Quit Smokeless Community
Sign in to follow this  
wolakdapolak

Music - What are you Listening to?

I have recently seen "The Mars Volta" and would have to say that it was one of the best performances i have ever experienced.

If your a fan of progressive music don't let this band go over looked for too long because they are ahead of their time.

Recently I Purchased Black Keys Tickets which I am so psyched about.. If you belong to Facebook, do the iLike Music application and add The Black Keys as a favorite and then you get a couple free live tracks form them.. Facebook and the iLike is a great way to hear new stuff. I just stumbled across the NPR site while searching BK stuff, Check it out:

The Black Keys - Download A 2006 Show From NPR Here.

blackkeys4.jpg

There is alot on this site here are some stuff that caught my eye.

Whole Shows Available for download:

Gomez - http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5496361

The Arcade Fire - http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=7273765

The Arcade Fire 2 - http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=8959522

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5313569

Iron & Wine - http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.p...toryId=14690807

Iron & Wine 2 - http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5029368

Andrew Bird - http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.p...toryId=10213407

Listen Only:

Toot and Maytals - http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.p...toryId=15374266

Modest Mouse: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=9922966

Keb Mo & Mason Jennings: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5411904

Black Rebel MCC - http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5204779

Derek Trucks Band: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5664073

Stripes - http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4834385

Galactic - http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.p...toryId=16269876

Bjork and Death Cab: i saw this but can't find them now

Check it out!

I have recently seen "The Mars Volta" and would have to say that it was one of the best performances i have ever experienced.

If your a fan of progressive music don't let this band go over looked for too long because they are ahead of their time.

I guess I am getting to be an old fart, I have not got into the progressive stuff, still stuck in the 80's hair metal!

I guess I am getting to be an old fart, I have not got into the progressive stuff, still stuck in the 80's hair metal!

I'm with you Kojak Def Leppard and Ratt still rock. I also like old country/blue grass from 1900-70ish, but I love old cowboy ballads; Marty Robbins, Chris LaDoux, Ian tyson, and Red Steagal to name a few

So here it is. It makes me feel great knowing I posted this same thing last year, meaning I am coming up on one year since I quit.

I will again be attending Bonnaroo and here is the lineup. It should have something for everyone, yet I still feel it will be a hippyfest.

Pearl Jam

Metallica

Jack Johnson

Kanye West

Robert Plant & Alison Krauss

Phil Lesh & Friends

My Morning Jacket

The Allman Brothers Band

The Raconteurs

Willie Nelson

Death Cab for Cutie

B.B. King

Sigur Rós

Levon Helm and the Ramble on the Road

Ben Folds

O.A.R.

The Bluegrass Allstars Feat. Luke Bulla, Jerry Douglas, Bela Fleck, Edgar Meyer and Bryan Sutton

M.I.A.

Umphrey's McGee

Iron & Wine

Yonder Mountain String Band

Swell Season

Talib Kweli

Derek Trucks & Susan Tedeschi's Soul Stew Revival

Gogol Bordello

Broken Social Scene

Robert Randolph's Revival

Rilo Kiley

Mastodon

Lupe Fiasco

Against Me!

Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings

Pat Green

Ozomatli

Tegan & Sara

Solomon Burke

Drive-By Truckers

!!!

The Avett Brothers

Israel Vibration

Abigail Washburn & the Sparrow Quartet featuring Bela Fleck

Phil Lesh / Larry Campbell / Jackie Greene

Aimee Mann

Ladytron

The Fiery Furnaces

Orchestra Baobab

Ghostland Observatory

Jose Gonzalez

Dark Star Orchestra

Minus the Bear

Donavon Frankenreiter

Lez Zeppelin

State Radio

Battles

Jakob Dylan

Two Gallants

The Sword

Vampire Weekend

Little Feat

Nicole Atkins

The Felice Brothers

Mason Jennings

MGMT

The Lee Boys

Black Kids

Serena Ryder

Steel Train

Grupo Fantasma

Back Door Slam

I'm with you Kojak Def Leppard and Ratt still rock. I also like old country/blue grass from 1900-70ish, but I love old cowboy ballads; Marty Robbins, Chris LaDoux, Ian tyson, and Red Steagal to name a few

I guess we are still aginig ourselves some by even knowing who Marty Robbins is! We will have to go buy a white sport coat and a pink carnation! B)

I guess we are still aginig ourselves some by even knowing who Marty Robbins is! We will have to go buy a white sport coat and a pink carnation! B)

More along the lines of "Say mister my friend or maybe you'd rather be dead"

So here it is. It makes me feel great knowing I posted this same thing last year, meaning I am coming up on one year since I quit.

I will again be attending Bonnaroo and here is the lineup. It should have something for everyone, yet I still feel it will be a hippyfest.

Damn!! That line up sure has changed since I went to bonnaroo about 4 years ago. It is more diverse...I kinda like it.

Pearl Jam

Metallica

The Allman Brothers Band

B.B. King

Those are my favortie four groups in there respective genres. Those 4 alone are worth the trip. Maybe I can talk my wife into going again...

Thanks for the heads up bro!!

Ohhhh!! Long live the Music Thread!!!!

Motivation workout song of the morning: Double shot of the Crue "Live Wire" and "Keep Your Eye on the Money" Two of my cardio favorites!

Motivation workout song of the morning: Double shot of the Crue "Live Wire" and "Keep Your Eye on the Money" Two of my cardio favorites!

I just loaded up my Ipod with some good Allman Brothers tunes for my 12 hour drive to NY..

Two of my favorites. Desdemona and Dreams I'll Never See....

I just loaded up my Ipod with some good Allman Brothers tunes for my 12 hour drive to NY..

I am going to have to check these out, can't remember them at the moment.

Right now, I can't stop listening to Jack Johnson's latest, "Sleep Through the Static". Great, great album.

Other favorites: Wilco, Son Volt, M. Ward, Richard Buckner, Foo Fighters, Beatles, Damien Rice.

There's more, but these are the bands I currently have on my tiny iPod.

Foo Fighters are pretty good in my book.

But, I'm still more of a Lamb of God, Chimaira, Slipknot fan myself. There's more, just too half-assed to type them out. B)

Has anyone seen the crossroads with

Robert Plant & Alison Krauss?

Pretty decent stuff. From the parts I saw it was very dark. Cool as hell though.

Did you check them out? Do ya dig 'em?

I love the Allmans and anything Allmans related (Mule, etc).

I know I posted This a while back but it is worth a look again. Simply great... Inspired me to get off my ass and concentrate on my slide playing.

Pretty easy to play (for the most part) once you put your mind to it.

It had been a while but I remembered after hearing them, good choices for mellowing out. I don't think I could drive to that, I would fall asleep!

It had been a while but I remembered after hearing them, good choices for mellowing out. I don't think I could drive to that, I would fall asleep!

Short distances I like to pump it up a little with some tool, old Metallica etc..

Long drives I like the blues, Allmans, Govt Mule...Something a little more laid back so I'm not raging the whole time...I just sit back and drive!!

Short distances I like to pump it up a little with some tool, old Metallica etc..

Long drives I like the blues, Allmans, Govt Mule...Something a little more laid back so I'm not raging the whole time...I just sit back and drive!!

Dreams is my favorite song, it makes me want to go hiking and forget about the world everytime bro!

There is a live King Curtis "Soul Serenade" tune on the "Dreams Box Set Disk 3" called "You Don't Love Me/Soul Serenade [Wpli Broadcast - live]"

Fucking unreal jam 19:29! King Curtis = Allmans, Stevie Wonder and Zeppelin

King Curtis, the blues and soul musician, bandleader and composer, died early yesterday morning of stab wounds received during a fight with a man on the stoop of a brownstone he owned at 50 West 86th Street. - 1971

Before greg allman plays this tune he tells you a bit about Stevie Wonder playing Soul Serenade at the King's funeral with Aretha. pretty cool shit.. I have many live Allman's songs but this one takes the cake.. its the best of the best. i can recommend more if you dig this one.. turn it up loud.. @ 13 minutes it unfolds into a nasty ass AB phatt jam.. classic dueling guitars and drums they of course the ending lock out.

Dreams is my favorite song, it makes me want to go hiking and forget about the world everytime bro!

There is a live King Curtis "Soul Serenade" tune on the "Dreams Box Set Disk 3" called "You Don't Love Me/Soul Serenade [Wpli Broadcast - live]"

Fucking unreal jam 19:29! King Curtis = Allmans, Stevie Wonder and Zeppelin

King Curtis, the blues and soul musician, bandleader and composer, died early yesterday morning of stab wounds received during a fight with a man on the stoop of a brownstone he owned at 50 West 86th Street. - 1971

Before greg allman plays this tune he tells you a bit about Stevie Wonder playing Soul Serenade at the King's funeral with Aretha. pretty cool shit.. I have many live Allman's songs but this one takes the cake.. its the best of the best. i can recommend more if you dig this one.. turn it up loud.. @ 13 minutes it unfolds into a nasty ass AB phatt jam.. classic dueling guitars and drums they of course the ending lock out.

No doubt, that is one of my favorites as well. Dreams box set is the bomb, got it on ebay for $23...Yeah!!

I just got done reading Midnight Rider, the story of the Allman Brothers....Awesome book. I would have given anything to be in Macon Georgia in the early 70's...Those boys partied hard...

I wish I could have seen Duane...Although, I'm happy with Warren.

Have you heard the Wilson Pickett version of Hey Jude where Duane was playing in the house band at Muscle Schoals Studios? This was pre-ABB. His slide work at the end of the song w/ Picketts screaming vocals is killer...