Quit Smokeless Community
Sign in to follow this  
bigmac44mag

Finally, my Hall of Fame Speech – after 7+ years of being quit.

I’m a male, 51 years old, a husband, a father, a college graduate, a professional engineer…and I’m hopelessly and forever addicted to
nicotine, even after 7+ years of being quit. I haven’t had any cravings in the past 5 years, but I know that just one dip would put me back into

the habit of daily use. Just one.

I found this web site on the evening of December 27th, 2006. That was the day after I began trying to quit a 32-year nicotine habit. I hadn’t
had a dip 2 days, was in severe nicotine withdrawal, and was searching the internet for any help I could find. I had failed at several quit

attempts over the years, but this time was different. I was really and truly serious. I had reached the point where I would rather die than

continue on the road to oral cancer.

I started chewing tobacco when I was 13 years old. Soon thereafter I began using Skoal, and a few years later I migrated to Copenhagen.
I was a can-per-day dipper for most of my 32-year addiction. Rarely was I without a dip. I tried to quit every couple of years or so, but I

never made it stick more than a few days. Nicotine always won in the end.

But on December 25th, 2006, I decided to try another quit. At 10:00PM, “The Godfather” came on TV, and I took what I hoped would be my

last dip. I awoke at 2:00AM, with some of the tobacco still in my mouth (and probably quite a bit in my stomach). I got up, spit out the dip,

went to bed, and promised myself I would never ingest nicotine again.

The first 3 days were very hard. I was in the middle of a 3-week vacation from work, so I could just concentrate solely on my quit. But still,

it was a real battle. I couldn’t sleep much. I exercised, cleaned house, walked through the woods; anything to try and get away from the

withdrawal pain. Nothing worked. Many people say that intense weight lifting workouts really help, but I never could get into weight lifting.

When I found this web site, I read that the drug Wellbutrin helps reduce nicotine cravings. So I went to my doctor, got some generic Wellbutrin

(called Bupropion), and it immediately helped reduce my cravings. It really did help me. But some quitters try it and experience no benefits.
I’m just so thankful it helped me.

It was about 9 months before I felt “mostly normal” again. By my first quit anniversary, I was feeling “95% normal” again. But I still had

occasional cravings until near my 2nd quit anniversary.

Don’t get scared reading these quit stories. Yes, it’s hell to begin a new quit attempt. I know it, and you know it. But you can get to the point

where you have no thoughts of, or cravings for, tobacco. I never even think about tobacco any more except when I see a dip someone has

spit out on the ground. And even then I don’t have any desire to have a dip myself. LIFE CAN BE PERFECTLY NORMAL AFTER YOU QUIT.

But it takes time. A few weeks for some; a few months for others. Everybody is different.

Chances are that you’re here reading my quit story (and others) because you’re trying to quit yourself, but are having troubles with cravings.

And you’re here looking for some inspiration to continue your quit. Well, let me try and give you some.

Do you remember when you took your first chew/dip/smoke? How many times over the years of your addiction have you wished you could

go back in time and slap that stupid kid and try to talk sense to him about tobacco? Well, if you fail in your current quit attempt, you’ll become

that stupid kid all over again. You’ve caved enough times in your life. Now it’s time to really and truly quit. Here’s your (maybe last) chance

to make right what that kid did wrong. And you can. Good luck and don’t cave.

• Like 22