Quit Smokeless Community
Sign in to follow this  
Drummz

Quitting

Hey- First day quitting...have stopped using many times but always go back to cope. Dipped for at least 20 years and know I need to quit.  Dont like the sneaky, lying person it has made me become. I hope to get some help/support from many of you who beat this addiction. Thanks!

11 minutes ago, Drummz said:

Hey- First day quitting...have stopped using many times but always go back to cope. Dipped for at least 20 years and know I need to quit.  Dont like the sneaky, lying person it has made me become. I hope to get some help/support from many of you who beat this addiction. Thanks!

Welcome, Drummz! You’ll find a lot of information contained within these pages. Go check out the quitgroups in the “pre hall of Fame” thread. You will be in the June 2019 group. 

Dont be shy. Read as much as you can. Post up your promise. Keep your word. Interact with the other quitters. DONT DIP! Get ready to embrace the suck.

Hey Drummz, welcome to the site and congrats on your decision to quit dip and make your life better!  As Tiger Refuge says above, you need to go to the June 2019 quit group and post your promise not to dip today in roll call.  Posting can be a little confusing at first so if you need some help, reach out to me or anyone else here on the site and we'll be happy to help.  You can message anyone here just by clicking on their name/icon which takes you to their profile.   

Your fellow quitter,

Tank

• Like 1

Hey Tank27,

Thanks for reaching out.  I have not dipped and have been messaging  with rwm3892 about a few things - specifically cigars...maybe 1/month socially.  

Understand that is not part of the plan here so really need to think it through before making my promise - don't want to waste anyone's time if I'm not going to commit to that.

I hear you Drummz, I was also a once a month cigar guy before my quit.  It seems like a lot to give up but as I'm guessing RWM pointed out, they're both nicotine and you'll have to give up both to make this work.  For me, it was obviously tough the for first few weeks to give up chewing.  But once I committed to it and made it past the first month, I really didn't miss the cigars - probably because I put them into the nicotine category with dip and trained myself to despise any form of nicotine.   I still get craves once in a while for chew, but as far as the cigars go I find it pretty easy to use the Nancy Regan method and just say no :no:

Good luck in your endeavor and hope to see you posting up day one soon.

Tank

p.s.  I just figured out how to clear out messages from my profile, so I can now accept new personal messages:D

Edited by Tank27
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to your quit. The cigar debate was very much a part of my quit too. I wanted to share with you a post from my new quit group that I posted when I first came back. I say new quit group because I use to be a part of the LTQ back in '07, but threw away a quit of over 780 days. The crux of my fail was a cigar. Here's the story...

I'm back after a long hiatus. I was originally a member of the LTQ. The last time I posted an actual number of days quit to roll call was on 11/17/08 with 780 days under my belt. I continued to post for another 5 days so I'm guessing I made it to 785 days quit before throwing it away. Two of the last 3 posts I made to the site are very telling. I was craving tobacco/nicotine, and thought that I could smoke a cigar without getting caught back up in the addiction. There were obviously doubts, but I distinctly remember the day I walked into the cigar store and bought a cigar and smoked it in one of the oversized leather chairs. When I left I bought a few more to take home. The rest is history. I smoked more cigars, then was right back on the dip so I could continue to feed my addiction while at work. I spent the next 10 years feeding my nicotine addiction, doing more damage to my body, being enslaved to the drug, and wasting over $15,000 more on my addiction.

Please trust me when I say that cigars, at least for me, lead right back to the addiction in full force. No amount of nicotine is ever enough once it's in the system. I've copied and pasted below the 2 posts that I referenced earlier.

I've been craving cigars as of late. I think it's a combination of the cooler weather, approaching holidays, and the fact that I finish my program in just a couple of weeks. I was picking up some Bourbon at the local package store today and ended up with my nose in the walk in humidor filling my nostrils with the humid smell of aged tobacco leaves and quickly realized that was a stupid move. If I ever fall, it will be a premium hand rolled cigar that takes me down.

Killerattorney said:
I got involved in a somewhat heated discussion about cigars in the December 2008 quit group...the same discussion that happens in most groups at some point. But it seems like some of them didn't see the big deal in smoking a cigar occasionally.

I've encountered the same thing. I went into chat last night looking for a bit of support, something I haven't had to do in well over a year, and when I brought up my issue, I was met with "cigars are no big deal", and a confession that they smoke them. I had to bail out of there as I was on the brink of heading back to the ABC Store's humidor. It still sounds appealing this morning, but the feeling is not as strong as it was yesterday.

Edited by 6string
  • Thanks 1

6 String

Thanks for the welcome and sharing your story and experience.

I have heard similar stories to yours over the past day.  It makes perfect sense - I am sure you are correct.  

It just sucks...maybe just me but seems like this would be throwing all of the fun away.  First the dip, no cigars.  Hell, golf won't be any fun without a dip - my as well quit that too.

Day 2 now for me - haven't posted promise until I figure this shit out but just getting irritated.

21 minutes ago, Drummz said:

6 String

Thanks for the welcome and sharing your story and experience.

I have heard similar stories to yours over the past day.  It makes perfect sense - I am sure you are correct.  

It just sucks...maybe just me but seems like this would be throwing all of the fun away.  First the dip, no cigars.  Hell, golf won't be any fun without a dip - my as well quit that too.

Day 2 now for me - haven't posted promise until I figure this shit out but just getting irritated.

That's the addiction talking. Life without nicotine sucks at first, but it gets better. And all the things that are fun with nicotine are fun without it. The addiction wants to stay in control and is trying to create the illusion that it brings all the fun to the table. It's BS, it's only along for the ride, and then only if you let it be.

• Like 1

Drummz,

From one nicotine addict to another,

I'm an avid bow hunter and my quit date is Oct 26, just before the best part of the hunting season for my area. I still hunted the rest of the season without dip, believe it or not life without dip is possible, in fact it is so much better. Not making sure you have enough dip to get you through the day, no making sure you have a bottle handy when you want it, not can rubbing a ring in your pants, the list goes on and on. It's a matter of learning to do your favorite activities without a pinch or smoke. Those activities will be just as good, if not better, without that ball and chain weighing you down. I hope you are here to quit for you, I wish you the best and will be looking for you in the June HOF group.

• Like 1