Quit Smokeless Community
Sign in to follow this  
Flavius Victor

Roll Call

Feeling Tired or Fatigued - Our body is shedding the effects of being under years of dependence upon a powerful stimulant and the process of withdrawal and readjustment can be physically and emotionally exhausting. We're also experiencing changes in basic metabolism as heart rate and respiration have rapidly returned to normal. Time distortion, awaiting that next crave episode, using anger or fear to try and generate adrenaline that we sense is missing, possible sleep disruption, it isn't at all unusual to feel a bit drained during the first few days but after that you should begin feeling much better with more energy than you may have felt in years.

Just as recovering from any other illness, the body and mind need time to heal. Moderate exercise can act as a natural pick-me-up and also help us sleep better. We need to allow ourselves additional rest, extended sleep or even a nap. "Glory Week" can consume tremendous energy.

It is not normal to continue feeling tired or fatigued three weeks after starting your journey and there are many potential causes ranging from improper diet, blood sugar problems, medications in need of possible adjustment after ending the use of the 4,000+ chemicals present in tobacco chew (including nicotine), an underlying condition that was being masked and hidden by those same 4,000 chemicals, or by other coincidental conditions that just happened to occur and have nothing whatsoever to do with ending tobacco or nicotine use.

Keep it going you all – these obstacles such as fatigue or insomnia eventually go away and work themselves out. Your body is healing and having to learn to function without relying on nicotine. Be patient, this too shall pass.

Rob

Trouble Sleeping or Insomnia - Nicotine is a powerful drug that affects subconscious thought, brain waves, the depth of sleep, and can even affect dreams. The disturbance of "normal" sleep patterns can occur during physical withdrawal or new patterns may be established as you return to your body's true level of need. You may find that you don't need nearly as much sleep as you did while chewing. Are you still tired or just sleeping less?

It's important to understand that nicotine Chewers need twice the amount of caffeine in order to achieve the same effect as a non-Chewer. Nicotine indirectly causes caffeine to metabolize (to be depleted) at a rate twice that of non-Chewers. If you're a heavy caffeine user who attempts to continue using caffeine at the same amount as you did while using nicotine, you may find yourself not only having difficulty sleeping but probably climbing every wall in sight. Here's a Freedom message thread discussing the issue in far more depth.

Relaxation through mind clearing and slow deliberate breathing can help induce sleep. Mental relaxation can be as simple as slowly clearing your mind of all other thoughts by focusing exclusively on a single object or color. If your sleep continues to be disrupted and is affecting your health, safety or performance then turn to your physician or pharmacist for assistance. Don't allow sleep to be your mind's junkie excuse to destroy your quest to meet and become comfortable as "you" again.

Quitting Methods - Who to Believe?

Who should you believe on what is the most successful technique for quitting chewing - the government and most chewing cessation experts in the world and the professional health organizations of the world and the pharmacological industry and almost anyone whose career seems to be based in chewing cessation or me?

I guess using this standard it would be best not to believe me. But before jumping ship there is one other important group of people that you may find that will back me up and who are already quite credible to you. It's the people in your family and your friends in your real world who have successfully quit chewing and been off all nicotine products for at least one year or longer.

Find out how the people you know who are long-term ex-chewers actually stopped chewing. By long-term I mean people who are currently off all nicotine for at least a year or longer. You'll likely find that few if any of them have ever heard of me. You will see that many of them had previous quits and relapsed, using all sorts of methods that are endorsed by professionals and maybe even a few of them had professional help with previous attempts. You will find that almost all of them did not follow what is considered the standard recommended advice on how to quit yet they did quit and are still going strong. You'll find that they most likely quit by simply stopping chewing one day for one reason or another and then have been able to stay off by sticking to a commitment that they made to themselves to not take a dip.

Talk to every long-term ex-chewer you know. Do your own surveys. While you are at it, talk to the current chewers you know too. See how many of them have used products and followed the advice of the professionals. Keep in mind, most professional literature will advise people to use pharmacologic aids like nicotine replacement products. Try to see how many long-term successful quitters in your real world encounters actually followed this advice.

Another piece of advice written in most literature produced by chewing cessation experts is something to the effect that temporary slips are common and that you should not let a slip put you back to chewing. People who write advice like this do not understand addiction. A person needs to understand that taking a chew is likely going to kill a quit.

Try to find one chewer who once had quit but is now chewing again who didn't one day take a dip. Finding one such person who fits this criteria is going to take you forever. On the other hand finding current chewers you know who had once had quits that actually lasted for months, years or decades who lost their quits by taking that first dip are quite easy to find. Understand, some of these people had heard comments like, "don't let a slip make you go back to chewing," but sadly, found out from experience that they had little control of the matter once they took that first chew.

Our advice, if to successfully quit chewing, is to simply stop chewing. Our advice for staying off chew is simply to stick to a commitment to never take another dip. So talk to long-term ex-chewers and find out how they quit and hear how they have managed to stay off. Pretty soon you will see it is not a matter of pitting all of the world professionals against me. It becomes a matter of pitting every long-term ex-chewer you know who has successfully quit against the world's professionals. Do the surveys and then I will just become another voice in the crowd of real people who have proven to you that the way to quit chewing and to stay chew free is to Never Take Another chew!

p. 122

This document was created by John R. Polito, editor of www.whyquit.com and presenter of bimonthly free quit smoking seminars at the College of Charleston. These tips were developed primarily from recent medical studies and from Joel's Library (http://whyquit.com/joel), an insightful collection of 95 short quitting articles available for download as a free electronic PDF book at WhyQuit.com (http://whyquit.com/joel/ntap.pdf). Be sure to share this booklet with friends and loved ones who smoke. Not being able to discover the law of addiction through the school of hard-quitting-knocks is a horrible reason to die. This may be reproduced and shared for health education purposes so long as it is not used for commercial purposes and there is never any charge or cost to recipients.

I Have to Chew

Because of All My Stress!

Stress is considered a cause for chewing by many people. Actually, chewing is a cause of stress. Recent correspondence dealt with reasons people give for going back to chewing: social situations, parties, alcohol consumption and stress. This month I wish to amplify on stress.

In January of 1979, Chicago and vicinity was devastated by a major blizzard. Heavy snows fell just after the New Year crippling the area. Additional snowfall continued throughout the week. During this time period I was barraged with phone calls from participants of the November, 1978 clinic claiming to be terribly nervous, upset and anxious from "not chewing." Curiously, most of them were feeling well during the month of December. They had occasional urges which lasted only seconds and were quite easy to overcome. What they were experiencing in January was different. Many felt that they were on the verge of cracking up. To them life was "just no good" without their chew. Was the anxiety they were now experiencing really a side effect from giving up chewing?

To any outside observer the answer to the mysterious intensification of perceived withdrawal was obvious. In fact, if our ex-chewers listened to radio or television or read the front page of any newspaper, they would have encountered a story on cabin fever. By simply comparing their symptoms with those accompanying cabin fever they would understand what was happening.

Attributing the anxiety to chewing cessation was transference of blame. In fact, they were having a normal reaction to an abnormal situation - confinement due to the blizzard. They would have had the same anxiety whether or not they had given up chew.

The above story illustrates an atypical time period in which numerous people experience similar complaints. In everyday life inherent problems exist. Work, family, friends, and money can all contribute to daily distress. Ex-chewers often think that if they just take a chew during a stressful episode the situation will be solved. For example, consider a person who finds he has a flat tire in a parking lot during a freezing rain. When encountering this kind of misfortune, the ex-chewer's first reaction often is, "I need a chew." What will actually solve this problem is changing the tire, and driving off in a warm car. What would a chew do to help this situation? It only makes the person see the flat tire longer and freeze more. This adds up to greater frustration. The first dip will probably reinforce the addiction to chew which is a much greater crisis than the flat tire ever was. In fact, taking the first dip almost always results in a bigger problem than the crisis that "caused" them to take the dip. Even in a real catastrophe, such as a death in the family, injuries, illnesses, flooding resulting in major property loss, bankruptcy and so on, a chew will not solve the problem. It will just add another major problem to the originally bad situation.

Remember, chewing cannot solve problems of daily living. No matter what the problem, there is a more effective way of solving it than chewing. In fact, a chewer's health risks are a real problem that can only be solved if they - NEVER TAKE ANOTHER DIP!

Joel

© Joel Spitzer 1982, 2000

Page last updated by Joel Spitzer on August 24, 2003 – P126

Sunday May 25, 2007

TODAY IS THE DAY TO QUIT ROLL CALL

QUITTERS

SUPPORTERS

WWB 243 - Come on, join the fun. Look, If I can do it, so can you!

Sunday May 25, 2007

QUITTERS

SUPPORTERS

imskratty - 473 - jump in, the quittin's fine

Sunday May 25, 2007

QUITTERS

SUPPORTERS

Pjsmitty - 334, Who will be the first in this group?

Sunday May 25, 2007

QUITTERS

SUPPORTERS

Muddler -273- Today is the perfect day - Make it chewless.

Sunday May 25, 2007

QUITTERS

SUPPORTERS

Wolf Man- day 104- just hit reply below...then put your name and day 1 below "quitters"...it's that easy!

Sunday May 25, 2007

QUITTERS

SUPPORTERS

Wolf Man- day 104- just hit reply below...then put your name and day 1 below "quitters"...it's that easy!

Daddy-O - 99 - Seems echoey in here. Where are all the quitters..quitters..quitters. Come on in..in..in

Sunday May 25, 2007

QUITTERS

SUPPORTERS

Daddy-O - 99 - Seems echoey in here. Where are all the quitters..quitters..quitters. Come on in..in..in

NMB -182- Today's a great day to quit! You will never regret quitting!

Sunday May 25, 2007

QUITTERS

SUPPORTERS

Bigmoe - 94 - Jump in and embrace the suck.

Sunday May 25, 2007

QUITTERS

SUPPORTERS

Rodeo timer - 618 Jump on in, the waters fine - be the first to lead a new group to the HOF!

Sunday May 25, 2007

QUITTERS

SUPPORTERS

Rodeo timer - 618 Jump on in, the waters fine - be the first to lead a new group to the HOF!

Kurt Kiefer - 30 - We've all been there, now we are here for you!!!

Sunday May 25, 2007

QUITTERS

SUPPORTERS

Dfreebp - Day 78 - Take the Plunge, will be one of the best decisions you will ever make!

OK'

Who's gonna be the first September Ass Bandit ?

Sunday May 25, 2007

QUITTERS

SUPPORTERS

Dfreebp - Day 78 - Take the Plunge, will be one of the best decisions you will ever make!

OK'

Who's gonna be the first September Ass Bandit ?

I thought I was your first September Ass Bandit...or was that just for '07?

Monday May 26, 2007

QUITTERS

SUPPORTERS

Pjsmitty - 335, let's go quiters!

Monday May 26, 2007

QUITTERS

SUPPORTERS

Muddler -274- Today is a good day to quit.

Monday May 26, 2007

QUITTERS

SUPPORTERS

Bigmoe - 95 - Here we go quitters, here we go!

Monday May 26, 2007

QUITTERS

Gryllus - 2 - Second serious attempt to quit what is now a 28 year addiction.

SUPPORTERS

Monday May 26, 2007

QUITTERS

SUPPORTERS

Dfreebp - 79- Alright this group is in business!!

Monday May 26, 2007

QUITTERS

SUPPORTERS

Dfreebp - 79- Alright this group is in business!!

Koz-125- Great choice Gryllus, stick with us, we will help!!