Quit Smokeless Community
Ohioman1972

The Cafe - 2013

Dealing with demons of my own right now. Can't seem to find that happiness that was all too effortless for me in the past. Things that I used to enjoy are just a nuisance now. I feel like I'm shutting my brain in and shutting everyone else out.

Pissed off, depressed, upset, angry, timid, anxious, scared, nervous, moody, shaky, flakey, tired, wired... all day, all night, every day, every night. Just can't seem to figure it out. This is probably the funk, maybe it's the weather, maybe it's the fact that it starts getting dark at 3:30. I don't know. But what I do know is that I am not myself at this time in my life.

Pretty much all that I have to hang my hat on is my quit. Sometimes I feel like it's the only thing that I truly own. It's all that I have to be proud of. It's the only thing that gets me out of bed every morning. It's sad, but you know what, it's true and I guess I just have to live with it until I can find something that makes me happy.

Don't go thinking I'm going to cave. I've done that too many times to know that it can't/won't save me from my own misery. However, we all need to rant every once in a while and I guess today is the day I chose to do it. For those of you who don't like it when people bitch on here, I'm sorry for being a bitch. Sometimes a man has to bitch a little bit to keep himself sane...

Phil

Dealing with demons of my own right now. Can't seem to find that happiness that was all too effortless for me in the past. Things that I used to enjoy are just a nuisance now. I feel like I'm shutting my brain in and shutting everyone else out.

Pissed off, depressed, upset, angry, timid, anxious, scared, nervous, moody, shaky, flakey, tired, wired... all day, all night, every day, every night. Just can't seem to figure it out. This is probably the funk, maybe it's the weather, maybe it's the fact that it starts getting dark at 3:30. I don't know. But what I do know is that I am not myself at this time in my life.

Pretty much all that I have to hang my hat on is my quit. Sometimes I feel like it's the only thing that I truly own. It's all that I have to be proud of. It's the only thing that gets me out of bed every morning. It's sad, but you know what, it's true and I guess I just have to live with it until I can find something that makes me happy.

Don't go thinking I'm going to cave. I've done that too many times to know that it can't/won't save me from my own misery. However, we all need to rant every once in a while and I guess today is the day I chose to do it. For those of you who don't like it when people bitch on here, I'm sorry for being a bitch. Sometimes a man has to bitch a little bit to keep himself sane...

Phil

You know, it sucks. Plain and simple.

For 28 years I fed my demon, knowing that any day, she would require of me my life; my family; my future.

You know what it takes to stay clean and free my friend and I commend you for that. Keep the faith; stay strong and never forget what you are fighting for.

Flav/Dave

Hi guys, my name is Joe. I have attempted to quit this ridiculous habit twice now, and I am pushing for a third time at the moment.

I started dip about 12 years ago (30 now) and I did actually manage some good quits in those times (if you can say a relapse is good). First one was during college, just dropped it one day and went for about a month. Of course, finals came around and the urge crept in. Really wish I stopped then and there, but...well, lessons have to be learned with this beast sometimes.

That was about 10 years ago. I migrated to snus about 4 years ago, and it is leagues harder for me to kick the habit, as I can pretty much have one in at all times without spitting. My routine is usually a can of General snus about every 1.5-2 days.

The last quit attempt was about 8 months ago, and lasted a few weeks...I was kicking it with chewing gum, and i was buying that like gold. It really really destroyed my taste buds at that point, and I couldn't taste food at all. It was working but It was not letting up. I was chewing gum as much as the first day, 24/7. It was something I did not want to do.

So yesterday i tried to quit again, and i was eating like crazy today. I try to watch what i eat but I just did not give a shit about what it was today. Likewise, I don't seem to digest things properly without nicotine it seems, as my body seems to go into anxiety mode and holds stuff in.

I got to thinking, I want to quit, but I think i might want to go about this gradually this time. Every quit before has not been planned in advance. I caved in tonight and actually bought grizzly wintergreen dip. I find this tastes incredibly bad compared to the snus (which was like candy to me in comparison)....so my routine for the next week will be to get ease off during the day, and use this bad tasting stuff once during the night. My worst cravings are at work, and I think I will have to at least get my digestive tract in order to help that along. I am also going to go into full exercise mode in the next week to help push the cravings out. I think exercise will be a fully better alternative than this.

So, my official quit date will be next friday, the 11th. I am goin to supplement exercise after work for my cravings, and should at least counteract the inevitable increase in food intake.

hi , i'm new here so pls be patient. i'm trying to quit. on day 2 now. ok started chewing about 30 yrs ago tried a few times to quit this nasty habit but to no avail i gaved in. tried cold turkey, nicotine gum,losenges which did not work so trying patches now. wife is also trying to quit smoking. she using chantix and seems to work but i cant get any cause the v.a. say the dont carry any. but i will still try.

I've quit once before as well. Think I'm going to make this one stick. Gonna get that new guitar and every time I get a crave -

hi , i'm new here so pls be patient. i'm trying to quit. on day 2 now. ok started chewing about 30 yrs ago tried a few times to quit this nasty habit but to no avail i gaved in. tried cold turkey, nicotine gum,losenges which did not work so trying patches now. wife is also trying to quit smoking. she using chantix and seems to work but i cant get any cause the v.a. say the dont carry any. but i will still try.

I'm on Day 3. It seems to get better. Today I keep getting the "craves" from outta nowhere. Tic Tacs and Green Tea.

Hi guys, my name is Joe. I have attempted to quit this ridiculous habit twice now, and I am pushing for a third time at the moment.

I started dip about 12 years ago (30 now) and I did actually manage some good quits in those times (if you can say a relapse is good). First one was during college, just dropped it one day and went for about a month. Of course, finals came around and the urge crept in. Really wish I stopped then and there, but...well, lessons have to be learned with this beast sometimes.

That was about 10 years ago. I migrated to snus about 4 years ago, and it is leagues harder for me to kick the habit, as I can pretty much have one in at all times without spitting. My routine is usually a can of General snus about every 1.5-2 days.

The last quit attempt was about 8 months ago, and lasted a few weeks...I was kicking it with chewing gum, and i was buying that like gold. It really really destroyed my taste buds at that point, and I couldn't taste food at all. It was working but It was not letting up. I was chewing gum as much as the first day, 24/7. It was something I did not want to do.

So yesterday i tried to quit again, and i was eating like crazy today. I try to watch what i eat but I just did not give a shit about what it was today. Likewise, I don't seem to digest things properly without nicotine it seems, as my body seems to go into anxiety mode and holds stuff in.

I got to thinking, I want to quit, but I think i might want to go about this gradually this time. Every quit before has not been planned in advance. I caved in tonight and actually bought grizzly wintergreen dip. I find this tastes incredibly bad compared to the snus (which was like candy to me in comparison)....so my routine for the next week will be to get ease off during the day, and use this bad tasting stuff once during the night. My worst cravings are at work, and I think I will have to at least get my digestive tract in order to help that along. I am also going to go into full exercise mode in the next week to help push the cravings out. I think exercise will be a fully better alternative than this.

So, my official quit date will be next friday, the 11th. I am goin to supplement exercise after work for my cravings, and should at least counteract the inevitable increase in food intake.

Welcome Joe. Looking forward to you joining the group. You will be in the April 2013 group. There is alot of great quitters there!

Welcome Mac! Come on over to the April 2013 quit group. There you can post roll and there is alot of good quitters over there to help you along.

hi , i'm new here so pls be patient. i'm trying to quit. on day 2 now. ok started chewing about 30 yrs ago tried a few times to quit this nasty habit but to no avail i gaved in. tried cold turkey, nicotine gum,losenges which did not work so trying patches now. wife is also trying to quit smoking. she using chantix and seems to work but i cant get any cause the v.a. say the dont carry any. but i will still try

Mac - I was told that the nicotine replacement therapys don't work with people trying to quit snuff. The reason is that we take in way more nicotine that those who smoked. Embrace the suck man. I'm on Day 3. It get's better. You're going to have to reach down and grab both of those quavous but if you go to the VA it ain't the frst time you've found yourself in the suck.

Thanks Ox. My routine to get off my day habit is working slowly. The urge is still there to put something in my mouth, and I feel crazy when i get home, but then I start running and the urge just melts away for a couple hours. So I can manage a full day without the necessity, but around 9-10 pm trying to relax, I kinda cave in. I did feel like not doin it tonight but it just creeps in on me to get something in my mouth while relaxing from the hard push in running. I decided to run a 10k by summer and i am on a plan, but I will have to figure out what to do on the off days (4 a week). I tried just walking but that doesn't give me the proper rest in between for my legs, so I will look for upper body core routines on the off days.

Been looking at the cotton ball mouth wash thing, might look into that tomorrow and possibly go early on my quit and post role call. We will see. Feels good to actually plan this now. For anyone that is wondering, a hard pushing exercise routine is probably the way to go with this...never before have a found another option that keeps my mind off of it for at least three hours.

Thanks Ox. My routine to get off my day habit is working slowly. The urge is still there to put something in my mouth, and I feel crazy when i get home, but then I start running and the urge just melts away for a couple hours. So I can manage a full day without the necessity, but around 9-10 pm trying to relax, I kinda cave in. I did feel like not doin it tonight but it just creeps in on me to get something in my mouth while relaxing from the hard push in running. I decided to run a 10k by summer and i am on a plan, but I will have to figure out what to do on the off days (4 a week). I tried just walking but that doesn't give me the proper rest in between for my legs, so I will look for upper body core routines on the off days.

Been looking at the cotton ball mouth wash thing, might look into that tomorrow and possibly go early on my quit and post role call. We will see. Feels good to actually plan this now. For anyone that is wondering, a hard pushing exercise routine is probably the way to go with this...never before have a found another option that keeps my mind off of it for at least three hours.

here's one that worked for me for the oral part - by a can of altoids mints (round metal can, sound familiar?) then keep it filled with your favorite sugar free hard candy and carry it where you used to carry that "other" can...

Rodeo Timer

• Like 1

Hello to all the quitters! I am a recent quitter and working hard on my QUIT (day 8). Skoal user for many years, with a switch to mail-ordered Swedish snus (pouches) a few years back. Started on a road trip in 1991 with a friend from NC to Colorado as I headed back to the Air Force Academy after summer break.

Tried quitting a few times years ago with no success. In previous quit attempts, I never enlisted the support of my wife, my co-workers, or all of you out in forum land. This time I have told most everyone and also endured a tapering off period during the entire month of December (from 14 uses daily incrementally down to 1 last hurrah on New Years Eve). I'm hoping all of this effort and support will lead me to success.

I retire from the military later this year and want to show up to job interviews without any secrets and with whiter teeth. I also want to give my kids a father they can truly look up to and my beautiful wife a husband she can kiss any time of day.

My hat is off to those who have managed a long-term quit and I hope to join your ranks. To those working on a new quit, hang in there. I know how you feel as I too suffer those cravings, that nervous energy, and chewing gum so hard it hurts. I'm doing my best to keep focused on the prize, a final quit, where no longer think about how nice it would be to have just one more upper slam.

I've chewed for 29 years, mostly Skoal or Kodiak. I've quit temporarily (up to 3 months), but always seemed to give in to my triggers- king/steelhead fishing, hunting, etc. The hardest part about staying off chew, is disassociating my favorite hobbies with chewing.It's hard for me to imagine fishing kings 30 hrs straight in AK without having several chews during that time. This has been the trap I've got myself into many times before. I always think "I'm on vacation fishing and deserve a chew. I'll be able to quit again when I get back home". It never works out that way!

I'd like to say I'm smarter now and have been able to watch many of my close friends kick the habit. The day I decided to quit chewing (1/5/2013), I was out hunting with a friend. He forgot his cigarettes and we had to stop hunting, drive many miles to a gas station to buy smokes, and then back to the hunting spot. What a crazy waste of time!!! I would have done the same if I was out of chew. I thought about how my life was being controlled by my chewing addiction & dumped my can out in the woods.

I'm sick and tired of worrying if I have enough chew to make it through a day, event, or vacation. I'm tired of driving to the gas station at night to make sure I have chew for the next morning. I'm sick of spending money on a product that will likely kill me at some point.

Edited by 47FISH
  • Like 3

Welcome quitting at 41 and 47 fish, spend some time cruising around the site and find your home in April HOF, that is when you will reach 100 days. Post up and join us quitting!

• Like 2

Hey everyone im new to the site and to quitting. been chewing grizz pouches a tin every day and a half for 2 years and I figure its only going to get harder to quit later if i keep doing it. Been dip free for a day and it sucks. Its hard to imagine Im having such a hard time quitting after only 2 years especially after reading about some of the guys on here quitting after 20 or 30. Ive got nothing but respect for you vets and im glad theres a site like this where people going through the same thing can support others. Good luck to everyone and im looking forward to being on this site alot more

• Like 3

My advice is to quit right now. During nomal life. Not on a "special" date, not because the wife is bitching at you. Now. Normal everyday life hides those triggers for chewing. You have to defeat those one day at a time. You can do anything for five minutes. Thats how long a crave is generally. Just dont dip for the next five and you will be ok. Dont worry about the five minutes or the even the next day. Just these five minutes.

• Like 3

My advice is to quit right now. During nomal life. Not on a "special" date, not because the wife is bitching at you. Now. Normal everyday life hides those triggers for chewing. You have to defeat those one day at a time. You can do anything for five minutes. Thats how long a crave is generally. Just dont dip for the next five and you will be ok. Dont worry about the five minutes or the even the next day. Just these five minutes.

Couldn't agree more. Even if you quit at a less stressful time, or on a special day...you are going to have to make it through stressful, rough days without dipping to stay quit. Might as well head into the fire early and often to prepare yourself for those sort of days.

Been telling myself I want to kick the habbit for quite some time now. After nearly 6 years of rings in my back pocket family and friends ragging on me about it and everything else that accompanies smokeless tobacco I feel like I'm ready. I've tried several times in the last year and haven't seemed to last longer than a week. I started using after losing my brother and have used it as an excuse ever since. I guess it's time to put on the big kid pants and stop making excuses. Have asked friends for their support and help but with the busy lifestyles we all lead at the end of the day it's up to me. I am glad I was able to find a site like this so I know I'm not alone with this struggle.

Been telling myself I want to kick the habbit for quite some time now. After nearly 6 years of rings in my back pocket family and friends ragging on me about it and everything else that accompanies smokeless tobacco I feel like I'm ready. I've tried several times in the last year and haven't seemed to last longer than a week. I started using after losing my brother and have used it as an excuse ever since. I guess it's time to put on the big kid pants and stop making excuses. Have asked friends for their support and help but with the busy lifestyles we all lead at the end of the day it's up to me. I am glad I was able to find a site like this so I know I'm not alone with this struggle.

Edited by Oscar

You have to want to do this. You have to own the quit and it has to be truly yours. Find your group, post up, and get to know those around you that are going through their quits. What amazes me is how similar we all are in this endeavor. We are all climbing out of the same hole. Edited by Oscar

I'm right there with ya mate. About 8 years for me, but on and off since I was like 10 years old ( a true, cut-from-the-mold hillbilly, I am). I am literally, today, on Day 1. It's been easy so far -- but that's because I slept late and watched the Innauguration. The true test will be when my wife goes to the grocery store in about two hours. It's one of my "must-dip" times. I'm eager to see how I handle it. Maybe I'll have some ice cream. ^_^

SOMEBODY BET ME I CAN'T DO IT! I need some motivation.

Back on the dark road. Lip is full now. Had 4 years off and stress got the best of me. This site helped me last time and coming back again to quit this aweful additiction.

Back on the dark road. Lip is full now. Had 4 years off and stress got the best of me. This site helped me last time and coming back again to quit this aweful additiction.

I know how easy it is to fall off of the wagon. No stressful event happened, I simply forgot I'm an addict. You've taken a big step just by signing in here. Strength to you!