Quit Smokeless Community
Sign in to follow this  
Flavius Victor

The Cafe - 2009

Hey Guys, I Have looked at a lot of sites tonight. This one seems to be a good place to start. I just spit out my last chew. I want so bad to quit, and I have tried several times. Started when I was 14, after 25 years I Have had enough. So now what do I do? I'm looking for some help and guidance from those who have succeeded.

Hey Guys, I Have looked at a lot of sites tonight. This one seems to be a good place to start. I just spit out my last chew. I want so bad to quit, and I have tried several times. Started when I was 14, after 25 years I Have had enough. So now what do I do? I'm looking for some help and guidance from those who have succeeded.

Welcome, hoghead. You are making the correct choice.

Now that you have decided to quit the next step is easy. Go to the Quit Groups link and join the April 2009 HOF group. Join up with those new quitters and together in April - you will have been nicotine free for 100 days. Looking forward to seeing you post roll call there. Here is the link with directions.

Welcome, hoghead. You are making the correct choice.

Now that you have decided to quit the next step is easy. Go to the Quit Groups link and join the April 2009 HOF group. Join up with those new quitters and together in April - you will have been nicotine free for 100 days. Looking forward to seeing you post roll call there. Here is the link with directions.

Hey HogHead69!

You've come to the right website. Lot of us quitters in the same class. We'll be at 100 days in April. Follow those directions Muddler gave you and go introduce yourself.

See you in the April 2009 forum. Come ready to get the monkey off your back once and for all. No retreat, no surrender. Fock out!

-Abdul

HogHead,

I went back and copied something I posted last week in the cafe here. It gives summary about what the site has to offer. You will see plenty of great advice flying around the cafe here, as well as your quit group and other quit groups if you venture in to read or participate with them. As well, we have other areas in here with single posts of encouragement and success stories. There is way more that happens here other than what I wrote below, but it is a starting point for you and it may help you understand the tools you have available here, to use in your quit.

Welcome to the site and congratulations on your decision. Just remember YOU CAN do this...no matter how hard it gets, we do NOT need tobacco in our lives, no matter what the situation is.

"Good morning...

Alot of visitors checking out the site in the wee hours of this early January Sunday Morning! This time of the year tends to bring the most visitors and guests to the site (in my opinion). And there is nothing wrong with that. Sometimes we need a special moment in time (the start of a brand new year) to get us thinking about change...a change for the better!

Take some time checking out the site. It has alot to offer you in your quest to become dip free! This CAFE is a great place to come and ask questions about the site (I do believe you have to register a screenname in order to post, but it's free, so why not create a user name?) It's also a place you can come and support and encourage others or recieve encouragement, advice or support yourself! We have a few talented writers who graces us every few weeks with a written treasure of encouragement and motivation and advise.

The QUIT GROUPS are arranged by months. Each day being quit is an accomplishment in and of itself. And it is definitely something to celebrate! I personally, encourage quitters to create many short term goals...the more short term goals, the more reasons you have to celebrate! And celebrating positive accomplishments makes us want to be more successful! The first BIG, BIG MILESTONE that many of the quitters here focus on is day 100. It's a nice, round and even number....It's a triple digit...but most importantly, it gives you the opportunity to experience multiple levels and stages in your quit. After a few weeks of quitting, you will develop a cycle of good days and days that you still crave the addiction. The good days start to get longer adn the "bad" days get shorter and easier to handle...but within that 100 day stretch, you start to get a handle for what the rest of your quit will be like (for the most part). We call day 100 your Hall Of Fame day. The quit group you would become a member of, would be the month/year that you will hit your Hall Of Fame day. Current quitters posting a day 1 are in the April09 HOF group (If I am doing my math correctly). Another reason for creating groups in this manner is so that the members of the group are either going through exactly the same thing at the same time, or just recently went through the same thing....so there is a common ground between those members. It's hard for quitters on day 80 to remember exactly how rough day 2 of the quit was....it's a bit easier for someone at day 20 to remember how day 2 was.

We have a section of wildcard threads or other topics of discussion that becomes a place we can discuss topics other than quitting, get to know other members on the site, and give us, an often times, needed break from our battle. It's not designed as a place for us to leave our guard down, just a place we can interact on other topics or gain insight on other things (even things that still relate to our quits). A place we can discuss sports or hobbies or just hang out.

And another great section to the site is the Articles and HOF speech sections. The speeches are written my members who achieve their HOF day. They are full of encouragement, support, advice, hope, and stories that could very well reflect your own life story about dipping. They offer insight into the quitting process and let you know that you are not alone in this addiction. The Articles section are full of great, inspiring stories from members of the site. Stories of overcoming terrible stresses and craves, stories of successes and accomplishments, encouragment, support, answers to questions that many of us have had, etc.

The site offers a great amount of help to quitting the smokeless addiction that you or a loved one may have. We are a community that is here to support and encourage one another to stop using smokeless tobacco. We are a family that first and foremost, wants every member to be quit and stay quit. We are all one poor choice, one pinch, one dip away from throwing it all away....we understand how important our quits are, and we want to not only help ourselves stay quit, but we build accountability with each other to help others stay quit as well.

A veteran quitter from years ago used to say....."Try us out, quit for 100 days....if you are not fully satisfied, we will refund your misery!"

It won't kill you to quit....but not quitting might just kill you....think about it. When you are ready, we will be here.

Happy New Year to all of you...and let 2009 be a dip free year for us all!

-Penguin "

Killer,

Is there a summary section for the site? (I just haven't cruised around lately to see if there are any new threads or not. If there is not, it might be a good thing to put in (maybe an additional thread here in the cafe). Feel free to use what I have posted above, or contact me if you want me to try to rewrite it. Just something I thoguht about last week and figured it would be helpful for new quitters (even current quitters) to know what the site has to offer and how the site actually works. We get quite a few asking about that, and we always respond, but there might be a lot of future quitters on the wire that do not know how the site works, and probably afraid or feel stupid asking questions about how the site works. Just a thought. Let me know what you think about that.

Penguin.

Killer,

Is there a summary section for the site? (I just haven't cruised around lately to see if there are any new threads or not. If there is not, it might be a good thing to put in (maybe an additional thread here in the cafe). Feel free to use what I have posted above, or contact me if you want me to try to rewrite it. Just something I thoguht about last week and figured it would be helpful for new quitters (even current quitters) to know what the site has to offer and how the site actually works. We get quite a few asking about that, and we always respond, but there might be a lot of future quitters on the wire that do not know how the site works, and probably afraid or feel stupid asking questions about how the site works. Just a thought. Let me know what you think about that.

Penguin.

We don't have a section quite like your described, Pengy. It sounds like a good idea. I'll see about putting something like that together and see if Flav wants to add it. Maybe we might also make some kind of "suggestion box" for the members to use to submit useful ideas like this to the staff. Thanks for the suggestion, BALP! B)

Sounds good Killer...I will take the next week or so really giving the site a good look around. I will try to break it down into some nice subgroupings to chat about.

Killer,

Penguin.

We don't have a section quite like your described, Pengy. It sounds like a good idea. I'll see about putting something like that together and see if Flav wants to add it. Maybe we might also make some kind of "suggestion box" for the members to use to submit useful ideas like this to the staff. Thanks for the suggestion, BALP! B)

UPDATE: I put together a few new help topics and posted them in the Clubhouse under "The Information Desk". Now when we have some basic questions, members may choose to direct the person to one of those topics.

I also added a "Suggestion Box", so that others may provide helpful ideas for the administrator and staff to consider and possibly implement. It is located in the General Discussions area under the "Leisure Time" category.

Hello,

Well this is my first time posting, I started a blog today, but have not yet had any replies. I guess I should introduce myself. I am a snuff user and I have been working on quitting for some time. I had quit for a couple weeks with the help of Nicotine patches and gum, but had some wierd side effects, which you can read more about in the blog I started. I asked some questions in the blog to see if others had any similar experiences. I had also quit cold turkey and had some of the same side effects, so I find myself still dipping once a day.

I have chosen tomorrow January 13, 2009 to go back cold turkey, but it would really be helpful to hear from others regarding the side effects I experienced, so if they return I have someone/something to relate them too.

I am a 32 year old male and I have been dipping snuff for an estimated 20 years on and off. I have found this habit for me has become as much of a hobby as it is an addiction and I am addicted both physically and psychologically.

I am glad I have found this community and I hope I will find the needed support and potentially be able to offer support. I am dead set on quitting for numerous reasons, which I am sure are similar to many others on here.

If you have any questions please feel free to message me as I am totally new to all of this and really do not know where to begin other than by saying hello and I look forward to talking to many of you and embarking on this journey with your help and support.

Hello,

Well this is my first time posting, I started a blog today, but have not yet had any replies. I guess I should introduce myself. I am a snuff user and I have been working on quitting for some time. I had quit for a couple weeks with the help of Nicotine patches and gum, but had some wierd side effects, which you can read more about in the blog I started. I asked some questions in the blog to see if others had any similar experiences. I had also quit cold turkey and had some of the same side effects, so I find myself still dipping once a day.

I have chosen tomorrow January 13, 2009 to go back cold turkey, but it would really be helpful to hear from others regarding the side effects I experienced, so if they return I have someone/something to relate them too.

I am a 32 year old male and I have been dipping snuff for an estimated 20 years on and off. I have found this habit for me has become as much of a hobby as it is an addiction and I am addicted both physically and psychologically.

I am glad I have found this community and I hope I will find the needed support and potentially be able to offer support. I am dead set on quitting for numerous reasons, which I am sure are similar to many others on here.

If you have any questions please feel free to message me as I am totally new to all of this and really do not know where to begin other than by saying hello and I look forward to talking to many of you and embarking on this journey with your help and support.

Congrats on quitting. You will want to join the April 2009 quit group which consists of people who will hit 100 days quit during April 2009. Click Here For April 2009

Instruction for posting roll call is HERE

There are many other in April 2009 that will help you quit and are going through the same thing you are, including myself.

Hey everyone...

I'm new here and I just wanted to post to see how things worked. I tried to read the directions but was unsure of how to join a group if my decided quit date is this wednesday January 14th. I'm nervous and excited about the whole thing. I've been dipping Copenhagen Pouches/long cut/Husky for about 7 years non-stop now. Out in California the average can of cope goes for $6.50/7.00 so at 3/4 a can a day, this is surely going to help my wallet. I'm just worried about snapping on someone. I've rarely gone more than a few hours without a dip. Thanks everyone for any advice. I'm really glad I found this site...

Hey everyone...

I'm new here and I just wanted to post to see how things worked. I tried to read the directions but was unsure of how to join a group if my decided quit date is this wednesday January 14th. I'm nervous and excited about the whole thing. I've been dipping Copenhagen Pouches/long cut/Husky for about 7 years non-stop now. Out in California the average can of cope goes for $6.50/7.00 so at 3/4 a can a day, this is surely going to help my wallet. I'm just worried about snapping on someone. I've rarely gone more than a few hours without a dip. Thanks everyone for any advice. I'm really glad I found this site...

just stop chewing and hang around the site..you'll figure out how things work soon enough. I quit cold turkey 135 days ago using this site for accountability.

Do what ever it takes...its so worth it

Hey everyone...

Hey lesjb,

The site had some pretty serious problems today but we're back on. Did you get an answer? I'm in the April 2009 HOF class which you will be in too WHEN you decide to do this thing. It's not a matter of "joining" but showing up and committing to quitting. Read Hoffy's note below. We're in the "Quit Groups" section under April 2009 HOF. It says members only, but that means you since you have a userid.

Get on over there if you haven't already done so.

-Abdul

Been a member for a long time, but first time user here, I think, at least don't remember using it. I have read numerous stories of members that are much more serious than mine and I can't believe some of the personal hardships members have endured.

I have had a dysfunctional family with six siblings and we lost our Mom in August. Dad was already gone. My sister lives in their town and is executor, but nobody else talks to her. She has belongings stored in two storage units. She went to a lot of work to photograph everything and set a date for everybody to show up and claim what thet thought was theirs or should be. This started WWIII and the phone lines burned up. I felt for the executor sister and called her and together worked out a plan. (Spent a lot of time). Called one of my bros I get along with tonight and was shocked. He did nothing , but shoot holes in plan etc. I could go on and on, but you get the jest of what's going on w/me. I really do feel kind of petty after others stories, but this is tearing me up in side and physically. I haven't slept much for a week.

I always feel that signing roll in the AM is a promise, but I have been so screwed up and have strong craves every day and haven't felt confident that I could keep that promise for so I haven't signed roll for five or six days. I am on day 63 and still haven't caved, but the confidence isn't there. I am in the Feb 09 group and guess nobody noticed. I know I need to communicate more and plan to. Just typing this tonight makes me feel better to unload. Like I said Many others have much more serious situations, but this is really getting to me

Thumbs2

I always feel that signing roll in the AM is a promise, but I have been so screwed up and have strong craves every day and haven't felt confident that I could keep that promise for so I haven't signed roll for five or six days. I am on day 63 and still haven't caved, but the confidence isn't there. I am in the Feb 09 group and guess nobody noticed. I know I need to communicate more and plan to. Just typing this tonight makes me feel better to unload. Like I said Many others have much more serious situations, but this is really getting to me

Thumbs2

Thumbs-

I understand your frustration. You are at a delicate point in your quit and the added stresses in your life can only serve to threaten it. Let me remind you. Quitting is a one day at a time proposition. Now is when you regroup and take on the negative feelings one at a time. Stay quit, even if it means you only promise to stay quit for the next hour, the next minute.

What is true for quitting is true for may of life's difficult times. Focus on what you can control for the day. Take those things on in bite sized pieces.

Packing your lip will not solve the problems you have now. Stay quit. That is what you can control.

Been a member for a long time, but first time user here, I think, at least don't remember using it. I have read numerous stories of members that are much more serious than mine and I can't believe some of the personal hardships members have endured.

I have had a dysfunctional family with six siblings and we lost our Mom in August. Dad was already gone. My sister lives in their town and is executor, but nobody else talks to her. She has belongings stored in two storage units. She went to a lot of work to photograph everything and set a date for everybody to show up and claim what thet thought was theirs or should be. This started WWIII and the phone lines burned up. I felt for the executor sister and called her and together worked out a plan. (Spent a lot of time). Called one of my bros I get along with tonight and was shocked. He did nothing , but shoot holes in plan etc. I could go on and on, but you get the jest of what's going on w/me. I really do feel kind of petty after others stories, but this is tearing me up in side and physically. I haven't slept much for a week.

Thumbs2

Thumbs, my father-in-law died in November without a will after a long battle with cancer (mother-in-law died a couple of years ago from breast cancer) and my wife is co-executor with the only other nearby sister of a total of 7 siblings. Two of the siblings expect everything and the others whine but won't stand up to them. And none of the long distance siblings is overly happy with the two that are saddled with the real work (ages range from early 50s to mid 60s).

So I understand that this is very stressful. But as Muddler stated, a dip cannot solve anything. All it can do is enslave you again by feeding the Nicotine Slave Master - and ADD to your stress.

Any time things start to get to you, come here and VENT, VENT, VENT! I think it's one of the useful aspects of this site. Another is the daily promise to stay clean today. Yet another are the connections you make with fellow travelers on this Journey to Freedom!

I am in the Feb 09 group and guess nobody noticed.

Thumbs----I noticed! Sorry for the delay, been a little crazy at work.

Come on back to the class----we need ya! B)

Edited by chewless

Thumbs,

Every now and then, groups will get stagnat, groups will fall apart, groups will be very slow (weekends are often this in many groups), etc. When you need to vent, come here to the site and vent...vent in your group and move on to the cafe, etc. Whereever you feel comfortable. That is what the site is for.

AND IF YOU ARE EVER HAVING A ROUGH TIME AND NEED HELP, you hit every group on the site until you get a response!!!! Some groups are slow (mine can be slow at times...heck, I don't even get a chance to check my group until 5 or 6 pm most nights)...but post until you get a reply. SOMEONE WILL RESPOND to your concerns. You don't act on a crave until you get a response from someone...that's the unwritten rule. Usually, by then you are ok...but just go on a posting marathon until your concerns are met.

Use the site to benifit you. No one here will think you are just "using and abusing" the site...that is what the site was created for...for quitters to use when they are in need of help.

We all hit lulls in our quits, like other quitters mentioned. We all have our stresses (some stresses may seem worse to others, yet our stresses seem worse to others). We are all one in the same. When we need help, we ask for it, and we recieve it. When others ask for help, we give it.

Glad you are still with us....sorry to hear about the stresses you are dealing with. Your stresses make my stresses seem pitiful today (misbehaving students). Keep your head up, and more importantly keep your head on straight.

Keep moving forward towards that freedom you want. It is worth the sacrafices we make early in our quits...

-Penguin

Come on back to the class----we need ya! B)

I talked to Thumbs tonight. I think he's doing much better. He says he'll be posting roll tomorrow and appreciates everyone's PM's and messages.

Come on back to the class----we need ya! ^_^

I talked to Thumbs tonight. I think he's doing much better. He says he'll be posting roll tomorrow and appreciates everyone's PM's and messages.

good stuff killer !! sometimes we all need a little help when feeling weak . its a tough world out there right now B) and the temptation seems to be always lurking around the corner

How's this for being helpful? After telling me how good I'm doing through most of my quit, my wife says that with QSSN I'm just replacing one addiction for another. WTFITA?

I could say that I am fortunate enough to have a group of mentors to help me with my problem,

that I am humble enough to ask for help when I need it,

and grateful enough to continue to share my experience, strength and hope with others who need it.

But I won't. I doubt she'd get it. Anyone want her personal cell number so you can give her your opinion? ^_^B)

How's this for being helpful? After telling me how good I'm doing through most of my quit, my wife says that with QSSN I'm just replacing one addiction for another. WTFITA?

I could say that I am fortunate enough to have a group of mentors to help me with my problem,

and grateful enough to continue to share my experience, strength and hope with others who need it.

But I won't. I doubt she'd get it. Anyone want her personal cell number so you can give her your opinion? B)^_^

Ummmm....sure, send me her cell number. I've give her a call. But could you send me a picture of her first? Full body shot preferably? ^_^

But I won't. I doubt she'd get it. Anyone want her personal cell number so you can give her your opinion? ^_^B)

Ummmm....sure, send me her cell number. I've give her a call. But could you send me a picture of her first? Full body shot preferably? ^_^

...And topless, too, please. For scientific purposes only!

But I won't. I doubt she'd get it. Anyone want her personal cell number so you can give her your opinion? B)^_^

I'll tell you what, get her a screen name, invite her in here to chat and your group, let her get to know your fellow quitters and once she gets more of an understanding I'm sure she would appreciate it more.

Maybe it is an addiction, but it's a pretty damn good addiction. Would she rather have you type a few words here every day or would she rather have you stuff a nasty smelly cancer causing substance in your lip?

Shared this with my quit group, but thought posting in the cafe too may help with my 'confession process'...

“The Little Dipper” - a true short story by Ranger

Shortly after the air war ended in Serbia, my unit deployed to Kosovo as one of the first ‘Peace Enforcement’ missions. I liked ‘Peace Enforcement’ better than ‘Peace Keeping’, because there were two ‘semi’ enemy forces and you could technically shoot anyone’s ass if they pointed the barrel in the wrong direction! Basically, it was the ‘Wild, Wild Fockin West’ and we brought peace and stability (reinforced with a big stick)... my kind of diplomacy!

If was a rough couple of months… making contacts and establishing rapport with the indigenous population, gathering intelligence and setting up infrastructure in preparation for the ‘Big Army’ units to arrive. I enjoyed being one of the ‘first western contacts’ some Albanians and Serbians had ever met - it weighed a lot on how I acted and reacted, because I wanted to gain their trust and confidence.

As we set up our forward operating base, we did not keep it a secret to the locals. Naturally, the children were most curious… who were the strange looking men with all this combat gear and equipment? They asked all sorts of questions and wanted to be with us ’24, Fockin 7’! I did not speak their particular dialect, but some others did… it was cool to engage in conversation, but after a while they wore out their welcome.

They wanted everything… MREs, candy, toilet paper, Tabasco sauce, a pen, anything they could get their little hands on. After a few weeks of the guys tolerating the little beggars, I finally put my foot down and ordered no more interaction with the minors! They were getting out of control with the begging when we returned to our safe house and I didn’t want them to be endangered in any way if something went wrong! So I, being the King Focker ordered, “ALL FREE HAND-OUTS TO THE KIDDOS CEASE IMMEDIATLEY”!

There was just one problem… the kiddos were merciless! They should have gone into Army Special Operations! They were patient, conniving, manipulative, intelligent, and understood the principle of mass tactical movements and psychological warfare!

Slowly, steadily we wore them down with our determination and resolve to not cave to the little fockers demands! One by one they gave up; knowing that we would not give them free ‘hand-outs’ any longer. Until there was just one little guy left – he was maybe no more than 8 years old. He was outside our house every morning around 6:00 am yelling at us to give him something. I told my guys to just ignore him and that he would eventually go away… I was fockin WRONG!

The little turd burglar was relentless! He was like a machine! A fockin time clock, goofy ass-looking, Albanianite beggar! He would not give up… every morning begging for shit and making a ruckus! After 9 days of hearing his scrawny ass begging and yelling at 6:00am in the morning, I lost my patience! I was pissed!

I walked out of the house, down to the wires and said, “What the Fock do you want from us? We have given you tons of shit already! Can’t you just be satisfied with all the stuff we have given you, you little selfish-ass punk!

He just looked up at me and smiled with his goofy-ass, rotten teeth… not understanding a fockin word I just said.

Finally I said here, “Take some of this and EAT IT”. I took out my tin of Copenhagen and showed him how to put in my mouth. I said, ‘CO-PEN-HAY-GEN’ as I took a HUGE ASS DIP! I then proceeded to pretend that I swallowed a huge amount. I motioned for him to open his mouth and I took a similar sized pinch and put it in his mouth. He looked like at me with his mouth full of Copenhagen and swallowed hard… GULP!

That’s when he started spitting and cursing and fell down on the ground, scrapping the shit out of his mouth. When he finished his rant, he looked back at me real quickly and spit on the ground in disgust! Then he ran off down the hill!

I was glad that he got what he deserved and was gone. I thought, “That’ll teach that little Focker not to beg any more”!

The next day, I woke up in peace… it was quiet. I walked outside to take a piss and just as I was enjoying the moment, I looked over and saw the little focker standing out-side the wire.

He was sort-of hunced over - like he just ran a long way. As we made eye contact, he looked at me and with the loudest, little voice I ever heard yelled, “GIVE ME CO-PEN-HAY-GEN!!! GIVE ME CO-PEN-HAY-GEN!!!!”

Holy shit, I just created a fockin’ monster!

You know what? That little shit ended up becoming my little dipper! We would share a dip as the sun rose, just enjoying the moment and not understanding a FOCKIN word one another said! Little Dipper would do anything for a can! He was the best ‘early, warning’ security system we could ever ask for! I felt bad that I got him hooked on the Nic-Bitch, but everyone in the country smokes (and I mean everybody) so I justified it in my mind in some way.

I never got to see the transition to the big Army units coming in, but I’m sure some Infantryman was probably quite surprised when they were met my a small little, Albanian Focker yelling, “GIVE ME CO-PEN-HA-GEN”!!!

Yeah, I’m sure Little Dipper lives on! If you’re out there little focker, we have a group for you!

- Ranger