Quit Smokeless Community
Flavius Victor

The Cafe - 2009

Malcolm94, I'm so happy to see you back & quit again! And thank you for remembering lil 'ole me!

Wow...I am back here after being quit for a couple years. then I started up again for almost a year. Now I am on day 12. I don't remember anyone from my group but after I read this I DO remember one member and that's mylilsecret! Way to go! I am glad your still here and that you have made it with out going back. By-the-way, we have a good friend who is bipolar and she was also a heavy smoker and drinker. Seven years later she has not had a drink, quit smoking about two years ago and through proper medication has her bipolar disorder under control. So good luck because I know you can beat that also.

Malcolm94

-------------------------------------------------------

Giving Back

The past few weeks I've been reminiscing about alot. How quitting has change my life, how it has defined me as an individual and how it has graciously given back to me and my family. Quitting has given me my freedom. My life.

I've written to you here personally many times to vent, laugh and yes even cry. But today I asked my husband to write down his feelings about this journey and what my quit has meant to him. This is the first time he has ever expressed on paper (I'll be typing it afterwards) or to me how this has affected him. I must say this site and my fellow quitters here are my backbone but he's truly my foundation. Each of you here hold me up while he supports me so I may never have to falter.

My wife used smokeless tobacco for over 20 years and for most of those years I could not understand why someone could do something that was so detrimental to their body but was also in my mind disgusting. We fought constantly over this a-d-d-i-c-t-i-o-n.

There I said it!

It took a very long time for me to come to these terms. You see I had never been addicted to anything. I had no vices or anything I needed to have to help. This was new and I definitely didn't understand or agree with it out of ignorance I later learned. And we all know ignorance isn't the not knowing - it's the not wanting to know. I think I was in denial somehow for so long that I didn't take the time to see what was going on. I never tried to understand why this was happening. My solution was just to voice my opinion on why I didn't like it and maybe she would quit. Again I didn't KNOW.

Now fast forward this, some years and I found out I did have an addiction of my own.

My wife. You see that is one thing I couldn't go with out daily and we were going to get through this. I, however, cannot take any credit for her fighting this addiction and winning .. maybe a small part. But you see it was her own strength and determination along with the Quit sites she found and regularly attended that made the difference, It was those people fighting their own addictions that banded together to beat this monster. Their strength, their stories was that extra motivation needed to do it.

One more thing we later learned my wife was diagnosed with a mental illness called bipolar disorder which if anyone knows is a tremendous battle in itself. Now I know why it was that much more of an accomplishment to have QUIT. So now our lifes take this new road and hopefully we'll beat this monster and if it takes 20 plus years I do know this I'll still be addicted to Nicole Ann Lynch forever.

Paul

That's the first time my husband has ever spoke about my quit .. other than congratulations during my milestones. After my quit, it always seemed to me like he never wanted to talk about my dirty little secret anymore.

I'm so thankful I asked him to take a moment to express what it's like being on the other side. I'm so thankful for finding you and this site, the wonderful encouragment here and the endless inspiration you have given to me. I hope that you are able to take something away from this today and share it with another.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

much love,

mylilsecret

Day 1058

Hey there Jimdaddy,

Don't bet on being nice around Christmas! On one of my earlier posts I told of almost taking a guy down at my towns Christmas tree recycling spot because he boxed me in with his car. Going into that great time of the year on my second quite now I seem to be once again the biggest DICK on the planet. So I guess at least you will be able to say, "well hell, at least I'm not as bad as Malcolm. " Right now, I am sitting in my work office. Why is that at almost 9pm? I am not at home because I got into a big fight with my wife. Biggest fight I've had in years. Anyway, do your quit. Try not to be as big of an asshole as me though ok. Get started. Know you will not always be thinking with a clear head. Trust me on this one. Rest assured, you will hear a voice in your head that rationalizes why you really dont want to quit. Plan on it. Just know it isn't you it's the chew talking so you can ignore it.

It's great your daughter is a Rodeo Princess. I bet she's a great kid. Tell her and her baseball player brother that you will likely be nutty for awhile and you may even be a jerk to them but in the end they will get their Dad back. Good luck bro. This takes a different kind of toughness than you're used to but I know you can do it and so can I. By-the-way I'm aware I babble on here a lot but it keeps me from chewing. Right at this moment I am a bit nuts with out my can of chew. Hard to even type the word chew but strangely enough, I am not even considering dipping.

Regards,

Malcolm94

------------

AARRGHH,

I know this is going to suck... so I set a date a week from now. Last time I tried to quit was YEARS ago, and it sucked then, so if anything, I expect it to be worse. So, how do you keep from being a complete AH to the wife?--when she asked me "how are you doing" 57 times a day last time, it just reminded me how miserable I was. Crap, I think I went into a genuine manic episode last time, so the doctor has even offered up drugs to help wean me off the stuff. I told both the wife and the Dr. that until I WANT to stop, no one should even bother hoping. It at least made me grin to read of some other folks that have made midnight runs to the quicky-mart in the snow for a can of snuff, or impromptu dashes away from work at 2:00 in the afternoon. That monkey on my back has a tight freakin' grip. It's reassuring to hear other folks have suffered through the quit and have been able to stick with it.

So, my daughter is a Rodeo Princess now (crowned on my birthday in Oct.), and my little boy lives and breathes baseball (I was a rookie coach this year)... between cowboys and hurlers, neither of them stand a chance. My Dad warned me as a kid to never get hooked on tobacco, but here I am warning my kids the same way--he had a pack a smokes in his pocket 24/7, and I have a faded circle in every pair of jeans I own (hmm, except the new pair my wife bought me for the pageant, my inspiration is going to be to keep it that way). So, my daughter grabbed my coat last night to go and feed the horses, my can chew was in it, the pipes were all froze up, so she was out there for 30 minutes, and I honestly got ticked that it took that long for her to get back in the house. How pathetic is that? (Nothing at all dramatic, trust me, but I found myself shoving my hand in the coat pocket before she even took the damn thing off.) As corny as it sounds, I need to kick the stuff to the curb and not look back.

I'll count this as the first shot across the bow (Navy-type guy) and a committment to make it work this time. How the hell does a 46 yo man become a slave to a little can of processed leaves? In the mean time, I'll spend the next week trying to taper off a bit--maybe I'll get up the guts to tell my family my intentions in that amount of time before I jump in with both feet. I figure that the Christmas season will FORCE me to be nice regardless of how much of an AH I might otherwise be.

Wish me luck. I'm going to need all the support I can get. Here's to hoping I'll point at this post as a first step a few months from now. Thanks for the ear. -jimdaddy

Angry and depressed feeling this morning. This morning I thought...why is my wife being such bitch lately!!!

I actually thought that. Then I realized it was me that was being the dick. It's like everything she does is

irrating to me all of a sudden. 24 days into my quite and I'm starting to feel pissed all the time. Ahhhh shit...These are my first feelings of being depressed since starting my quite. I have tons of work to get done today and unfortunately my work involves talking to people who I have to pretend to be friendly, professional and chatty with. I just want to sit here and do nothing. Sorry for my childish rant. Just fucking venting!! SHIT SHIT SHIT

By-the-way STovehead...YOU HANG IN THERE BUDDY. IF I CAN DO THIS SHIT SO YOU CAN. FIGURE IT OUT. MAKE IT HAPPEN.

IT CAN BE DONE. YOU CAN QUITE. BELIEVE THAT. KNOW IT. THOSE LITTLE VOICES WE HEAR TELLING US WE DONT WANT TO QUIT ARE NOT OUR VOICES. THAT'S THE CHEW.

there is only one thing you need to do today: stay quit. Here is something written by a veteran quitter that may help:

Spongebob Mantra:

There is only one thing that i must accomplish today, and that is to not chew. If I get other things done today, great. But everything else has second priority for now. Soon I'll be able to focus on those other things too. But for right now, for today, this is the only thing that matters. I won't demand more of myself, and I won't get down on myself for not doing anything else if I don't get to it. This is damn damn damn hard work, and it's the most important work that I have right now. I'll be truly and sincerely proud if I meet no goals today other than keeping that crap out of my mouth.

Stay Strong and remember we can do this - take it one day at a time, and we will worry about tomorrow tomorrow!

Rodeo Timer

------------------Thank you Rodeo Timer for taking your time to post that. I appreciate it. malcolm94

Still here. B ball fool don't you know it's finals week? Jeez I hardly have time to breath!

Dig all the new quitters though, we have some wordsmiths up in here. see if they can walk the walk too.

Here we go AGAIN. After a long talk with my wife I'm gonna try to quit, again. After 12 years of marriage I haven't seen her this serious, or scared, regarding my tobacco use. I'm not having any health problems and she would like to keep it that way. Like an alcoholic, I'm an addict. I've been dipping or chewing since I was 16 years old but mainly dipping. In other words I've been using tobacco for roughly 26 years of my 42 year life span. I started with the strongest stuff on the market which was Mail Pouch chewing tobacco and eventually went to Copenhagen but recently sticking to the cheaper Grizzly. I've actually quit for over a year a couple of times but I end up buying that ONE can and the addiction takes over again. I know how to quit but I always seem to get sucked back in during a time of weakness. I have a better chance now because in the past I worked with all most all men who dipped but recently I've changed careers and now I work with only women. None of them dip. B) I going to try nico-patches with non-tobacco snuff. I know that once I quit that I absolutely can not buy that ONE can. I know that I'm going to have a tuff time because when not working and not sleeping I usually have an average of one dip an hour. The idea of failure scares me and this time I pretty anxious about it, which I've never been before. I've placed an order with Hooch Snuff and hopefully it's better then Smokey Mountain Chew because I hate it. My last dip will be Dec 31st and I hope that it will be the last. Wish me luck.

Here we go AGAIN. After a long talk with my wife I'm gonna try to quit, again. After 12 years of marriage I haven't seen her this serious, or scared, regarding my tobacco use. I'm not having any health problems and she would like to keep it that way. Like an alcoholic, I'm an addict. I've been dipping or chewing since I was 16 years old but mainly dipping. In other words I've been using tobacco for roughly 26 years of my 42 year life span. I started with the strongest stuff on the market which was Mail Pouch chewing tobacco and eventually went to Copenhagen but recently sticking to the cheaper Grizzly. I've actually quit for over a year a couple of times but I end up buying that ONE can and the addiction takes over again. I know how to quit but I always seem to get sucked back in during a time of weakness. I have a better chance now because in the past I worked with all most all men who dipped but recently I've changed careers and now I work with only women. None of them dip. B) I going to try nico-patches with non-tobacco snuff. I know that once I quit that I absolutely can not buy that ONE can. I know that I'm going to have a tuff time because when not working and not sleeping I usually have an average of one dip an hour. The idea of failure scares me and this time I pretty anxious about it, which I've never been before. I've placed an order with Hooch Snuff and hopefully it's better then Smokey Mountain Chew because I hate it. My last dip will be Dec 31st and I hope that it will be the last. Wish me luck.

Well, Let's just go all the way! Don't play with it. I'm going to whisk you away to a deserted island. There is no tobacco there. You just washed up on shore. Oh my Gawd!! Whatever shall I do? Uh... how bout making a living?, taking care of your family?, building a shelter?, catching some food?...... I think you get the point. I don't believe in "half measures" (that's for you SM) Take the bull by the horns and be somebody.

We don't need tobacco to live!

"The World According to Truckerick"

Edited by Truckerick

Well, Let's just go all the way! Don't play with it. I'm going to whisk you away to a deserted island. There is no tobacco there. You just washed up on shore. Oh my Gawd!! Whatever shall I do? Uh... how bout making a living?, taking care of your family?, building a shelter?, catching some food?...... I think you get the point. I don't believe in "half measures" (that's for you SM) Take the bull by the horns and be somebody.

Welcome aboard, Sooner. Sounds like you have a leg up on most of us, having experienced year-long quits before.

Many of us got here because of the concerns of family members; though to my knowledge, no one has ever had a successful quit if they were quitting for a wife or kids. Most of the winners here came to the realization that they had to quit for themselves and only themselves. That works for most, but it didn't for me. Cancer never scared me, and I never suffered any other serious consequences from dipping, so I couldn't be frightened into a quit. When the time came, I quit out of gratitude to God.

Whatever your reason, it's OK to be anxious. This time you have an army on your side with every quitting weapon known to man at your disposal. And TR is one of those "Special Forces" types that will cross a mine field under heavy fire to retrieve a live grenade - if it will help you quit.

Saw a guy buying a can today at the gas station. Got a "that's not fair" feeling, started craving it. Got to learn to feel sorry for those who are addicted instead of almost wishing to go back to it.

Saw a guy buying a can today at the gas station. Got a "that's not fair" feeling, started craving it. Got to learn to feel sorry for those who are addicted instead of almost wishing to go back to it.

I don't claim to be over those type of feelings yet but can tell you at 250 days they are much less then they were even 50 days ago. It doesn't really bother me to see a person buy a can or carry a can. I was at a Christmas party last week and had a friend take a dip in front of me. I'm pleased to say that I wasn't even tempted to ask him for one, nor did it really bother me that he had it out.

I'm still not at the stage that I don't think about it, and at times I still have some craves but they have become much less intense over the last couple of months. This quit has gotten easier every week and I feel the progress. Just know the feelings you feel will fade with time and the day will come when it become easy to fight off the craves and the "that's not fair" feelings.

I don't claim to be over those type of feelings yet but can tell you at 250 days they are much less then they were even 50 days ago. It doesn't really bother me to see a person buy a can or carry a can. I was at a Christmas party last week and had a friend take a dip in front of me. I'm pleased to say that I wasn't even tempted to ask him for one, nor did it really bother me that he had it out.

I'm still not at the stage that I don't think about it, and at times I still have some craves but they have become much less intense over the last couple of months. This quit has gotten easier every week and I feel the progress. Just know the feelings you feel will fade with time and the day will come when it become easy to fight off the craves and the "that's not fair" feelings.

I know that feeling, but it's been a long time since I've felt it. For awhile it was replaced w/ a contrary feeling that it was unfair anybody was willing to sell me that stuff in the first place. Now I don't have any feelings toward it. Well except of course that I'm just one bad mistake and $5.00 (ok, it's been awhile, adjust for inflation if necessary) away from falling into the trap all over again. But that's not gonna happen.

One day at a time...

Edited by Copewquitn

I know that feeling, but it's been a long time since I've felt it. For awhile it was replaced w/ a contrary feeling that it was unfair anybody was willing to sell me that stuff in the first place. Now I don't have any feelings toward it. Well except of course that I'm just one bad mistake and $5.00 (ok, it's been awhile, adjust for inflation if necessary) away from falling into the trap all over again. But that's not gonna happen.

One day at a time...

I sometimes have to go to one of those Texas "tobacco barns" to buy the fake Smokey Mountain stuff that I have been using for two months now. It is ironic that this place sells both a product (tobacco) that will kill you, as well as a product to use to prevent yourself from using the product that will kill you. People were lined up buying cartons of cigarettes at this place, and lined on the wall were cans of snuff of every brand one can think of. But looking at the people in there, and the people smoking in the parking lot, they looked more down than I was. I just thought how happy I was to not be one of them today. I am on day 64 of my quit, and at a can a day, that is more than 64 ounces of that crap that has not gone into my mouth. That is four pounds of poison that I have passed up. It still sucks, but doing the math, using this site, and reading up, is starting to put it in perspective.

Fantastic thread, especially because of the wide range of quit dates. Days 250 - 260 were about the time where it all began to go away for me. No more craves or strong feelings. I could go through a whole day not even thinking about it, except to pass on a little hope to the next guy. At day 14 I was miserable. At day 60 it felt like I would never be free of the longing. At day 100 it sucked, but less. At day 150, I remember TR telling me that it would be another 100 days before it truly got better. Now it's rapidly becoming no more than a memory. I don't want it, don't miss it, don't hate it. The problem has been removed. But I still come back here because I know I'll never be 100% safe. If I stop giving away the experience, strength and hope, I'll lose what's been given to me.

One day at a time...

I sometimes have to go to one of those Texas "tobacco barns" to buy the fake Smokey Mountain stuff that I have been using for two months now. It is ironic that this place sells both a product (tobacco) that will kill you, as well as a product to use to prevent yourself from using the product that will kill you. People were lined up buying cartons of cigarettes at this place, and lined on the wall were cans of snuff of every brand one can think of. But looking at the people in there, and the people smoking in the parking lot, they looked more down than I was. I just thought how happy I was to not be one of them today. I am on day 64 of my quit, and at a can a day, that is more than 64 ounces of that crap that has not gone into my mouth. That is four pounds of poison that I have passed up. It still sucks, but doing the math, using this site, and reading up, is starting to put it in perspective.

So it seems like it really takes a year to start feeling "normal", whatever that means. I first thought it would be about 30 days to be alright, now I'm seeing that day 2 seemed easy compared to my personal 28-38 that could have killed me.

I see so many dates and figures, I can't in my mind see any tangible dates to look forward to. I know it gets a little better each day in a sense. The more I read, it looks like it takes a full year before you can live a normal life.

Edited by *IronWill*

So it seems like it really takes a year to start feeling "normal", whatever that means. I first thought it would be about 30 days to be alright, now I'm seeing that day 2 seemed easy compared to my personal 28-38 that could have killed me.

I see so many dates and figures, I can't in my mind see any tangible dates to look forward to. I know it gets a little better each day in a sense. The more I read, it looks like it takes a full year before you can live a normal life.

I can't help but nitpick you on this one... it only takes one day to live a normal life. That'd be the day you hit bottom, say "I quit", and start living the rest of your life nic free.

But I do understand what you're saying. It does take time. Here's what I recall in brief outline form...

Day 100 - I did it!

Day 150 - WTF was/is it? I still feel like crap sometimes.

Day 365 (1yr) - Holy cow, I've made a complet cycle around the sun. Things must be normal now.

Day 400ish - How come I still long for it sometimes?

Day 730 (2 yr) - yeah that's it... true separation

All the days since then... dip is so far in the rear view mirrot it doesn't concern me. Sure, I'm just one stupid mistake away from falling into the trap, but I feel no temptation to do so.

I can't help but nitpick you on this one... it only takes one day to live a normal life. That'd be the day you hit bottom, say "I quit", and start living the rest of your life nic free.

But I do understand what you're saying. It does take time. Here's what I recall in brief outline form...

Day 100 - I did it!

Day 150 - WTF was/is it? I still feel like crap sometimes.

Day 365 (1yr) - Holy cow, I've made a complet cycle around the sun. Things must be normal now.

Day 400ish - How come I still long for it sometimes?

Day 730 (2 yr) - yeah that's it... true separation

All the days since then... dip is so far in the rear view mirrot it doesn't concern me. Sure, I'm just one stupid mistake away from falling into the trap, but I feel no temptation to do so.

Well I had my first real crave last night in a while. It wasn't a bad one, it didn't last more than a minute, and I was not considering caving. But it was there. I can live with a crave every few months, I lived through day 1, 14, 30, etc. But it is a daily battle, like Copewquitn said. My quit group has 4 people that post regularly. We lost one recently. Just up an vanished, and he was a daily poster.

Reading stories of folks with years in their quit, they try the "just one" and fall back into it. One day at a time has to be in the front of my mind, but keeping "never again" in the back of my mind, just in case I start thinkin about that "just one".

Thanks guys, feel free to be honest with me when I am whining. I feel sorry for girls who have to go through mental stuff like this once a month.

Well anyway, at least I'm not bleeding anywhere

Thanks guys, feel free to be honest with me when I am whining. I feel sorry for girls who have to go through mental stuff like this once a month.

Well anyway, at least I'm not bleeding anywhere

And even better than that, you are quit

Welcome aboard, Sooner. Sounds like you have a leg up on most of us, having experienced year-long quits before.

Many of us got here because of the concerns of family members; though to my knowledge, no one has ever had a successful quit if they were quitting for a wife or kids. Most of the winners here came to the realization that they had to quit for themselves and only themselves. That works for most, but it didn't for me. Cancer never scared me, and I never suffered any other serious consequences from dipping, so I couldn't be frightened into a quit. When the time came, I quit out of gratitude to God.

Whatever your reason, it's OK to be anxious. This time you have an army on your side with every quitting weapon known to man at your disposal. And TR is one of those "Special Forces" types that will cross a mine field under heavy fire to retrieve a live grenade - if it will help you quit.

Why wait until 12/31/2009? If you have already decided to quit, give yourself an early Christmas present and quit today, that way by New Years Eve you will already have almost two weeks of quit under your belt. No time like the present.

Why wait until 12/31/2009? If you have already decided to quit, give yourself an early Christmas present and quit today, that way by New Years Eve you will already have almost two weeks of quit under your belt. No time like the present.

I agree. There's nothing magical about New Year's Eve. If you are ready, then you are ready NOW. Toss that can and begin your journey to FREEDOM today. I'll guarantee you that in another month, you will not regret that you didn't put it off another 2 weeks.

Hey guys, sorry, been busy....Day 17 for and still going strong.

Went hunting last weekend, people were dipping all around me, but no problem...they were jealous that I had quit and they were still putting chit in their mouths.

Cheers

RR

Just a note-

There's been a lot of talk about 1 month, 2 months, 6 months, one year, 7 years and so on. I'm guilty of it myself. So let's get this straight; this is a one day at a time program. It really is that simple. I can't handle the prospect of a whole lifetime of quitting. It's just too big. I'm not one of those people who will ever say "never again." The moment I do, I firmly believe I am screwed. All I know is that today I have no plans, and thank God, no desire for a dip. Tomorrow will be there waiting for me with a new challenge. Hell, I can hardly follow a plan for twenty-four hours, let alone a week or a lifetime.

When we talk about how it is at day ___, we're just trying to give you an idea of how it felt for us.

I had to experience every single day between day one and day 394. Some of them sucked and some didn't. But I never quit for more than a day. If I had, I honestly think I would not have made it this far.

Lastly, I don't know if this even makes sense to any of you. It doesn't matter. Getting this thought out of my head and onto this site helps me stay quit for the five minutes it takes me to type it. That's good enough for me. If I don't dip and I don't kill anyone, it's a good day.

Just a note-

There's been a lot of talk about 1 month, 2 months, 6 months, one year, 7 years and so on. I'm guilty of it myself. So let's get this straight; this is a one day at a time program. It really is that simple. I can't handle the prospect of a whole lifetime of quitting. It's just too big. I'm not one of those people who will ever say "never again." The moment I do, I firmly believe I am screwed. All I know is that today I have no plans, and thank God, no desire for a dip. Tomorrow will be there waiting for me with a new challenge. Hell, I can hardly follow a plan for twenty-four hours, let alone a week or a lifetime.

When we talk about how it is at day ___, we're just trying to give you an idea of how it felt for us.

I had to experience every single day between day one and day 394. Some of them sucked and some didn't. But I never quit for more than a day. If I had, I honestly think I would not have made it this far.

Lastly, I don't know if this even makes sense to any of you. It doesn't matter. Getting this thought out of my head and onto this site helps me stay quit for the five minutes it takes me to type it. That's good enough for me. If I don't dip and I don't kill anyone, it's a good day.

Have to agree, seeing as I used this site over 8 years ago to quit dipping, then after 2 years of no dipping I started again...I won't be returning to dipping this time around. Done for good.

Just goes to show you, anyone can cave. Just have to be strong.

Edited by rollingrock

Done for good.

Don't worry about "forever" We quit for "today" You are strong!

Hey guys, sorry, been busy....Day 17 for and still going strong.

Went hunting last weekend, people were dipping all around me, but no problem...they were jealous that I had quit and they were still putting chit in their mouths.

Cheers

RR

RR, man very proud of you in that scenario. Hope I can do the same down the road with such conviction. Must've felt good to see how they want to quit and admire you for doing such a great job. Use that motivation to stomp out your next big crave. Thx for sharing.

KbozNH

Done for good.

Don't worry about "forever" We quit for "today" You are strong!

What??? Cave? That word is not in my vocabulary. B)