Quit Smokeless Community
Flavius Victor

The Cafe - 2009

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the replies - they really help. I am a patent attorney (engineer and attorney). Concentration is critical to me. My work load is huge. But, you are right - this is more important than anything. Look at the cancer gallery!

You are so right about "it is not a good time". There is always something that comes up.

I am a bit confused - I am using nicotine gum heavily. Is this okay? It helps me to keep a grip and concentrate a bit.

I will hold on - one minute at a time!!!

You are going to get several different answers. Some say that if it helps take the edge off, and helps keep dip out of your mouth, use it. Personally, NRT's of any kind only prolong the inevitable.

Get it all over with at once, make "the suck" as short as possible. It may sting a little more,but it will be for less time.

After 3 days of no nicotine, the cravings are all mental. You don't have to post day 1 if you use nic gum, but your body considers it day 1 since you are still using nic. It is your choice, but it seems that most in here will advise to use no nicotine at all.

You are in pretty good company. There are quite a few attorneys on here. Have you gone to the Lawyer's Thread yet?

Reading some of the cases and stories in there may help take your mind off things a little bit.

Hi All,

Currently at 21 hours. I cannot concentrate therefore I cannot work. The nature of my work requires me to concentrate. What do I do?

Head feels all numb at the top. Gums screaming for a dip..... Please help

Hooked:

I understand what you are going through. I had the same issue in that I am an attorney and my job requires concentration as well. On the other hand, for me, I had to quit. Failure was simply not an option for me.

I treated my quit in the first few days the same as I would a low grade fever. I had to go to work and I had to get a certain amount done. It sucked. No doubt about it. I gutted though it and I got done what I needed to get done.

My suggestion is to do what you do when you have a low grade fever. If you work through it, gut this out. If you take a sick day, take a sick day. Getting through the next week is as important as healing from the flu.

If there are ways to make the first week of a quit easy, I never found them. It takes determination. It is really easy to say this isn't a good time because....., things at work just won't let me..... Once I get these personal problems behind me..... and set your self up for failure. If you are looking for an excuse to go back to dip, you can find 100 of them every day. If you are serious about the quit you will quit.

Good luck.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the replies - they really help. I am a patent attorney (engineer and attorney). Concentration is critical to me. My work load is huge. But, you are right - this is more important than anything. Look at the cancer gallery!

You are so right about "it is not a good time". There is always something that comes up.

I am a bit confused - I am using nicotine gum heavily. Is this okay? It helps me to keep a grip and concentrate a bit.

I quit cold turkey. I read that the gum doesn't give you enough dosage to feel good and keeps you in a constant state of withdrawal. Once you decide to quit the nicotine gum, you have to go through the three days of physical withdrawal at that time. I also read that of those who quit cold turkey the percentage of those successful is actually higher then those who use a nicotine transmission system.

The first 5 days for me really sucked but after that it was easier (note I didn't say easy). It seemed to get a little easier everyday until about 30 days, I was about normal with what I could do. I still had my craves and my periods of funk but for the most part my work was normal by that time. P.M. me if you want my phone number. I would be happy to talk to you about what to expect as would about any veteran quitter on this site.

Donnie

Hi Everyone,

P.S. Still learning how to post. How do you put the previous post up there in a box with your reply below it?

I used the gum for 1 week. I went from a tin of Kodiak a day to 5 pieces of gum over the first weekend. Used 5 pieces a day to get me through work, and then gave the gum up the following weekend. Looking back, I wish I had just gone cold turkey from day 1. I had intense withdrawal symptoms the first three days on the gum. It leveled off somewhat during the week, and then ramped up again when I gave the nicotine up completely the following weekend. It may have made the symptoms less intense, but I ended up just prolonging the agony for another week.

pjacklin

Thanks for all the replies - it is helping. Now at 1 day, 2 hours and holding on....

Hooked,

I know what you mean about concentration. I'm a computer programmer and concentration is a big deal for me as well. I did quit cold turkey, but I used the herbal chew Smokey mountain. as well as cotton balls with Listerine on them. None of this helped with the nic withdrawals but it did wonders for the oral fixation. I used the herbal chew just like I used to use dip for the first 2 weeks and then started to pull myself away from the herbal chew. I won't lie it tastes like shit but then again dip didn't taste any better. I also drank coffee by the gallons! Always had this site up in the background on the computer and when I got overwhelmed with the craves I came hear and read all the posts that I could. Just remember it does get easier but it is never easy I'm only at day 38 and I still crave daily but most of them I can fight off now. occasionally I still use the herbal chew. Anything to keep you quit is okay just don't dip!!! I say if it will keep you off that shit then your winning! I also went as far as telling my mother in law (who lives with me) to help me and she treated me like a suspect by making me empty my pockets when I came home from the store and had my kids search my truck. If you need to talk to someone you can pm me and I'll give you my phone # and I'm sure others here will too. Just remember the next time that you have a crave and all the reasons for you to quit quitting are running through your head, that you only have to quit for that minute and when that minute passes repeat quitting for that minute. I know sounds simple, but it does work! I didn't believe it either I just blindly trusted the veterans of this site. It works man and you feel great once you get through that crave and succeed. I've only known one feeling in my life that was better and that was when my kids were born. If you have kids then they are the greatest motivation in the world to stay quit!!!!

Thanks for all the replies - it is helping. Now at 1 day, 2 hours and holding on....

Hooked,

I know what you mean about concentration. I'm a computer programmer and concentration is a big deal for me as well. I did quit cold turkey, but I used the herbal chew Smokey mountain. as well as cotton balls with Listerine on them. None of this helped with the nic withdrawals but it did wonders for the oral fixation. I used the herbal chew just like I used to use dip for the first 2 weeks and then started to pull myself away from the herbal chew. I won't lie it tastes like shit but then again dip didn't taste any better. I also drank coffee by the gallons! Always had this site up in the background on the computer and when I got overwhelmed with the craves I came hear and read all the posts that I could. Just remember it does get easier but it is never easy I'm only at day 38 and I still crave daily but most of them I can fight off now. occasionally I still use the herbal chew. Anything to keep you quit is okay just don't dip!!! I say if it will keep you off that shit then your winning! I also went as far as telling my mother in law (who lives with me) to help me and she treated me like a suspect by making me empty my pockets when I came home from the store and had my kids search my truck. If you need to talk to someone you can pm me and I'll give you my phone # and I'm sure others here will too. Just remember the next time that you have a crave and all the reasons for you to quit quitting are running through your head, that you only have to quit for that minute and when that minute passes repeat quitting for that minute. I know sounds simple, but it does work! I didn't believe it either I just blindly trusted the veterans of this site. It works man and you feel great once you get through that crave and succeed. I've only known one feeling in my life that was better and that was when my kids were born. If you have kids then they are the greatest motivation in the world to stay quit!!!!

I did SMC too. Weaned myself off of it 3 months ago then 2 days ago bought a couple cans because that is what I was craving... something in my lip. Wife thinks it may lead to dipping again, but I'm not after nicotine. I'm at day 203 and it's still one day at a time though, just like those that are at day 2000.

Whatever it takes to keep NB at bay. Its easier today than yesterday, but 20 years of dipping is a whole lot more than 200 days quit. It would be so easy to get back into it, but that is not an option today.

(Hey, I'm a poet and didn't even... realize it!_ B)

....I also drank coffee by the gallons!...

I made the same mistake, i.e. not knowing that nicotine halves the effect of caffeine, so by increasing my consumption of coffee after I quit dip, I doubled its effect. I thought I was dealing with HARD craves when, in fact, I was hyped up by an overload of cafeine.

My advice is to cut back on coffee for a few weeks and drink lots of water instead. Or, at least realize that some of the craziness you are experiencing is from caffeine.

Euty ~ Day 1,128 nicotine-FREE

Thank you all for the replies. This website is great and your posts really help. Knowing others have gone through this and actually quit is very inspiring to me.

I am in day 2. A tiny, tiny bit better than day 1. One day at a time. One minute at a time. Still using the nic gum - maybe a bit too much - about 30 pieces a day. I think I may stop the gum this weekend, or should I wait a bit longer?

I have an unopened can in the car. I think it is best to get rid of it.....

Thank you all for the replies. This website is great and your posts really help. Knowing others have gone through this and actually quit is very inspiring to me.

I am in day 2. A tiny, tiny bit better than day 1. One day at a time. One minute at a time. Still using the nic gum - maybe a bit too much - about 30 pieces a day. I think I may stop the gum this weekend, or should I wait a bit longer?

I have an unopened can in the car. I think it is best to get rid of it.....

I KNOW it is best to get rid of it.

Just thought of something...

We haven't seen a HOF speech in almost 2 months.

Good reminder, Ohioman.

My excuse, and I hope the board at QSSN understands, is that I'm flat broke. Just sold my house in Connecticut and bought a new one in Virgina and the closing costs in Virgina are steep. I don't want to write another speech until I can afford to buy a coin. Keep the faith. I haven't forgotten.

As excuses go, I'll take laziness, irresponsibility, recalcitrance, or shit-brained (I'm a little of all four), but "I can't afford a coin" is bullshit, my friend. If you've hit 100 days, this site has put an extra $500 to $600 in your pocket. You don't need to write a speech to buy a coin or support the site.

Just keeping my friends accountable...

No need for that, SM. What do you need an audit? Next time before I try to be conscientious, I'll think twice. And I didn't say I couldn't afford a coin--I said I couldn't afford one right now.

Though "the board at QSSN" hasn't officially weighed in on this, as a staff member I guess I'm one who's actually on said board. Speaking for myself, CWC, I can say there's no requirement that you buy a coin or write a HOF speech when you hit 100 days quit, though both are encouraged. In this economy, not everyone can always do the former, and some people just don't feel qualified or ready to do the latter. However, having read some of your work, I look forward to a speech from you at some point in time. But the important thing and the only real requirement on this site is that you do not use tobacco each and every day. As long as you're doing that, you're all right in my book. B)

Thanks Killer,

I commit to buying 5 coins at $10 each plus tax as soon as the coins are available. Once that order is placed, it will be my turn to call out that mama's boy, SerenityMan, to match the amount. Let the little man put his money where his big mouth is. I'm about as far from a cheapskate as someone can get and if Serenity Man wants to call me a liar he can visit me in Connecticut or Virginia and say it to my face. P.S. If you remove this post, remove the whole thread because yes, it is inflammatory for him to imply that I am lying about my quit.

Hooked,

I did SMC too. Weaned myself off of it 3 months ago then 2 days ago bought a couple cans because that is what I was craving... something in my lip. Wife thinks it may lead to dipping again, but I'm not after nicotine. I'm at day 203 and it's still one day at a time though, just like those that are at day 2000.

Whatever it takes to keep NB at bay. Its easier today than yesterday, but 20 years of dipping is a whole lot more than 200 days quit. It would be so easy to get back into it, but that is not an option today.

Ok I am having the concentration problems now also I have sat down to write the paper I need to have done by Sat four times now and cant sit still long enough to write it I am about halfway done but just when I get going good I just find myself off doing something else I think I have adult ADHD off of nicotine.

Hooked,

Ok I am having the concentration problems now also I have sat down to write the paper I need to have done by Sat four times now and cant sit still long enough to write it I am about halfway done but just when I get going good I just find myself off doing something else I think I have adult ADHD off of nicotine.

The "fog" does eventually lift. I also do a lot of writing, reading documents and oral presentations. The fog for me lasted only a couple days, but concentration was possible though fleeting at times. Suffering through a bit of fog is worth it though.

TM

Edited by tmaiberger

ou quit is okay just don't dip!!! I say if it will keep you off that shit then your winning! I also went as far as telling my mother in law (who lives with me)

The "fog" does eventually lift. I also do a lot of writing, reading documents and oral presentations. The fog for me lasted only a couple days, but concentration was possible though fleeting at times. Suffering through a bit of fog is worth it though.

TM

I can honestly say I thought the withdraws would be worse I know with alcohol it was pretty bad I had read in places that chewing addictions where as bad as heroin and Alcohol. For me I havent had that problem Thank God I can live with the foggy and no concentration I can always get meds that arent addicitive to help with that. Its the surges of energy I get that I wish would just stay I have 800 gallons of saltwater in my Mancave in a giant aquarium I have cleaned up my mancave gotten a crap done I should of had done months ago I am thinking about tackling the garage. I need to build a shed I think I could actually build it instead of buying a prebuilt one with all this energy.

we will see one day at a time.

My wife is always asking me about making plans to do stuff she hates that i never have made plans for anything since we met 4 yrs ago she got me pinned down on a wedding date a couple years ago but thats about all I think I was more told just to be there.

I live my life One day at a time I have done this going on 5 yrs I am telling you it works I dont usually worry about anything very much it seems to me everything works out and is clearer if you just stay in the day and take it one day at a time. B)

Regarding HOF Speeches and HOF Coins

I saw a discussion down the page regarding these and apparent confusion about whether these are required from the members here.

Just as Killer has stated. No one is required to purchase an HOF Coin and no one is required to write an HOF Speech. The coins are for your own personal reasons. If you want one, buy one; If you don't, don't. And the same holds true for HOF Speeches. No one is required to write one and, should you decide to write one, you certainly don't have to buy anything or donate anything to have it posted here.

The section for HOF Speeches is there to allow those who have reached that 100 day mark, contribute something back to the community and to encourage and inspire those who follow in your foot steps. Back several years ago, it was a big thing. If you didn't write one, then everyone in your quit group, and those who had already reached the Hall of Fame, would constantly bug you to write one until you finally gave in and did it. I guess today's groups just don't care as much about that stuff like they used to.

We understand that making donations or buying a coin or writing a speech or volunteering to help is not something for everyone. Some people just can't do that, and, that's ok. I would just encourage those people to find some other way to contribute. Like, sending a PM to someone in your group that you haven't heard from. Drop into another quit group and post something encouraging to someone who's struggling or, just try doing something more than just posting roll call for a change.

So, this is your community. Use it to it's fullest extent, but, remember this; Just as with any community, we all have a social responsibility to give back in some way to help make it better for everyone else.

Regarding HOF Speeches and HOF Coins

I saw a discussion down the page regarding these and apparent confusion about whether these are required from the members here.

Just as Killer has stated. No one is required to purchase an HOF Coin and no one is required to write an HOF Speech. The coins are for your own personal reasons. If you want one, buy one; If you don't, don't. And the same holds true for HOF Speeches. No one is required to write one and, should you decide to write one, you certainly don't have to buy anything or donate anything to have it posted here.

The section for HOF Speeches is there to allow those who have reached that 100 day mark, contribute something back to the community and to encourage and inspire those who follow in your foot steps. Back several years ago, it was a big thing. If you didn't write one, then everyone in your quit group, and those who had already reached the Hall of Fame, would constantly bug you to write one until you finally gave in and did it. I guess today's groups just don't care as much about that stuff like they used to.

We understand that making donations or buying a coin or writing a speech or volunteering to help is not something for everyone. Some people just can't do that, and, that's ok. I would just encourage those people to find some other way to contribute. Like, sending a PM to someone in your group that you haven't heard from. Drop into another quit group and post something encouraging to someone who's struggling or, just try doing something more than just posting roll call for a change.

So, this is your community. Use it to it's fullest extent, but, remember this; Just as with any community, we all have a social responsibility to give back in some way to help make it better for everyone else.

I haven't made a donation to this site in a while. I know that the coins are not 100% profit for you. Is this site doing okay for now? You've never asked for any support since I've been here. Quitting has saved me money. This site is a brotherhood. Nice avatar, mon.

Edited by Киров

Well I made it another day.....day 19 and proud of it......the ironic thing is I spent three office visits today counseling people on how to quit smoking........I have done this countless times in the past but I hope my experience with addiction, compassion, and drive will hopefully make a difference with patients.

Over the last several years I have felt like a hypocrite, but have actually been successful in getting people to quit smoking on numerous occasions despite my occult addiction.......Hands down I feel so much better without the nicotine addiction.....This addiction does not discriminate and involves young, old, rich and poor........As a doctor I am proud to say I am nicotine free and I will not dip today.....Well there you have it my big secret is out. Judge me if you like but I am human like the rest of you..........

Well I made it another day.....day 19 and proud of it......the ironic thing is I spent three office visits today counseling people on how to quit smoking........I have done this countless times in the past but I hope my experience with addiction, compassion, and drive will hopefully make a difference with patients.

Over the last several years I have felt like a hypocrite, but have actually been successful in getting people to quit smoking on numerous occasions despite my occult addiction.......Hands down I feel so much better without the nicotine addiction.....This addiction does not discriminate and involves young, old, rich and poor........As a doctor I am proud to say I am nicotine free and I will not dip today.....Well there you have it my big secret is out. Judge me if you like but I am human like the rest of you..........

No problem, doc. Keep up the good work and go to bed a little bit earlier. B)

You are doing the right thing, Doc. We know what this addiction does to us. When one of your patients come in and tell you how hard it is. You can sympathize with them, but you also can tell them you know because you went through it yourself. In a way that makes you more credible.

You are doing the right thing, Doc. We know what this addiction does to us. When one of your patients come in and tell you how hard it is. You can sympathize with them, but you also can tell them you know because you went through it yourself. In a way that makes you more credible.

Hey Doc, take 2 of these and post up in the morning!

Day 3. Insane withdrawal even on nic gum. Worse day yet. Not sure if I can hold on Helpppppp

Are you eating 3 squares and cutting back on caffeine?

Day 3. Insane withdrawal even on nic gum. Worse day yet. Not sure if I can hold on Helpppppp

Simple question, but great advice from Euty there. Do like he says and it'll work wonders to help manage all the crazy feelings in your head.

Simple question, but great advice from Euty there. Do like he says and it'll work wonders to help manage all the crazy feelings in your head.

Take it from

(no Euty, not you) B)

Edited by Truckerick

You better grab some QUIT! Mix a little determination with a shot of "f tobacco" and drink it down. Eat sunflower seeds until can't eat anymore. Chew beef jerkey until your teeth surrender. If you get past this crave - you are QUIT.

You better grab some QUIT! Mix a little determination with a shot of "f tobacco" and drink it down. Eat sunflower seeds until can't eat anymore. Chew beef jerkey until your teeth surrender. If you get past this crave - you are QUIT.

Hang tough, keep reaching out. This is up to you, mind over matter, easier said than done, I know first hand. You got to kick the NB, gum and all. Let go of it all and quit extending the pain. Once you let all nic go you will feel much better. Some of the vets here will offer some sage advice.