Quit Smokeless Community
Sign in to follow this  
Flavius Victor

The Cafe - 2009

Hi...

Im Chris's (DKs) little brother and he caught me dipping and made me sign up for this. I didnt want to at first but then he showed me his gums and how pulled back the gum lines are and it freaked me out

SO

Heres my first day!! Wish me luck i guess

T, it's great that you're quitting but this quit NEEDS to be for you. Chances are it won't work if you do it for someone else. You're gonna be going through some pain here pretty quick and it's all gonna be DK's fault unless

you take ownership of this quit. The "...I guess" comment also has me a bit concerned. It's almost like you're not sure that this is what you want to do. This quit needs to be for YOU and it needs to be something that YOU'RE ready to do. A quit isn't based on "luck"...it's based on hard work, dedication and comitment. Luck isn't going to keep dip out of your mouth...a conscious effort from you is. It's gonna be a rough road for you but I guarantee that it's well worth the struggle...you will be free from the thing that has you by the balls.

Welcome to the site...you'll do fine.

Go easy on him christ! I can kick his ass in real life anyway don't need to cybershut him down! B)

Going to the doctor tomorrow, sore throat for 5 weeks now. Hoping it's just some kind of strep throat.

Best of luck man. I'll pray for you, and if that doesn't work, me and Truckerick will sacrifice a goat.

I know 3 days doesn't sound like much to some of the "Old Timers", but, to me, it is a step in the right direction.

Anyway, I will just keep plugging away.

I disagree.

I think some of the people that know best about how great it is are old timers. Trust me, none of them are about to scoff at your three days. No one, Honestly- well, except maybe Truckerick. But that's him.

Keep Plugging away! (No clue what that means but yeah!)

Hey! I resemble that comment! B) Just be warned, the full line of Truckerick's Quitting Products awaits those who cave. The "new" self-loathing beat down CD is now on the market. Narrated by Truckerick with a special berating by SteveTheBuilder! (also available on cassette)

I will wait for the box set with special bonus footage DVD

Hi...

Im Chris's (DKs) little brother and he caught me dipping and made me sign up for this. I didnt want to at first but then he showed me his gums and how pulled back the gum lines are and it freaked me out

SO

Heres my first day!! Wish me luck i guess

T, it's great that you're quitting but this quit NEEDS to be for you. Chances are it won't work if you do it for someone else. You're gonna be going through some pain here pretty quick and it's all gonna be DK's fault unless

you take ownership of this quit. The "...I guess" comment also has me a bit concerned. It's almost like you're not sure that this is what you want to do. This quit needs to be for YOU and it needs to be something that YOU'RE ready to do. A quit isn't based on "luck"...it's based on hard work, dedication and comitment. Luck isn't going to keep dip out of your mouth...a conscious effort from you is. It's gonna be a rough road for you but I guarantee that it's well worth the struggle...you will be free from the thing that has you by the balls.

Welcome to the site...you'll do fine.

Go easy on him christ! I can kick his ass in real life anyway don't need to cybershut him down! B)

DK, just saw some stuff in his post that raised a red flag. The quit needs to be for him...not for you. He said you made him sign up. It's good that you showed him your gums and that it got his addention...that may be all the motivation he needed to quit for himself. I don't know how old he is or how long he's been dipping but if he recently started dipping maybe he's not so anchored in to the addiction and habit of dipping that he might have an easier time. It's not my intention to shut him down...it's to get his mind heading in the right direction right out of the gate. If he's going into this quit thinking "I don't really want to quit but my fucker brother is making me" odds are it ain't going to work. Now if he's thinking "I don't want to dip anymore...it was stupid to ever get started" then the outcome may be more favorable.

Apparently Trucker heard there was a sale on peppermint flavored supositories and blow up dolls on the east side of the tracks!

wtfhappened.jpg

Back in for some stress relief. Yesterday, the wife and I had a little tiff. I blew up about something that was completely senseless. Bad enough that for the first time in the 14 years that my wife and I have been married, she left for work without saying anything to me. Here is where the interesting part comes in. After she left, I immediately went to my truck. I know everyone told me to get rid of ALL snuff. Well, I kept a can in my truck, just in case. I went to my truck, grabbed the can, and..............I stared at that can for about 10 minutes really wanting to fill my mouth with that stuff. I even opened in and had my grubby little fingers in the can. After about 10 minutes, I walked over to the trash can and emptied the can in the trash and threw the can away. I just could not force myself to give up yet. I really want to make this quit work. I actually felt great for being able to throw the can away without putting any of it in my mouth. Now, after feeling that, I don't think that I could give in now if I wanted to. Don't get me wrong, I kept wanting to go dig it out of the trash, but, just couldn't do it.

Anyway, just wanted to share my little triumph.

Back in for some stress relief. Yesterday, the wife and I had a little tiff. I blew up about something that was completely senseless. Bad enough that for the first time in the 14 years that my wife and I have been married, she left for work without saying anything to me. Here is where the interesting part comes in. After she left, I immediately went to my truck. I know everyone told me to get rid of ALL snuff. Well, I kept a can in my truck, just in case. I went to my truck, grabbed the can, and..............I stared at that can for about 10 minutes really wanting to fill my mouth with that stuff. I even opened in and had my grubby little fingers in the can. After about 10 minutes, I walked over to the trash can and emptied the can in the trash and threw the can away. I just could not force myself to give up yet. I really want to make this quit work. I actually felt great for being able to throw the can away without putting any of it in my mouth. Now, after feeling that, I don't think that I could give in now if I wanted to. Don't get me wrong, I kept wanting to go dig it out of the trash, but, just couldn't do it.

You just made it through one of the big hurdles, dealing with an emotional issue that in the past we all used the can to "deal" with (except it really wasn't dealing with the issue at all). Congrats on that step - use it as strength for the next time.

BTL

Going to the doctor tomorrow, sore throat for 5 weeks now. Hoping it's just some kind of strep throat.

Best of luck man. I'll pray for you, and if that doesn't work, me and Truckerick will sacrifice a goat.

thanks, since I don't have health insurance I talked to the doctor, and it was decided that I would take some antibiotics for 10 days and hope it goes away. Both my ears were infected along with my throat. Said it was probably some form of strep and gave me penicillin. If it doesn't get better in the next 5 days I'm going back for the cancer tests. Thanks for the post Da Kid.

(I'm waiting on those goat pics TR)

This is exactly why you want to make sure you get rid of EVERY can when you quit...that can could have EASILY caused you to fail. You were lucky that you happened to go to your truck when you did, and not any sooner, as you still might have been upset enough to justify that dip, or better yet, that failure. Think about WHY you left that "stash" can...you knew exactly what you were doing when you did that, you had already told yourself that you were going to fail at this quit...no other reason, otherwise, it would have been trashed with all the other cans. That "just in case I need it" excuse is just sugar coating, "this way I don't have to drive all the way out to the C-store when I decide to fail". I think you were lucky you invested enough of yourself into the site, read enough to change your mind about your quit...but even the best quitter can have that one single momentary lapse in judgment and fail because they had set themselves up for it.

I hope you don't feel I am crushing your success, that is not my intention. In fact, I am hoping that others read your story and my response, and it helps them see what they might be doing by stashing a can. But I do want you to realize, you snuck by on the skin of your teeth on this one. Do NOT get cocky and put yourself in other difficult situations like you did with the stashed tin.

And hopefully, this will give those quitters who keep a "trophy" can around something more to think about. (Trophy can = a full tin of snuff that they keep with them because they feel that is their inspiration to quit...that they have that tin within a hands reach at anytime and they can refuse the urge or desire). I am sure we have had one or 2 success stories to the HOF with a trophy can (as if we do, I am sure we will hear about it in a response to this post), but I am sure we have had many more failures due to trophy cans. It is not worth the risk in my opinion.

Congrats on getting through unscathed It622...in the future, don't make your quit any more difficult than it needs to be or take any unnecessary risks. Listen to the advice that the vets share here, they know what they are saying when they tell you "Get rid of all your cans, empty the contents out, wash the tin out, throw it away, etc. etc. etc." They have seen the same exact scenerio as what you went through, and they have seen it end up in failure. We want to see everyone here succeed, that's why we all come back and share our thoughts, our advice, our encouragement to the new quitters...because there were vets who did the same for us, and who wanted to see us succeed as well. There is no "I had it the worst, so you need to listen to me" syndrome here, because there is always someone here who dipped more, dipped longer or had a tougher quit than all of us. We help out because there were people who were there to help us. They told us what to avoid and not to get too "comfortable" or "cocky" in our quits...so we are passing that on to you.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone....I am sure this will be one that you all will be thankful for! On a side note, be sure to log on the site if you are having a rough day (the holidays can be brutal early in a quit). I am not sure how active the site will be on Turkey Day...but atleast you can read HOF speeches and articles if you need a distraction. If you know you might be facing some difficult situations, try to get some contact info from quitters like email or cell phone numbers. It can mean the difference between having a successful holiday or a failed quit.

-Penguin

Oh man, where to start?

First off great job on getting through this without caving. Now when everybody here tells you to get rid of all your tins why did you think they said that...just to be mean to you? For christ sake...what the hell were you thinking about saving a tin...what were you possibly thinking about doing with it. When you come to QS and post in your group it's your way of saying you're done with the shit...not just for a week or a 100 days...but you're done for good. By keeping a tin you're subconsciously telling yourself that this quit won't be for long..."I'll be digging into it before the expiration date". Now, if that tin wouldn't have been there you could have completely avoided 10 minutes of sheer agony...just think how stupid you looked...sniffing a tin, stirring your fingers around the shit and then sniffing your fingers. Just think how stupid you would have looked up to your shoulders in the garbage can searching for one single pinch of dip. There are things said on this site that are designed to help you quit...and getting rid of all your tins is WAY up on the priority list.

You then went on to say "I just could not force myself to give up yet" WHAT????? "YET"????? Are you going to be able to force yourself to give up later? There's no "give up" on this site...you're here to quit...not to take a break!!

I don't know what day you're on but you really need to take to heart the important things that are said around here with regards to how to quit and you need to get your mind wrapped around the fact that there is no "giving up" in the future for you.

Now, for the fight you had with your wife. This is a classic tactic of a quitter looking for an excuse to cave. We don't have the balls to just run to the store (or in your case...the truck!) and buy a tin and start caving. We need to have a REASON to cave. That reason is a fight with a loved one or boss. We're in a pissed off mood anyway but when we confront our wife and stir up a flaming shit storm because the knife is on the wrong side of the plate...that's our little way of making it our wives fault that we caved. First off, it's not your wifes fault you were a dumbass and started dipping...that goes 100% on you. You best leave your wife alone and start bringing your pissed off attitude in here where we have professionals standing by to receive said storm.

Again, good job on avoiding the cave and I'm truly glad you didn't...now go out and get rid of those other "hidey tins"!!!

Oh man, where to start?

First off great job on getting through this without caving. Now when everybody here tells you to get rid of all your tins why did you think they said that...just to be mean to you? For christ sake...what the hell were you thinking about saving a tin...what were you possibly thinking about doing with it. When you come to QS and post in your group it's your way of saying you're done with the shit...not just for a week or a 100 days...but you're done for good. By keeping a tin you're subconsciously telling yourself that this quit won't be for long..."I'll be digging into it before the expiration date". Now, if that tin wouldn't have been there you could have completely avoided 10 minutes of sheer agony...just think how stupid you looked...sniffing a tin, stirring your fingers around the shit and then sniffing your fingers. Just think how stupid you would have looked up to your shoulders in the garbage can searching for one single pinch of dip. There are things said on this site that are designed to help you quit...and getting rid of all your tins is WAY up on the priority list.

You then went on to say "I just could not force myself to give up yet" WHAT????? "YET"????? Are you going to be able to force yourself to give up later? There's no "give up" on this site...you're here to quit...not to take a break!!

I don't know what day you're on but you really need to take to heart the important things that are said around here with regards to how to quit and you need to get your mind wrapped around the fact that there is no "giving up" in the future for you.

Now, for the fight you had with your wife. This is a classic tactic of a quitter looking for an excuse to cave. We don't have the balls to just run to the store (or in your case...the truck!) and buy a tin and start caving. We need to have a REASON to cave. That reason is a fight with a loved one or boss. We're in a pissed off mood anyway but when we confront our wife and stir up a flaming shit storm because the knife is on the wrong side of the plate...that's our little way of making it our wives fault that we caved. First off, it's not your wifes fault you were a dumbass and started dipping...that goes 100% on you. You best leave your wife alone and start bringing your pissed off attitude in here where we have professionals standing by to receive said storm.

Again, good job on avoiding the cave and I'm truly glad you didn't...now go out and get rid of those other "hidey tins"!!!

Man, I am really glad that I came to this site. I would really like to say thanks to Penguin and Capt Kirk. Thanks for the brutal honesty. I guess the "just in case" can was me not being sure that I could quit this time. I have tried several times before and failed. I was not looking for a reason to cave, at least I don't think. She just said something that hit a nerve, unfortunately, I did have that "just in case" can. Trust me, I do not blame my wife for making me put that shit in my mouth in the first place, that is 100% my own doing. Like both of you said, I set myself up to fail. Luckily for me, I didn't fail this time, as I did just recently before. I can asure everyone here that I no longer have any hidden, or just in case cans around any longer. I actually THINK I feel better not having one that I could resort to in atough moment. Again, thanks for all of the brutal honesty. That and all of the success stories that I read are very encouraging.

prison guards don't give the prisoners key's just in case they want to get out (no, Otis doesn't count).

Oh man, where to start?

Man, I am really glad that I came to this site. I would really like to say thanks to Penguin and Capt Kirk. Thanks for the brutal honesty. I guess the "just in case" can was me not being sure that I could quit this time. I have tried several times before and failed. I was not looking for a reason to cave, at least I don't think. She just said something that hit a nerve, unfortunately, I did have that "just in case" can. Trust me, I do not blame my wife for making me put that shit in my mouth in the first place, that is 100% my own doing. Like both of you said, I set myself up to fail. Luckily for me, I didn't fail this time, as I did just recently before. I can asure everyone here that I no longer have any hidden, or just in case cans around any longer. I actually THINK I feel better not having one that I could resort to in atough moment. Again, thanks for all of the brutal honesty. That and all of the success stories that I read are very encouraging.

The interesting thing I have learned here at the site is how we post what we think. Simple words that we write, yet we don't even think about personally, yet it tells the world what we are thinking. I always encourage quitters to use POSITIVE words about their quit such as WILL and CAN do it, not HOPE or WISH...those "negative" words unleash your subconscience thoughts...and they become "red flags" for us to see here at QS. When we see them, we are sure to blow the horn and alert you or whoever it may be, to the slippery slope they are currently walking on.

As I tell my students, if we didn't care, we wouldn't waste our time saying anything. We'd just sit back and watch the flames engulf.

This addiction will do WHATEVER it can to get us to go back. It has no feelings, it can not be pissed off, it can not hold a grudge...it will do anything it can to convince you to go back and have a dip. That is why addiction is so dangerous and it is why people with alot of days under their belt end up repeating day one sometimes.

If you are conscience about what you write, you will become conscience of your true thoughts (in my opinion).

Have a great dip free Thanksgiving! (And be sure to do something special for your wife a few weeks from now....because she will deserve it for putting up with your miserable butt for a couple of the toughest weeks of your life!)

-Penguin

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

And thank you for being there for me. Without you, 1800 days would not have been possible.

And thank you for being there for me. Without you, 1800 days would not have been possible.

Happy Thanksgiving and congrats on 1800.

And thank you for hosting the party!!

Edited by Donnie

Giving Back

The past few weeks I've been reminiscing about alot. How quitting has change my life, how it has defined me as an individual and how it has graciously given back to me and my family. Quitting has given me my freedom. My life.

I've written to you here personally many times to vent, laugh and yes even cry. But today I asked my husband to write down his feelings about this journey and what my quit has meant to him. This is the first time he has ever expressed on paper (I'll be typing it afterwards) or to me how this has affected him. I must say this site and my fellow quitters here are my backbone but he's truly my foundation. Each of you here hold me up while he supports me so I may never have to falter.

My wife used smokeless tobacco for over 20 years and for most of those years I could not understand why someone could do something that was so detrimental to their body but was also in my mind disgusting. We fought constantly over this a-d-d-i-c-t-i-o-n.

There I said it!

It took a very long time for me to come to these terms. You see I had never been addicted to anything. I had no vices or anything I needed to have to help. This was new and I definitely didn't understand or agree with it out of ignorance I later learned. And we all know ignorance isn't the not knowing - it's the not wanting to know. I think I was in denial somehow for so long that I didn't take the time to see what was going on. I never tried to understand why this was happening. My solution was just to voice my opinion on why I didn't like it and maybe she would quit. Again I didn't KNOW.

Now fast forward this, some years and I found out I did have an addiction of my own.

My wife. You see that is one thing I couldn't go with out daily and we were going to get through this. I, however, cannot take any credit for her fighting this addiction and winning .. maybe a small part. But you see it was her own strength and determination along with the Quit sites she found and regularly attended that made the difference, It was those people fighting their own addictions that banded together to beat this monster. Their strength, their stories was that extra motivation needed to do it.

One more thing we later learned my wife was diagnosed with a mental illness called bipolar disorder which if anyone knows is a tremendous battle in itself. Now I know why it was that much more of an accomplishment to have QUIT. So now our lifes take this new road and hopefully we'll beat this monster and if it takes 20 plus years I do know this I'll still be addicted to Nicole Ann Lynch forever.

Paul

That's the first time my husband has ever spoke about my quit .. other than congratulations during my milestones. After my quit, it always seemed to me like he never wanted to talk about my dirty little secret anymore.

I'm so thankful I asked him to take a moment to express what it's like being on the other side. I'm so thankful for finding you and this site, the wonderful encouragment here and the endless inspiration you have given to me. I hope that you are able to take something away from this today and share it with another.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

much love,

mylilsecret

Day 1058

Happy Thanksgiving and congrats on 1800.

And thank you for hosting the party!!

I echo the sentiments...Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Awfully quiet in here... B)

I am still eatting Turkey...it's still the Holiday weekend!!!! "can you pass some more greenbean cassarole? and the pie!!! pass me another piece of pie!

Awfully quiet in here... B)

I am still eatting Turkey...it's still the Holiday weekend!!!! "can you pass some more greenbean cassarole? and the pie!!! pass me another piece of pie!

Me too. We're down to about the last of it. Making soup tonight, and then there's just about enough meat left for a few sandwiches. I've got about 1/2 each of an apple and a pumpkin pie. It's all yours if you want it.

Next weekend I eat pork!

I have been pretty sick for the past week, not posting, but not dipping either. Cable TV is kinda boring during the day.

While scanning the guide, I came across a show called "Dipping with Dexter".

It can't be. I had to look. Well, it was a collection of videos narrated by some kid that seemed to want to host for E!

All I can say is wow. I actually did some of the stuff that they did on there.