Quit Smokeless Community
Sign in to follow this  
Copper

Guns

I have been thinking for awhile that it would be nice to have a gun thread on here. Recently, a couple of other members have stated an interest in shooting sports.

If you are interested in guns for protection, hunting or just as a hobby, post up.

When I have some more time, I will download some of my most favorite guns and I look forward to seeing some of yours.

I am an armorer and firearms instructor for my department, so if you have any gun related questions, I'll try my best to answer them.

Even though it's not mine, this is one of my favorite photos.

This is a real Auto Ordinance Thompson sub machine gun (Tommy gun).

We got a call from a lady who said someone was shooting automatic weapons near her house. I believed that someone was just out target shooting with a semi-automatic, but went on the call anyway (not illegal to shoot a gun outside of the city limits)

I arrived and found a couple of guys shooting the Tommy gun. As soon as one saw me, he quickly got out his class 3 license (to own an automatic weapon) and driver's license. Turns out, his great grandfather had this from WW2.

It had just been appraised at $17,000.

I suppose they saw the look of envy in my eyes, and the owner said, "Wanna shoot it"?

It wasn't long until everyone from my shift was out there shooting that gun and getting pictures made with it.

One of the best calls I have been on in 15 years.

Here's the picture of me shooting it: (That was 5 years ago before the dip free weight hit me B) )

Thompson.jpg

Copper,

I didn't know there was such a thing as a class 3 license. I guess you learn something new every day.

I got the Glock 21SF. I had read about the regular 21 being a little bulky for some people with smaller hands so I'm hoping my wife will be able to handle the SF. She has pretty big hands for a woman and is 5-10, so we'll see.

I'm heading up north deer hunting for 10 days starting Thursday. I hope to do quite a bit of target practice with the new toy too.

What .45 rounds do you recommend for home defense? What about regular target shooting? I got 200 rounds of Remington 230 grain FMJ to shoot up next week. I'm sure I'll be running to buy more.

One thing you'll quickly realize if this is your first GLOCK is that it will eat anything you feed it. They are extremely reliable and normally only jam if the user does something wrong (limp wristing is the most common jam, especially in the 45.)

Make sure you remind your wife to lock her wrist. If not, it won't cycle properly and jam.

About bullet selection, you really can't go wrong with a 45. I was really disappointed when the Government went to 9mm after years of the 45. Of course, NATO requires ball ammunition, and I prefer a 45 ball round over a 9mm.

We carry Winchester Ranger SXT. It is supposed to be a "Law Enforcement Only" round, but I have seen it at gun shows and gun stores. It has done really well in gelatin tests. If you remember the infamous Black Talon, this is the Black Talon without the black Teflon bullet (Politically correct BS)

Remington Golden Sabre is another great round.

CCI/Speer Gold Dot are also great rounds and have been nicknamed "the flying ashtray".

As far as practice rounds, use whatever is the cheapest.

This is gonna be a cool thread, Truckerick is here!

Good idea Copper.

I shot my AR for the first time this weekend and had a blast with it set up on red dot sights. The next time I take it out I'm going to try it with the standard handle/peep sights. Here's a question for you: what should I expect for a single adjustment, 1 click = 1/3" @ 100yds maybe? The manual does not state what this is going to be. What is typical for these?

Copper,

I didn't know there was such a thing as a class 3 license. I guess you learn something new every day.

There really isn't. He had a certificate that said he was legal to possess a class 3 weapon (Machinegun, suppressor, short barreled rifle & short barreled shotgun) He had paid his $200 transfer tax, completed his Form 4, and had a sworn affidavit with the Sheriff's approval.

Good idea Copper.

I shot my AR for the first time this weekend and had a blast with it set up on red dot sights. The next time I take it out I'm going to try it with the standard handle/peep sights. Here's a question for you: what should I expect for a single adjustment, 1 click = 1/3" @ 100yds maybe? The manual does not state what this is going to be. What is typical for these?

I had to check because I wasn't sure for your particular scope. My EOTech is 0.5 @ 100 yards.

Your scope is 1/3 @ 100 yards, which would mean that if you are sighting it in at 25 yards you would move it 4 clicks to equal the same distance at 100 yards.

Those red dots are great, aren't they. I love mine. Main reason we went with them is because in close quarters, you can leave both eyes open, which will let you not only see what your aiming at, but also see an aggressor coming from the side.

They aren't too fun at long ranges, though. The dot on my EOTech pretty much covers an 8 inch plate at 100 yards.

About bullet selection, you really can't go wrong with a 45. I was really disappointed when the Government went to 9mm after years of the 45. Of course, NATO requires ball ammunition, and I prefer a 45 ball round over a 9mm.

My first pistol qualification in the Marines was with a .45. Next one was with the 9mm. Much easier to qualify with a 9mm, but I'm with you on the rounds.

My first pistol qualification in the Marines was with a .45. Next one was with the 9mm. Much easier to qualify with a 9mm, but I'm with you on the rounds.

That was the reason they told us for switching from the 1911 to the Beretta.

I bought a Beretta after I got out of the military and love it. I don't carry it (too heavy compared to the Glock, but it is a sweet shooting pistol, and the slide is so smooth it feels like it is on glass when you cycle it.

Hey Copper,

Thanks for starting the thread. It' going to be a good one. I have a sneaking suspicion that there's alot of gun owner at this site. I carry don't own a handgun because I'd first like to research and jump the CCW hurdle. I think this will next to impossible in CA.

Hey Copper,

Thanks for starting the thread. It' going to be a good one. I have a sneaking suspicion that there's alot of gun owner at this site. I carry don't own a handgun because I'd first like to research and jump the CCW hurdle. I think this will next to impossible in CA.

Depending on what happens Tuesday, it may be hard for just about anyone.

I respect your decision not to purchase a gun until you have researched and trained. Sounds like you'll be a responsible gun owner.

Holler at me if you need any help with the decision.

My Glock is pretty tight now. How many rounds does it take to break them in?

I just ordered 500 rounds of Blazer ammo for target practice and I also got 2 boxes of the Federal LE Tactical HST +P hollow points for home defense. The site I got them from said due to extremely high demand there is a 2 day shipping delay right now. Get em while you can!

I just ordered 500 rounds of Blazer ammo for target practice and I also got 2 boxes of the Federal LE Tactical HST +P hollow points for home defense. The site I got them from said due to extremely high demand there is a 2 day shipping delay right now. Get em while you can!

It really doesn't require a break in. The magazine springs will be so strong it will be hard to get the last round in, but it will eventually loosen up. The recoil spring will also lighten up a bit. Just a reminder, don't clean up the gold stuff on the rails of your slide. It is a special Glock lubricant. Glock just recommends that you let it wear itself off with time. Some say your gun is broken in when it wears off (200-300 rounds)

If you have already wiped it off, no worry. Just give it a little oil and it'll be fine but don't use too much oil.

Also, dry firing will not hurt your Glock, so practice that trigger pull (with a safe and unloaded weapon, of course B)!

Good idea Copper.

I had to check because I wasn't sure for your particular scope. My EOTech is 0.5 @ 100 yards.

Your scope is 1/3 @ 100 yards, which would mean that if you are sighting it in at 25 yards you would move it 4 clicks to equal the same distance at 100 yards.

Those red dots are great, aren't they. I love mine. Main reason we went with them is because in close quarters, you can leave both eyes open, which will let you not only see what your aiming at, but also see an aggressor coming from the side.

They aren't too fun at long ranges, though. The dot on my EOTech pretty much covers an 8 inch plate at 100 yards.

Thanks Copper, but I already knew that about the red dot sights - that was in the instructions. I was talking about the carrying handle/peep sight that originaly came with my AR. Do you know what one click equals on these?

By the way, what exactly does it mean to "qualify" with a pistol in law enforcement?

I'm in fellers...

Just went out on Saturday to unload a truck load of clay birds at the club I'm pledging to get into. 1500 boxes in 35 minutes. That was awesome to be a part of.

Wish I could get out today or tomorrow to shoot since it's going to be 75 degrees. YAY global warming!

Thanks Copper. One other question. Does it hurt the magazine spring at all to leave it loaded for an extended period of time? I'm leaving it in the gunvault but wondering if I should alternate mags once in a while.

Thanks Copper. One other question. Does it hurt the magazine spring at all to leave it loaded for an extended period of time? I'm leaving it in the gunvault but wondering if I should alternate mags once in a while.

I've always wanted to know the answer to this question too.

Nice work Copper? Will pull out the 20 guage so I can have some questins and participate. I used to love shooting clay pigeons, drinking beer, and dipping on sunday am listening to nfl on tailgate of truck. Now I will do that again but less beer and now chew...and will do it for many more years because my health is so much better!

Great thread Copper!!! Way to go!!!

-Freeman

It really doesn't require a break in. The magazine springs will be so strong it will be hard to get the last round in, but it will eventually loosen up. The recoil spring will also lighten up a bit. Just a reminder, don't clean up the gold stuff on the rails of your slide. It is a special Glock lubricant. Glock just recommends that you let it wear itself off with time. Some say your gun is broken in when it wears off (200-300 rounds)

If you have already wiped it off, no worry. Just give it a little oil and it'll be fine but don't use too much oil.

Also, dry firing will not hurt your Glock, so practice that trigger pull (with a safe and unloaded weapon, of course B)!

I've always wanted to know the answer to this question too.

The springs used in current production magazines from reputable manufactures don't suffer from "compression" problems.

That problem was common in the past because they used a different type of steel to make the springs.

You can now leave modern magazines fully loaded for a very long time without worrying about them "taking a set".

If you are still concerned with this happening, then simply rotate your magazines every 6 months or so and you'll still be fine.

There are other opinions, I'm sure. Here's one from another shooter:

If your magazine has a capacity of 12, don't go beyond 2/3rds full capacity and you won't put excess strain on the spring. I usually go with 8 plus the one in the chamber.

Then just carry extra mags (I carry two extras plus the one in my piece). If I ever have to reach for that third magazine, I'm hoping it'll get me the hell out of Dodge or the last round is for me.

That was a long weekend of work. I'm awake now and glad it's over.

Truckerick is exactly right on the spring issue. I have every one of my magazines loaded full and have never had a problem. Over time (I'm talking about 6 years in some of my mags) I can tell they aren't as tight as new, but still function fine.

When/if they get to the point of not having enough snap to cycle a round, I'll just buy the magazine springs for 3 bucks from Glock. That will basically give you a brand new magazine.

Nice work Copper? Will pull out the 20 guage so I can have some questins and participate. I used to love shooting clay pigeons, drinking beer, and dipping on sunday am listening to nfl on tailgate of truck. Now I will do that again but less beer and now chew...and will do it for many more years because my health is so much better!

Great thread Copper!!! Way to go!!!

-Freeman

A God fearin', truck drivin', conservative lovin', clay pigeon shootin' Californian? I think you have been misplaced and somehow woke up in California. Are you my long lost brother from Texas? B)

Thanks Copper, but I already knew that about the red dot sights - that was in the instructions. I was talking about the carrying handle/peep sight that originaly came with my AR. Do you know what one click equals on these?

Whoops, my bad. You sound mad, someone piss you off in the political forum? B)

Everything is in meters and is based on the USMC 25 meter zero target.

Each square on the target is 3/8 inch, and 3 clicks moves one box.

Once zeroed at 25 meters with the 25 m. target, you are zeroed at 300 meters.

That is going completely off memory, but I will see if I can find something written in stone.

Whoops, my bad. You sound mad, someone piss you off in the political forum? B)

Everything is in meters and is based on the USMC 25 meter zero target.

Each square on the target is 3/8 inch, and 3 clicks moves one box.

Once zeroed at 25 meters with the 25 m. target, you are zeroed at 300 meters.

That is going completely off memory, but I will see if I can find something written in stone.

I wasn't mad buddy. Sounds like one click equals 1/8" @ 25 meters (or 27 yards). Thanks. This should be enough, I just wanted a reference point to start from.

I wasn't mad buddy. Sounds like one click equals 1/8" @ 25 meters (or 27 yards). Thanks. This should be enough, I just wanted a reference point to start from.

Well, get mad. We are clinging to our religion and guns, remember?

You ought to consider buying an ARMS flip up sight. I have one and it will co-witness perfectly with your sight. You should never just rely on a battery powered scope (Murphy says it will run out of batteries during a fire fight).

Here is a link to the flip up sight I've got

Mounts directly to your flat top and you can get rid of your carry handle.

Well, get mad. We are clinging to our religion and guns, remember?

You ought to consider buying an ARMS flip up sight. I have one and it will co-witness perfectly with your sight. You should never just rely on a battery powered scope (Murphy says it will run out of batteries during a fire fight).

Here is a link to the flip up sight I've got

Mounts directly to your flat top and you can get rid of your carry handle.

I have been investigating doing just that with a flip up sight. I'm starting to understand how all this stuff works together and the many multitudes of varying setup options - it's like sex in a harem... you can't figure out which one you want! How far can you realisticaly be accurate with flip up peeps?

On the other hand, I like the carry handle... it's so sexy and cool! Plus it's rugged as hell. I always want it for an option.

I was studying the elevation adjustment knob very closely on the carry handle just a bit ago and noticed it is marked with numbers. At fully flat there is a "6/3" stamp and as you rotate around raising elevation it has "4" and "5" stamped equally spaced. Do you know what these are for other than general reference markers?

I like the link on the flip up. What kind of tactical red dot sights do you have?