolers willing to quit and the whole chewing thing is still a sore subject around my family so I'm glad to find supprt. I have a few concerns about problems I faced before and was woundering how you guys got through it:

I feel like it's a part of me and its what I'm known for. Its hard to explain but I'm sure you guys understand.

That feeling of something in my lip. Its just a comforting feeling.

Its just a feel good feeling to chew and I just doubt anything could take its place.

Please let me know how you guys got through it all, and any advice you may have. Also has anyone used the chew substitutes? (Hooch, Golden Eagle etc.?) Did they work and which one is best?

Thanks for the support.