Quit Smokeless Community
Sign in to follow this  
Flavius Victor

The Cafe - 2009

Sorry for not responding, Thumbs. Just got back from a (another) funeral today.

Francis Garman .... beloved wife, mother, etc. Cancer. Tobacco in any form is a killer!

May God have mercy on her soul!

Edited by Truckerick

Congrats to Creek on his one year quit anniversary!

Way to go, JayJayCee and ready....800 days quit today!

Wow....1,200 days quit for Rayne....great job, girl!

And 1,700 days quit for Pete92....awesome!

I'm sure when they first quit, all of these people probably had doubts that they could stay quit for a day or week, much less the amount of days they're now achieved while on quitsmokeless.org. But I imagine they all just accomplished these milestones by taking it one day at a time. If you're not quit yet, take that first step today. Sure, it seems hard, but before you know it, you can be celebrating your own milestones. Do it...you know you want to. And we know you can. You won't regret it!

You know, it's a good feeling to realize that you forgot to notice that you just hit the 7 year mark, which I did two weeks ago. This place had a great deal to do with where I am today. Looking forward to seeing you guys hit the 7 year mark. It can happen, ya know!

Cubby Out B)

You know, it's a good feeling to realize that you forgot to notice that you just hit the 7 year mark, which I did two weeks ago. This place had a great deal to do with where I am today. Looking forward to seeing you guys hit the 7 year mark. It can happen, ya know!

Cubby Out B)

I don't know what you guys think, but for me, that's just freak'n awsome.

Cubby, you rock dude.

Congrats to Creek on his one year quit anniversary!

Way to go, JayJayCee and ready....800 days quit today!

Wow....1,200 days quit for Rayne....great job, girl!

And 1,700 days quit for Pete92....awesome!

I'm sure when they first quit, all of these people probably had doubts that they could stay quit for a day or week, much less the amount of days they're now achieved while on quitsmokeless.org. But I imagine they all just accomplished these milestones by taking it one day at a time. If you're not quit yet, take that first step today. Sure, it seems hard, but before you know it, you can be celebrating your own milestones. Do it...you know you want to. And we know you can. You won't regret it!

That hit the nail on the head. Quitting was one of the best decisions I ever made. Does dip still cross my mind? Yes. Is it that big of a deal now? No. This has been a long road, but I can't put into words how much it worth it.

A bunch of people celebrating "hope" and "change" today. Well, I hope you decide to join us at QSSN and change from being a dipper or chewer to becoming a quitter. You can do it, and we're here to help. There's some mighty fine quitters who are celebrating some big milestones today, for example...

CrazyKoz and Buffalo Tarheel...one year each without tobacco!

700 days quit for pdriver....keep it up!

And congrats to fishforsale and QuittinTime on three full years quit...great job, guys!

Can we, too, stay quit like these guys? Yes, we can!

Every year it seems that I am either early or late with this post. Obviously, today's focus is the Inauguration, but yesterday we focused celebration and reflection of a man whose vision made today's event possible. I found the post in last year's cafe, and plan to make the appropriate edits to reflect the current day.

I have spent a good deal of this evening planning a lesson for my art students, and with M.L.K. Jr. Day approaching, I thought I'd put a twist on his words to help his message apply to us as dipping addicts. I realize this will not be as "powerful" as the original speech and message were, however, I did listen to his speech and thought about how it could relate exactly to our quits. I hope the message below influences your quit and motivates and gives hope to the entire QS community as it did the same years ago to others. And in no way is it meant to degrade or belittle the original speech and message. Dr. King fought a battle to better our nation, just as we battle our addiction to better our lives. - Dr. Penguin King Jr.

I HAVE A DREAM

I am happy to join with you today in what will go down in history as the greatest demonstration for freedom in the history of our quit smokeless site.

Twelve years ago, a great man, in whose symbolic shadow we stand today, created a quit smokeless site for anonymous dippers to join. His name is Matt Van Wyk. Thirty three months ago, another great man took over that vision of a site for numerous other dippers to join. His name is Flavius Victoris. These momentous decrees came as great beacons of light for hope to tens and hundreds and thousands of quitters who had been enslaved in an addiction they could not pull themselves out of by their own will. It came as a joyous daybreak to end the long night of their captivity to this drug and addiction.

We cannot walk alone.

And as we walk, we MUST make the pledge that we shall ALWAYS MARCH AHEAD!

WE CAN NOT TURN BACK! It is NOT an OPTION!

Let us not wallow in the valley of despair, I say to you today, my friends, my brothers and sisters.

And so even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a DREAM. It is a DREAM deeply rooted in the quitter's dream.

I have a dream that one day this community will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all quitters are fighting to end their addiction, end their slavery to the tin or pouch, find their FREEDOM."

I have a dream that one day on this internet site, the sons and daughters of quitsmokeless will be able to sit down together at the table of freedom.

I have a dream that one day the new members will have the vision of freedom, will encounter the successful victories of battles to slingshot them forward in their quits, and will be transformed into veteran quitters who will continue to pass their experiences and knowledge on to the next class of brothers and sisters.

I have a dream that my dip free brothers and sisters will one day live in a household, community, state and nation where they will not be judged by their past addictions and poor habits, but by the content of their character and success of quitting dip.

I have a dream today!

I have a dream that one day, my new brothers and sisters experience the greatness of freedom which seems to be so hard to see through the withdrawl and fog of the early quit.

I have a dream today!

I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, and every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight; and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed and all quitters will live in that freedom they have worked so hard to earn.

This is our hope, and this is the faith that I go back to the quitsmokeless community with.

With this faith, we will be able to hew out of the mountain of despair, a stone of hope. With this faith, we will be able to transform the jangling discords of our addictions to smokeless tobacco into a beautiful symphony of brotherhood. With this faith, we will be able to work together, to pray together, to struggle together, to vent together, to stand up for freedom together, knowing that WE WILL be free one day.

And so let freedom ring from the prodigious hilltops of New Hampshire.

Let freedom ring from the mighty mountains of New York.

Let freedom ring from the heightening Alleghenies of

Pennsylvania.

Let freedom ring from the snow-capped Rockies of Colorado.

Let freedom ring from the curvaceous slopes of California.

But not only that:

Let freedom ring from Stone Mountain of Georgia.

Let freedom ring from Lookout Mountain of Tennessee.

Let freedom ring from every hill and molehill of Mississippi.

From every mountainside, let freedom ring.

And when this happens, when we allow freedom ring, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of a successful dipfree life:

Free at last! Free at last!

Thank God Almighty, we are free at last!

Edited by penguin

hey everyone. Day one for me. I've quite before, and definitely feel like I have the best shot i've ever had this time. Nic gum 2mg is helping, and i know it's gonna be a long road. How do I get into the hall of fame threads? seems like there's a special format, and i dont wanna screw it up. HEllo gentlemen!

hey everyone. Day one for me. I've quite before, and definitely feel like I have the best shot i've ever had this time. Nic gum 2mg is helping, and i know it's gonna be a long road. How do I get into the hall of fame threads? seems like there's a special format, and i dont wanna screw it up. HEllo gentlemen!

Hello AJD,

Look under "Quit Groups" on the main page. If this is day 1 for you, you are part of the April 2009 Hall of Fame class. Welcome. Read the instructions on how to "post roll" - that is sign in every day. Click here for directions. Just jump in, introduce yourself, and start the rest of your quitting life. Let me know if you have any questions.

-Abdul

How will you remember Tuesday, January 20, 2009?

I’m sure most of you started out the day like any other; rushing to get that morning ritual done before work. Knowing today was going to be different since history for the first time was in the making! Yet I was utterly clueless to what today’s history lesson for me I'd face. First let me assure you that it had absolutely nothing to do with or about our 44th President, Barack Obama being sworn in as our Commander and Chief.

It was actually going to come down to little ‘ole history lesson and me. It seems I only have horrific news to share with you which leads me to not share it at all. I mean blah, blah, blah what’s the sense of hearing someone’s woes? All negative without a grain of something positive makes for a huge case of DRAMA. And who wants to read such chaos of life; especially when it has to deal with someone else. Everyone endures such times. Don’t get me wrong I am grateful for everything I have but it would seem nice not have such constant misfortunes, you know? Think positive, Nickie! Positive!

Anyways, I was in the hospital for a week with pneumonia and my hematologist caught a blood clot within my leg while I was there – low potassium and magnesium. Umm, ever have needles around your belly button? Let’s say it’s a not a walk in the park. It’s shots of heparin to thin my blood in order to dissolve the clot. Then the antibiotics that I was receiving I had an allergic reaction to. (nice rash) It took two attempts but finally there was one that I could use without having to play connect the dots. (small joke – I’ll letcha laugh!) I went in on Monday, Jan 12th and was released Friday the 16th.

The school never sent flowers so I felt that was somewhat strange. However, Friday late afternoon I did received flowers at the hospital after I was discharged. The florist arranged to deliver them to my house. Hmm, 3 carnations – card read: Everglades Elementary. Very impersonal I thought but hell, I was happy to receive something. Better than nothing, right? ”Get well soon“, to me, seemed logical since I was in the hospital, oh well! I’ll hush. Flowers are flowers. Monday, school was out! And I had kept in touch either by Paul or myself calling so they knew I would be returning Tuesday the 20th.

Now back to the historic event, mine before President Obama’s.

As soon as I walked into my clinic my desk had been rearranged to fit whoever had felt the need to rearrange it. My children as normal came into the clinic before the bell rings. No sooner had I placed my purse and laptop down I was asked to see the Principal in her office. I assumed the same formality of Dr. Note to return back to work and the usual how are you feeling? I stepped into her office as she closed the door. Ok, this isn’t good. A piece of paper was placed in front of me to read with an, “I’m sorry.”

Just for humor this is the letter I was greeted to after having a clot which might not have been dissolved either entering a lung or my brain. (which school was aware of my condition)

January 20, 2009

Dear Nicole Lynch,

In order to better meet the needs of (School Name) and the students that we serve, I have recommended that your employment be terminated effective today, January 20, 2009. I anticipate that this will be formally approved by the school board at the February Meeting.

I wish you the best in all of your future endeavors.

Sincerely,

My Principal Signature

Her Title

cc: Superintendent of Schools

cc: Personnel File of Nicole Lynch

She said sorry about 3 more times and then I had to go into my office during school hours and remove my personal belongings. I used a lot of my own money to purchase Dental and Hygiene Awareness displays. I asked if I could come back because neither staff nor students knew of my termination and at first she stated it was ok but within a few minutes she felt it was better for me to go ahead and get my belongings while I was there. It took me and the principal close to 2 hours to pack everything into my van. I even took my bookcase that was about to fall apart but I took it. I brought it into that facility and I was taking it back.

I felt betrayed. I wasn’t given an explanation as to why. An explanation wasn’t needed since in within their policy the school board has an allotted window and it happens that it’s a 3 year time slot. So for 3 years anyone working for them can be let go without warning and/or without a reason for their termination. I felt humiliated. I take my job very seriously. Last year human resources found out that I was seen at a psychiatric hospital for my bipolar disorder and they have been giving me an extremely harsh time about it. (My husband told them the 3 days I was there; not thinking.) I was a voluntary checked in for mostly talk therapy since there isn’t any available near me. Huge mistake, I now know, since government facilities basically take mental patients off the streets and provide them only their prescription medications. If only I had known. I never would have admitted myself. I had the meds just not the treatment. What a waste of time and now a waste of a job. The union I am with can do very little since the 3 year time slot. But they are still working on it. I know it has to do with my bipolar. I had no problems up until then. Teachers take just as many days if not more for medical or personal. Is it my fault my position requires someone with training (CPR/First Aid) requiring higher pay to sub for me than a normal teaching sub? I never complained even when I didn’t receive my lunch or 15 minute breaks. I did my job.

I feel like such a failure. Can I not do anything right? What the hell is wrong with me? I wanted a dip today. Yes, I wanted one. Just to say FUCK YOU world. I called ODT. I told him what does it matter if I just say to hell with it? What does it really matter?

I see absolutely no strength within me. I see weakness. I see someone who all her life has been put down. How can I look my children in the face and let them know that it’ll be alright when I am uncertain of the future. I feel so very low. I feel like I do more harm than good. Just once I wish something good could evolve from something bad. And I wish dip wouldn’t be such a factor when I’m down. I live and breathe and I know its better without Copenhagen. I want others to look up to me and say “Hey, look she’s doing it so can I.”

But what happens when you are at your lowest ebb?

The more you struggle, ..... the quicker that tide pulls you out ...... the less you see your tranquility within that white sandy beach.

Then what? Why make a little bit of history of your own? ...................... Stay quit!

I’m looking forward to the warmth of the beach between my toes and a cool margarita! Copenhagen for now will just have to wait! Maybe, just maybe I have a little bit of fight left in me. A little bit of strength to keep moving! A little bit of history left in the making .......................

-mls

**I didn't falter ODT, Timmay and Beav, my big brothers .... I didn't falter! - - I hope you're proud!**

Hi people, I just wanted to introduce myself to you fellow quitters. My name is Paul and I stopped dipping Grizzly on 1/11/2009. I had been dipping for almost 2 years.

My habit started when I was going through rehab for heroin addiction. I met a guy from Georgia there who introduced me to dipping. I had smoked a little for a couple years after high school but I had stopped by the time I go into dipping. This isn't the first time I have stopped using dip. For the first few months of 2007 I stopped dipping because of my girlfriend at the time, but when we broke up I started again. By the time I stopped last week I had become a can a day dipper of Grizzly (don't matter what flavor), definitely the strongest dip I can find here...definitely the most harsh dip I've tried, at least at first it is.

I have been clean from drugs for 2 years now and I will tell you guys that quitting dip has been tougher than quitting heroin, mainly because it is so easy to get and you can do it anywhere. I'm not really sure what made me want to quit, as I was perfectly content to just keep dipping day after day. I just woke up 2 Sundays ago and after I had put my lipper in I had a very strong thought: "Quit this stuff NOW or you will be dead sooner than you know it!!!" I was always kind of unclear about the risks of dipping because my dad has dipped for about 30+ years without any consequences to his health. The more I started reading online about the risks of dipping, the more I decided to make 1/11/2009 my definitive quit date.

Right now I am on the patch and doing a taper down from the highest dose to the lowest. I imagine that quitting will be pretty easy for me, as it was with harder drugs. The hard part is staying quit in the long run. Honestly I don't really miss it right now. I mainly started doing it to level out my anxiety at the time when I was coming off of heroin. Now I know that I don't need drugs to be happy. I'm not having a major problem with oral fixation...tried gum for 2 days but quickly forgot about it altogether. The hardest part for me in quitting any drug is the huge pull to alleviate the withdrawal symptoms. Nicotine definitely has some very nasty withdrawals (not as bad as opiates though).

Anyway, that's my story and I am glad to be on this forum.

-Paul

Edited by bitkid

Quite a few quitters celebrating major milestones today....

First, congrats to Rainman and Freshstart on reaching the Hall of Fame...100 days without tobacco! B)

Hank Hill celebrates his 200th day quit today....nice job! :wub:

500 days quit for Free-At-Last....way to go! ^_^

CoryB has been quit for THREE years....fantastic! ^_^

1,400 days tobacco-free for skin2win....wow! ^_^

1,500 days quit for VimVam....super! ^_^

And on a personal note, I want to especially congratulate Penguin on 1,800 days quit today. Pengy has been a great help and source of advice on this site for myself and countless others. Congratulations, BALP! ^_^

What's up guys? Been a user for over 30 years and this is my second time using this site. The last time was two years ago in which I lasted over 6 months then caved. I had my last dip around 8 am on Monday, Jan. 19. I know that the first three days are very difficult but it is worth it to me if I can quit using.

Has anybody ever found a herbal snuff that is bearable? I tried some the last go around but never could handle it. You would think someone would come up with some stuff that tasted/felt like the real thing. Oh well, I guess I can just keep munching on raisins and sunflower seeds.

Hi all. I'm in the middle of my fourth day off of the Evil Apple Skoal. Thought I'd come in and say hi.

Hey Quitnow,

You happened to come in just in time to join the April 2009 Hall of Fame class. Hurry on over to "Quit Groups" and enter the April 2009 HOF board. Introduce yourself and join us.

Read the instructions for how to post roll call here.

-Abdul

What's up guys? Been a user for over 30 years and this is my second time using this site. The last time was two years ago in which I lasted over 6 months then caved. I had my last dip around 8 am on Monday, Jan. 19. I know that the first three days are very difficult but it is worth it to me if I can quit using.

Has anybody ever found a herbal snuff that is bearable? I tried some the last go around but never could handle it. You would think someone would come up with some stuff that tasted/felt like the real thing. Oh well, I guess I can just keep munching on raisins and sunflower seeds.

I actually found a pretty good mix. I think Smokey Mountain original tastes like shit but has the same feel as kodiak. So I take a pinch of that and then add a small pinch of Oregon Mint's Beaver Creek. The mint burns like real dip but by itself, it's like tar. I think a couple old former dippers need to get together and make some good fake snuff.

The crappy part is that I can only get the Oregon Mint stuff online, so it's a pain to order that.

Oh well, try it out if you want, it works for me.

I actually found a pretty good mix. I think Smokey Mountain original tastes like shit but has the same feel as kodiak. So I take a pinch of that and then add a small pinch of Oregon Mint's Beaver Creek. The mint burns like real dip but by itself, it's like tar. I think a couple old former dippers need to get together and make some good fake snuff.

The crappy part is that I can only get the Oregon Mint stuff online, so it's a pain to order that.

Oh well, try it out if you want, it works for me.

I have tried 3 kinds of Herbals.

1. Baccoff Wintergreen you can buy it in stores or online. The texture is somewhat like Hawken, the flavor is ok but not very realistic and it does not pack very well.

2. Hooch orginal and wintergreen: Buy online. The texture is similar to Copnhagn, but the flavor is crap.

3. Smokee Mountain Arctic Mint pouches (taste just like Skoal Mint), Classic/original much like Sgreath said, flavor to me is better than Baccoff or Hooch though and the texture is much more realistic.

I hope this info helps.

Needhlp

Day 4 for me so the dreaded 72 hours of hell are over. Last night was the first night I have been able to sleep without waking up four or five times. I only woke up once and that was because our dog was barking. I was encouraged this morning when getting ready for work.

I am currently in the process of reconciliation with my wife over an affair I had. It has been four months since she found out and we are healing, but very slowly. I could think of no better time than to give tobacco up for good. Yeah, it has been a very stressful time and you wouldn't think quitting now would be a good idea. I want to be able to tell her that I accomplished something good out of a time that started out so horribly bad. I also want to be able to tell my children that I have stopped doing something that could kill me at at any moment.

Tomorrow my 14 year old daughter has ankle surgery and I am sure I will be wanting a dip while waiting. This will be a test for me bit time! I am a little nervous about it already (surgery) and throw the tension of my marital situation on top of that... wow!

Good luck to everyone.

Hi All....first timer here...how does one get through the tunnel vision trying to quit..haha, really though I have dipped since high school, I am now 48. I keep a dip from the time I get up to bed time, I never spit and I feel like it is time to quit, but how? I have been with the same company for 28 years and just last week they have banned all tobacco use on property....I am literally panicking, well, I am stretching that alittle, I am discreetly dipping but feel it is a sign to try and quit.

John

Hi All....first timer here...how does one get through the tunnel vision trying to quit..haha, really though I have dipped since high school, I am now 48. I keep a dip from the time I get up to bed time, I never spit and I feel like it is time to quit, but how? I have been with the same company for 28 years and just last week they have banned all tobacco use on property....I am literally panicking, well, I am stretching that alittle, I am discreetly dipping but feel it is a sign to try and quit.

John

John,

Congrats on your decision to quit.

Even though you have a four more years of experience on me, our dipping pleasures were about the same. I too had a dip in from awakening until hitting the rack. Eating was the only break my lip/cheek got. How sad is that?????? That is when you know it is time to do something about it, right?

I would think your new restrictions at work would be to your advantage and I too think it is a sign to quit. Throw in the sunflower seeds, hard candy, etc and gut it out. It will never leave your mind I can promise you. I made it six months one time and a day never passed when I didn't think about it. I am just so mad I caved and now am going through it again.

Get on here and vent when you have the "axe murderer" feelings going on. It helps.

John

John,

How do you quit?

Simple. Don't dip. Don't dip right now. Seriously! Take that dip out.

Then, in a bit, when you'll get this feeling that you really have to dip, need to dip- don't dip.

Join up with your quit group- click here to get to your group, and post up. Posting is a promise that you won't dip for today. It's simple! It's a promise for today. Not for anything else. C'mon. You can not dip for ONE day, right?

And you can see how to 'post roll' here. It's simple, just don't dip today.

Then, tomorrow, you can wake up, and if you want to, post up again. Then you don't dip tomorrow, and you'll get to put a '2' next to your name. Eventually, this adds up a LOT. Some of the guys here have been quit dozens of days, hundreds of days, even THOUSANDS of days.

But don't worry too much about that. Just don't dip right now. Take the craves one at a time, promise one day at a time.

It's so simple it works.

Take a look around, and hopefully you'll post up soon- we'll be there with you when you're ready.

So, what are you waiting for? Don't dip. Right now! No time to quit like the present. The first three days can be rough- but take it one day at a time, one crave at a time. Read everything you can on here.

You can quit, too.

Cheers,

-CanadianDave

Welcome Longtimeuser and DippingCrazy,

You two can be Founding members of the May 2009 Hall of Fame Class. The group has just been created under "Quit Groups" and is at the top of the list of groups. Or click here.

Learn how to post your name in roll call and start supporting each other. We'll be there too to root for you.

-Abdul (Day 18)

John

John,

How do you quit?

Simple. Don't dip. Don't dip right now. Seriously! Take that dip out.

Then, in a bit, when you'll get this feeling that you really have to dip, need to dip- don't dip.

Join up with your quit group- click here to get to your group, and post up. Posting is a promise that you won't dip for today. It's simple! It's a promise for today. Not for anything else. C'mon. You can not dip for ONE day, right?

And you can see how to 'post roll' here. It's simple, just don't dip today.

Then, tomorrow, you can wake up, and if you want to, post up again. Then you don't dip tomorrow, and you'll get to put a '2' next to your name. Eventually, this adds up a LOT. Some of the guys here have been quit dozens of days, hundreds of days, even THOUSANDS of days.

But don't worry too much about that. Just don't dip right now. Take the craves one at a time, promise one day at a time.

It's so simple it works.

Take a look around, and hopefully you'll post up soon- we'll be there with you when you're ready.

So, what are you waiting for? Don't dip. Right now! No time to quit like the present. The first three days can be rough- but take it one day at a time, one crave at a time. Read everything you can on here.

You can quit, too.

Cheers,

-CanadianDave

Fantastic advice, CDave! I would just like to add one more thing.

I feel that in order to successfully quit, you have to WANT to quit for yourself. Quitting for no reason other than your job banned tobacco or your wife/significant other said that you have to quit will only lead to feelings of resentment which may mean continued usage (particularly sneaking it) is more likely to happen. As with most things in life, it's easier to do (or more fun, etc...) if you do it on your terms and not because you were forced to do it. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck with your quit. We're here if you need us!

It will never leave your mind I can promise you. . . .

Welcome to the site, longtimeuser, but I must disagree. Maybe after 6 months you still think about tobacco a lot, but for the most part, the thought does leave your mind eventually. Each person is different and I cannot tell you exactly when it will happen, but after over 2 years of being quit, the thought of using tobacco is no longer a constant in my mind. I think about tobacco because I am on the site every day talking to people about quitting it, but it's not the same as craving tobacco. I dipped Copenhagen for 26 years and was as much an addict, if not more, than probably any other person here, but by saying "no nicotine or tobacco today" for over two years, I now do not have the desire to dip again. I'll never let my guard down, but thoughts of dipping are no more than mere gnats that I can brush away with a swipe of my hand. So for all of you newer quitters out there, I am here to offer you encouragement that there is a light at the end of the tunnel, as long as you stay strong and stay quit.

Speaking of staying quit, I want to congratulate some fellow quitters who are hitting milestones today...

MrNismo celebrates two hundred days quit today....great job!

Our brother Dilfer hits day 300 today...way to go!

One full year without tobacco for HatTrick...congrats!

Two years quit for tt_dipper...that's tt_terrific!

And 800 days for Goldy today....awesome!