Quit Smokeless Community
bigred83

The Cafe - 2012

"If you think you can do a thing or can't do a thing, you're right."- Henry Ford.

Give yourself some fucking credit and have some faith in yourself. YOU are as strong as you think you are. YOU make the decision to quit. YOU make the decision to stay quit. YOU have control over your life.

The dip has NO RIGHT to decide what course your life will take. ONLY YOU have the right to do that. THE DIP will KILL YOU only if you LET IT. So the simple solution is: DON'T LET THE DIP KILL YOU. Don't give it the chance.

Quitting is SIMPLE but it is NOT EASY. Don't confuse the two. The method to quitting is SIMPLE: Don't use nicotine. Actually finding the strength, courage, will power and desire to quit is NOT EASY.

Just take a moment today and make a list of all the shit that can happen/ will happen to you if you continue to dip.

When you strip away all of the bullshit, it's a question of life and death. Dip will kill you if you continue to use it. If it doesn't, then you get to live the rest of your life as a slave to the nicotine. What kind of life is that to live?

Kill the addiction today. Grant yourself freedom to live your life as you please!

Clear heart, clear mind. Can't lose.

Another thought I had:

I remember during my initial quit, I told a friend of mine, who was/is a chewer, that I had quit. He asked why and I said that I was legitimately afraid to get cancer, and have my life ruined. He basically said something to the effect of, "Dude, you're a fucking pussy. You aren't going to get cancer. You are such a pussy for thinking that you're going to get cancer from dipping."

I thought about it. Am I really a pussy?

Let's take a look at it:

I was honest with myself and accepted the truth that dipping would kill me. I actively made an attempt to fight an addiction that was consuming an increasingly larger portion of my life. I am moving through the unknown and scary world of not knowing what will happen next.

If being honest with myself, trying to better myself, and taking a step into the unknown is being a pussy, then I guess I'm a pussy. I'd rather be a pussy than sit in my basement, stuffing cat turds into my lip and accepting that everything is hunky dory and turning a blind eye to the bigger issue.

"It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power." - Alan Cohen

• Like 1

Another thought I had:

I remember during my initial quit, I told a friend of mine, who was/is a chewer, that I had quit. He asked why and I said that I was legitimately afraid to get cancer, and have my life ruined. He basically said something to the effect of, "Dude, you're a fucking pussy. You aren't going to get cancer. You are such a pussy for thinking that you're going to get cancer from dipping."

Let's take a look at it:

I was honest with myself and accepted the truth that dipping would kill me. I actively made an attempt to fight an addiction that was consuming an increasingly larger portion of my life. I am moving through the unknown and scary world of not knowing what will happen next.

If being honest with myself, trying to better myself, and taking a step into the unknown is being a pussy, then I guess I'm a pussy. I'd rather be a pussy than sit in my basement, stuffing cat turds into my lip and accepting that everything is hunky dory and turning a blind eye to the bigger issue.

"It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power." - Alan Cohen

All excellent points Phil. Quitting takes strength and commitment while continuing to dip or chew is the easy way out. We were all like your friend not too long ago; knowing we needed to quit but afraid to try it. Good job and keep up the quit.

• Like 1

Failure is always an option. Hell, I see it as a necessary evil. If it wasn't for my failures in life, my successes likely wouldn't have happened. What's more, if succeeding your first time was customary, then you would never appreciate the struggle to attain your goals. I have failed in the past, and it has made me a better quitter now. I have "experience" with failure, which means that I have a greater understanding of success and what it takes to be successful in a quit.

For all of you new quitters, don't take this as a "get out of jail free card" for you to abandon your fledgling quit and go back to the can. That is absolutely NOT what I am trying to say. What I am trying to say is that we all make mistakes. Mistakes are what make us human and are what gets us to learn. If you fall off of your quit, dust yourself off and get back on the horse. Find out what went wrong and work to prevent it.

If you have become a "Serial Caver" then you need to take a long hard look at yourself and find out what is going wrong. Are you really learning, or are you just participating in the definition of insanity?*

*The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

Edited by Phil
  • Like 3

To anyone wanting to end their addiction, their slavery, to tobacco - try this website. This place is a brotherhood. Our bond is our determination to fight and defeat addiction. We quit as teams. Resolve your ass to post roll today. You are no longer going to waste your money on shit that will kill your ass. Half the battle is won when you write 1 next to your name. Give this place a try.

• Like 1

One less thing to fucking worry about.

So today, my car wouldn't start, and so I had to bum a ride from my father (yes, I still live with my parents. I hate it. I need to get out of their house, but I have no other options) in order to get to work this morning.

This is a big inconvenience for both of us. I have to show him how to get to my office, he has to go out of his way to drop me off. We had to leave an hour early to drop my little sister off at school, I didn't have time for breakfast. I didn't have time to put my lunch together, I didn't have time to go to the gym this morning, and on top of all that, I need to figure out how the fuck I am going to pay for whatever repairs there may be. Everything got thrown off.

Now, If this were Phil prior to July 11, 2012, there would be one more thing I would have to worry about: Where to fit in a dip. I certainly wouldn't dip in front of my father (he was so disappointed when he found out I had been dipping) and I do not have the solitude of my ride to/from work to do it.

The good news is that this is Phil POST July 11,2012. This is Phil AFTER I declared my freedom from chewing tobacco. I don't need to worry about that shit anymore. I don't need to worry about when to dip, where I can dip, how I can find time for a dip, and anything associated with it. All I have to do is worry about how I will stay quit today. Well, I woke up this morning, said, "I will not dip today" and posted my roll call, so I'm already well on my way. I've done it for 132 previous days, what's so different about today?

Be well, everyone!

• Like 1

One less thing to fucking worry about.

So today, my car wouldn't start, and so I had to bum a ride from my father (yes, I still live with my parents. I hate it. I need to get out of their house, but I have no other options) in order to get to work this morning.

This is a big inconvenience for both of us. I have to show him how to get to my office, he has to go out of his way to drop me off. We had to leave an hour early to drop my little sister off at school, I didn't have time for breakfast. I didn't have time to put my lunch together, I didn't have time to go to the gym this morning, and on top of all that, I need to figure out how the fuck I am going to pay for whatever repairs there may be. Everything got thrown off.

Now, If this were Phil prior to July 11, 2012, there would be one more thing I would have to worry about: Where to fit in a dip. I certainly wouldn't dip in front of my father (he was so disappointed when he found out I had been dipping) and I do not have the solitude of my ride to/from work to do it.

The good news is that this is Phil POST July 11,2012. This is Phil AFTER I declared my freedom from chewing tobacco. I don't need to worry about that shit anymore. I don't need to worry about when to dip, where I can dip, how I can find time for a dip, and anything associated with it. All I have to do is worry about how I will stay quit today. Well, I woke up this morning, said, "I will not dip today" and posted my roll call, so I'm already well on my way. I've done it for 132 previous days, what's so different about today?

Be well, everyone!

Wait til you come out of the closet

So.... As I sit here basking in 5 years of quit... I don't come to you this evening to brag... On the contrary, I come here to wish you well. I am swirling in a hot-tub full of quit, surrounded by friends who have also discovered the freedom that this site provides.

I wish you well. "Come on in, the water's warm!"

• Like 1

You don't have to be tough to quit the dip. You just have to be accountable. Allow others to lean on you and lean on others when shit goes bad. That's what this site is all about.

Not to try to be a moral Superman (I'm far from it, trust me), but this is one thing that I learned with my most recent quit: The more you help others, the easier it is to help yourself. You are fabricating your accountability in the support that you give. And it is infectious. When you help others, they see what you did for them, and they will be more willing to help the next group. And that person may be more likely to help another member of another group, and so on, and so forth.

So pay it forward. Go post support in the new groups. Send a PM to a new quitter, or an old quitter. Get some numbers and text your fellow quitters. Spread the quit and you will be fulfilled. Jump in with both feet and embrace the suck with everyone else. Don't suffer in silence like you did before you found the site. You know what happens when you chose to do that.... How long did you quit for when you didn't have this site to back you up?

• Like 1

Just another thing to keep in mind for quitters new and old.

Weight gain seems to go hand-in-hand with quitting. The best way to combat that is to make sure that you are active. However, it's tough to keep your energy levels up with the holiday season upon us.

Please enjoy these tips to staying active and hopefully they will help you not get too bulky ^_^

http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/26/health/healthy-energy/index.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fcnn_latest+%28RSS%3A+Most+Recent%29

Hello everyone! I am new to this site. I just quit yesterday, so I am on day 2. I have been hiding chewing from my wife for over a year. She thought I quit a year ago. I would hide my cans and spitters in places I knew she would never look. Had she found them, it would be a major fight. Its tough to do this without the support of your wife or girlfriend, so I am here.

My mom has been begging my wife and I for a grandbaby for quite some time. When we were ready we offered my mom a deal. "Quit smoking and we will give you a grandbaby". Well, our baby is due in April, and my mom has yet to make even an attempt at quitting. On thanksgiving, she asked what we all wanted for Christmas, I was the first to blurt out. "Quitting smoking will be the best gift you could give us". She refused and says the baby isnt due until April. The problem is that she smokes in the house and is not considerate about it. I told her that i will not bring a baby into that environment. I will stand firm on that. So we started arguing about it, then in hit me. "Who am I to be mad". I am just as guilty, except i am hiding it from everyone which could be worse. I went home and it made me sick that I had the nerve to come down on her.

So, i put my last dip in last night before bed. Today is my first full day with out my Skoal. I work in an office which makes it extremely hard when you are used to chewing all day long. I have been reading all of the articles on this site which are making me feel like i am doing the right thing. I threw out every can, spitter, etc. I thought by telling my story that it would also help too. Thanks for taking the time to read. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

• Like 1

Hello everyone! I am new to this site. I just quit yesterday, so I am on day 2. I have been hiding chewing from my wife for over a year. She thought I quit a year ago. I would hide my cans and spitters in places I knew she would never look. Had she found them, it would be a major fight. Its tough to do this without the support of your wife or girlfriend, so I am here.

My mom has been begging my wife and I for a grandbaby for quite some time. When we were ready we offered my mom a deal. "Quit smoking and we will give you a grandbaby". Well, our baby is due in April, and my mom has yet to make even an attempt at quitting. On thanksgiving, she asked what we all wanted for Christmas, I was the first to blurt out. "Quitting smoking will be the best gift you could give us". She refused and says the baby isnt due until April. The problem is that she smokes in the house and is not considerate about it. I told her that i will not bring a baby into that environment. I will stand firm on that. So we started arguing about it, then in hit me. "Who am I to be mad". I am just as guilty, except i am hiding it from everyone which could be worse. I went home and it made me sick that I had the nerve to come down on her.

So, i put my last dip in last night before bed. Today is my first full day with out my Skoal. I work in an office which makes it extremely hard when you are used to chewing all day long. I have been reading all of the articles on this site which are making me feel like i am doing the right thing. I threw out every can, spitter, etc. I thought by telling my story that it would also help too. Thanks for taking the time to read. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Welcome aboard the Freedom Train and congratulations on making a wise decision. It's not going to be easy, but it is doable one crave, one hour, one day at a time.

After 30 years of being a slave to dip, I am now at day 2,281 dip free.

Advice:

1) Read a lot on this site and post a lot. Your post count should always exceed your number of days quit.

2) Cut caffeine consumption in half. Nicotine cuts the effects of caffeine in half, so you'll be bouncing off the walls and think it's withdrawal. Withdrawal is tough enough without that on top of it.

3) Occupy your mouth. Things that have helped me include toothpicks, coffee stir sticks, beef jerky, peanuts, and even a piece of a cotton ball. For some reason, a piece of a cotton ball in my favorite dip spot satisfied quite a bit. Dip the cotton ball in Listerine for extra strong craves.

Welcome aboard the Freedom Train and congratulations on making a wise decision. It's not going to be easy, but it is doable one crave, one hour, one day at a time.

After 30 years of being a slave to dip, I am now at day 2,281 dip free.

Advice:

1) Read a lot on this site and post a lot. Your post count should always exceed your number of days quit.

2) Cut caffeine consumption in half. Nicotine cuts the effects of caffeine in half, so you'll be bouncing off the walls and think it's withdrawal. Withdrawal is tough enough without that on top of it.

3) Occupy your mouth. Things that have helped me include toothpicks, coffee stir sticks, beef jerky, peanuts, and even a piece of a cotton ball. For some reason, a piece of a cotton ball in my favorite dip spot satisfied quite a bit. Dip the cotton ball in Listerine for extra strong craves.

I might add 4) Help others quit to the list. When you help others, you are putting their accountability on your plate. By taking on their accountability, you make yourself accountable. It can be a lot to go through, but it really does help. Better to be very vocal on the site during your quit and share with others than to suffer in silence. Just my $0.02. Use them as you see fit (Maybe buy some penny candy to keep your mouth busy)

• Like 1

Thanks for all of the advice and support. Everyone here has been great so far. Today has been a little bit easier. My will has been tested, but i have not given in. A few things I have learned.... Everyone says to throw out every can empty or full, spitters etc. Do not keep any. That is the best advice there is. If I had access to it, i think i would have caved. I will admit, I did check around to see if I left any behind, and I didnt. I have also learned that WinterGreen Lifesavers are a great alternative. As someone that chewed wintergreen snuff I found that tucking one on those lifesavers in your lip gives you that burning sensation similar to snuff.

A question I have for everyone....... How do you feel about the smokey mountain (fake/herbal snuff). Is this good or does it lead you back to the real thing?

• Like 1

A question I have for everyone....... How do you feel about the smokey mountain (fake/herbal snuff). Is this good or does it lead you back to the real thing?

I never tried any, but quite a few successful quitters have. In my opinion, it is no different than any of the other things we've mentioned to occupy our mouths. It has no nicotine, so it is not addictive, and doesn't have the many cancer causing chemicals in dip.

Totally agree with Phil. Help others quit. It keeps you on the strait and narrow. There is no "Just one" ever!!! Remember that.

• Like 1

So.... As I sit here basking in 5 years of quit... I don't come to you this evening to brag... On the contrary, I come here to wish you well. I am swirling in a hot-tub full of quit, surrounded by friends who have also discovered the freedom that this site provides.

I wish you well. "Come on in, the water's warm!"

My man Truckerick is is warm water... it was cool before he got in... It's also a little bit yellow now. Don't let that scare you!

I thought I would share a little story from my day 3 today. I guess I could say it is a victory for myself. I work in an office with 6 guys, 4 of them chew and one smokes. One guy in particular is one that always worries about his health even though he doesn't do much to be healthy. For instance, he had a sore in his mouth a while back and panicked. He went to a doctor and found it was nothing. So, he decided to quit chewing. It lasted 2 days and he is back to 2 cans a day. So, I finally broke the news that I quit today. This guy actually begged me not to quit and maybe just chew pouches instead. Why is this? I guess he feels so guilty that he didn't quit even though he knows he needs to. I was also laughed at by another guy for quitting. I never realized how brutal people that chew can be. I hope I never discouraged someone from quitting. I will not give in.

I thought I would share a little story from my day 3 today. I guess I could say it is a victory for myself. I work in an office with 6 guys, 4 of them chew and one smokes. One guy in particular is one that always worries about his health even though he doesn't do much to be healthy. For instance, he had a sore in his mouth a while back and panicked. He went to a doctor and found it was nothing. So, he decided to quit chewing. It lasted 2 days and he is back to 2 cans a day. So, I finally broke the news that I quit today. This guy actually begged me not to quit and maybe just chew pouches instead. Why is this? I guess he feels so guilty that he didn't quit even though he knows he needs to. I was also laughed at by another guy for quitting. I never realized how brutal people that chew can be. I hope I never discouraged someone from quitting. I will not give in.

I experienced the same sort of mockery when I quit. I quess they were jealous. Their taunts showed them for what they are and only strengthened my resolve to remain firm.

• Like 1

Had the same thing early in one of my quits. People would call me a faggot, a queer, a pussy, etc. for quitting.

And when they laugh at you and call you names and tell you not to quit, they are trying to cover up their own deficiencies. I know, it sounds like hippy shit "People who make fun of you only make fun of you because they envy you" or whatever your mother told you when you were younger, but it really is true. They KNOW that they are not strong enough to quit, and they feel threatened by somebody who is able to do what they cannot do.

Ever been to the gym, and you see that guy who can lift all the really heavy weights, or runs super fast for super long on the treadmill? Yep, I'm sure you have. Ever want to work out right next to that guy? HELL NO you don't! Why is that? Because you don't want to be compared to that guy. These other guys that you work with don't want to see you better your self because comparatively, it makes them look like a lesser person. At least that's how I read it...

• Like 2

This is my 4th day of being smokeless free after 13 years of on off addiction. I am 37 and the days of being feeling young and nothing can hurt me to more like things you did when you were younger will catch up to you are here. Won't bore you with my story bc the route we have taken to this point is very varied but the reason we are here and what we want to accomplish are the same.

I am Andy and I am free and want to continue. I am glad to meet you. I would like to ask if anyone can help me find real live-n-person group meetings set up by national or regional organisations like AA or NA does. I live in the Charlotte NC area.

This is my 4th day of being smokeless free after 13 years of on off addiction. I am 37 and the days of being feeling young and nothing can hurt me to more like things you did when you were younger will catch up to you are here. Won't bore you with my story bc the route we have taken to this point is very varied but the reason we are here and what we want to accomplish are the same.

I am Andy and I am free and want to continue. I am glad to meet you. I would like to ask if anyone can help me find real live-n-person group meetings set up by national or regional organisations like AA or NA does. I live in the Charlotte NC area.

I have never heard of tobacco cessation meetings like AA or anything like that, but that is part of the reason why this community was created. Let's face it, tobacco chewers are a sort of "underground" group. We never had the distinction that smokers or alcoholics have. Think about the last non-dipper that you informed that you were quitting chewing tobacco. Their first reaction, 9 times out of 10, is to look at you puzzlingly. We are a different breed of people who seek freedom.

And that's what is so important about this site. We create the support network because all of us are the same. It's rare to find this sort of concentration of former chewers because, as I said before, we are so different.

What I would encourage you to do is get some numbers from people in your group and get to know them. Call/text them a lot early in your quit. It's almost like the buddy system.

Another thought I had:

Let's take a look at it:

Proud to join you in being a pussy too! Hey you all...being a pussy is cool!

Finally had it. Finally came face to face with what the future of my addiction would have been. It happened this morning on my way to work.

Just as a bit of a back story, here in the North East, dipping was never really a big thing. Sure, everyone friggin smokes, but I never met somebody who dipped until I got to high school.

Anyway, I had always seen pictures online of what it looks like to have half of your face removed because of dipping and all of that fun stuff. In the beginning, it scared the shit out of me, but I became desensitized to it, and it stopped freaking me out a long time ago.

Then finally, on my way to work this morning, it happened. I was taking a right-hand turn in my car and stopped short to let the pedestrian in the crosswalk continue crossing the street (he was walking towards me). He was a lanky, gaunt-looking old man with a cane. And for whatever reason, we made eye contact. Staring into the man's face, I noticed something unusual about it. I have never seen a person whose face so abruptly juts inward at the lower jaw. Then, I realized it. This man had, at some point, had part of his lower jaw removed. It was as if I was looking at a premonition of what my life would be like had I continued with my addiction.

And I sat there, eyes locked with this man as he crossed the street. His eyes were cold and sad. It was as if he was telling me, "don't make the same mistakes I made. Get out while you still have your youth."

I have been struggling with my quit recently, and this was what I needed to get back on track. Everything happens for a reason, and I like to think that this was God's way of pointing his finger to show me the right path through the unknown.

• Like 4

Finally had it. Finally came face to face with what the future of my addiction would have been. It happened this morning on my way to work.

Just as a bit of a back story, here in the North East, dipping was never really a big thing. Sure, everyone friggin smokes, but I never met somebody who dipped until I got to high school.

Anyway, I had always seen pictures online of what it looks like to have half of your face removed because of dipping and all of that fun stuff. In the beginning, it scared the shit out of me, but I became desensitized to it, and it stopped freaking me out a long time ago.

Then finally, on my way to work this morning, it happened. I was taking a right-hand turn in my car and stopped short to let the pedestrian in the crosswalk continue crossing the street (he was walking towards me). He was a lanky, gaunt-looking old man with a cane. And for whatever reason, we made eye contact. Staring into the man's face, I noticed something unusual about it. I have never seen a person whose face so abruptly juts inward at the lower jaw. Then, I realized it. This man had, at some point, had part of his lower jaw removed. It was as if I was looking at a premonition of what my life would be like had I continued with my addiction.

And I sat there, eyes locked with this man as he crossed the street. His eyes were cold and sad. It was as if he was telling me, "don't make the same mistakes I made. Get out while you still have your youth."

I have been struggling with my quit recently, and this was what I needed to get back on track. Everything happens for a reason, and I like to think that this was God's way of pointing his finger to show me the right path through the unknown.

Awesome . . . chilling and inspiring. Thanks for sharing this.

• Like 2