Quit Smokeless Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ohioman1972

The Cafe - 2013

I was always told that since I've only been chewing for 2 years it wouldn't be hard at all. But clearly these people who said that haven't gone through quitting lol. I've been trying for several months now where I would quit for a day or two then start thinking about dip so much that I just go get another tin. I bought a new tin of General snus (my favorite kind of dip) today before work and after 3 dips 6 hours into my shift I threw the rest out because I just have had enough. Tins are 15.50 each in Canada and after doing the math I realized I've spent more than 2 grand the past 2 years on something which will eventually kill me. It gets me angry how it controls me to the point where I cant go to work without dip, cant drive without it, cant use the bathroom without a lip in, and cant even do housework wthout it in. But I literally was on this page for an hour with a lip in just 2 hours ago and that's when i decided to throw all my chew out. I'm feeling very serious about quitting right now, more serious than i've ever been, and I hope it's easy.

I'm gonna start posting on this page fairly often because of the huge number of people who have said this website helped them quit. Hopefully it does the same for me.

August 31, 2013, literally 2 hours ago, my journey to quit chew has begun.

MLS,

Tried sending you my phone number. Guess your PM box is full. Wanted to let you know that it sounds like I have gone down similar paths that you are currently on. Always available to chat with you if you need. Always good to vent to someone who has been down that road before. It makes it a bit easier. It was difficult to talk to my parents about some things, because they have never experienced it, much like quitting has been. We lift each other up here, because we can understand what each other is going through. I see that some of my life has been down similar journeys as well. And sometimes its just easier to relate to those who understand. Send me a PM if you need a number. And I am sorry you are going down the road you are going through. I've been there, and I do remember feeling very much the same way you seem to feel right now. It sucks, but I'm living proof that happiness will return.

Penguin is sending you a smile to brighten your day honey... :smile:

My favorite line from the movie The Crow. "It can't rain all the time..."

I've been dipping for about a year now which isn't nearly as long as a lot of people on this site. However, after one year of dipping i currently go through at least 4 tins a week. I've realized it doesn't take long to become addicted to dip and quitting is impossible going just cold turkey. I've tried quitting cold turkey at least 10 times in the last few months and haven't made it more than 2 days without a dip. I love dip. I love the taste. The texture. The nicotine. Everything about it. After reading some of the stories on this site I know that i will quit someday and there is no time like the present.

My mother is my biggest reason for quitting. She is a dental hygienist that cleans my teeth along with the teeth of tobacco users daily. She has told me that she sends on average 2 people per week to get biopsies done on their mouths. Deciding to dip was probably the worst thing I could have ever done in my mothers eyes and it kills me to see how worried she is for me because she sees the effects of dipping first hand . My mother along with all of our mothers have done so much for us and that is my reason for quitting.

The hardest part for me is that all of my friends around me chew as much or more than i do. I have no people supporting me to quit dipping in my daily life so i came here.

I've been dipping for about a year now which isn't nearly as long as a lot of people on this site. However, after one year of dipping i currently go through at least 4 tins a week. I've realized it doesn't take long to become addicted to dip and quitting is impossible going just cold turkey. I've tried quitting cold turkey at least 10 times in the last few months and haven't made it more than 2 days without a dip. I love dip. I love the taste. The texture. The nicotine. Everything about it. After reading some of the stories on this site I know that i will quit someday and there is no time like the present.

My mother is my biggest reason for quitting. She is a dental hygienist that cleans my teeth along with the teeth of tobacco users daily. She has told me that she sends on average 2 people per week to get biopsies done on their mouths. Deciding to dip was probably the worst thing I could have ever done in my mothers eyes and it kills me to see how worried she is for me because she sees the effects of dipping first hand . My mother along with all of our mothers have done so much for us and that is my reason for quitting.

The hardest part for me is that all of my friends around me chew as much or more than i do. I have no people supporting me to quit dipping in my daily life so i came here.

Welcome aboard!

You need to quit for YOU. Without fail, when we quit for anyone else, we will use that person as a reason to cave in. And an FYI: MOST of the people on this forum quit cold-turkey, many after decades of dipping 1 to 2 cans a day.

This site works best when you post roll every day and get involved with discussions. And read, Read, READ! Your number of posts should always exceed your number of days quit.

Euty ~ day 2562 (just over 7 years) nicotine-FREE

Just popping in to see what's up. Medically speaking it has been a bit rough for me for the past few years and it looks like it is going to be so for the long run. I am not sure that I can make it that long but at least I am not dipping. I still miss it but my medical conditions have made life more difficult so I don't have time to miss it much. I was reading MLS and I hear what she is saying. Life can suck. The more people I meet the more I like my dog and I am halfway through my life (best case) and it seems to get worse as I go. The way I am going dipping is the least of my worrries but at least I am quit. Good luck quitters.

Sweet Tony

Day - 1,082

• Like 2

hi Everyone. I signed up here as I want to quit. I originally stated that I would start tomorrow to quit, but reading the quitting tips, I should give myself a week to 'wean down'. This stuff is insidious! It started with one big weekend a year and I could stop cold turkey. Now it has gotten up to 2 tins a week, and I have been chewing on the sly at work (I am a professional office worker, so for me as a lady to have that bump in the lip has gone largely unnoticed by staff as they have no idea what smokeless t is...but sooner or later I will be found out. I admit it has been a crutch of sorts. I bite off more than I can chew in a workweek and it gives me the 'umph' to keep going. But I want to live! I have been chewing 2 tins a week for approx. the past 2 years. So I am glad to have found this site. I do have a question. I am going to go to the doc week after next to discuss. Did anyone try the patch or the other prescriptions to help with this?

I am open to any advice anyone can give me here. Thank you. Im going to make this happen!

Welcome Sparky! You will find a ton of advice on this site. If it can be done in some form or fashion, someone here has done it, Me? I went cold turkey. I felt that I was just prolonging the inevitable suck by weaning. You just have to make the decision to quit, period. No more dip, no more nicotine. Some will argue that this is just a quit smokeless tobacco site. That's crap, it's not the tobacco we are addicted to, it's the poisonous nicotine. So break the chains. Quit. Join in with the December group and embrace the suck. Your quit is yours.

Welcome Sparky! You will find a ton of advice on this site. If it can be done in some form or fashion, someone here has done it, Me? I went cold turkey. I felt that I was just prolonging the inevitable suck by weaning. You just have to make the decision to quit, period. No more dip, no more nicotine. Some will argue that this is just a quit smokeless tobacco site. That's crap, it's not the tobacco we are addicted to, it's the poisonous nicotine. So break the chains. Quit. Join in with the December group and embrace the suck. Your quit is yours.

I agree with Tiger Refuge on this. I am by no means a pro at quitting, however, I have tried the nicotine gum, lozenges, and patches in the past. All they did was continue to put nicotine in the body and feed the addiction. The sooner you get the poison out of the body, the sooner you will start feeling better. Join our group for December, we need as many people as we can get.

Just popping in to see what's up. Medically speaking it has been a bit rough for me for the past few years and it looks like it is going to be so for the long run. I am not sure that I can make it that long but at least I am not dipping. I still miss it but my medical conditions have made life more difficult so I don't have time to miss it much. I was reading MLS and I hear what she is saying. Life can suck. The more people I meet the more I like my dog and I am halfway through my life (best case) and it seems to get worse as I go. The way I am going dipping is the least of my worrries but at least I am quit. Good luck quitters.

Sweet Tony

Day - 1,082

You are still generating inspiration and I am thankful for your strength.

Oscar - 700

• Like 1

Hi,

I finally decided I was done. Done lying to myself, done giving false since of hope to others around me...wasting money I don't have. Done turning my wife away from me for a simple kiss. Just plain done.

On my way into the office this morning I bought two new cans of Copenhagen...wasted money. They went down the toilet.

I have no idea whats next...I guess I'll learn in the hours ahead.

Thanks,

rj

Hi,

I finally decided I was done. Done lying to myself, done giving false since of hope to others around me...wasting money I don't have. Done turning my wife away from me for a simple kiss. Just plain done.

On my way into the office this morning I bought two new cans of Copenhagen...wasted money. They went down the toilet.

Thanks,

rj

What's ahead is real simple. When an urge hits, just take a few breaths, close your eyes and count to 90. it will pass. Get some cotton balls and lightly soak in mouth wash. Next urge, pop one of those in. Take a few breaths and repeat " I'm not doing that anymore"...it will pass. You will easily fight off one crave at a time, no more, no less. By tonight when you lay your head down to sleep, smile and be proud of what you just accomplished, you have won your first day!

Wake up, brush your teeth and be ready to win one minute at a time. Post roll in your December Quit group, Secure phone numbers, read, read, read. Nothing you will experience has not already been experienced victoriously. You are not alone in this fight, you will find many here to support you.

By having taken the first step, we welcome you to earning back your life fellow nicotine addict.

• Like 1

Hi,

Thanks,

rj

What's ahead is real simple. When an urge hits, just take a few breaths, close your eyes and count to 90. it will pass. Get some cotton balls and lightly soak in mouth wash. Next urge, pop one of those in. Take a few breaths and repeat " I'm not doing that anymore"...it will pass. You will easily fight off one crave at a time, no more, no less. By tonight when you lay your head down to sleep, smile and be proud of what you just accomplished, you have won your first day!

Wake up, brush your teeth and be ready to win one minute at a time. Post roll in your December Quit group, Secure phone numbers, read, read, read. Nothing you will experience has not already been experienced victoriously. You are not alone in this fight, you will find many here to support you.

By having taken the first step, we welcome you to earning back your life fellow nicotine addict.

Thank you

I'm new. I've dipped since 1989, sometimes lots, sometimes very little. I quit 2 years ago after a scare session with a dentist...they found nothing, but b/c i'd indicated I used smokeless tobacco, they raised every warning flag they could. Brought out lots of terrible photos, etc, and in the end i just realized I was too old to be doing this. I started in college, now I'm married with a little kid, a house, job, etc - i shouldn't be hiding cans of dip and bottles like a teenager.

So, I quit. And 6 months later I quit my job...but started my own business. Bad news - lots of stress, too much time on my hands, and working out of my house. Nobody to hide from. One day I bought a can of Kodiak out of frustration with other things, and fast forward a year and I'm doing two cans a week.

I "stopped" two days ago. I already had some mint snuff on hand. I made a dentist appointment, which i'd been neglecting b/c I was afraid to go through that mess again. Working at home is terrible for this. There' are no external pressures at all.

I say I "stopped" b/c I've been sneaking 1-2 per day. THe mint stuff just sucks. It's like a mouth full of dirt and leaves floating around. I definitely can't use this stuff with anyone around!

I hope this gets easier!

I'm new. I've dipped since 1989, sometimes lots, sometimes very little. I quit 2 years ago after a scare session with a dentist...they found nothing, but b/c i'd indicated I used smokeless tobacco, they raised every warning flag they could. Brought out lots of terrible photos, etc, and in the end i just realized I was too old to be doing this. I started in college, now I'm married with a little kid, a house, job, etc - i shouldn't be hiding cans of dip and bottles like a teenager.

So, I quit. And 6 months later I quit my job...but started my own business. Bad news - lots of stress, too much time on my hands, and working out of my house. Nobody to hide from. One day I bought a can of Kodiak out of frustration with other things, and fast forward a year and I'm doing two cans a week.

I "stopped" two days ago. I already had some mint snuff on hand. I made a dentist appointment, which i'd been neglecting b/c I was afraid to go through that mess again. Working at home is terrible for this. There' are no external pressures at all.

I say I "stopped" b/c I've been sneaking 1-2 per day. THe mint stuff just sucks. It's like a mouth full of dirt and leaves floating around. I definitely can't use this stuff with anyone around!

I hope this gets easier!

Holy crap bro, you are us! Welcome and know from our experience that it gets easier. Stayed plugged in, one day at a time, toss the can, and post roll starting tomorrow. No time like the present. You have found the "Quit Factory".

2+ Days and no Kodiak has entered my mouth....... A bit about me. !'m 44 and started dipping at 16. Yup that's 28 years of this stuff. Can't say that I ever really gave it a 100% try to quit. Oh I've said I'll quit when this happens, or the start of the year, next month, after that trip, etc. Always a way to push it out. I wasn't even really fooling myself. I just really enjoyed it. I've worked out of a home office and when not there I'm on the road travelling to appointments. Its just too easy to do as I pass the time. I've read through many of the posts around here and just had to laugh as we all seem to have a similar story. Makes me feel better for sure.

Now with all this said, and I am 100% committed to this, I believe I have two issues. One is the need for the nic fix. No doubt. Second is the act/feeling of having that crap in my lip. I would go through about a can a day. Big dips. about 7 a day. So I'm not sure if I'm breaking any rules for this site as I'm not going cold turkey. I'd probably have to take a week off of work to even think about that. I am using the Nicorette Lozenge as prescribed on the box. I'll leave it at that. Surprisingly this seems to work much better than I thought. I haven't gone 3 days without putting crap in my mouth since I was a teenager. To me that is a pretty big deal. 28 freaking years....

I still get the urge to put that Smokey Mountain snuff in but I'm actually feeling guilty of even thinking about it. Haven't touched that either. I want to but I figure that will be too much like the real thing. At least with these lozenges I'm breaking the feeling of tobacco in my mouth. If I can get through the want of the pack then hopefully half my battle is over. I actually don't want as much of the lozenge as the directions state. Hopefully that is a good sign. I don't know.

I know that I have a seriously long road ahead. The next 2 hour car ride is going to be an issue. The next hotel stay is going to suck..... etc. Well that's enough for tonight. Working on day 4 without a long time companion. Its funny/sad really. I've been remembering many events and milestones throughout the years and that bear has always been right next to me.

Thanks for listening......

A special thank you to Penguin for letting me realize there's a method to my madness and a healing process in my writing. Sept 26th would have been my 21st yr wedding anniversary. Now it's just a date. A day that I need to get through and it's fastly approaching. (sigh)

Seasons May Change

Summer ...
Love stretches out and captivates us;
bringing with it warmth, happiness and strength.
Warmth from our love,
happiness from our heart
and strength from our newfound relationship.

- Seasons Change -

Fall ...
Love searches for a reason;
bringing with it anxiety, longing and mistrust.
Anxiety from alienating my friends,
longing from missing what we had
and mistrust from the love that we once felt.

- Seasons Change -

Winter ...
Love breaks away from what was;
bringing with it heartache, lies and anger.
Heartache from our breakup,
lies from which you have told
and anger from what you perceived yourself
and our love to be.

- Seasons Change -

Spring ...
Love that was lost is renewed by old friendships;
bringing with it comfort, happiness and life.
Comfort from knowing that I am not alone,
happiness from letting myself enjoy what I have
and life from knowing I have friends I can lend on ..

.. even though seasons may change.

Nicole Lynch

Let me know what your colleagues think, Pen!

Time to rest my head and let my mind wander. Stay quit!

-mylilsecret

Edited by mylilsecret
  • Like 3

I am new to this site, and I stopped dipping 3 days ago. I have been dipping fo the last 26 yrs, so this is a big step for me. I tried to quit on my last deployment, but that didn't go so well for me. This time I am determined to stick with it. Looking forward to getting more motivation from this site and others going through the same crazy road I am on now.

Edited by JKAE
  • Like 1

I am new to this site, and I stopped dipping 3 days ago. I have been dipping fo the last 26 yrs, so this is a big step for me. I tried to quit on my last deployment, but that didn't go so well for me. This time I am determined to stick with it. Looking forward to getting more motivation from this site and others going through the same crazy road I am on now.

Welcome JKAE! Quitting is one of the toughest and most rewarding things I have ever done. It is a daily battle which always begins with my promise to myself and my quit brothers on here that I will not dip.

It sucks bad t the start, you know that. Use this site, read read read and lean on your quit brothers. Get some numbers so you can reach out to fellow quitters when you get in a bind. Welcome to the suck brother and thank you for your service.

• Like 1

I started dipping when I was in college ten years ago. It started as a study aid, and I played college baseball, so it was the perfect storm. I believe that so much of my life has been shaped by dipping. I'm not so sure I would be in the career I am in if it weren't for dip. I am a traveling salesman. I drive all over the southeast and stay out in hotels. Dip has helped me work longer, drive later at night, and deal with the loneliness of the road. I tried to quit last week but a stressful situation was my excuse for caving. I am serious about quitting because of my 6 month old daughter. I love her so much. I want to be there for her and not be a slave to an addiction while she is growing up. Trouble is, I am in deep. My job, my hobbies (golf, softball, outdoors, drinking with friends) and my friends all promote dipping. I quit the softball team. I have cut back on golf to save money for childcare expenses. I want to quit drinking for a few months to avoid those intense alcohol induced cravings you get. What I really need is advise on how to get through a workday, particularly the hours of 12-noon to 8pm. These are the hours where I am in the car, under a great deal of stress, and most likely to dip. I bought a bag of starburst, I have some sunflower seeds, and I am thinking of buying a 24 pack of water. I think what I need most is a support site! If anyone has any other quit tips for me, please share!

I started dipping when I was in college ten years ago. It started as a study aid, and I played college baseball, so it was the perfect storm. I believe that so much of my life has been shaped by dipping. I'm not so sure I would be in the career I am in if it weren't for dip. I am a traveling salesman. I drive all over the southeast and stay out in hotels. Dip has helped me work longer, drive later at night, and deal with the loneliness of the road. I tried to quit last week but a stressful situation was my excuse for caving. I am serious about quitting because of my 6 month old daughter. I love her so much. I want to be there for her and not be a slave to an addiction while she is growing up. Trouble is, I am in deep. My job, my hobbies (golf, softball, outdoors, drinking with friends) and my friends all promote dipping. I quit the softball team. I have cut back on golf to save money for childcare expenses. I want to quit drinking for a few months to avoid those intense alcohol induced cravings you get. What I really need is advise on how to get through a workday, particularly the hours of 12-noon to 8pm. These are the hours where I am in the car, under a great deal of stress, and most likely to dip. I bought a bag of starburst, I have some sunflower seeds, and I am thinking of buying a 24 pack of water. I think what I need most is a support site! If anyone has any other quit tips for me, please share!

Welcome Pantherfan. I'll be honest, if there was a secret to quitting, someone way before me would be a gozillionaire. That said, quitting is happening around here everyday. The biggest thing is fighting the next crave. That's all you need to worry about...the next crave. If you try to look past that, you will fail. I will say, I used everything that I could to quit. Fake snuff, seeds, gum, candy, etc. Just nothing with nicotine in it. There is a TON if info and experiences on this site. You need to sit and read. If you are REALLY serious about quitting, then you will be reading all the time, absorbing the information like a sponge.

So, are you serious about quitting? Or are you going to let dip control you and disappear...

• Like 2

The closest thing to a secret I can share is to make a firm commitment to yourself that you will do whatever it takes to stay free of dip for one crave, one hour, one day at a time. Then repeat each morning. One morning you realize that you've gone a whole day without a single crave.

Euty ~ Day 2,581 nicotine-FREE!

• Like 1

Tiger refuge, thanks for the support. I'm "in it to win it" this time. My last dip was Saturday night. It is now Monday night and I'm hanging in there. I had a full can of cope hidden away and went ahead and flushed it. The starburst, sunflower seeds and water were a huge help. I'm excited and ready for the suck. I have a big road trip starting tomorrow. I'll be gone two nights and will have to drive over 700 miles. If I can fight through the next couple of days, it will be a huge milestone. I just have to remember that a few minutes into that first dip after you cave, you realize that all that craving was really over nothing and you feel weaker than ever.

Tiger refuge, thanks for the support. I'm "in it to win it" this time. My last dip was Saturday night. It is now Monday night and I'm hanging in there. I had a full can of cope hidden away and went ahead and flushed it. The starburst, sunflower seeds and water were a huge help. I'm excited and ready for the suck. I have a big road trip starting tomorrow. I'll be gone two nights and will have to drive over 700 miles. If I can fight through the next couple of days, it will be a huge milestone. I just have to remember that a few minutes into that first dip after you cave, you realize that all that craving was really over nothing and you feel weaker than ever.

All you are doing when you dip is feeding a constant cycle of craves. Nicotine is a bitch and so are all of the delivery mediums. Look, do whatever it takes to fight that next crave. I am in a vehicle all the damn time and that was always a go to dip time. Believe it or not, after a few days, I enjoyed being in my truck cause I knew I could beat nicotine's ass. Tons of gum (I changed flavors and brands constantly to keep it "fresh") fake dip(some don't like it, but it helped my addicted ass break those initial bonds) and seeds(probably enough to plant a size able dove field).

You really should post roll with the December 2013 Hall of Fame group. There are a bunch of great quitters in there and it is your way of being accountable to yourself and your quit brothers. If you want a phone number to text or call, shoot me a PM and I'll help ya out. Stay strong man and great job so far...weekends are always prime cave time.

Edited by Tiger Refuge