Quit Smokeless Community
Sign in to follow this  
Capt, Kirk

To the Guests lurking on the site

I quite often see 6-8-10 Guests looking around the site at any given time. It's great that you all have found the site and are looking around. It's great that you are reading about the experiences of past quitters that have preceeded you. There's one problem though, you are not using the site to its fullest extent, you are not using the site in such a way that increases your chances for a successful quit. It's simple, register to the site...it's fast, simple and free. Once you're registered, quit dipping and find your group. If you're having troubles, just ask and you will be helped. Each day after your quit, come to your group and post a roll-call. If during your quit, you're having unmanageable cravings or some other struggle, come to your group and post about it, you'll be talked through it. The whole premise of the site is accountability and being a Guest doesn't give you that accountability. You have to register, post roll in your group and ask for help if/when you need it. You're here for a reason, you want to quit, you're thinking about quitting. You're a Guest for a reason too, you're afraid to commit to saving your life. You're afraid to possibly start something you might fail at. You know you need to quit but are afraid that you're not strong enough. We have ALL been there. There's a million excuses why not to get your ass in here but there's one reason to...you're killing yourself if you don't. Register now and lets get this quit started.

Edited by Capt, Kirk
  • Like 1

OK, so there's 6 guests on the site right now. What the hell is the matter with you guys? Sneaking around in the shadows isn't gonna cut it...get your ass registered and go post in your Sept group. Once you register, you will see member areas of the site and you will have the full advantage of the site to help with your quit. I challenge you guests to grow some sack and get registered and post a hello in your Sept group.

To add on to what Capt, Kirk says above... Lurkers, you didn't find this site by accident. You probably came here after reading the great stuff on  http://www.quitsmokeless.org/ . Most of us here did. We were searching because we were desperate to quit. We read the stories and we felt hope that we too could conquer this terrible addiction. If you were like us and need the daily accountability and support. You can register and post day 1 right after dumping and flushing all your stash and making the promise that your love/hate affair with dip is over.

What is the Quit Smokeless Community?

We are an online support group of mostly men, but women are equally welcome too, who are kicking our addiction to smokeless tobacco on a daily basis. If you were like us and need the daily accountability and support, then my best advice is don't wait.  You can register and post day 1 right after dumping and flushing all your stash and making the promise that your love/hate affair with dip is over. Nicotine is not allowed. No cigars, cigarettes, vapes, non-tobacco nicotine-containing dip, no NRT. You cannot fight a nicotine addiction with nicotine.

What is a Quit Group?

We organize ourselves according to the month we will reach our first 100 days quit. For instance, if you quit on 5/27/2019 , you would reach 100 days quit on the 3rd of September. Thus you would belong to the September 2019 Quit Group. You will belong to that group if you quit anywhere between these dates: 5/25/2019 - 06/23/2019.

To join this group all you have to do is quit dipping and post Roll Call.

1) To get there, go to --> Home --> Quit Groups (Members Only)  -->Pre-Hall of Famers  -->September 2019 -->Roll Call

OR

2) Click the shortcut link: https://forum.qssn.org/index.php?/topic/2851-roll-call/

How it works:

Post roll call daily. This is your promise to yourself and us that you will not use nicotine in any form for the rest of the day. Simply add your name and your day count. Come back tomorrow and repeat your promise. 

How to post roll call:

Go to the bottom of the last page (if multiple pages), to the very last post, then...

1) On a PC

1. Do NOT click on the "quote button"  2. Highlight the entire last post starting with "If you quit between  (insert date) - (insert date) this is your quit group" all the way through the last person to post under supporters.  3. Either right click on the highlighted area and click "copy" or the "Ctrl" key and the letter "C" at the same time.  4. At the bottom of the page (below the fat blue bar with page numbers on it and below the very last post) is a blank box for a new post (says "reply to this topic").   Place cursor in this box and right click "paste" or "ctrl" and "V" at the same time.  5. Go to the middle of your post where it says "quitters" add your name, quit days and comments then click "submit reply". 

You do need to do a little editing of the date, and deleting of previous quitters and supporters if you are the first to post for the new day.  It takes a little patience but once you learn it it's quick and easy :yes:

2) (On a phone)

Use your phone's touch screen copy and paste functions to do what is described above. It might need some practice.

It's easier to do than it is to explain. The only mistake you can make is to not post your promise posted. You'll get the hang of it. 

Why is my name still in the "most recent member" box?? Christ Almighty...what's it gonna take for a Guest to actually take control of their addiction and their life. Get registered and lets get this quit on the road!

Ten guests on the site now...what has to happen to get one of you to decide that you've had enough of being a slave to dip?? I dipped cope for 23 years, found QS and quit for 10 years and that would not have happened without the support from the people here. I screwed up and took a cigar and I caved. I'm back here on day 8 and I should be at day 15 years. I own my mistake and I'm here again to make sure that I remain accountable to the people that I know from 15 years ago and to the people that I never got the opportunity to meet since I left. I have a dry erase board in my office and I have my days quit written on there. I have informed my two dip suppliers that I quit (they were glad about it), I have informed my friends and family...I have gone all in and am completely transparent. It's called accountability and I'm going to get as much as I can. For you guests, I played that game too. Lurking around, reading but not committing to my quit. Afraid that I might fail and be embarrassed. Knowing that I needed to quit but not quite willing to give up the nic bitch. All of us here on QS have lived exactly what you're going through...you're not unique. This site is full of people that had no idea they had the strength to quit and yet they did. The great people on this site know each stage of a quit and can explain what you're going through and help you through it. We're standing by ready to help you save your life...all you have to do is stop being a bystander and take that first step. I'm sure that there's some people that love you that would like you to take that step. 

Eight guests on right now and I'm still the newest member of the site...that's some crazy bat shit stuff right there! Well, I guess if you carry your sack in a man-purse it is easier to read about people having quit than it is to actually quit yourself. What are you eight hoping to gain by lurking in the shadows? Heaven forbid you being accountable to people that want to see you succeed in your quit. You know, we really do want to see you kick this bitch and we can help you do it when you exit from the shadows and post day 1 in your Sept group.

On 5/29/2019 at 5:00 PM, Capt, Kirk said:

Eight guests on right now and I'm still the newest member of the site...that's some crazy bat shit stuff right there! Well, I guess if you carry your sack in a man-purse it is easier to read about people having quit than it is to actually quit yourself. What are you eight hoping to gain by lurking in the shadows? Heaven forbid you being accountable to people that want to see you succeed in your quit. You know, we really do want to see you kick this bitch and we can help you do it when you exit from the shadows and post day 1 in your Sept group.

Let me guess, people badgering you made you throw away every can of dip you owned and immediately quit. :rolleyes:

I guess I'm weird, I had to reach the point I truly wanted to be free from the slavery of dip and be willing to do whatever it took to get there before I threw away dip and embraced the suck. Maybe others like to be talked to like children by a sarcastic old man.

To those like me, I invite the lurkers to look around and read as much as you can from those who broke the bonds of the nicotine-slave master.

Euty ~ day 4,657, nearly 14 years, nicotine-free

4 hours ago, Eutychus said:

Let me guess, people badgering you made you throw away every can of dip you owned and immediately quit. :rolleyes:

I guess I'm weird, I had to reach the point I truly wanted to be free from the slavery of dip and be willing to do whatever it took to get there before I threw away dip and embraced the suck. Maybe others like to be talked to like children by a sarcastic old man.

To those like me, I invite the lurkers to look around and read as much as you can from those who broke the bonds of the nicotine-slave master.

Euty ~ day 4,657, nearly 14 years, nicotine-free

Actually, yes. In 04 I was a lurker, I then joined the site and proudly posted that I was planning on quitting on some random date in the future. A gentleman veteran named Hoopity explained to me in no uncertain terms that I was a dumbass and that I need to pull my head out of my ass and the dip out of my mouth right then. I did so and that was the beginning of a 10 year quit. I'm back here now on day 11 because I drifted away from the site and lost the accountability. Reading is fine but accountability is key...some people need a little nudge to begin their journey. Not getting a single new member in a week isn't a glowing testament that all's fine. Having one person in a quit group (such as mine) isn't an indication that all's fine. Time to try something different.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I quit in 2006 when I decided to quit and I'm on day 4,660 because I would rather be free than a slave to nicotine, even if someone could give me an ironclad guarantee that I'd never have any health-related problems from dip and that I could have a lifetime supply of dip and to always be free to put a fat one in my mouth any time I wanted one. I also know that it would only take one dip to put me back into that trap.

If someone doesn't want to quit, no amount of badgering or pleading will keep them quit. I have to want to quit in order to remain free, not for someone else or to live up to their expectations.

Accountability to a group helps enormously, but in the final analysis, I have to want freedom more than just one more dip.

Euty ~ day 4,660, nearly 14 years, nicotine-free

Euty, I had my first run with QS in 2004 and I hung around for years after I was comfortable with being quit. I remember you, I remember when you first quit and I commend you for remaining committed to your quit. You're doing good!! When I first logged in on QS I was greeted by Hoop...and I felt like I was being greeted by a Drill Sergeant. It's because of Hoop that I stayed. Had I have been greeted with fluff and emotion...I wouldn't have stayed and wouldn't have made it that 10 years. I'm 15 days into my new quit and I'm the newest member....Christ, 4660 days ago you didn't see one new member every 2 weeks...you saw new members daily. How many members did you have in your group in 2006? I'll bet at least 20 with some falling out later. I don't believe that membership to the site is a result of a drastic reduction of people chewing. I think it's safe to assume that there's a similar amount of people chewing now as there was 15 years ago. You'd have to assume that of those people there are the same amount of people wanting to quit as there was 15 years ago. I've seen 12 "guests" here once and I'm the newest member after 15 days.??? You continue  supporting lurkers to quit your way and I'll continue to encouraging lurkers the way that started my 10 year quit.

This site has obviously taken a plunge - however, flavius is working to fix it.  We have a chain email full of suggestions from veteran quitters to get things going in the right direction.  The membership will get going again someday - hopefully soon.

There are many styles of quitters out there.  If quiet and calm works for some people then go for it.  They typically have a post count equal to their number of days and then they vanish.  I, personally cant sugar coat addiction.  People in AA don't do it either.  Because if you sugar coat it you are basically giving someone a free pass.  If someone is lurking around this site then chances are they have tried to quit on their own multiple times and failed.  There is nothing wrong with trying to jumpstart someone posting up a day one by trying to get them to be HONEST about their addiction.  

So for anyone poking around the site that hasn't joined yet, please do so.  There is a nicotine free life out there for you that you can earn.  It is worth it.  You will be supported, this I can promise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 Guests looking on the site right now, maybe ONE of them has the desire to change their life starting today

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but Guests on the forum include automated bots that search websites for keywords. Those include bots for Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc. This forum's software cannot distinguish from a human lurker and a bot.