Quit Smokeless Community
Sign in to follow this  
redhawk41

Messed up thinking that led to caves in the past

I thought I might ask for some of the messed up or irrational thinking that have led others to cave or near cave in the past.

The one that's caught me in the past is:

"Chewing is the only thing that really brings me joy"

I now know that that "joy" was really just the relief from the daily withdrawal rollercoaster that you put yourself through as an addict. (oh, the freedom from that constant rollercoast will be worth the journey)

I have also faltered in the past with a single celebratrory chew that returned me to the chains, "Just one, because I've made it so far..."

Hearing your thoughts that you've gotten out of your head for your successful quits would be useful.

- Redhawk41 - 8 days free - NDT! (one victory at this point is I love looking down and seeing clean fingernails - none of that dirty chew around me!)

I am the epitomy of irrational thinking when it comes to dip.

Here is something helpful DonewithLT posted last month that goes right with what you're asking:

http://whyquit.com/FFN/chapters/FFN_04_Rationalizations.pdf  While this whole article is great, there is a section from page 6 - 10 on the fallacy that using nicotine reduced stress and helped us cope with stressful situations.  This totally debunks that myth and also provides good info on why we have struggled with temper, anger, and cussing like sailors since quitting.  Great, great read for throwing that flawed logic out the window and would suggest reading the entire chapter if you can find the time.  Just read it during the time you used to chew ^_^ 

• Thanks 1

I finally realized that chewing only feeds the nicotine slave-master, nothing else. There's only false joy in being a slave.

Euty ~ 4,244 days nicotine FREE!

• Thanks 1