Quit Smokeless Community
Sign in to follow this  
wolakdapolak

We Got Ourselves a Reader!

"We Got Ourselves a Reader!" - Bill Hick's Quote

What are you guys reading now. I have a huge List from the old thread but we should start all over. Right now I am still reading Science Fiction: Dan Simmons - Olympos - If you like Sci-fi its Great! I highly recommend the Hyperion & Illium Series. After watching the third season of the show LOST I realized that its main influence Is The Stand by Stephen King - which is my all time favorite book. Anyway I would have to say that either a re-read of The Stand is next or Legacy of Ashes: The History of the CIA - by Tom Weiner, has anyone read that?

What are you reading?

currently i'm reading the lord of the rings

never actually read the books

have seen the movies several times, including the animated version

the movie is close, but the timeline is way off

Curently reading Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus. Very interesting book.

My wife and I read that book several years ago. For us the score keeping really explained a lot.

On a related topic- If any of you ever get a chance to see the stage production of "Defending the Caveman" do it. Totally hilarious and - dare I say - accurate?

I don't think it is on tour now, but maybe in a town close to you it is playing.

On a more serious note, I am reading Guns, Germs and Steel by Jerod Diamond. I haven't got too far yet - but it is interesting. My first thought (from the intro) was he set up some straw men just so he could knock them down easily. He has gotten better.

"We Got Ourselves a Reader!" - Bill Hick's Quote

Legacy of Ashes: The History of the CIA - by Tom Weiner, has anyone read that?

What are you reading?

I haven't read it, but if that is the kind of thing you are interested in try "Blind Man's Bluff" by Christopher Drew. It's about submarine espionage. The guy went out and interviewed several hundred people and was able to reconstruct some VERY interesting stories from the bits and pieces. Great book. Reads like fiction, but it's not.

Recently I read "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" and started "Stranger in a Strange Land" by Heinlein, among other things. After those I may go back and begin to read some of the earlier science fiction classics that I either missed, or missed the point of, when I read them when I was younger.

Curently reading Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus. Very interesting book.

My wife and I read that book several years ago. For us the score keeping really explained a lot.

On a related topic- If any of you ever get a chance to see the stage production of "Defending the Caveman" do it. Totally hilarious and - dare I say - accurate?

I don't think it is on tour now, but maybe in a town close to you it is playing.

I also read that many years ago. Not bad as far as relationship books go (not that it helped mine!). I liked how it explained that when they have problems, women like to sit around and talk it out, whereas men like to go to their caves. Whenever I'd get pissed, my ex would want me to talk to her, and that would just make it worse. I'd try to explain if she just left me alone for a bit I'd get over it and come back my usual happy self. Of course, sometimes "going to my cave" was an excuse to get away so I could dip. But that's another story.

I just finished the new John Grisham book "The Appeal." It is his best since "The Firm." I read it in two days.

I just saw that at Sam's Club this weekend. I know Grisham has really gone downhill in the last few books, but saying it was his best since "The Firm" is quite a compliment. I'll have to try to read that, perhaps this summer when I have more free time. Like you, once I start reading a good book, I can't put it down until I've finished it. B)

I just finished the new John Grisham book "The Appeal." It is his best since "The Firm." I read it in two days.

I just saw that at Sam's Club this weekend. I know Grisham has really gone downhill in the last few books, but saying it was his best since "The Firm" is quite a compliment. I'll have to try to read that, perhaps this summer when I have more free time. Like you, once I start reading a good book, I can't put it down until I've finished it. B)

Killer:

The premise is very interesting as it involves a judicial election for a seat on the Mississippi Supreme Court. You will probably be a little peeved at its obvious left-wing bias, but it is still an excellent read. Grisham's last book "Playing for Pizza" was ok too, but nowhere near as entertaining as "The Appeal."

P.S. I still enjoyed "State of Fear" even though Chrichton had an obvious right-wing bias. His other works of late sucked though.

P.S. I still enjoyed "State of Fear" even though Chrichton had an obvious right-wing bias. His other works of late sucked though.

really? i thought that was one of the worst i've read of his. too many different stories to follow, not enough depth.

I read "For Whom The Bell Tolls" again, after several years. There is something about Hemingway and the way he tells a story.

Killer:

The premise is very interesting as it involves a judicial election for a seat on the Mississippi Supreme Court. You will probably be a little peeved at its obvious left-wing bias, but it is still an excellent read. Grisham's last book "Playing for Pizza" was ok too, but nowhere near as entertaining as "The Appeal."

I've read all of his legal stories, and enjoyed them for the most part. I don't care if they're tilted towards the left....a good read is a good read. I read the jacket on "The Appeal". The storyline seems somewhat similar to "The Pelican Brief". Is it?

I'm reading "Sick Puppy" by Carl Hiaasen. Pretty good stuff, if you've ever read the Travis McGee series by John D. MacDonald and liked it, this is a good read.

Killer:

I've read all of his legal stories, and enjoyed them for the most part. I don't care if they're tilted towards the left....a good read is a good read. I read the jacket on "The Appeal". The storyline seems somewhat similar to "The Pelican Brief". Is it?

Mmmm, not really, although I guess that the whole "corporate interest" thing plays into it. This one is all about a political campaign by right-wing interest groups to defeat a moderate-left-leaning justice on the Mississippi Supreme Court with their hand-picked golden boy who will tilt the court in favor of corporate interests and against ambulance chasers. It is a real issue since the U.S. Supreme Court recently ruled that political parties can nominate judges for Minnesota's appellate courts. There is a push in MN to amend the constitution to doing away with contested elections and adopting a retention election system like some other states have done. I think it is a good idea. Anyway, we should restart the attorney's thread to talk about these things.

I'm slowly reading "The American President" by Kathryn Moore. Not as dry as you might think there are lots of interesting tidbits about each Pres. as well as world and national history time lines.

In the Truck I'm listening to "Blaze" By Bauchman/King. He puts it down pretty hard in the forward, but I think it's one of his better works. It has kind of a "mice and man" kinda thing going on. I rate it up there with Shawshank and Greenmile

I am now reading "Mayflower" by Nathaniel Philbrick. Absolutely facsinating. Best non-fic book I've read in years.

I am now reading "Mayflower" by Nathaniel Philbrick. Absolutely facsinating. Best non-fic book I've read in years.

My daughter has read that, she agreed.

I picked up "Whitetail Straregies" by Peter Fiduccia at Half-Price yesterday.

I read books and mags on my obsession, bowhunting.

I'm reading "Sick Puppy" by Carl Hiaasen. Pretty good stuff, if you've ever read the Travis McGee series by John D. MacDonald and liked it, this is a good read.

if you like hiaasen, then give tim dorsey a shot. triggerfish twist is a good start. literally laugh out loud funny stuff.

About a month ago, I read C.J. Box's Blue Heaven, which is probably my favorite book from the mystery/thriller genre.....ever. Fantastic read, and it was enough for me to seek out the rest of his books, which are part of a series. (Heaven was a stand-alone.) His series (seven books total, I think) follow a game warden in Wyoming, Joe Pickett, as he chases the bad guys around in the mountains and wilderness. Great stuff if you love the outdoors.

Top 10 ever.

1) Life of Pi (Yann Martel)

2) Blue Heaven (C.J. Box)

3) A Thousand Splendid Suns (Khaled Hosseini)

4) The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint (Brady Udall)

5) Straight Man (Richard Russo)

6) Empire Falls (Richard Russo)

7) The Kite Runner (Hosseini)

8) The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime (Mark Haddon)

9) The Time Traveler's Wife (Audrey Niffenegar)

10) Angels and Demons (Dan Brown)

(This list is subject to change daily.)

On a more serious note, I am reading Guns, Germs and Steel by Jerod Diamond. I haven't got too far yet - but it is interesting. My first thought (from the intro) was he set up some straw men just so he could knock them down easily. He has gotten better.

Good luck with this book. I have picked it up and put it down a few times. Let me know if you get through it and your thoughts. It is a lot of damn information to soak up. I think there is a discovery series or movie also to go with the book.

Good luck with this book. I have picked it up and put it down a few times. Let me know if you get through it and your thoughts. It is a lot of damn information to soak up. I think there is a discovery series or movie also to go with the book.

I too have started and stopped it many times. I just get tired being told (explicetly or by implication) that I am bad simply because I am a white male in the U.S. But, the topic is pretty interesting.

I've been doing some light reading lately and have found Christophre Moore to be addictive. If you would have told me five years ago that I would read one of his books, I would have said you were crazy.

I too have started and stopped it many times. I just get tired being told (explicetly or by implication) that I am bad simply because I am a white male in the U.S. But, the topic is pretty interesting.

I've been doing some light reading lately and have found Christopher Moore to be addictive. If you would have told me five years ago that I would read one of his books, I would have said you were crazy.

I quite enjoyed "Lamb". My brother swears the rest of his books are damn funny too, but I haven't read any of them. Right now I'm in the middle of "The Year of Living Biblically" by a guy named AJ Jacobs. The premise of the book (it's non-fiction) is basically this guy is a pretty dedicated agnostic, though by heritage he is Jewish. He decided to embark on a spiritual quest by living for a year following the Bible as literally as possible. If you're not familiar with this man, everything he tries is completely over the top, but sincere.

So anyway, the book is basically a day by day account of his experiences and revelations as he tries this. It's pretty good read. Light hearted, and yet not mental junk-food at same time. Not at the end yet, but I'm curious to see where he ends up spiritually by the end of his experiment. Geo recommends.