Quit Smokeless Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ohioman1972

The Cafe - 2015

Thanks for the response Tiger Refuge. I was up late last night reading on this site. How does one plug in to a quit group as describe on this site? I assume you quit first?

Yeah, you need to quit first to become part of a quit group. Once you do (like, if you decided to quit today...hint hint) you will go to the "Pre Hall of Fame" thread. Then, you would go to the January 2016 group. Your group will be labelled by the month that you will hit the Hall of Fame (100 days quit).

This site is completely dependent on the quitters within and is driven by our activity. In other words, jump in head first. Participate in your group. BE ACTIVE. You have now seen what can't be unseen. You know we are here. You know you want to quit. Let the quitsimilation begin.

I quit today. My reason is that it's gross and I hate it. What do I do here?

Welcome to one of the best decisions of your life, chewsucks. You got roll call done, so good job. Now, stick to your promise to not dip today, then wake up and post roll tomorrow. Rinse, repeat. You make the promise to stay quit, we offer support. Read as much as you can. If you have a smart phone, learn how to post roll from it. Read. Get some phone numbers from other quitters(hint hint). Use all of the tools available to you here. Most importantly...don't dip.

• Like 1

IT WILL HURT.

IT WILL TAKE TIME.

IT WILL REQUIRE DEDICATION.

IT WILL REQUIRE WILLPOWER.

YOU WILL NEED TO MAKE HEALTHY DECISIONS.

IT REQUIRES SACRIFICE.

YOU WILL NEED TO PUSH YOUR BODY AND MIND TO IT'S MAX.

THERE WILL BE TEMPTATIONS, AND MANY OF THEM.

BUT I WILL PROMISE YOU, IF YOU TAKE BACK CONTROL OF YOUR LIFE OF BEING NICOTINE FREE, IT IS ALL COMPLETELY WORTH IT.

• Like 2

Been using dip for very long time. Started in the USMC over 20 years ago. Tried quitting several times with no luck. I'm at a tin a day I would say. Reading all the information here and looking to quit today. Angers me that I cant seem to get it together and just stop. Willing to give this a go.

Been using dip for very long time. Started in the USMC over 20 years ago. Tried quitting several times with no luck. I'm at a tin a day I would say. Reading all the information here and looking to quit today. Angers me that I cant seem to get it together and just stop. Willing to give this a go.

Woz, ex-Navy here. I dipped over 30 years, but I am at day 3,332 or just over 9 years nicotine-FREE. The first thing I had to do was commit to quitting no matter what it took, for as long as it took - and I did it for me. You seem to have that kind of integrity.

I started with a piece of paper, logging the date and number of hours I had not taken a dip. I kept the paper with me as encouragement. When I had a strong craving, I looked at the accumulated hours and told myself I could hold on another 5 minutes. Craves seldom last more than a few minutes, though they may seem much longer.

They hours that accumulated overnight were nice to log. By hour 120, I knew that the physical withdrawal was over, the rest would be mental. I just had to deal with the mental triggers one at a time.

Also, after hour 120, I just dealt with one day at a time. Don't worry about more than that - just commit to make it through today.

As far as the mechanics, I knew that a lot of the dipping experience is the oral satisfaction, so I stocked up on anything I could chew on to satisfy that whenever a crave would strike. I got toothpicks, peanuts, sunflower seeds, even cotton balls to place in my favorite dip spot. I bought sugar free gum and tins of Altoids. Anything that I could think of to chew.

ON A SIDE NOTE: Be aware that dip will halve the effects of caffeine. So if you drink coffee, as I did when I quit, the same number of cups will double the effects when yo are quit and more coffee is worse. Early in my quit, what I though were hard craves were actually the caffeine I was consuming. I wish I had known that when I first began. :smile:

Finally: know that you will always be a nicotine addict. When you reach a point that dip no longer has a strong pull, you cannot have just one for old time's sake. That one dip will enslave you to nicotine all over again.

Edited by Eutychus
  • Like 4

Hey Everyone,

Just joined the site last week. Spent the last week reading peoples stories. I really appreciate this site and it's nice to be able to communicate with other folks who understand how powerful this crap is. I am quitting today. Can someone advise how I link up with a quit group. Thanks.

Hey Everyone,

Just joined the site last week. Spent the last week reading peoples stories. I really appreciate this site and it's nice to be able to communicate with other folks who understand how powerful this crap is. I am quitting today. Can someone advise how I link up with a quit group. Thanks.

Awesome Bflem! Welcome to the site. Here is a link to your group. Get busy quitting and posting.

http://forum.qssn.org/index.php/topic/2572-roll-call/#entry6020531

How do I know when enough is enough? Ive been wanting to quit for 2 whole years now. when I'm using all I can think about is quitting...when I don't have any all I can think about is buying more. I can't seem to pull the plug on my tobacco addiction. I've done crazy shit...dumped out cans just to buy more the same day, got into arguments with the wife so I could be by myself with my "friend". Its not my friend its my enemy. I've been at it for 7.5 years I would like to stop before it all catches up with me. I have a million reasons to quit but in that " moment" I don't seem to give a shit about any of them. Tobacco is making me crazy...I can't believe this stuff is legal...argghh!

How do I know when enough is enough? Ive been wanting to quit for 2 whole years now. when I'm using all I can think about is quitting...when I don't have any all I can think about is buying more. I can't seem to pull the plug on my tobacco addiction. I've done crazy shit...dumped out cans just to buy more the same day, got into arguments with the wife so I could be by myself with my "friend". Its not my friend its my enemy. I've been at it for 7.5 years I would like to stop before it all catches up with me. I have a million reasons to quit but in that " moment" I don't seem to give a shit about any of them. Tobacco is making me crazy...I can't believe this stuff is legal...argghh!

Boy, yours sounds like a familiar tale. In all honesty, jrs, that watershed or "ah ha" moment is different for everyone. For me, it came when my wife busted me lying for the 1001st time. The difference that time was, I had had enough. I remember the last few months dipping when just before I'd dip, I'd get that usual feeling of "oh boy, it's dip time!". Then as soon as I put one in, I'd be hating it. Literally, the second that crap hit my lips, it was nothing but disapointment. I had finally gotten fed up with it. I didn't want to do it anymore. I didn't want to lie, didn't want to hide, didn't want to continue to tempt fate. I was sick of who I had become. I was sick of what I had allowed tobacco to turn me into. I wanted out.

That said, in all likelyhood, your moment will be different. You don't have to be at the "sick of it" phase to have a successful quit. All you have to do is quit. Just for today. That's it. Yes, quitting sucks. Quitting is hard. You're gonna get pissed. You're gonna try to rationalize caving. It's not easy, but it's totally worth it...easily in the top 5 decisions I've ever made.

Edited by Tiger Refuge
  • Like 1

thanks for replying so quickly. this addiction has got me so frustrated. I have all kinds of energy and excitement when I first stop but after a couple hours I have a hard time dealing with all of the rationalizations. I always go back. I don't know how to stop listening to the lies that it tells me. the only way out is through and I have yet to go through I keep trying to go around. I really feel like if I just get a couple of days under my belt that I will be successful. But I can't even seem to get through the first day.I want to quit before my 5 month old boy knows what's going on.I tried quitting when he was in the womb but all I succeeded in doing is making myself crazy by trying to quit every single day for 6 months. I need to stop half-assing it and just go for it. I probably have had 50 half assed quits in the last year alone.

I need help....its pretty obvious to me that I can't do it alone.

thanks for replying so quickly. this addiction has got me so frustrated. I have all kinds of energy and excitement when I first stop but after a couple hours I have a hard time dealing with all of the rationalizations. I always go back. I don't know how to stop listening to the lies that it tells me. the only way out is through and I have yet to go through I keep trying to go around. I really feel like if I just get a couple of days under my belt that I will be successful. But I can't even seem to get through the first day.I want to quit before my 5 month old boy knows what's going on.I tried quitting when he was in the womb but all I succeeded in doing is making myself crazy by trying to quit every single day for 6 months. I need to stop half-assing it and just go for it. I probably have had 50 half assed quits in the last year alone.

Most of us here know exactly how you feel. I know I do. It's an all too common theme. The first and foremost thing you have to do is admit that you are an addict. Once you admit that, and I mean you really accept it, then you can begin to move forward in the process of quitting. The steps to do so are laid out in almost all of the quit groups here. You can go back and read. Go look at the group I'm in (May 2013 HOF group). We posted everything, and I mean EVERYTHING about our lives during the early stages of our quit. That's the beauty of this site. When you come here with your quit in hand, you will have a group of folks going through the exact same stuff you are. You will also have a group there to support you that has gone through what you are going through. The road map to success is right there. All you gotta do is make the commitment. No dip today. Use that energy and anger and frustration and channel it into your quit. Recognize the things that put your quit in jeopardy(for me, hunting and drinking beer were HUGE triggers). Once you taste a bit of success and realize that you ARE strong enough to quit, you'll want more. I know you can quit, but YOU gotta know you can.

You're life will be so much better and stress free without that crap. No longer teathered to that can. No more worrying about mouth cancer, do I have enough dip, will I get caught...etc etc. I am living proof that there is life without the can.

I really feel like if I just get a couple of days under my belt that I will be successful. But I can't even seem to get through the first day.I want to quit before my 5 month old boy knows what's going on.I tried quitting when he was in the womb but all I succeeded in doing is making myself crazy by trying to quit every single day for 6 months. I need to stop half-assing it and just go for it. I probably have had 50 half assed quits in the last year alone.

I deleted a couple of the first lines of your post because i felt i wanted to focus on some of the other stuff.

To me, you need to Nut Up and give it a real shot. If you are truly wanting to quit, your mind, body and soul are in to it, you can do it.

Like Tiger said, you really have to be in the right mind frame and have the energy to admit that you are in fact an addict, that will NEVER change, but you can change how you handle your habits.

I wanted to quit before i was married, before we bought our house, before the baby was born, before she was 1, etc.

Finally one day i had thought abuot it long and hard enough and i said TODAY IS THE DAY.

Haven't looked back. Yes, the first days, weeks suck royal ass. And those seem to be the days that you can't get through. This is where you need to NUT UP, and DO IT.

Like it's said you need to get through the first minutes, hours, that lead to a day.

You said it yourself, if you can get through a day or string some together, you may be on the right path. well, you need to push through the SUCK and see where it leads you.

Post up, we're here for any help or guidence, advice you need.

Read, Read, Read.

We've all been there.

And look where we all are now.

It can be done, your not the first and only that will never beat this addiction. You need to believe in yourself.

ALSO, you need to tell everyone you are quitting. You need to admit to yourself, and everyone else that you have a problem. Dn't be ashamed of it.

Accountability is key.

It's one thing to be accountable to us here, but friends and family will really kick you in the ass if your slacking.

Duf

• Like 2

Thanks for your insight duf and tiger.I've decided to recommit to quitting and stop slowly killing myself.. I'm all most to 11 hours with no nicotine and going for 12!

• Like 1

Thanks for your insight duf and tiger.I've decided to recommit to quitting and stop slowly killing myself.. I'm all most to 11 hours with no nicotine and going for 12!

Nicely done! All you gotta do is make it minute to minute. Stay quit. Print out the contract to give up and put it in you wallet. Commit FULLY to do everything you can to stay quit in those moments of craving. Read. Get some number of quit brothers. Don't dip.

Do you still have a 'sneak away' can stashed somewhere at home? Have you told your wife you are quitting? Write it on the calender that hangs in your kitchen. DO NOT drive past your favorite gas station today on the way home from work.

Print off Steps to a Cave. (i printed it off and taped it to my sunvisor. It's still there after 263 days. My wife asked the other day when i was going to take it down. I said probably if/when i sell my truck.)

If you are really in to this, than you have to fully commit. Be accountable to everyone, especially yourself.

When you have a thought about dipping, or a hard crave;

Think about this last fight, and how "if i wasn't a dipping machine (2 cans a day is quite excessive), i would't have had that fight.)

NO More Fighting/Arguments that have to deal with dipping, if you are a NON-Dipper.

Stay strong in these first hours/day(s).

Duf

nope I don't have any emergency cans or stashes. Yes I told my wife but haven't told my coworkers because I don't want them to wave their cans in my face today

• Like 1

4749 days ago my life changed. I threw away my can of Copenhagen, something I had done before numerous times but never had the gumption to continue. Since it was around Halloween I had plenty to tide me over for the weekend. Come Monday, though, I was beginning to lose the edge and I needed something real quick. On a whim I typed into Yahoo "help quitting smokeless tobacco" and there I found my answer. Quitsmokeless.org stared back at me and I immediately began pouring over its contents. The first thing I read was "The secret of our Success" by Bluesman. It made me realize there were so many more just like me out there: guys who didn't have a support group because they were in the closet about their habit, guys chewing all kinds of stuff but in the end, all the same. I loved the idea of a Hall of Fame and I kept my eyes on that, kept reading the daily posts, read and reread all the featured articles and after a few weeks I was done with the habit.

13 years and I will never forget how I got here. It was a 17 year habit for me and I thought for sure it would last a lifetime. It didn't and I am thankful to Matt Van Wyke and his site and thankful that it has been reconfigured and has reemerged as this site. I will always be grateful. You have added years to my life.

Take a moment to look deep inside yourself. Do you want to quit? The tools are here on this website. If you are willing to put forth the effort, you can be here 13 years later but first you have to master that first day, then the next, then the next.......

good luck everyone. I am rooting for all of you!

• Like 3

Today is day one!

Skoal Apple and Grizzly Mint have been my addiction for the past 6 years.

I probably like most of you have wanted to quit since the day yall met your significant other. I always told myself that, when I found the one I'll stop. But 2 years later and I still havent stopped. It is the single hardest habit that I've ever had to give up. And I know I have to do it but, I really believe today is the day. I found this site because my girlfriend read a letter from one of the hall-of-famers of this site to girls who were trying to get their significant other to quit dipping. I hope to hear from many of you as I begin my endeavor into this new life. And if anyone has any advice please share.. My attempts at quitting in the past have been horrible and I really want this to be the last time I quit.

• Like 1

Today is day one!

I probably like most of you have wanted to quit since the day yall met your significant other. I always told myself that, when I found the one I'll stop. But 2 years later and I still havent stopped. It is the single hardest habit that I've ever had to give up. And I know I have to do it but, I really believe today is the day. I found this site because my girlfriend read a letter from one of the hall-of-famers of this site to girls who were trying to get their significant other to quit dipping. I hope to hear from many of you as I begin my endeavor into this new life. And if anyone has any advice please share.. My attempts at quitting in the past have been horrible and I really want this to be the last time I quit.

Welcome, Soonerjag! Glad you found us. This site is absolutely chock full of badass quitters and tons of information on the battle that lies ahead. And it is a battle. My recommendation is read read read. Look back in the old Hall of Fame speeches. Read the article in the library. Look at the quit methods thread. There is literally tons of info.

The most important two things is 1) Throw away all you dip. The stashes. Go to a gas station and throw them in the trash. All of it. 2) Go post roll call in the February 2016 Hall of Fame group. This will be your band of quit bros. get to know them. Learn how to post roll(don't worry if you mess up...just post). Then keep your promise to not dip. Hold on and embrace the suck...because quitting sucks. The good news is that you can do it. I promise.

Oh, and this isn't a habit...it's an addiction and we are addicts.

Good job! Now see you in roll call in the morning!

*edit* I see you posted roll...well done sir!

Edited by Tiger Refuge

Today is day one!

SoonerJag, Good to see another SC guy on here. Not many of us around. How are you hanging in there today? I know it sucks for you right now but focus on one hour at a time. It wont be long and that margin will grow to make it until lunch time and so forth and so on. Trust me, it gets sooo much better. I promise you that even though it feels like it, quitting will not kill you. You are stronger than this UST. You control your body and what you put in it. Just read all you can for the next couple of days, let the nic get out of your system. If you need to shoot me a PM and we can exchange #s if you need to vent.

Hello all - I've smoked and chewed consistently since I was 18 yrs old ... And I just turned 41 a few weeks back. I was able to quit smoking about a year ago, but chew has always been my first love. I'm sick of feeling like every waking moment of my day revolves around chewing tobacco. Enough is enough. I've wanted to quit for so long now, but just haven't. I think the thought of trying to function in life w/out it has just scared me shitless. But looking over many of the posts here, I see so many of you that have lived through the the same things that I felt like I was only going through. I now have that spirit of hope that I can do it too that I never had. I'm excited, but still scared shitless. I look forward to leaning on all of your stories and support to help me get that final quit... But if anyone can give me a little help on how I can best utilize this arena, I would really appreciate it because I've never been involved in this type of community before. Thanks!

Hello all - I've smoked and chewed consistently since I was 18 yrs old ... And I just turned 41 a few weeks back. I was able to quit smoking about a year ago, but chew has always been my first love. I'm sick of feeling like every waking moment of my day revolves around chewing tobacco. Enough is enough. I've wanted to quit for so long now, but just haven't. I think the thought of trying to function in life w/out it has just scared me shitless. But looking over many of the posts here, I see so many of you that have lived through the the same things that I felt like I was only going through. I now have that spirit of hope that I can do it too that I never had. I'm excited, but still scared shitless. I look forward to leaning on all of your stories and support to help me get that final quit... But if anyone can give me a little help on how I can best utilize this arena, I would really appreciate it because I've never been involved in this type of community before. Thanks!

Welcome, vbd! I gotta keep it short cause I'm on my phone. Navigate around and read. Your group is gonna be the February 2016 HOF group. I'll give you more specifics in a bit.

Edited by Tiger Refuge

Welcome, vbd! I gotta keep it short cause I'm on my phone. Navigate around and read. Your group is gonna be the February 2016 HOF group. I'll give you more specifics in a bit.

We all know where you are right now with being scared shitless. Before anyone of us quit we were worried we wouldn't be able to function without nicotine. How could we possibly enjoy life without our little friend constantly nagging to be a part of it.

Well.......along with me and many others I can tell you it's not only possible but absolutely the best decision you will make today, this month, this year and possibly in your life. Being rid of nicotine and the troubles it brings opens up so many doors that you don't realize are shut for you right now. If you use this site correctly (very easy) then you will have all of the tools to make this quit your last one. All you have to do is post up EVERY day in your quit group......support others in their quit by posting in other groups and then read......and I mean READ everything you can on here......old group post, HOF speeches, Old café topics, etc. There is more good information on here than any other on the net.....there is over 15 years of guys pouring their souls out on here and it's all here for you to read and help with your quit.

All you have to do right now is post day 1.............I notice you have your quit date as 12/31.........Why wait another 7 weeks......by then you could be half way to the HOF. When I first joined this site I had set a date just like you.....I ended up moving it up and I'm so glad I did. If you need to give yourself a couple of days to prepare (like buying gum, seeds, etc) that's fine......but don't put it off to long. The nicotine bitch will convince you to keep putting it off and keep you hooked like she has all these years.

If you want shoot me a PM........

Thanks. I'm thinking I would like to up my quit date. I guess I just put the end of the year to take the wuss way out... And continue to put it off. What was said about always finding another reason to extend the quit makes sense (and I've been doing it for years). I'm gonna take a few days to gather the things I think I'll need for the big day and jump in head first...and continue to feed off of all the great stories and information everyone has shared here.

• Like 1