Quit Smokeless Community
bigred83

The Cafe - 2012

Howdy fellas just started onto the site I stoped dipping around a month and a half ago I really thank you all for making this wonderful site it's great im not sure if this is where im supposed to post because im new to this thing just figured since it said introduce myself here i should do that first :-).

I'm 22 big into computer gaming and electronics and such I am really big on my family and friends(sorry ahead of time for any mispells), At any rate I quit when my mother got in seriously bad shape and started to have heart problems because I wanted to be in good health for her when she needed me I went strong for about 25 days or so, But recently iv been having some bad anxiety and just figured it couldn't hurt to jump on bord and find some support maybe to help me keep strong or find some advice maybe on how to cope with it it really is rough and man sometimes I get the extreme urge to go back to diping because it feels like I am about to loose it mentaly :-P so again great to meet you fellas/gals God bless you all and if anyone needs me to pray for em you just give me a hollar and I will be sure and talk to the big man up stairs and ask him to help you, Have a great day and a beautiful life.

-God Bless You All

-Savvy

I quit when my mother got in seriously bad shape and started to have heart problems because I wanted to be in good health for her when she needed me

Your wording there is important, IMO. You didn't quit for your mother -- you quit because you wanted to be able to help her. You have a much better chance of staying quit if you're doing it for yourself. That's not selfish, it's just reality. Because if you quit for someone else, the first time that person makes you mad or disappoints you, etc., well, you'll show them.

You mentioned turning to this sight for support. Scroll down a little and read the wisdom of someone who realizes that putting nicotine into your body won't solve any problems (but will create new ones). Dipping won't help your mother. It won't boost your income, it won't freshen your breath, it won't do a damn thing except get you hooked again.

The accountability available on this site got me over the hump after many failed quits. Use it. Live here, if that's what it takes. And above all, please, please believe me when I tell you that life without tobacco is far better than life as a practicing addict. Quitting is hard. And it's worth every bit of pain.

I quit when my mother got in seriously bad shape and started to have heart problems because I wanted to be in good health for her when she needed me

Your wording there is important, IMO. You didn't quit for your mother -- you quit because you wanted to be able to help her. You have a much better chance of staying quit if you're doing it for yourself. That's not selfish, it's just reality. Because if you quit for someone else, the first time that person makes you mad or disappoints you, etc., well, you'll show them.

You mentioned turning to this sight for support. Scroll down a little and read the wisdom of someone who realizes that putting nicotine into your body won't solve any problems (but will create new ones). Dipping won't help your mother. It won't boost your income, it won't freshen your breath, it won't do a damn thing except get you hooked again.

The accountability available on this site got me over the hump after many failed quits. Use it. Live here, if that's what it takes. And above all, please, please believe me when I tell you that life without tobacco is far better than life as a practicing addict. Quitting is hard. And it's worth every bit of pain.

Listen to SportsDad, he's on of the guys that helped me get through those first few rough weeks. I owe my life to him and those that came before me.

Quitting is a personal thing; There's not right or wrong way about it. Just keep doing it until it sticks.

Haven't seen a lot of posts from Sports Dad but I saw this one and I think it is an awesome post. (Hope we have more) I felt the same way that he is talking about when I realized the truth about nicotine. The truth will set you free. Please forgive me Sports Dad for copying your post, the underline is my emphasis

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:09 AM

One dip is too many, 1,000 is not enough.

The pain of change becomes tolerable when it is perceived as being less than the pain of remaining the same.

Congrats to all the new quitters here. Please get the facts about nicotine, embrace the truth (and the suck), and behave accordingly. Above all, please use this site -- the accountability here is what got me over the hump after 24 years of dipping. It will do the same for you, and it will be worth it, for sure.

One other thing that really helped me. For all those years, I thought I loved dipping, thought it was my friend, etc. Then I realized that it never was about enjoyment. It was about living in a perpetual state of withdrawal, and calming those symptoms by feeding the addiction over and over. Geez did that ever make me feel like a horse's ass.

• Like 2

Greetings fellas. It's early Sunday morning, the family is fast asleep, I'm online and it's the perfect time for a dip.

Not today, though.

Today, I will greet my lovely wife and handsome boys as they wake. I won't have to scramble to spit a dip out, or hide a spitter. I won't have to swish water through my teeth to hide my Copenhagen smile. I won't have to make a random trip out of the house to sneak a dip, or buy a fresh can. I won't have to spend 5 bucks in gas to drive to the store with the "buy 3 cans, save $2 special." I won't have to miss a minute of family time in exchange for a nicotine fix.

Today will be different. Today, I will not dip.

Today is Day 1 of my quit, and I find relief in the truth of that statement. I am weary of being a liar. I am beleaguered by the desire to hold onto this one thing in life in exchange for all else. With dip, I am still married and a father, brother, son and friend. But, I am not the truthful representation of those titles. The truth is, my wife thinks I quit, my boys don't know that I dip, my brother thinks I quit long ago, I'm pretty sure my Mom is still in denial, and very few of my friends dip snuff. I have isolated myself from those I love in exchange for the thing that I now truly hate. I'm not dipping today. Hell no. Glad to be here, and glad to get that off my chest.

I am almost 42 years old, and have dipped for nearly 30 years. I am tired of the lies, and that's the truth.

Edited by H82dip
  • Like 2

H82 Dip - You friekin' rock, man. That's a great post. I am right there with you. I quit 10 days ago after probably 25+ years dipping. I am 42 also, father of 2, happily married, good brother relationship. I am an addict and a liar. I am looking forward to these craves reducing and then noticing how much better my life is and how much better I feel about myself when I am not planning everything around the whore. I had a 430 am moment also...of complete clarity and fear resulting in the resolve to quit. I took a week long fishing trip with my bro and quit on the last day, ceremoniously dropping my last can of skoal wintergreen long cut into the fire. It's been 10 days since..and mostly it is getting easier right now. I know the road will be hard, but I also know I am going to make it through today and that will get me to Day11. Addiction sucks.

I joined the Kill the Can site a few days ago, but this one looks pretty good also. I'm going to do both for a few weeks until I figure out which is the best fit for me.

I am proud to quit with you and the rest of you out there. I'll be joining November quit group and posting roll shortly.

Right now, my wife just went to the grocery store and the kids are watching TV. I have a project to do in the garage. A trigger! Instead, I am writing this post and know I will not cave. It's really great to know there are others out there who get it.

Jonruns

quit date: 8/17/12

• Like 1

Greetings fellas. It's early Sunday morning, the family is fast asleep, I'm online and it's the perfect time for a dip.

Not today, though.

Today, I will greet my lovely wife and handsome boys as they wake. I won't have to scramble to spit a dip out, or hide a spitter. I won't have to swish water through my teeth to hide my Copenhagen smile. I won't have to make a random trip out of the house to sneak a dip, or buy a fresh can. I won't have to spend 5 bucks in gas to drive to the store with the "buy 3 cans, save $2 special." I won't have to miss a minute of family time in exchange for a nicotine fix.

Today is Day 1 of my quit, and I find relief in the truth of that statement. I am weary of being a liar. I am beleaguered by the desire to hold onto this one thing in life in exchange for all else. With dip, I am still married and a father, brother, son and friend. But, I am not the truthful representation of those titles. The truth is, my wife thinks I quit, my boys don't know that I dip, my brother thinks I quit long ago, I'm pretty sure my Mom is still in denial, and very few of my friends dip snuff. I have isolated myself from those I love in exchange for the thing that I now truly hate. I'm not dipping today. Hell no. Glad to be here, and glad to get that off my chest.

I am almost 42 years old, and have dipped for nearly 30 years. I am tired of the lies, and that's the truth.

Congrats! bravo.gif

This Friday will mark 6 years since I became nicotine-FREE. I won't kid you, it was perhaps the hardest thing I've ever done, but the payoff has been worth it - and the memory of that struggle is a reminder that I will always be just one dip away from becoming a slave again to the can.

One hour, one crave, one day at a time to Freedom!

Not today, though.

H8 - your description is so spot-on it’s scary. The freedom that you describe feels better in reality than it looks on paper. I am about to hit my one year anniversary date of no dipping. I am stunned to look back and realize how my life has changed for the better. The level of slavery that I subjected myself to was degrading and amazing at the same time. Now that I look back, I am shocked that I did not see things for the way they were. Being a slave to anything is obviously not good, but not even realizing that you are a slave is embarrassing. Granted, a year out provides some perspective since things can be seen a bit more clearly when cravings aren’t around every corner, but the chasm between then and now is vast.

• Like 1

I want to say this without sounding like I am whining, but I don't know if I can.

2012 has been chalked up as the worst year of my life. Lost an unborn child due to miscarriage. In the process of losing my wife and kids to divorce that I absolutely do not want.. Because of the income split, I will probably lose my house. I had open heart surgery last Tuesday.

Through all these times, I could have made an excuse to go back to dipping. Easy to do. And some folks in here may have given me a pass. But really, what good would a dip do? Will it bring back my child? Will it make my wife come back? Will it improve my cardio health? Will it make me feel better about any of this?

Not a chance. It will not make any of it better. It will not make me feel better. It will only add health problems. It will add to financial problems. It will also enslave me to a poison.

So think about this... Tough day at work? Fight with the significant other? Someone cut you off in traffic? Will a dip do something for you that it won't do for me?

Quit whining, post roll call, make the promise not to dip today, and friggin stick to it. It's just that simple.

If you think you can't do it, PM me and we'll talk about it.

Definitely an inspiration! Keeps the site going!

This time around, I truly feel that my life is changed without the dip. In my previous quits, it seemed I was focusing on keeping my life the same but changing one thing (not having dip). This time it just feels right. I'm working out more, and it feels great not to have to put a wad in my lip afterwards. When I get stressed out, I deal with it, rather than leaning on a crutch. I'm not lying to anyone else or myself.

Even major triggers like being in the car for a long time don't bother me anymore. Sure, I crave, but like I said before, I deal with it, and eventually I'm fine.

I just feel so much better to be off of the dip, and this time it feels different. My heart is really in it, and I truly do not want to go back to using tobacco again.

I'll share a story about the last can I bought. I was coming home from Rhode Island, maybe two or three days before this quit I am on right now. I walked into the gas station, and said to the cashier, "Grizzly Straight, please." She just stared at me and said, "I'm sorry, what? What did you want?" I repeated my order and she turned around and looked at the display. She looked around, found my selection, and put it on the counter. She said, "Everyone get's this stuff now. What's so great about it?"

I didn't answer her question. Not because I was trying to be a dick, or because I was frustrated that I had to repeat my order. I didn't answer the question because I simply couldn't. What is so great about chewing tobacco? It tastes like shit, it hurts your mouth, it makes you spit brown, it can cause cancer and kill you, it rots your teeth and it gives you (or me) heartburn. There was literally NOTHING good about dip that I could think of. I thought about the whole, "it helps me when I'm stressed out" notion, and I realized that that's not healthy. Why do I need this crap to help me when I'm stressed? I shouldn't need it. That's unhealthy.

So here I am now, day 49, and I dont miss the shit. I dont want it, I dont need it. Right now, I want to get my life back, and get back to being who I am, and I do that every day that I stay quit.

Thanks for reading.

• Like 1

This time around, I truly feel that my life is changed without the dip. In my previous quits, it seemed I was focusing on keeping my life the same but changing one thing (not having dip). This time it just feels right. I'm working out more, and it feels great not to have to put a wad in my lip afterwards. When I get stressed out, I deal with it, rather than leaning on a crutch. I'm not lying to anyone else or myself.

Even major triggers like being in the car for a long time don't bother me anymore. Sure, I crave, but like I said before, I deal with it, and eventually I'm fine.

I just feel so much better to be off of the dip, and this time it feels different. My heart is really in it, and I truly do not want to go back to using tobacco again.

I'll share a story about the last can I bought. I was coming home from Rhode Island, maybe two or three days before this quit I am on right now. I walked into the gas station, and said to the cashier, "Grizzly Straight, please." She just stared at me and said, "I'm sorry, what? What did you want?" I repeated my order and she turned around and looked at the display. She looked around, found my selection, and put it on the counter. She said, "Everyone get's this stuff now. What's so great about it?"

I didn't answer her question. Not because I was trying to be a dick, or because I was frustrated that I had to repeat my order. I didn't answer the question because I simply couldn't. What is so great about chewing tobacco? It tastes like shit, it hurts your mouth, it makes you spit brown, it can cause cancer and kill you, it rots your teeth and it gives you (or me) heartburn. There was literally NOTHING good about dip that I could think of. I thought about the whole, "it helps me when I'm stressed out" notion, and I realized that that's not healthy. Why do I need this crap to help me when I'm stressed? I shouldn't need it. That's unhealthy.

So here I am now, day 49, and I dont miss the shit. I dont want it, I dont need it. Right now, I want to get my life back, and get back to being who I am, and I do that every day that I stay quit.

Thanks for reading.

Great Post - thanks for sharing it!

bravo.gif

I don't recall many specific days, but for some reason I remember day 50 being a really nice one. I hope yours is every bit as good!

• Like 1

Kind of dead in here so far today.

Tell you what's on my mind: football season.

I love football but I am kind of dreading the season, which for me will serve as one giant trigger. Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and Thursday. Tailgate. Drinking. Buddies. Pigskin.

But I know I'll get to see alot more football in my life it I stay quit. Let me know if you are worried about the same thing or have any advice on dealing with football season dip-free.

Kind of dead in here so far today.

Tell you what's on my mind: football season.

I love football but I am kind of dreading the season, which for me will serve as one giant trigger. Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and Thursday. Tailgate. Drinking. Buddies. Pigskin.

But I know I'll get to see alot more football in my life it I stay quit. Let me know if you are worried about the same thing or have any advice on dealing with football season dip-free.

Tiggers are tough to deal with, either you avoid them all together or confront them head on. Avoiding them will save your Quit, but in the end give that trigger more power over you when you finally do meet up with it. However taking on your triggers too early in your Quit may lead to failure too. I would suggest avoiding them until you are secure in your Quit. Learn what will kill the craves, build some confidence, then when you do encounter an old trigger at least you have a fighting chance.

One of the worst things you may have to endure is peer pressure, your old buddies who still chew may try to drag you back down with them. being able to tell them to get stuffed may be harder than you think, but it may also be the deciding factor if you stay Quit or cave. Good luck Stay strong Stay Quit

• Like 1

I stumbled across this song after maybe 5 years today. Last time I listened to it was my senior year of high school; before I ever thought of quitting dip.

As some of you may or may not know, Adam Gontier, the lead singer for Three Days Grace, battled an addiction to OxyContin. He wrote the entire album entitled, "One-X" while he was in rehab.

This song is called "Gone Forever." Now that I too am an addict, this song takes on a whole new meaning, and I understand it so much more. Give it a listen, and enjoy. I'll be sharing this in many quit groups tomorrow.

• Like 1

I’m ending my 5th day of kicking the Bitch Nick out of my body…she’s really pissed off at me; the feeling is mutual. About 41 years ago, I allowed the Bitch Nicotine ,BN, (very closely related to BM… an article in today’s world just isn’t complete without a few acronyms…. Therefore I’ll introduce the Bitch Nicotine. I realize that the Nicotine Bitch would be more appropriate, but since we are all attempting to flush the Nicotine out of our systems, I felt that BN would be more appropriate).

I just noticed that as I’m typing this article, there is a green plastic bottle filled with sunflower seed hulls in front of me. Last week, that bottle would have been full of brown matter…. YEAH for me!!!!!! While I’m on the subject of spit bottles, cans, whatever…. How many times, have you been confused as to which can you are drinking out of, and which can you are spitting into? It’s a rather unwelcome surprise when you take a big swig out of a Coke can or a beer can and discover that it’s the “spitcan.” We’ve all been there; I just thought that I would mention it because I’ve laughed at myself several times when this occurred.

Damn…..I just had another attack of the nicotine bitch, and I told her to…. Well you know. These little attacks are especially prevalent after finishing a meal, or taking a break while bicycling. Formerly, I would ride for ten miles, and take a break which included placing a wedge of brown matter in my mouth before continuing my bicycle ride. Today, I didn’t take a break, and just kept on peddling.

Ok…. I’ll readily admit that the BN is a very strong force, and is still attempting to regain control of my body again. I’ll just continue to say NO!!! which I have to resort to many times. Also I have God, Jesus Christ, and my parents to help me. Last year, I moved my parents 540 miles to where I live, and they both died within the year. I figure that they are in Heaven and can help me with this nicotine bitch.

My Dad smoked cigars, and chewed tobacco until he was 65. He left this world at 91 years. I’m quitting chewing at age 62 (I never enjoyed the cigar smoking), and hopefully will live as long as he did. Right now, writing about this, I’m experiencing a huge crave to procure a dip of tobacco……..NO,NO, NO!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don’t know how many times I have told my body this in the last 5 days, but it works…. I’ll get a handful of sunflower seeds, or just wait for the craving to pass while I inform the BN that this is my body, and I’m in control so stay the hell out of my body. I totally realize that when I wake up in the morning, my first thought will most likely be, “I need a dip.” I will tell myself to forget it, and further more kiss my ass. In fact, I know that everyday for several weeks and possibly months, my first thoughts upon awakening will be about snuff. Well, too bad…. Piss on Snuff because you will never, ever, ever enter my mouth again!!!

Edited by pissonsnuff
  • Like 1

I’m ending my 5th day of kicking the Bitch Nick out of my body…she’s really pissed off at me; the feeling is mutual. About 41 years ago, I allowed the Bitch Nicotine ,BN, (very closely related to BM… an article in today’s world just isn’t complete without a few acronyms…. Therefore I’ll introduce the Bitch Nicotine. I realize that the Nicotine Bitch would be more appropriate, but since we are all attempting to flush the Nicotine out of our systems, I felt that BN would be more appropriate).

I just noticed that as I’m typing this article, there is a green plastic bottle filled with sunflower seed hulls in front of me. Last week, that bottle would have been full of brown matter…. YEAH for me!!!!!! While I’m on the subject of spit bottles, cans, whatever…. How many times, have you been confused as to which can you are drinking out of, and which can you are spitting into? It’s a rather unwelcome surprise when you take a big swig out of a Coke can or a beer can and discover that it’s the “spitcan.” We’ve all been there; I just thought that I would mention it because I’ve laughed at myself several times when this occurred.

Damn…..I just had another attack of the nicotine bitch, and I told her to…. Well you know. These little attacks are especially prevalent after finishing a meal, or taking a break while bicycling. Formerly, I would ride for ten miles, and take a break which included placing a wedge of brown matter in my mouth before continuing my bicycle ride. Today, I didn’t take a break, and just kept on peddling.

Ok…. I’ll readily admit that the BN is a very strong force, and is still attempting to regain control of my body again. I’ll just continue to say NO!!! which I have to resort to many times. Also I have God, Jesus Christ, and my parents to help me. Last year, I moved my parents 540 miles to where I live, and they both died within the year. I figure that they are in Heaven and can help me with this nicotine bitch.

My Dad smoked cigars, and chewed tobacco until he was 65. He left this world at 91 years. I’m quitting chewing at age 62 (I never enjoyed the cigar smoking), and hopefully will live as long as he did. Right now, writing about this, I’m experiencing a huge crave to procure a dip of tobacco……..NO,NO, NO!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don’t know how many times I have told my body this in the last 5 days, but it works…. I’ll get a handful of sunflower seeds, or just wait for the craving to pass while I inform the BN that this is my body, and I’m in control so stay the hell out of my body. I totally realize that when I wake up in the morning, my first thought will most likely be, “I need a dip.” I will tell myself to forget it, and further more kiss my ass. In fact, I know that everyday for several weeks and possibly months, my first thoughts upon awakening will be about snuff. Well, too bad…. Piss on Snuff because you will never, ever, ever enter my mouth again!!!

Congrats on your new journey back to freedom! bravo.gif

I'm only a couple of years younger than you but I quit at age 54 after being addicted to tobacco most of my adult life. Those triggers will slowly lose their power until they completely fade away. For me, this journey has been all about freedom. Yesterday, Labor Day, I spent about 7 hours in the car and an hour in a restaurant without a single craving. That, of course, did not happen overnight, but the struggle was entirely worth every bit of it! Life is so much better without being chained to dip. All the other benefits are mere icing on the cake for me.

Euty ~ day 2,197 nicotine-FREE

• Like 1

Congrats on your new journey back to freedom! bravo.gif

I'm only a couple of years younger than you but I quit at age 54 after being addicted to tobacco most of my adult life. Those triggers will slowly lose their power until they completely fade away. For me, this journey has been all about freedom. Yesterday, Labor Day, I spent about 7 hours in the car and an hour in a restaurant without a single craving. That, of course, did not happen overnight, but the struggle was entirely worth every bit of it! Life is so much better without being chained to dip. All the other benefits are mere icing on the cake for me.

Euty ~ day 2,197 nicotine-FREE

Thank you for your words of encouragement; they are very much appreciated. In relation to your 7 hour car ride, I have been enjoying various situations without tobacco. I find it humurous that when I think about packing for a trip, I automatically begin to figure out how much snuff I need to pack, and instantly laught at myself, because I don't need any nicotine. The urges still hit me, but they are less intense. Today while working on a project in my garage, I placed a pinch of sawdust in my favorite dipping spot, and that took care of my cravings for about an hour or so. I'll have to find an old can, fill it full of saw dust.... nawww...forget that.

We recently made a trip to Sweden to visit my son's family. I didn't pack enough snuff and ended up buying some there.... about 8 dollars per can, and it tasted awful.

Hey..... when I began dipping, I used Skoal, and it was 25 cents per can, that was about 1971, and before that I chewed Red Man, but I've forgotten the price of it... probably about 20 cents in 1970. I'll have to think about all of that and post it somewhere. Thank you again for your words of encouragement and tell, Doc, Kittie, Festus, and Chester "Howdy!" My dad used to cook a large pan of popcorn on Saturday Night, and we would go down into the basement and watch Gunsmoke in black and white of course. We could receive 3 channels, and nobody had ever heard of a remote control.

Hello all,

As you can see, I'm a new guy here.

After a tin a day for 6 years, I decided it's time to ditch the habit. I had been trying to cut back for the last few weeks with minimal success. After my dip at 9:00pm on Sept 4th, I lay there in bed and decided that was the last time I would ever put that stuff in my mouth. I’ve gotten rid of all the bottles and tins around the apartment. So far, the only bad urge to chew was the first time I skipped my morning dip that I’ve been doing religiously for 5+ years. Today, that urge didn’t happen, I actually decided to sleep in a little bit because I didn’t need the extra time before work to get the dip in. So far it’s been 38 hours without a nicotine resupply. I have not gone to the store to get seeds or mints yet but will probably do so after work today. I know it may be looked down upon but besides you guys I have not told a single person that I’ve given it up, not even my girlfriend. I did mention to her to forgive me if I’m crabby and to ask me how I’m doing.

I’m nervous about weight gain as a consequence of quitting but having to lose weight again is better than cancer. I'm down 23lbs since last November...I'm hoping I don't gain it back. Last night I kept busy and then went for a walk a little before bedtime, which I never do. I think as long as I’m not sitting around doing nothing, I will be able to keep myself from getting cravings to dip/eat.

Anyway, wanted to drop in and say hi. I see a lot of posters with less than 10 posts; hopefully I’ll be around longer than that!

Edited by Tackle

...I know it may be looked down upon but besides you guys I have not told a single person that I’ve given it up, not even my girlfriend. I did mention to her to forgive me if I’m crabby and to ask me how I’m doing...

You may get different answers, but I was a ninja dipper for over 30 years and I was a ninja quitter - except for this forum!

One piece of advice: Post a Lot on this site & Read a Lot on this site. I believe that your post count should greatly exceed your number of days quit for awhile.

Euty ~ day 2,199 nicotine-FREE

You may get different answers, but I was a ninja dipper for over 30 years and I was a ninja quitter - except for this forum!

One piece of advice: Post a Lot on this site & Read a Lot on this site. I believe that your post count should greatly exceed your number of days quit for awhile.

I will, thanks for advise!

Hello all,

As you can see, I'm a new guy here.

After a tin a day for 6 years, I decided it's time to ditch the habit. I had been trying to cut back for the last few weeks with minimal success. After my dip at 9:00pm on Sept 4th, I lay there in bed and decided that was the last time I would ever put that stuff in my mouth. I’ve gotten rid of all the bottles and tins around the apartment. So far, the only bad urge to chew was the first time I skipped my morning dip that I’ve been doing religiously for 5+ years. Today, that urge didn’t happen, I actually decided to sleep in a little bit because I didn’t need the extra time before work to get the dip in. So far it’s been 38 hours without a nicotine resupply. I have not gone to the store to get seeds or mints yet but will probably do so after work today. I know it may be looked down upon but besides you guys I have not told a single person that I’ve given it up, not even my girlfriend. I did mention to her to forgive me if I’m crabby and to ask me how I’m doing.

I’m nervous about weight gain as a consequence of quitting but having to lose weight again is better than cancer. I'm down 23lbs since last November...I'm hoping I don't gain it back. Last night I kept busy and then went for a walk a little before bedtime, which I never do. I think as long as I’m not sitting around doing nothing, I will be able to keep myself from getting cravings to dip/eat.

Anyway, wanted to drop in and say hi. I see a lot of posters with less than 10 posts; hopefully I’ll be around longer than that!

Very happy to hear that you have made the (extremely tough) decision to cast out the demon and declare your freedom from nicotine. CONGRATS!

As far as the weight gain goes, it can be tricky. I first began trying to quit in college, and it was really tough to keep the extra pounds off. Now that I have graduated and my daily routine has sort of leveled out, and I have been trying to partner my quit with a healthier diet and a more active lifestyle. Personally, I eat fruit whenever a crave comes along which is a nice healthy alternative to junk food. I also work out daily to keep the pounds off and to keep the stress levels down. Maybe something to think about.

As for your girlfriend, does she know that you chew? If she does, then it might be a good idea to tell her that you quit. 1.) Extra support never hurt anybody, 2.) She'll be proud of you (I've never met a woman who ever said, "Your dip is so sexy.") 3.) If your behavior changes a bit (i.e. going for walks when you normally don't/ being crabby) then she may think that something is up with you or your relationship. If she doesn't know, then maybe tell her that you were a dipper and you have made the decision to quit. While she wouldn't likely understand why you do it, you can explain to her that you want to be honest with her, and that you are trying to better your life. If she faults you for that, then I don't know what to tell you (I cant see how she would, however). Personally, I was a closet dipper, and only those who were very close to me and roommates knew that I chewed. My parents and my family don't know, and there is such a stigma attached to it that I prefer not to discuss it with them.

One word of advice I can give you is this: Look at my post count. Almost 1400 posts. Would you be able to guess without looking that I'm only on day 58 of my quit? I have been to the hall of fame 3 times. I have had a quit of 400+ days, one of 300+ days, and one of 200+ days and all 3 times the result was the same, I caved. Don't let my failures discourage you, but just let them serve as a reminder that no matter how long you stay quit, you are still, "One dip away from a can per day" (a common quote used by many quitters around the site).

Good luck with your quit! I know you can do it, and everyone here knows you can do it because we've all done it. It doesn't matter if you are posting day 1 or day 1,000,000 you take it one day at a time.

Use the site, grab some numbers, and keep yourself accountable.

Phil

Very happy to hear that you have made the (extremely tough) decision to cast out the demon and declare your freedom from nicotine. CONGRATS!

As for your girlfriend, does she know that you chew? If she does, then it might be a good idea to tell her that you quit. 1.) Extra support never hurt anybody, 2.) She'll be proud of you (I've never met a woman who ever said, "Your dip is so sexy.") 3.) If your behavior changes a bit (i.e. going for walks when you normally don't/ being crabby) then she may think that something is up with you or your relationship. If she doesn't know, then maybe tell her that you were a dipper and you have made the decision to quit. While she wouldn't likely understand why you do it, you can explain to her that you want to be honest with her, and that you are trying to better your life. If she faults you for that, then I don't know what to tell you (I cant see how she would, however). Personally, I was a closet dipper, and only those who were very close to me and roommates knew that I chewed. My parents and my family don't know, and there is such a stigma attached to it that I prefer not to discuss it with them.

One word of advice I can give you is this: Look at my post count. Almost 1400 posts. Would you be able to guess without looking that I'm only on day 58 of my quit? I have been to the hall of fame 3 times. I have had a quit of 400+ days, one of 300+ days, and one of 200+ days and all 3 times the result was the same, I caved. Don't let my failures discourage you, but just let them serve as a reminder that no matter how long you stay quit, you are still, "One dip away from a can per day" (a common quote used by many quitters around the site).

Hi Phil,

Yes, my girlfriend knows that I chew...as does everyone else I associate with (besides my boss). The GF's been trying to get me to quit for years but it's not her decision, so I feel she doesn't need to know yet. You're right, last night she told me I was acting weird...I just laughed. I will tell her this weekend when we are with a group of friends (who do not chew). I think they will be very supportive.

Best of luck to you on this go around! Can I ask what made you slip, some bit of information that I need to watch out for?

Edited by Tackle

Hi Phil,

Yes, my girlfriend knows that I chew...as does everyone else I associate with (besides my boss). The GF's been trying to get me to quit for years but it's not her decision, so I feel she doesn't need to know yet. You're right, last night she told me I was acting weird...I just laughed. I will tell her this weekend when we are with a group of friends (who do not chew). I think they will be very supportive.

Best of luck to you on this go around! Can I ask what made you slip, some bit of information that I need to watch out for?

As best I can remember, it was just a lack of accountability. Generally what would happen is I would stop posting on the site, the quit would no longer seem important, and eventually, I would drag myself back into it.

My first cave was just stupid. I was around 9 months quit and I told myself, "I quit for 9 months. I can have 1 dip and I'll be fine" and sure enough I fell back into the fill boar. That was just stupidity on my part.

The second and third caves were me not being accountable and sticking around the site for support. Living with a dipper slowly sucked me back in.

Last year, I was less than 100 days into a quit, and I just said "fuck it" and caved. It was stupid, but I guess my heart wasn't in it. I really had to go back and revisit why I wanted to quit in the first place. Unfortunately, "finding myself" and finding my motive to quit and rediscovering the fact that I had the balls to man up and take the addiction head on came at the expense of falling back into the can for about 7 months.

Time will tell if I've licked the addiction once and for all. For today, I'm kicking it's ass, and that's all that matters. Tomorrow is too far ahead, and yesterday may as well be prehistoric history. I quit for today, and I'll keep my promise. Tomorrow will be what tomorrow will be.

• Like 1

I'm NEW here and glad I found this site. I have been using this stuff for almost 30 years! It pains Me to think about the $$$' I have wasted, not to mention the time I have spent going back and forth to the corner store. I am a very HEAVY user. I can go thru 3 cans of Copenhagen a day. . I have set October 31, 2012 as My quit date. I have attempted to quit before and HOPE this is the beginning of the real thing.

Hi Phil,

As best I can remember, it was just a lack of accountability. Generally what would happen is I would stop posting on the site, the quit would no longer seem important, and eventually, I would drag myself back into it.

My first cave was just stupid. I was around 9 months quit and I told myself, "I quit for 9 months. I can have 1 dip and I'll be fine" and sure enough I fell back into the fill boar. That was just stupidity on my part.

The second and third caves were me not being accountable and sticking around the site for support. Living with a dipper slowly sucked me back in.

Last year, I was less than 100 days into a quit, and I just said "fuck it" and caved. It was stupid, but I guess my heart wasn't in it. I really had to go back and revisit why I wanted to quit in the first place. Unfortunately, "finding myself" and finding my motive to quit and rediscovering the fact that I had the balls to man up and take the addiction head on came at the expense of falling back into the can for about 7 months.

Time will tell if I've licked the addiction once and for all. For today, I'm kicking it's ass, and that's all that matters. Tomorrow is too far ahead, and yesterday may as well be prehistoric history. I quit for today, and I'll keep my promise. Tomorrow will be what tomorrow will be.

Here's my 2 cents: Your question is the right one, Tackle. Every long-term ex-dipper I know got there by taking suggestions on how to avoid slips. None of them will tell you they got there by manning up, growing a set of balls and kicking the addiction's ass. The thought of it is laughable. It has already kicked our asses across the world and back (Literally. I chewed for 30 years, from Pennsylvania to California to Texas, Europe and back). In my book, the ones who win are the ones who admit that. If we somehow get the idea that we are stronger than nicotine because we were lucky enough to avoid it for 100 days, 6 months or 5 years, we are likely to think we're strong enough to have another go at it some day. And if we pick up one dip, we lose again. The addiction is cunning, baffling, powerful and very patient.

I have 1390 days today, and I'm here to tell you that every time I fought with Copenhagen, it kicked my ass. If I lose that humility I will probably dip again. Today I choose not to fight it or try to prove I'm stronger than it. I know I'm not. The good news is that a day comes when you no longer want it. It's a better life. For now just trust us on that.

Keep coming back!