Quit Smokeless Community
Sign in to follow this  
Flavius Victor

The Cafe - 2008

This is stupid question - but how do you chat? I know where it is at but I open it up and nothing happens. I type in the bar down there but nothing happens. I have brand new cpu so wouldn't imagine that it is problem with that.

you may need to look at your browser security settings.

You also may want to ensure you are in the chat room everyone uses. I'm durn near positive this is it.

http://www.quitsmokeless.org/chat/quitchat.php

This is stupid question - but how do you chat? I know where it is at but I open it up and nothing happens. I type in the bar down there but nothing happens. I have brand new cpu so wouldn't imagine that it is problem with that.

you may need to look at your browser security settings.

You also may want to ensure you are in the chat room everyone uses. I'm durn near positive this is it.

http://www.quitsmokeless.org/chat/quitchat.php

thanks - it was browser settings.

I seem to remember some monologue the penguin posted in early in my group (Jan 07). It made me laugh and want to put on my kilt and kill the English. He should post it again.

found it:

Time to pump you up and motivate you for the weekend....For the first weekend (actually first few weekends) things can be very challenging and the few clear thoughts that do get through the fuzz that you are in....sometimes are not as clear as we think they are. The demon will be picking your brain trying to justify you rekindling that relationship with that certain something that you have broken all ties with....So, tonite, I am not penguin....I am PENGUIN WALLACE and you will listen to my words fellow QS brothers and sisters!

Penguin Wallace:

Sons of QS. I am Penguin Wallace.

QS'ers:

Penguin Wallace is seven feet tall!

Penguin W.:

Yes, I've heard. Kills craves by the hundreds! And if he were here, he'd consume the nic craves with fire balls from his eyes and bolts of lightning from his arse! I am Penguin Wallace! And I see a whole army of my countrymen, here in defiance of smokeless tobacco craves. You've come to fight as free men, and free men you are. What will you do with that freedom? Will you fight?

QS'ers:

Fight? Against that? No, we will surrender to the craves, and we might be happy and might live.

Penguin: Aye, fight and you may be miserable for a time. Run, and you'll live. At least a while. And dying in your beds, many years from now, consumed by the drug and cancer, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that... for one chance... just ONE CHANCE to come back here and tell our enemy that they may make us crave, but they will never take OUR FREEDOM!!!

Keep marching forward, putting more distance between the old you and the new and improved you! Realize that the craves you may face WILL go away. Choose to beat the crave rather than succumb to a cave!

Good luck in your quits!Today is a great day to be dip free and alive!

I seem to remember some monologue the penguin posted in early in my group (Jan 07). It made me laugh and want to put on my kilt and kill the English. He should post it again.

found it:

Time to pump you up and motivate you for the weekend....For the first weekend (actually first few weekends) things can be very challenging and the few clear thoughts that do get through the fuzz that you are in....sometimes are not as clear as we think they are. The demon will be picking your brain trying to justify you rekindling that relationship with that certain something that you have broken all ties with....So, tonite, I am not penguin....I am PENGUIN WALLACE and you will listen to my words fellow QS brothers and sisters!

Penguin Wallace:

Sons of QS. I am Penguin Wallace.

QS'ers:

Penguin Wallace is seven feet tall!

Penguin W.:

Yes, I've heard. Kills craves by the hundreds! And if he were here, he'd consume the nic craves with fire balls from his eyes and bolts of lightning from his arse! I am Penguin Wallace! And I see a whole army of my countrymen, here in defiance of smokeless tobacco craves. You've come to fight as free men, and free men you are. What will you do with that freedom? Will you fight?

QS'ers:

Fight? Against that? No, we will surrender to the craves, and we might be happy and might live.

Penguin: Aye, fight and you may be miserable for a time. Run, and you'll live. At least a while. And dying in your beds, many years from now, consumed by the drug and cancer, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that... for one chance... just ONE CHANCE to come back here and tell our enemy that they may make us crave, but they will never take OUR FREEDOM!!!

Keep marching forward, putting more distance between the old you and the new and improved you! Realize that the craves you may face WILL go away. Choose to beat the crave rather than succumb to a cave!

Good luck in your quits!Today is a great day to be dip free and alive!

Oh, that is good - laugh out loud good. Funny, the weekends have never been a problem for me, because if the craves hit, I can just curl up in a ball in some corner 'til they pass - it's the work day that has always been the toughest for me. FREEEEEEEEEEDOOOOOMMMMMMM!

I woke up this morning and did not think "man, I wish I was dipping", I thought "thank god I found the strength to overcome this addiction and become free!"

Hater

I woke up this morning and did not think "man, I wish I was dipping", I thought "thank god I found the strength to overcome this addiction and become free!"

Hater

I did - but then I slammed my nuts in a drawer a few times and the sensation quickly went away.

Hater

I did - but then I slammed my nuts in a drawer a few times and the sensation quickly went away.

Now THAT made me laugh out loud, choke on my coffee, and make a lame excuse as to why I was a mess!

b]Bizzy[/b] – A lot of us lost weight. Penguin started Miles Against Dip, and he ran like a bastard, I think 2 marathons. I lost a ton and exercised all the time. Bufff (third F for ???) is still running his hairy ass everywhere.. Inspire us Bizzy. We don't want to get fat, but we do want to stop dipping. if you found a way, share it...

I would like to know if there is anyone out there that has actually lost weight while trying to quit... I know most people put on a few pounds which is fine with me if it means I will be dip free. I've been eating healthier since I quit and also be exercising to pass the time. Just wanted to see if anyone out there that has managed to lose a few pounds during the process.

Yes, no, then Yes again. I actually lost about 15 pounds in the first 80 days. But I was in a "Biggest Loser" contest at work and was totally motivated by the $250 I won. By day 160, I had put all of that poundage back on.

8 weeks ago, my company got me involved in a Fittness Clinic (it is ran by a medical Dr.) Through a combination of education, diet, and kick ass personal training, I have lost the 15 pounds again but in a much smarter way (body fat % is down 5 points). In the simplest terms the program is: 1) eat a "heart-healthy" diet 2) Lift weights to build muscle 3) Do cardio for overall fitness and to burn calories. I have another four weeks paid by the company, then I am going to pick it up myself.

Bizzy – A lot of us lost weight. Penguin started Miles Against Dip, and he ran like a bastard, I think 2 marathons. I lost a ton and exercised all the time. Bufff (third F for ???) is still running his hairy ass everywhere.. Inspire us Bizzy. We don't want to get fat, but we do want to stop dipping. if you found a way, share it...

I lost weight for other reasons at first, Bizzy...went from about 205 to 173. But then after 100 or so days, I started putting it back on, until I got back up to 205. I'm much happier with the lower weight, so 12 weeks ago I started a weight loss challenge with some other guys on this site and so far I've lost about 25 pounds again. Still trying to lost that last 5 pounds, and now that the weather is warmer and I can run again, I might just make it!

Well, it's that time of year for some of us...tax time! I finally finished my taxes yesterday. One of the few things I hated worse than doing (and paying) my taxes was being a slave to nicotine. And with the help of this website and the people on it, this was the second year in a row that I was able to do my taxes without a dip in my mouth! Come on and join us, and stop using smokeless tobacco today. The weekend is always a good time to quit!

Oh, and good morning, everybody!

I want to introduce myself to the community. I recently fell off the horse after nearly 2 years. It was one of those "I will just have 1" thing that turned into a couple of months. I have since quit again and will not fall for the "I will just have 1" thing again. I had dipped for about 4 years through college and it became an all the time thing that def. controlled my day. It was basically a crutch to get through the rigors of college, at least what I told myself. It didnt help that at least half of my friends and classmates also chewed and generally had the same mentality. Now that I look back, I am not pleased with the decision and this guilt sometimes haunts me (especially lately).

I am sure that many of you experience the same thoughts when a sore throat appears. This was the latest thing that got me to straight up kick the can out. However, the feelings of guilt and dread for putting myself at risk for oral cancer have come over me, much stronger than the first time I 'quit'. One of the reasons I joined was to hopefully find out more information about the reduction in risk from quitting in a more quantifiable means. Most of the websites out there utilize a scare tactic to get people to quit, but offer no reassurance towards oral cancer to those that have quit on what they can expect besides a general statement. Those websites worked, they have scared the crap out of me. Another question I had is if this is such an 'epidemic' in the eyes of the websites, why is there not any more readily available, free, tests and exams to catch this before it appears to the naked eye? I know there are those light things that can check your mouth, but they are not endorsed by the government and offer only marginal benefit.

I realize oral cancer can happen to anyone and the occurance is relatively low. The information available does not quite tell the entire story and sometimes there seems to be things missing. This includes the reduction in risk of oral cancer after you quit. This also includes the percentage of those each year that only chew tobacco that get oral cancer. Tobacco usage is often lumped together. I don't smoke, never have and never will. How does that lifestyle choice affect the overall risk?

Basically, i am looking for things to put me at ease a bit. I am over what I thought was the hardest part, breaking the habit (again and for the last time). However, the searching for this reassurance that this will greatly help in a way that is more comforting is not there. I would appreciate anyone that would like to comment on any part of my introduction to do so.

Thank you and I look forward to future discussions!

Welcome jacks.

Two quick comments-

1) Regarding the risk of oral cancer being low- I don't know what the statistics are or what the "odds" are of developing oral cancer. But does it really matter what the odds are if you are the one it happens to? You'll hear that discussed often here, and it's true. If the odds hypothetically were one in a million (which of course they aren't), would you take any solace if you were that one that it happened to?

2) I agree with you completely...there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of resources out there for dippers trying to quit. Everything seems to be geared towards smokers, and I don't know why that is. Maybe because smoking is more visible? In fact, that's why I think this site evolved, was because there were tons of resources and quit groups for smokers, but not a whole lot if anything for those trying to quit dipping. And I honestly believe quitting dipping is probably more difficult than quitting smoking, with all due respect to those who have quit smoking.

Either way, welcome to the community. Find your quit group, introduce yourself, and start posting roll call!

I really appreciate all the responses, I am now on day 11 and looking forward to #12. I did my first posting today and have no interest in caving. Your suggested step #1 is something that I live by and the reason I first started looking for help and found this site.

Welcome JacobsDad.

Joxxer is exactly right. Find your group, and start posting roll call. Roll call is your PROMISE to everyone else in the group that you won't use tobacco today. We will worry about tomorrow when tomorrow comes. One day at a time.

Relapsing is a fancy word that seems to glorify and justify the use of tobacco. People tend to use the word "caving" around here instead. Is it part of the process? It doesn't have to be. All of us have tried quitting and have failed at some point. But that doesn't mean it is okay or justified. This board has helped all of us get past the hump. Stay close to it and post everyday. Become a permanent fixture in your group. Act as if this board has the magical key to guarding your life. Because it very well may.

Looking for stories on people caving is just one of the many lies the nicotine bitch is telling you in order to get you to cave. Don't listen.

I'm going to make an assumption based upon your moniker. You have a son named Jacob. If you ever decide quitting is too hard and you decide it's time to cave, follow these two steps first-

1) Carry a picture of Jacob with you at all times. If you ever decide to cave, before you put worm dirt back in your mouth, pull out a picture of Jacob. Look directly at the picture and say "I love dipping more than I love you. Quitting is just too hard. I know there is a chance that you'll have to watch your father die from from oral cancer, but quitting is just too hard and I can't do it."

2) Come to this board and ask everyone in your quit group for permission to cave. Explain to them why it is so much harder for you than it is for the rest of them. After you've convinced everyone, then you can go to the store and buy your can of Crapendoodle.

I'd bet a steak dinner you'd never have to go further than step one. But if you need more proof- follow the link below. Start at the bottom and work your way to the top. It's the Tom Kern story. You'll hear it referenced on this website quite often.

http://www.caringbridge.org/mn/tomkern/history.htm

Wolf Man

Day 58

Hello Everyone - I am a newbie, on day 9 right now and continually battling the demon. Around day 4 I came to this site looking for stories from people who had a relapse, even just one, mainly to justify my urge to "just have one". I somehow rationalized in my head that having a relapse was all part of the quitting experience. Anyway, I only had 20 minutes or so to search but I could not find one reference to anyone having a relapse - I am sure they are there somewhere - but I could not find a single one and that alone helped me stay on track and I was able to beat away the demon another day. I spent 20 years under the spell and it is amazing how many of the postings, stories, lists, etc on this site I can relate to. Anyway, just wanted to say hello and thank all of you for this site, it has definitely helped me stay on course!

Just to prove how our wonderful mind is trained. For 23 years I got up in the morning and the first thing I did was put a chew in. Well after 38 days of quit so far, a facinating thing happened today. I got up, got ready and went to work and about 3 hours after I was up and gone, I realized for the first time in 23 years that putting a chew in never crossed my mind in the morning. I totally blacked it out as if never exist. This also went for the fake snuff too! Amazing and what a really good feeling.

Just to prove how our wonderful mind is trained. For 23 years I got up in the morning and the first thing I did was put a chew in. Well after 38 days of quit so far, a facinating thing happened today. I got up, got ready and went to work and about 3 hours after I was up and gone, I realized for the first time in 23 years that putting a chew in never crossed my mind in the morning. I totally blacked it out as if never exist. This also went for the fake snuff too! Amazing and what a really good feeling.

Ain't it a wonderful thing? I haven't had many of those days, but the ones that I did were sweeter than honey...

BTW, I like your screen name - it reminds of John 10:10 where Jesus says "I have come that you may have life, and have it more abundantly" - and that's one of the things we are after here - a more abundant life, without a ball and chain!

G.

I wanted to say hi and I am starting my quit today. Someone at work who uses this site, Cornucopia is what you know him as, invited me to check it out. So what do I do now? Join a quit group? Lots of good stuff to read here. For the past month he has been printing stuff out to show me. I figured I would just save a few trees and join up.

I wanted to say hi and I am starting my quit today. Someone at work who uses this site, Cornucopia is what you know him as, invited me to check it out. So what do I do now? Join a quit group? Lots of good stuff to read here. For the past month he has been printing stuff out to show me. I figured I would just save a few trees and join up.

Welcome aboard and congratulations on your decision to be free! Best of luck to you! Join a quit group as soon as you can and get to know your fellow quitters. You will be in the July 08 HOF group.

Congrats, John...those time will become more and more prevalent as you get deeper into your quit. Sure, there will still be bad days ahead, but they become fewer and far between. But you're right...it's a sweet feeling when you realize that you are no longer consumed by the thought of getting your nicotine fix first thing in the morning, or other times you used to think you just "had" to have a dip. Have a good weekend!

Just wanted to welcome a couple of our newest members, ragingmako and jacks, to the QSSN family. Stick with us and this site, and you can break the nicotine habit. Anyone else want to join the fun? As they say, the more the merrier! After you register as a member, head over to the July 2008 quit group and introduce yourself there. If you have any questions, you can ask them there, or here, or really anywhere...it doesn't matter, because we all want to help others quit using smokeless tobacco. But if you quit today or recently, you'll hit your 100th quit day (what we call "hitting the Hall of Fame") in July 2008, so that is why that is your group. Everyone there has recently quit just like you, and will be going through similar experiences or withdrawals around the same time as you and you can see you're not alone in what you're experiencing. OK, enough stalling....dump your stash of tobacco (yes, even the hidden or "emergency" cans) and make the commitment today!

Very good i wish i could say the same the morning is the worst for me i have been doing the fake stuff and i think that might be the problem so i think i will set a ouit date for the fake stuff soon but sometimes doing the day i can go half the day without thinking about the crap. Guy

Very good i wish i could say the same the morning is the worst for me i have been doing the fake stuff and i think that might be the problem so i think i will set a ouit date for the fake stuff soon but sometimes doing the day i can go half the day without thinking about the crap. Guy

Guy, don't worry about comparing your quit to others' quits. We each are different. Though there are some similarities in most of us quitters, you cannot assume that just because John had a breakthrough at 38 days that you will, too. Some of us (such as myself) had a very difficult quit (at least, in our minds), and it took us longer to reach the point where we could "close the door" on our habit. But if you stick with it long enough, that day will come for you as well, as long as you don't give nicotine the chance to enter back into your life. And believe me...when you reach that point in your quit, you will really see that it was worth the struggle and fight to get there. Hang tough, Guy...have a good weekend.

Hello Fellow Quiters. If you are new to this site, read, join and belong to this place where Nicotine is not welcome. This site offers an amazing amount of support that will aid in your quit. You can do this. It is not going to be an easy road, but you can do this. Kick the nicotine out of your life and stop being a slave- the payoff is priceless.

I woke up this morning on my 211 day of not having nicotine in my system and felt GREAT. I still have a long way to go on my journey, but I will take it every day, every hour, every minute and every second of every day.

Hope you all have a great "nic" free Saturday.....

JJ1

This is day 13 for me. Regarding the fake stuff, I am not using it this time. I've used it when I tried to quit previously. I recognize that everyone is different, but for what it's worth, for me, it actually seems much easier to quit when I'm not dealing with the fake chew. Of course there are other variables, such as this time I have a remarkably firm conviction that I do not want to chew again. But still, as I look back, it seems that using the fake stuff makes it harder to move on - to get the chewing habit behind you mentally - after the physical withdrawl is passed.

Trudger

The morning can be a terrible habit...I did the same thing: no breakfast, just dip in the shower and while getting ready. I don't miss that!