Quit Smokeless Community
Sign in to follow this  
Flavius Victor

The Cafe - 2008

Let's all add an item or two to this list. I know something like this has been done before, but let's see what we can come up with. Just keep building on the list the same way we might add our names to roll call, but instead add reasons why you are thankful to be quit.

REASONS WHY I AM GLAD I NO LONGER CHEW TOBACCO:

1) No more spit bottles rolling out from underneath my car seat

2) No more freaking out when people visit my house, wondering if I left a nasty spit bottle in plain view

3) No more throwing parties, leaving my spit "beer bottle" next my friends almost empty bottle, and him drinking my spit ^_^

4) Freedom to plan trips without giving consideration to having enough or using dip.

5) No more speeding home to beat my wife there because I think I left a can on the counter.

6) No more swallowing juice when someone unexpectedly calls or stops by the office.

7) 4 year-old son doesn't have to ask "is this yuck?" before taking a drink from a soda can.

8) $2051.00 Not spent on dip so far. ^_^

9) Being able to play with my son in the spur of the moment, instead of waiting until I'm done with my dip.

10) Being able to go to bed at a decent hour instead of staying up late just to have some alone time to dip.

11) Clean cup holders and door pockets in my truck.

12) Chicks dig guys that don't dip (and the $10,000 I saved is a good thing too)

13) No more leather lip from chewing too much. Here is to a smooth lip!

14) No more worring about getting to the store in the middle of the night because you have maybe 1 pinch lof chew left.

15) No more googling "Is smokless tobacco safe" just so i can continue to chew my ass off!

16) No more "recycling" of dips when your low and can't make it to the store.

17)No more planning all activities around how easy it is to dip while participating

18) No more spittin' on the ol' lady while we're jammin' down the freeway on my Harley.

19) No more "cowboy pinstripes" down the side of my pick-up.

20) No more running out to the car to "make sure it's locked" to get my can so I can sneak a dip while I'm on the crapper

21) No more surreptitious pocket checks to see if I have the can.

22) No longer making that last dip go on and on and on and on because I miscalculated how much chew was left.

23) No longer buying 2 cokes and chugging 1 so i have a spitter.

24) Not having to use my workout water bottle as a spitter, cause it's the only thing in my car at the time.

25) I can now hang out with all the cool kids on www.quitsmokelessnetwork.org who also quit using tobacco B)

26) I am no longer a slave to an addiction that was slowly destroying me, my confidence, my family life, my relationship with my wife and kids, my accomplishments and my life (oh great, who invited the downer?).

27) I can enjoy a spur of the moment liplock with my wife.

28) Invitation for smooching no longer requires mouth detoxification. I can just brush like a normal guy... ^_^

29) No more finding things to put in my pocket to mask the round dip can so people don't question.

30) No more being panic stricken because you have a mouth full of spit and running into someone wanting to talk to you while you are in a rush to find a place to spit.

31) No more Holy Crap burnt eyeballs after taking a dip and rubbing my eyes (for whatever reason) That could not have been good for the eyesight!

32) No more panic attacks or flipping out because"somebody took"my chew!

33) Not dropping flecks of dip on a white shirt, then trying to wipe it off and getting a big brown smudge on the shirt.

34) Never again having to see the look in my wife's eyes as she silently wonders if I'm still dipping? If I'm still gambling w/ the life of her husband?

Let's all add an item or two to this list. I know something like this has been done before, but let's see what we can come up with. Just keep building on the list the same way we might add our names to roll call, but instead add reasons why you are thankful to be quit.

2) No more freaking out when people visit my house, wondering if I left a nasty spit bottle in plain view

3) No more throwing parties, leaving my spit "beer bottle" next my friends almost empty bottle, and him drinking my spit ^_^

4) Freedom to plan trips without giving consideration to having enough or using dip.

5) No more speeding home to beat my wife there because I think I left a can on the counter.

6) No more swallowing juice when someone unexpectedly calls or stops by the office.

7) 4 year-old son doesn't have to ask "is this yuck?" before taking a drink from a soda can.

8) $2051.00 Not spent on dip so far. B)

9) Being able to play with my son in the spur of the moment, instead of waiting until I'm done with my dip.

10) Being able to go to bed at a decent hour instead of staying up late just to have some alone time to dip.

12) Chicks dig guys that don't dip (and the $10,000 I saved is a good thing too)

14) No more worring about getting to the store in the middle of the night because you have maybe 1 pinch lof chew left.

15) No more googling "Is smokless tobacco safe" just so i can continue to chew my ass off!

17)No more planning all activities around how easy it is to dip while participating

18) No more spittin' on the ol' lady while we're jammin' down the freeway on my Harley.

20) No more running out to the car to "make sure it's locked" to get my can so I can sneak a dip while I'm on the crapper

22) No longer making that last dip go on and on and on and on because I miscalculated how much chew was left.

24) Not having to use my workout water bottle as a spitter, cause it's the only thing in my car at the time.

25) I can now hang out with all the cool kids on www.quitsmokelessnetwork.org who also quit using tobacco ^_^

26) I am no longer a slave to an addiction that was slowly destroying me, my confidence, my family life, my relationship with my wife and kids, my accomplishments and my life (oh great, who invited the downer?).

28) Invitation for smooching no longer requires mouth detoxification. I can just brush like a normal guy... ^_^

29) No more finding things to put in my pocket to mask the round dip can so people don't question.

30) No more being panic stricken because you have a mouth full of spit and running into someone wanting to talk to you while you are in a rush to find a place to spit.

31) No more Holy Crap burnt eyeballs after taking a dip and rubbing my eyes (for whatever reason) That could not have been good for the eyesight!

33) Not dropping flecks of dip on a white shirt, then trying to wipe it off and getting a big brown smudge on the shirt.

34) Never again having to see the look in my wife's eyes as she silently wonders if I'm still dipping? If I'm still gambling w/ the life of her husband?

35)No longer turning my tan interior dark brown after I rub my dip fingers clean on the carpet of my truck.....

25) I can now hang out with all the cool kids on www.quitsmokelessnetwork.org who also quit using tobacco B)

35)No longer turning my tan interior dark brown after I rub my dip fingers clean on the carpet of my truck.....

36) No more "blasting" the dash and windshield with a sneeze or sudden laugh.... crikey, what a mess..

3) No more throwing parties, leaving my spit "beer bottle" next my friends almost empty bottle, and him drinking my spit

8) $2051.00 Not spent on dip so far.

25) I can now hang out with all the cool kids on www.quitsmokelessnetwork.org who also quit using tobacco

28) Invitation for smooching no longer requires mouth detoxification. I can just brush like a normal guy...

36) No more "blasting" the dash and windshield with a sneeze or sudden laugh.... crikey, what a mess..

37) free will

joxxer That's dip-rage. Understand that the addiction is causing this. Realize that it is YOU, and not everything else. Take all that rage and re-direct it at quitting this addiction. That is exactly the venomous hate you need. Quitting an addiction isn't a joke. This thing is trying to kill you for real, only it takes it's sweet time and makes you suffer lie Mikey Meyers. You have to fight it off and kill it or it will come back.

3) No more throwing parties, leaving my spit "beer bottle" next my friends almost empty bottle, and him drinking my spit

25) I can now hang out with all the cool kids on www.quitsmokelessnetwork.org who also quit using tobacco

28) Invitation for smooching no longer requires mouth detoxification. I can just brush like a normal guy...

37) free will

38) no longer having to look for the 1 pair of jeans with the least visible skoal ring

37) free will

38) no longer having to look for the 1 pair of jeans with the least visible skoal ring

39) No longer freaking out and worrying about every random cancre sore

37) free will

39) No longer freaking out and worrying about every random cancre sore

40) No longer having my 9 yr old son watch me take a dip in the truck and then just look at me...No longer feeling disgusted in myself wondering what he must have thought about Dad dipping.

Came in today to work when one of my employees walked up and gave me a present. She gave me a fresh can of Copenhagen not knowing I quit. I did not have the heart to tell her yet, so I took the can and passed it along to my brother in law. The point is that I was not even tempted to sneak a pinch. There was no urge or desire to open that can. Boy I have come a long way. Feels great to be able to do that!

25) I can now hang out with all the cool kids on www.quitsmokelessnetwork.org who also quit using tobacco ^_^

37) free will

38) No craves when I pass the tobacco section.

Came in today to work when one of my employees walked up and gave me a present. She gave me a fresh can of Copenhagen not knowing I quit. I did not have the heart to tell her yet, so I took the can and passed it along to my brother in law. The point is that I was not even tempted to sneak a pinch. There was no urge or desire to open that can. Boy I have come a long way. Feels great to be able to do that!

There's a C-store I've driven past every day since I quit that advertises 2 cans Cope for $5.29. In the early days, it made me angry to see it. Then it became just annoying. Now it only saddens me to know that it still draws some inside but also makes me wonder how they have been able to continue to sell what cost $3.50 each when I was using 685 days ago.

I can't remember when I had my last crave. They slowly lost their power. The biggest danger now is if I developed the stupid notion that I can ever socially dip or have some once in a while! Even after the craves have gone, returning to this forum on a regular basis is a needed reminder that, while I'm clean and not controlled by thoughts of dip, I will always remain a recovering addict that's only one can, one dip away from becoming a slave again.

37) free will

39.) No More Hiding!

Congrats on not feeling the crave to cave. Good for you! B)

Let me just point out something that kind of bugs me about what you are saying though. You took a brand new can of death and gave it to your Brother-In-Law? What, you don't like him or something? Even though it's cool that you resisted the temptation, it would have been even cooler if you were able to open it up, take a wiff of it's cancerous goodness, and flush the freaking thing down the toilet.

Just my two cents worth!

37) free will

39.) No More Hiding!

40) I haven't slept this good in years.

Im still on my first week of being quit, and I am hoping you all or anyone here can give advice on how to stay cool.

I know being quit is a positive thing but for some reason I do get upset. This is bad because I was so very upset in class over a stupid quiz question today.

I use to think if I ever get excited I will go to the gym, because I enjoy the gym. But like many I have a commitment to school and a job.

I didn't come close to caving but I did want to punch somebody...

I hope you're feeling better today than two days ago. Your anger will subside, I promise you. I had a really hard time with anger when I quit. Remember that your mind is doing some "re-wiring" of how to deal with emotions. About three weeks into my quit, my son (He's sixteen months) had a possible problem with his feet. Now he has never had any severe problems, but since birth, he has had his fair share of minor problems, one requiring surgery early this year. Any who, one night, when the wife and I were talking, I started ranting that what if the problems get worse and worse until the bomb shell comes from the doctor on something that can't be fixed. Needless to say, I lost it and started crying my eyes out at the thought. I haven't cried that hard in years. It was abnormal, a little, to the situation, but for years, dip was my dam for emotion. Worry = dip, sad = dip, excited = dip, etc... Without the dip, my dam broke and it broke hard. When I regained my composure I layed there, stupified at what I had just felt. Deep down...it felt good. It was more normal than daming it back with nictotine. Stay quit! Find your mind set and activities that keep you as calm as possible. If you're going to punch somebody, punch the nic bitch! It gets better, we promise!

Just wanted to throw a little encouragement out to any newbies - Life does get easier with time. It sure doesn't happen overnight. I have gone 500+ days now without nic and I can truly say that I don't have those knee buckling craves anymore. In fact, i haven't had one of those for a long long time. In the beginning though I thought there was no way in hell I would every become a vet on this board. Hell, I still don't feel like a vet. But I do know that I have made some good friends here that support me and visa versa. I would not be dip free if it wasn't for this board. If you are new, stick around - life gets better and you may make a couple of friends in the process.

Hello Everyone - I am a newbie, on day 9 right now and continually battling the demon. Around day 4 I came to this site looking for stories from people who had a relapse, even just one, mainly to justify my urge to "just have one". I somehow rationalized in my head that having a relapse was all part of the quitting experience. Anyway, I only had 20 minutes or so to search but I could not find one reference to anyone having a relapse - I am sure they are there somewhere - but I could not find a single one and that alone helped me stay on track and I was able to beat away the demon another day. I spent 20 years under the spell and it is amazing how many of the postings, stories, lists, etc on this site I can relate to. Anyway, just wanted to say hello and thank all of you for this site, it has definitely helped me stay on course!

Jacobsdad

May i suggest you join us here In July 08 group http://forum.quitsmokelessnetwork.org/inde...t=0&start=0

Also here is a link on how to post roll when you get a chance http://forum.quitsmokelessnetwork.org/inde...p?showtopic=493

Finally I read this page as a step by step process of getting familiar with this place http://www.quitsmokelessnetwork.org/content/view/27/1/

Good luck

Hello Everyone - I am a newbie, on day 9 right now and continually battling the demon. Around day 4 I came to this site looking for stories from people who had a relapse, even just one, mainly to justify my urge to "just have one". I somehow rationalized in my head that having a relapse was all part of the quitting experience. Anyway, I only had 20 minutes or so to search but I could not find one reference to anyone having a relapse - I am sure they are there somewhere - but I could not find a single one and that alone helped me stay on track and I was able to beat away the demon another day. I spent 20 years under the spell and it is amazing how many of the postings, stories, lists, etc on this site I can relate to. Anyway, just wanted to say hello and thank all of you for this site, it has definitely helped me stay on course!

JacobsDad, "Just have One" idea always leads you to just one day, just one week, just one more month. Once you quit, you have to stay quit. No more "I will only dip when ....", it just doesn't work that way. We are addicts and addicts cannot handle that "one more time".

If you are looking for someone that had a relaspe, just pick out any member. There are hundreds of active users that have had relaspes or as we say here at QS.org, a "cave". I am on day 223 without a dip, this time. I dipped for 30 years and I quit a hundred times but none ever stuck this long. Most only last a few hours before I justified a dip with "Just one more".

So, why is this quit sticking? Number one reason for me, I get every morning and say "I am not dipping today". Actually, that is about the only time I even crave a dip anymore. Posting here, getting to know the other quitters has helped me emmensly as well.

Just join the July 2008 quit group. Post roll every day and make that same promise, "I will not dip today". If you make that promise everyday, then "just having one" never becomes an option.

If you need to read about failures, just go read the success stories in the HOF. Most of the HOF speeches mention the many failures we all have had in the past.

Good luck, and I look forward to seeing you post up everyday!!

Dipstick22

Welcome JacobsDad.

Joxxer is exactly right. Find your group, and start posting roll call. Roll call is your PROMISE to everyone else in the group that you won't use tobacco today. We will worry about tomorrow when tomorrow comes. One day at a time.

Relapsing is a fancy word that seems to glorify and justify the use of tobacco. People tend to use the word "caving" around here instead. Is it part of the process? It doesn't have to be. All of us have tried quitting and have failed at some point. But that doesn't mean it is okay or justified. This board has helped all of us get past the hump. Stay close to it and post everyday. Become a permanent fixture in your group. Act as if this board has the magical key to guarding your life. Because it very well may.

Looking for stories on people caving is just one of the many lies the nicotine bitch is telling you in order to get you to cave. Don't listen.

I'm going to make an assumption based upon your moniker. You have a son named Jacob. If you ever decide quitting is too hard and you decide it's time to cave, follow these two steps first-

1) Carry a picture of Jacob with you at all times. If you ever decide to cave, before you put worm dirt back in your mouth, pull out a picture of Jacob. Look directly at the picture and say "I love dipping more than I love you. Quitting is just too hard. I know there is a chance that you'll have to watch your father die from from oral cancer, but quitting is just too hard and I can't do it."

2) Come to this board and ask everyone in your quit group for permission to cave. Explain to them why it is so much harder for you than it is for the rest of them. After you've convinced everyone, then you can go to the store and buy your can of Crapendoodle.

I'd bet a steak dinner you'd never have to go further than step one. But if you need more proof- follow the link below. Start at the bottom and work your way to the top. It's the Tom Kern story. You'll hear it referenced on this website quite often.

http://www.caringbridge.org/mn/tomkern/history.htm

Wolf Man

Day 58

I would like to know if there is anyone out there that has actually lost weight while trying to quit... I know most people put on a few pounds which is fine with me if it means I will be dip free. I've been eating healthier since I quit and also be exercising to pass the time. Just wanted to see if anyone out there that has managed to lose a few pounds during the process.

I would like to know if there is anyone out there that has actually lost weight while trying to quit... I know most people put on a few pounds which is fine with me if it means I will be dip free. I've been eating healthier since I quit and also be exercising to pass the time. Just wanted to see if anyone out there that has managed to lose a few pounds during the process.

Yes, no, then Yes again. I actually lost about 15 pounds in the first 80 days. But I was in a "Biggest Loser" contest at work and was totally motivated by the $250 I won. By day 160, I had put all of that poundage back on.

8 weeks ago, my company got me involved in a Fittness Clinic (it is ran by a medical Dr.) Through a combination of education, diet, and kick ass personal training, I have lost the 15 pounds again but in a much smarter way (body fat % is down 5 points). In the simplest terms the program is: 1) eat a "heart-healthy" diet 2) Lift weights to build muscle 3) Do cardio for overall fitness and to burn calories. I have another four weeks paid by the company, then I am going to pick it up myself.

Hey JD,

Welcome. You want relapse stories? I had a relapse. After 4 years quit I decided to have just one. It worked out great too! Well except for the fact it took me another 12 years to spit out that dip. One of the fundamental laws of addiction is that there is no such thing as just one because we are powerless to control ourselves in it's presence. The only tool we have in our defense is to STOP, and never use it again. Not for any reason or in any form. Otherwise the chances are you'll be back at former use levels or worse before you know it.

I know at day 9 this seems like an eternal sentence of misery. Trust me, it will go away and you'll adjust to a life w/o dip. Right now the best thing you can do is stay quit for you and your family one day at a time. Stick around and get plugged in here. You'll find plenty of support to help you along the path.

Stay Strong,

<>P

This is stupid question - but how do you chat? I know where it is at but I open it up and nothing happens. I type in the bar down there but nothing happens. I have brand new cpu so wouldn't imagine that it is problem with that.

I seem to remember some monologue the penguin posted in early in my group (Jan 07). It made me laugh and want to put on my kilt and kill the English. He should post it again.