Quit Smokeless Community
Sign in to follow this  
Flavius Victor

The Cafe - 2009

a gallery section that will very well scare you quit!

That's what sealed the deal for me. When I thought to myself 18 days ago, "why don't I quit this stuff?", I looked on the net for resources about quitting dipping and came across this site. I saw the pics in the gallery and I was so freaked out then and there that I haven't had a dip since then. I ran out and bought my patches and here I am today, 18 days dip free and feeling good about it.

Gooooooood morning, everybody! Another fine day to either quit or be quit. Congrats to Virginia Jim on celebrating his 800th day without tobacco. B) Sounds to me like Jim burned those boats completely! character0117.gif^_^

My "quit track" counter says that I've broken the $1,000 mark in terms of money saved...but in reality its more than that. Whenever I would go into a C-Store to buy chew I would alway say why not pick up a snack while im here?...how about some chips..or some TWINKIES! maybe a newspaper or two or a magazine while I'm at it. And of course I have to buy a beverage of some kind so I can spit my brown shit into the empty bottle. Preferably a bottle with a WIDE mouth.

Now I don't even go into C-Stores at all anymore. Its saved my wallet AND my waistline a bundle.

For me quitting has been about so much more that just kicking that filthy habit...I has been a whole lifestyle change.

Keep fighting the good fight brothers and sisters.

MooseLB63 - 151 days free.

Broken and humbled. My name is Cody and I'm coming back to this site... shamed. Below you will see my HOF speech from 2002. I quit coming to the site when I had a year or two under my belt. Guess what, I'm paying for it now in returning a full fledged dipper. Lesson learned. If you are fighting the fight, please don't let this discourage you. I may have lost a battle, but I will win the war. Made a huge step tonight in confessing to my wife that I have been dipping behind her back. As all of you know, this is maybe the hardest step to take. I've been dreading it for weeks, but it is done. There were many tears shed by both of us, but I am thankful that the weight has been lifted, and I have shattered a barrier of dishonesty that I had allowed to come between us and weaken our marriage. I am in dire need of the support and encouragement of this site. My quit date is Monday 2/2. I look forward to waging this war along side you guys. God Bless - Cody

Cody 20020712 My day has finally arrived. Let me tell you fellas, this place is unbelievable! I mean I had heard stories but wow!

First and foremost, thank you Matt for your vision in creating this website and support system. It has truly been invaluable in helping me stay quit. I would love to shake your hand someday.

A little background on myself. I started dipping snuff when I was about 9 years old. I can remember sneaking up the monkey bars at recess in the 3rd grade to take a dip. Why? I guess I saw my older sister's boyfriends dipping and wanted to be like them. It truly blows my mind now to think of how young 9 years old is! And so began my lifelong journey of tobacco use. By 9th grade I had evolved into a genuine can of Copenhagen a day user. Now, here I sit having spent 70% of my life thus far dipping snuff. That changed July 12, 2002.

I've tried many times over the past seven or so years to kick the can. I tried cold turkey, the wean down approach, the patch, the gum, the fake snuff, cigars, on and on. I was never able to make it past a few weeks. Take heart though. You have heard it said many times here...KEEP ON QUITTIN! Sooner or later it will stick.

So what's different this time? First, by God's grace I found this website and have used it daily, I have a true desire to make this my last Quit, I involved my wife deeply in this battle (she is a frequent visitor to the site and it has helped give her insight into the addiction she had never understood before), I told all of my family / friends / co-workers about my quit, and most importantly, I remind myself daily that I literally am one dip away from being a full blown can of Copenhagen / day junkie again.

Why quit dipping? Quit dipping to enjoy your family. Quit dipping to cease being a slave. It is so nice to go for an evening walk with my pregnant wife and 2 year old son, versus making up an excuse to stay behind and dip while they go without me. What a loser I was. The good news is, at this point for me, dipping is becoming more and more of a distant memory. Don't get me wrong, I still occasionally miss having a dip. Who knows, maybe I always will. Thankfully, I can tell you that the associations (hunting, fishing, after a meal, etc.) are fading. Now, I am enjoying reinventing myself as a non-dipper. The previous sentence was something I read in somebody's post that always stuck with me. Sorry I can't recall who said that, but just another testament to gleaning something from this website.

Thank you to all of my friends here at QuitSmokeless. You are truly friends.

Thank you to the October Crew.

God Bless,

Cody

"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour - this greatest fulfillment to all he holds dear - is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle victorious." --- Vince Lombardi
[/b]

Gooooooood morning, everybody! Another fine day to either quit or be quit. Congrats to Virginia Jim on celebrating his 800th day without tobacco. B) Sounds to me like Jim burned those boats completely! character0117.gif^_^

Thanks. For me there is no way I would have succeeded if failure was an option. There are so many times I would have loved to retreat and take the easy way out. But if you cannot retreat than you must move forward. For those just starting out, know that this battle does get easier, particularly if you learn to eliminate failure as and option in your own mind.

Broken and humbled. My name is Cody and I'm coming back to this site... shamed. Below you will see my HOF speech from 2002. I quit coming to the site when I had a year or two under my belt. Guess what, I'm paying for it now in returning a full fledged dipper. Lesson learned. If you are fighting the fight, please don't let this discourage you. I may have lost a battle, but I will win the war. Made a huge step tonight in confessing to my wife that I have been dipping behind her back. As all of you know, this is maybe the hardest step to take. I've been dreading it for weeks, but it is done. There were many tears shed by both of us, but I am thankful that the weight has been lifted, and I have shattered a barrier of dishonesty that I had allowed to come between us and weaken our marriage. I am in dire need of the support and encouragement of this site. My quit date is Monday 2/2. I look forward to waging this war along side you guys. God Bless - Cody

Great post, other than the part where you are waiting until Monday to quit. If you think Monday will be some how easier to quit than today, that is the addict in you talking.

Coming clean with your wife is a big and probably a very important step for you to succeed. However, I can think of no logical reason why the next step of actually quitting needs to wait until Monday.

Edited by Virginia Jim

Broken and humbled.

Why quit dipping? Quit dipping to enjoy your family. Quit dipping to cease being a slave. It is so nice to go for an evening walk with my pregnant wife and 2 year old son, versus making up an excuse to stay behind and dip while they go without me. What a loser I was.

God Bless,

Cody

WOW! What a story! Just goes to show that the nic-bitch is always upon us---Thanks for the reminder!

I read your whole post and the words above should be enough to get you back on track and stay there!

Especially the part about the loser.....Hit's home; Hit's Hard!

Hope the groundhog sees no chew in your future when he appears on the 2nd B)

Hey where do you use the quit tracker to see how much money you save? Is that part of this forum or on a different site??

Hey where do you use the quit tracker to see how much money you save? Is that part of this forum or on a different site??

Go to http://www.quitsmokeless.org/ and on the right side, you'll see the original QuitTrack. Enter your quit date in the format shown, then scroll down a little and enter the number of cans used per day (you can input fractions, like "0.75") and the cost of a can in your area. Press the button below this to calculate the amount of money you saved.

Can a member use nicorette or do you have to go cold turkey?

KennyS

It's your quit, Kenny, and it's your life. We're here to help, but you can choose what way works best for you. Though I imagine the majority of quitters here would recommend going cold turkey, it is acceptable to use an NRT product like Nicorette in the early stage of your quit. However, follow the program as recommended and don't use it any longer than necessary. And for those people who have already been quit for a few days, do NOT start NRT at that point...the nicotine is already out of your system, and the NRT is just putting it right back in. I hope this helps, Kenny. But what is really necessary to quit is a true desire and determination to quit. I know you tried yesterday and gave up. Are you certain that you have the willpower to take it seriously this time? If you do, then we're ready to support and help you succeed. Many, many people who were just as addicted as you are (if not more so) were able to quit with the help of QSSN.org. Together, we will all stay nicotine-free, one day at a time.

KennyS

It's your quit, Kenny, and it's your life. We're here to help, but you can choose what way works best for you. Though I imagine the majority of quitters here would recommend going cold turkey, it is acceptable to use an NRT product like Nicorette in the early stage of your quit. However, follow the program as recommended and don't use it any longer than necessary. And for those people who have already been quit for a few days, do NOT start NRT at that point...the nicotine is already out of your system, and the NRT is just putting it right back in. I hope this helps, Kenny. But what is really necessary to quit is a true desire and determination to quit. I know you tried yesterday and gave up. Are you certain that you have the willpower to take it seriously this time? If you do, then we're ready to support and help you succeed. Many, many people who were just as addicted as you are (if not more so) were able to quit with the help of QSSN.org. Together, we will all stay nicotine-free, one day at a time.

I want to quit more than anything in my life. I've thought about and agonized over quitting snuff for at least the last 30 years. In November of 1985 I quit for 10 months, October of 1994 I quit for 1 year & 9 months, and in September of 1998 I quit for 2 years & 8 months. Each time I went back to chewing, telling myself that I could control it - just have a couple on the weekends when I'd go fishing or hunting. That was total bullshit. Every time I started back I ended up chewing full speed within a couple days.

Tobacco (smoking) killed my dad back in 1988. He was only 57 years old. He died of lung cancer - inch by inch. You'd think that would have made me quit right then and there. I said I would and I meant it - at least I thought I did, but here I am over 20 years later still putting that shit in my mouth.

I finally read the the entire May 2009 Quit Forum tonight and I got a little better understanding of this site and how it works. I want to become a part of this brotherhood.

Tomorrow morning I start ... Thanks.

KennyS

KennyS

I want to quit more than anything in my life. I've thought about and agonized over quitting snuff for at least the last 30 years. In November of 1985 I quit for 10 months, October of 1994 I quit for 1 year & 9 months, and in September of 1998 I quit for 2 years & 8 months. Each time I went back to chewing, telling myself that I could control it - just have a couple on the weekends when I'd go fishing or hunting. That was total bullshit. Every time I started back I ended up chewing full speed within a couple days.

Tobacco (smoking) killed my dad back in 1988. He was only 57 years old. He died of lung cancer - inch by inch. You'd think that would have made me quit right then and there. I said I would and I meant it - at least I thought I did, but here I am over 20 years later still putting that shit in my mouth.

I finally read the the entire May 2009 Quit Forum tonight and I got a little better understanding of this site and how it works. I want to become a part of this brotherhood.

Tomorrow morning I start ... Thanks.

KennyS

A few thoughts, Kenny.

#1 - You now know that just one is not a possibility - not for you - not for me either. We both need to quit and quit fresh every day. We are addicts and for us the line is bright. We are either quit or we are using. One is too much and and all the dip in the world is not enough.

#2 - Listen to Killerattorney - he is one of the guys that taught me to quit. Like Killer, I don't care if you go cold turkey or use NRT. My call is to just quit, but you do what will work for you. When post tomorrow without packing you lip - you will have my support.

#3- I will be looking for your post. Say good-bye to the Nic Bitch if you need to - but never look back. She is using you for a chump and you deserve better.

Hi everyone, I am new to this so please stay with me. I am 26 years old and have been dipping for 7 years. I started in College when I was playing baseball. I have a little girl on the way and I am now not just thinking about myself I really want to quit! I set my date as Feb. 7th so I can prepare for what I will be going through. My wife hates it too so I am ready to start. I know everyone says start now not in a week but I believe this will be best for me. I typically dip around a can or a little less every day. I am glad I found this group and look forward to getting to know all of you. Thanks in advance!

Chris

Hi, Kenny.

I read your quote about using nicorette and had to give you my personal experiences with that route...

I am 33 and have been using dip for the past 11 years. I started it in the summer of my last year of university. You see, I nearly failed a screenwriting class, but begged my teacher into giving me the summer to finish my script. Well....I hate writing and knew I needed a way to keep me at the computer for long hours at a time. I have no idea exactly what made me pick dipping tobacco, but I knew a few guys in highschool who did it and I'd also recently seen 'Saving Private Ryan', in which many of the soldiers used it. I thought that might do the trick.

Well. it did keep me at that computer, because it was a total rush. I was probably hooked after the first couple tins, and found myself going to the 7/11 constantly that summer. Then, summer turned to fall, and winter, and spring, and next summer, and on and on and on. Before I knew it, I was on a $2000.00 a year habit. Eventually, I stopped even getting a rush from the nictotine and simply needed dip to "feel normal". I eventually began to feel ashamed of my disgusting habit and even hid it from my girlfriend for about a year and a half. And I often had to leave her place earlier than I wanted to to get back home to get my high. It was then that I realized I had a problem.

I tried to quit cold turkey several times, but just kept getting sucked back in. I knew I needed to try something new. So, I started buying nicorette. Nicorette did ease the pain of withdrawal quite a bit, but the problem with that stuff is that you end up actually increasing your nicotine intake, because, unlike, dip, you can chew it any time...at work, with your friends and family, everywhere. And it gets very expensive. And you're not getting any further away from being addicted to nicotine. And because the act of putting nicorette in your mouth is so similar to putting dip in your mouth, you say to yourself, "Why am I spending so much more on nicorette", when I can just use dip? Then, you just end up going back to the dip. But, that is just my experience. I tried quitting with nicorette about 10 times.

I have probably tried to quit dip about 30 times in the past 10 years. The longest I've gone is about 4 months. I've probably quit for a month about 5 times. Unfortunately, the "addict's mind" suckers me back into the habit. "just one last time". I hate it. I can barely watch movies about drug addiction, because I can so painfully relate to that situation, through my addiction to dip. I have set my quit date to today and even now I have what I'm hoping will be my last pinch in my mouth. It's a very scary thought to spit it out.

Luckily, I'm moving to Europe very soon, where it's illegal, so I can take some small comfort in knowing that it'll be unavailable to me there. I'm really hoping that this site will help keep me on track. I'm also very curious about people's opinions on the hoochsnuff product that I see advertised here. Does it really help? I know it doesn't give you any sort of rush, but maybe it would help getting over the habit of performing the rituals of using dip.

I wish everyone on here (myself included) the best of luck!

-S.

Hi, Kenny.

I read your quote about using nicorette and had to give you my personal experiences with that route...

I am 33 and have been using dip for the past 11 years. I started it in the summer of my last year of university. You see, I nearly failed a screenwriting class, but begged my teacher into giving me the summer to finish my script. Well....I hate writing and knew I needed a way to keep me at the computer for long hours at a time. I have no idea exactly what made me pick dipping tobacco, but I knew a few guys in highschool who did it and I'd also recently seen 'Saving Private Ryan', in which many of the soldiers used it. I thought that might do the trick.

Well. it did keep me at that computer, because it was a total rush. I was probably hooked after the first couple tins, and found myself going to the 7/11 constantly that summer. Then, summer turned to fall, and winter, and spring, and next summer, and on and on and on. Before I knew it, I was on a $2000.00 a year habit. Eventually, I stopped even getting a rush from the nictotine and simply needed dip to "feel normal". I eventually began to feel ashamed of my disgusting habit and even hid it from my girlfriend for about a year and a half. And I often had to leave her place earlier than I wanted to to get back home to get my high. It was then that I realized I had a problem.

I tried to quit cold turkey several times, but just kept getting sucked back in. I knew I needed to try something new. So, I started buying nicorette. Nicorette did ease the pain of withdrawal quite a bit, but the problem with that stuff is that you end up actually increasing your nicotine intake, because, unlike, dip, you can chew it any time...at work, with your friends and family, everywhere. And it gets very expensive. And you're not getting any further away from being addicted to nicotine. And because the act of putting nicorette in your mouth is so similar to putting dip in your mouth, you say to yourself, "Why am I spending so much more on nicorette", when I can just use dip? Then, you just end up going back to the dip. But, that is just my experience. I tried quitting with nicorette about 10 times.

I have probably tried to quit dip about 30 times in the past 10 years. The longest I've gone is about 4 months. I've probably quit for a month about 5 times. Unfortunately, the "addict's mind" suckers me back into the habit. "just one last time". I hate it. I can barely watch movies about drug addiction, because I can so painfully relate to that situation, through my addiction to dip. I have set my quit date to today and even now I have what I'm hoping will be my last pinch in my mouth. It's a very scary thought to spit it out.

Luckily, I'm moving to Europe very soon, where it's illegal, so I can take some small comfort in knowing that it'll be unavailable to me there. I'm really hoping that this site will help keep me on track. I'm also very curious about people's opinions on the hoochsnuff product that I see advertised here. Does it really help? I know it doesn't give you any sort of rush, but maybe it would help getting over the habit of performing the rituals of using dip.

-S.

Welcome Spencer and CRich,

You've come to the right place.

I had been dipping for 21 years and have been quit for 463 days now and I feel like I've been reborn. To follow through with this group, full speed ahead, truly intending to once and for all put this beast to bed, is the best decision you could make in your life (well, actually, never starting to dip could have been the best decision, but there's no need to go there).

I recommend that you do the following:

Read, read, read and then read some more...of the information on this site. Read all of it. When ever you have spare time, read. There is so much content, coming from so many different angles, that it can completely overwelm you. As you read more and more, you begin to digest that fact that for the past (insert number) years, you have slowly, methodically and deliberately been killing yourself, and destroying your life and your families and they hung on. Perhaps that appears strong, but for me that was the case. As you begin to read and learn more, you may find out that you were more controlled than you even realized.

There's different opinions on how you should quit. I'm a big fan of the cold turkey. You're going to have to get there sooner or later, and the chemical dependency phase is day 1-3 or 4 depending on you. It can affect people differently.

But if you use the people and tools of this site, you can do it. If I can do it, I guarantee you can do it.

Before this site, I learn that quitting was easy. Heck, I did it a thousand times. You get my point.

You need to sign in with you monthly HOF group here:

HOF Quit Groups

You will be in the MAY 2009 class. When you log in daily, that is your pledge to the guys in your group that you will not dip "TODAY." Yeah it's like AA, but this bitch is the most addictive shit you'll ever put into your body. That's what you have to say to yourself.

"TODAY, I will not dip. I'll worry about tomorrow tomorrow."

and

"Any excuse to take even just one dip is an addictive lie."

You get into your HOF (Hall of Fame) group, and meet you new brothers. You're all going through the same thing. Get their phone numbers and call if you are having a bad time. By the time you are off the phone, the crave is gone. Your commitment is to call all of your brothers before you take that dip, and ask for permission. Send me a PM and I will be glad to give you my number.

Those 1st few days are brutal, but you can do it. Then you have to commit everyday after. One the chemical phase if done, you must deal with the habitual phase. It took a long time to condition yourself to where you are now. It's not going to go away over night. But you and your life are worth it.

DO it!

One of the things that tends to overwhelm many quitters early in their quits is the concept of forever. As someone mentioned below, most of us only worry and foucus on our quit for today or for the present, right now. Quitters often try to think about what it's going to be like in 100 days, or sometimes those quitters only focus on 100 days. (I have actually seen alot of members "slip up" just after 100 days because their focus become day 200 instead of all the little milestone days they had leading up to 100. If you look to far into the future, our minds have a hard time grasping that amount of time and fathoming a quit for that long...and the mental games begin and the ideas of caving start filling our minds. It's just another level of the mental battles that we tend to bring on ourselves that we don't necissarily need to bring onto ourselves.

I would say the biggest reason why many of us will look forward in our quit instead of focusing on today is the pain of the withdrawl or fog or craves that we might be experiencing early in our quit. It's part of the healing process or cleansing process. It seems like a lot of things in life are difficult when we start out, and then as we get accustom to that particular thing, it slowly starts to get better and we become more comfortable with it. It is definitely an adjustment period in our lives, giving up dip

In the end, the committment and desire must come from within. The site can help, but we can't quit for you. This is YOUR JOURNEY, you make the decisions, you walk the trail, the site is merely a guide into that journey for you. Good luck and be careful as you start out. The footing can be a little slick in the beginning, but it gets better the further you go along.

-Penguin

Hi, Kenny.

-S.

I agree. Why postpone it with nicorette. I'm going cold turkey.

KennyS

a gallery section that will very well scare you quit!

That's what sealed the deal for me. When I thought to myself 18 days ago, "why don't I quit this stuff?", I looked on the net for resources about quitting dipping and came across this site. I saw the pics in the gallery and I was so freaked out then and there that I haven't had a dip since then. I ran out and bought my patches and here I am today, 18 days dip free and feeling good about it.

I'm glad that the pictures scared you, and they scared me too...temporarily. You'll come across a lot of info on the net saying how incredibly rare it is to get that sort of cancer from dip. So, once you read that, it could very quickly make you lose your fear and go back on the stuff. BUUUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTT....I think the one UNDENIABLE REASON to stay off the stuff is because of the way you become a SLAVE to it and have to plan your life around it. No one can deny this fact, not even the manufacturers of the product. And there is absolutely no denying the horrible social stigma attached to it. People will NEVER understand the addiction and just think you're gross, so you have to hide it. To a dip user, this is like hiding the fact that he breathes. What a horrible life....to have to go hiding something that you feel you have to do to "feel normal". This is the MOST important reason to quit. The fear from horrible pictures will wear off. Horrible pictures of diseased lungs on cigarette packs (in Canada, where I live) do NOTHING to deter smokers. What deters smokers is the social stigma. For some reason, smoking is more socially acceptable than doing dip, but eventually, as fewer and fewer people do it, it will seem just a weird as dip. All I have to do to want to quit is to picture myself hiding from the world, letting life pass me by, so I can sit on my couch doing dip. How pathetic is that? That's the reason to quit.

Well I guess right now in my life the pics of gnarly cancer are enough to scare me. I've still not been physically feeling quite right since I quit; its been 22 days. My mouth still feels very weird so I still have a bit of anxiety. I haven't been able to go to a doctor yet because I can't afford it till my health insurance kicks in (I just started working recently and the insurance is still taking its sweet time to kick in). Fortunately the sores in my mouth went away, but now I'm left with this weird sensation of dulled taste senses, and kind of just an overall dulled sensation to feeling in my mouth. Hopefully its just my body healing itself after 2 years of damage. I know that a lot of you guys have done this stuff for decades and are all right, my dad has too. I just hope I don't turn into one of the unlucky statistical anomalies.

Bit,

Your taste sensation will come back...and when it does, WOW! The dipping caused us to lose alot of our taste sensation...many of us had to add extra sauce or salt or seasoning to something just so we could taste it...when your taste does kick in, hold on to your horses, cause BAM, it hits. I think it was close to the 50 day mark when I REALLY started to taste things again.

Get in to see a dentist or dr. when your insurance kicks in to give yourself some peace of mind. I would be willing to bet, things are just fine with you.

ITs just so gnarly that this shit can fuck your mouth up so much, even in as little time as I was doing it. I feel more freaked out after quitting dipping than I did after quitting like 3 years of heroin and cocaine injections and like 3 years before that of oxycontin abuse. I was able to quit the hard stuff and feel relatively fine after I started eating right again, but I just feel so wacked out now that I have stopped dipping.

ITs just so gnarly that this shit can fuck your mouth up so much, even in as little time as I was doing it. I feel more freaked out after quitting dipping than I did after quitting like 3 years of heroin and cocaine injections and like 3 years before that of oxycontin abuse. I was able to quit the hard stuff and feel relatively fine after I started eating right again, but I just feel so wacked out now that I have stopped dipping.

Be strong bitkid. I'm at day 14 and it is tough. I also had a cocaine habit that I quit in the late '80s. That was very tough and left me with general anxiety issues as well as some depression. I kept doing Copenhagen with the rationalization that hell, I've already quit the really bad stuff coke, Copenhagen is my crutch. I deserve to do it. Well, after all these years, the anxiety and depression are still somewhat there. I know some of it is just in my genes and the way I view the world. But I've got to beleive that the chemicals flying out of the Cope and into my lip cannot be helping any. I'm working at my core character now and Copenhagen cannot be part of the equation any longer. It is scarey but it's a challenge I'm up for. Fighting through the fog and telling my story. Be strong brother.

Also Spencer, I can relate to this and it drive me that much harder:

"All I have to do to want to quit is to picture myself hiding from the world, letting life pass me by, so I can sit on my couch doing dip. How pathetic is that? That's the reason to quit."

SKOALGIRL88 - HAS ANYONE ELSE SEEN THIS B.S.?

This disgusts me...."Skoal Girl 88" on youtube. It's this cute, 19 year old girl who goes on Youtube and talks about how much she loves to dip. BULL SHIT! This is soooooo obviously viral internet marketing by Skoal. What evil bastards! There's no way the girl in this video would think dipping was that cool. If a girl like that were doing it in real life, she'd be sneaking it and ashamed of it, not broadcasting it to the world. Someone should really expose this...blow the doors off this horse shit. You can see her channel here:

http://ca.youtube.com/user/SkoalGirl88

It's so obviously fake. I have a friend who is in viral marketing, so I know how it works.