Quit Smokeless Community
Flavius Victor

The Cafe - 2009

Let us know how you are doing everyday, we know how hard it is especially in the first few days. Congrats on having a new baby, that's one good reason to stay quit. Don't let cancer leave your baby without a father. Keep it in cruise control and stay vented on here. Send private messages in your spare time, especially people who have been here a while. It helps us to help support you!

Today is day 2 for me and its rough. My wife and I are having trouble making a baby so we have turned to invitro. It's costing us min. of $20K with the help of family. The reason is due to my infertility. I hate that I have to put my wife through this. Unfortunately, even though its my issue she has to be the one taking the shots, medication, etc. Anyway, we met with doctor recently and said I needed to stop dipping immidiately to help with sperm mobility, but this is something I have been doing for 15 yrs. I'm in a habit...after eating, driving in car, watching sporting events, drinking, etc. My life revolves around my dipping schedule. I have not had a dip in two days and here I am on Christmas eve by myself because I got an attitude with my wife who I have put through so much already. I WANT TO DO THIS AND KNOW I CAN BUT THE HOLIDAYS AND FOOTBALL BOWL GAMES THIS WEEK ARE MAKING IT MUCH MORE DIFFICULT

Thanks. Still staying strong. Going on day 4. Each time I want a dip and read what you said below. Again, thank you

" remember by quitting, ...you're not just saving your life

but in return you may also be blessed in gaining a new one ...a child"

Today is day 2 for me and its rough. My wife and I are having trouble making a baby so we have turned to invitro. It's costing us min. of $20K with the help of family. The reason is due to my infertility. I hate that I have to put my wife through this. Unfortunately, even though its my issue she has to be the one taking the shots, medication, etc. Anyway, we met with doctor recently and said I needed to stop dipping immidiately to help with sperm mobility, but this is something I have been doing for 15 yrs. I'm in a habit...after eating, driving in car, watching sporting events, drinking, etc. My life revolves around my dipping schedule. I have not had a dip in two days and here I am on Christmas eve by myself because I got an attitude with my wife who I have put through so much already. I WANT TO DO THIS AND KNOW I CAN BUT THE HOLIDAYS AND FOOTBALL BOWL GAMES THIS WEEK ARE MAKING IT MUCH MORE DIFFICULT

S2h,

I'm sorry to hear what you & your wife are experiencing with fertility. With it being Day 2 ... your body as well as yourself can't process why you have stopped this constant ritual you've known day in and day out by putting a wad in your lip. You've used it while doing normal things as well as coping. Like now, with stress! If you need to vent, yell ... scream if you want, you have my permission to do so here. Maybe you could let us know how and why you started to begin with? You can visit the Quit Group section .. yours will be Apr. 2010, I believe. Read HOF speeches, articles and posts throughout the site. Drink lots of water and chew gum or candy. Those in your quit group are going through the same hell as you are right now! I've been there too .....

Please hang in there over the holidays ... I'd like to come back to see you still quit.

S2h, remember by quitting, ...you're not just saving your life

but in return you may also be blessed in gaining a new one ... a child.

-mls

Thanks. Still staying strong. Going on day 4. Each time I want a dip and read what you said below. Again, thank you

" remember by quitting, ...you're not just saving your life

but in return you may also be blessed in gaining a new one ...a child"

S2h,

I'm sorry to hear what you & your wife are experiencing with fertility. With it being Day 2 ... your body as well as yourself can't process why you have stopped this constant ritual you've known day in and day out by putting a wad in your lip. You've used it while doing normal things as well as coping. Like now, with stress! If you need to vent, yell ... scream if you want, you have my permission to do so here. Maybe you could let us know how and why you started to begin with? You can visit the Quit Group section .. yours will be Apr. 2010, I believe. Read HOF speeches, articles and posts throughout the site. Drink lots of water and chew gum or candy. Those in your quit group are going through the same hell as you are right now! I've been there too .....

Please hang in there over the holidays ... I'd like to come back to see you still quit.

S2h, remember by quitting, ...you're not just saving your life

but in return you may also be blessed in gaining a new one ... a child.

-mls

Maybe you can print that out and put it on your fridge or another spot you can easily access when you feel like having a dip?

And let your wife know as hard as it is, if she could be patient with you during this time. When you get angry or discouraged instead of focusing that negative energy towards her ... have her remind you of this site and why we are here ... I don't mind venting with you and I'm sure others don't mind either. I hope to see you back soon 'n still quit!

Well, here we go again. When I first quit, we put my grandmother in the hospital a few days later and they told us that she wouldn't make it. Then came the CAVE. Came here, confessed my sins, changed my quit date and have not looked back since. Now, just put my mother in the hospital on the 26th. I have figured out that I just need to stay out of hospitals. Saturday was my biggest crave since I got passed the initial few days. If had a can with me, I would have had a fight on my hands. Good thing that I listened to everyone (the second time) about getting rid of all of my snuff, empty cans, everything. Since I got past the big crave on Saturday, I haven't had a significant crave since. I will just keep kicking it in the ass to get past ever wanting to use it again. Thanks for all of the support (reading material). Thanks for letting me vent.

On a side note....can anyone tell me why my "days quit #" isn't showing up anymore? Haven't changed anything on my computer.

Edited by lt622fd

Well, here we go again. When I first quit, we put my grandmother in the hospital a few days later and they told us that she wouldn't make it. Then came the CAVE. Came here, confessed my sins, changed my quit date and have not looked back since. Now, just put my mother in the hospital on the 26th. I have figured out that I just need to stay out of hospitals. Saturday was my biggest crave since I got passed the initial few days. If had a can with me, I would have had a fight on my hands. Good thing that I listened to everyone (the second time) about getting rid of all of my snuff, empty cans, everything. Since I got past the big crave on Saturday, I haven't had a significant crave since. I will just keep kicking it in the ass to get past ever wanting to use it again. Thanks for all of the support (reading material). Thanks for letting me vent.

On a side note....can anyone tell me why my "days quit #" isn't showing up anymore? Haven't changed anything on my computer.

Congrats on surviving the latest crave. I know it isn't easy. Coming here to post certainly helps. Exposing the crave to words absolutely makes it weaker. Have you gotten any contact numbers yet? They can make a huge difference.

As far as the day counter, it seems to have left when the holiday decorations showed up. I am guessing that it will be back soon.

Imagine

- Imagine being twelve and your first dip. Dad lets you do it around the garage with him as you tinker with his tools pretending to help. Pretty cool, huh?

- Imagine being fifteen and your friends start hanging out at your house 'cause it's okay to dip around your parents. Heck, most of their parents haven't a clue about the dipping ritual that happens.

- Imagine being nineteen and working with your father at his business. Both still dipping and enjoying the conversations you spend because you feel a connection, ...... even if it has to do with dip.

- Imagine finding your first sore, ..... gums raw but you still keep using. Dad says its happened to him but it'll go away. So you pack it to the other side of your mouth. It feels somewhat less painful that way.

- Imagine being twenty-one and the birth of your first and only son. You're so nervous but you need some dip to take that edge off. You ask the nurses for a cup to spit into. And while holding your son, you remind yourself to get another can after you leave the hospital since you're out.

- Imagine being twenty-seven and your now six yr old wants to go hunting with you, like he has many times before but you tell him he can't go. He's unable to since there's going to be alcohol and a little party later at a friends house. Your son cries not understanding why Daddy won't take him hunting. You promise to take him another time. Maybe next weekend. Your wife reassures him as you scoot out the door without him noticing you've left.

- Imagine hunting most of the day while drinking beer. Later that evening, you're at a friends house you've known since grade school. You guys start playing a little poker and get somewhat carried away with the shots of liquor, ... now being passed around.

- Imagine feeling a bit dizzy and resting on the couch since the room won't stop spinning. Some time later, others pass by, your friends and laugh at you 'cause your drunker than shit. They believed you've passed out since they can hear you snoring.

- Imagine being so intoxicated to the point that you've swallowed your snuff. And what they believe is snoring is actually you gasping for air since your wad of dip is lodged in the back of your throat. You're unable to move, .. unable to signal for help. At that moment ... you die .. slowly .. not from cancer .. but from choking on your own wad of dip.

- Imagine in the morning your friends leaving for town; not wanting to wake you. One of them returns by mid-afternoon. Your wife is somewhat concern since you haven't called. He finds you in the same spot and to his shock, ............. you're unresponsive.

- Imagine leaving behind your wife and son, your mother, father and sister, leaving behind your friends. One being me, who remembers playing truth or dare and having to kiss you. We were fourteen then. ---- (incidentally that's around the same time I started dipping secretly)

- - Now I want you to sit back and imagine if cancer is truly the only culprit that can 'cause your death.

This is a true story.

Jay had a kind heart but was stupid to think he wasn't addicted. He believed he was invincible to cancer; ... to death. Yet sadly he died by asphyxiation.

-mls

Rest in peace, Jay Archibald!

I hope you're death wasn't in vain and by telling your story will help someone take that first step to quit.

(I posted this last year. I post it again as a reminder.)

It's been another year. The best thing about this year is that I haven't had one molecule of Copenhagen or any other poison in my mouth all year. Many thanks to all of you. I never once doubted that with God's direction and your help, I would be released from that damn prison. Honestly, I never doubted it, unlike every other quit I ever attempted. I wish I could express why the certainty was so strong, but I can't.

Of course, it still sucked at times. Oh my, but it sucked! I turned green, kinda like this - AlienGreenFace-1.jpg

my first week. I could not string a coherent sentence together for a solid 15 days. I mean, I could WRITE one, but I was afraid I had permanently damaged my speech and concentration center of my brain. Things became exaggerated in my mind - I went a little crazy for a while. I had a big blowup with one of the oldtimers here. Slowly it got better. Now I'd say I qualify as "normal" or better than I was when I was dipping.

I just wanted to take the opportunity to express my gratitude and fondness for this site and the men and women who make it work. You helped me accomplish something I couldn't have done with all the paid experts in the world.

Congrats Brian! Seriously, you are the man. Glad you are doing great with everything, and have this addiction in your rearview.

You did so much for me when i was going through one of my hardest times in my last quit, and for that I am grateful. You DO know how to express your fondness for the site and for everyone here. you do it every day. You give back and we are all grateful for what you do.

Keep it up!

Phil

Congrats on surviving the latest crave. I know it isn't easy. Coming here to post certainly helps. Exposing the crave to words absolutely makes it weaker. Have you gotten any contact numbers yet? They can make a huge difference.

As far as the day counter, it seems to have left when the holiday decorations showed up. I am guessing that it will be back soon.

No, I haven't gotten any numbers yet. May sound stupid, just not sure how to ask. I know everyone else is dealing with their own quit, just don't want to impose on anyone else.

No, I haven't gotten any numbers yet. May sound stupid, just not sure how to ask. I know everyone else is dealing with their own quit, just don't want to impose on anyone else.

Go to the main site at quitdipping.org and there is a day tracker there on the right hand side.

That's one of the most disgusting things i've ever heard in my life. Suffocating on your own dip. And embarrassing. Damn.

Imagine

- Imagine being twelve and your first dip. Dad lets you do it around the garage with him as you tinker with his tools pretending to help. Pretty cool, huh?

- Imagine being fifteen and your friends start hanging out at your house 'cause it's okay to dip around your parents. Heck, most of their parents haven't a clue about the dipping ritual that happens.

- Imagine being nineteen and working with your father at his business. Both still dipping and enjoying the conversations you spend because you feel a connection, ...... even if it has to do with dip.

- Imagine finding your first sore, ..... gums raw but you still keep using. Dad says its happened to him but it'll go away. So you pack it to the other side of your mouth. It feels somewhat less painful that way.

- Imagine being twenty-one and the birth of your first and only son. You're so nervous but you need some dip to take that edge off. You ask the nurses for a cup to spit into. And while holding your son, you remind yourself to get another can after you leave the hospital since you're out.

- Imagine being twenty-seven and your now six yr old wants to go hunting with you, like he has many times before but you tell him he can't go. He's unable to since there's going to be alcohol and a little party later at a friends house. Your son cries not understanding why Daddy won't take him hunting. You promise to take him another time. Maybe next weekend. Your wife reassures him as you scoot out the door without him noticing you've left.

- Imagine hunting most of the day while drinking beer. Later that evening, you're at a friends house you've known since grade school. You guys start playing a little poker and get somewhat carried away with the shots of liquor, ... now being passed around.

- Imagine feeling a bit dizzy and resting on the couch since the room won't stop spinning. Some time later, others pass by, your friends and laugh at you 'cause your drunker than shit. They believed you've passed out since they can hear you snoring.

- Imagine being so intoxicated to the point that you've swallowed your snuff. And what they believe is snoring is actually you gasping for air since your wad of dip is lodged in the back of your throat. You're unable to move, .. unable to signal for help. At that moment ... you die .. slowly .. not from cancer .. but from choking on your own wad of dip.

- Imagine in the morning your friends leaving for town; not wanting to wake you. One of them returns by mid-afternoon. Your wife is somewhat concern since you haven't called. He finds you in the same spot and to his shock, ............. you're unresponsive.

- Imagine leaving behind your wife and son, your mother, father and sister, leaving behind your friends. One being me, who remembers playing truth or dare and having to kiss you. We were fourteen then. ---- (incidentally that's around the same time I started dipping secretly)

- - Now I want you to sit back and imagine if cancer is truly the only culprit that can 'cause your death.

This is a true story.

Jay had a kind heart but was stupid to think he wasn't addicted. He believed he was invincible to cancer; ... to death. Yet sadly he died by asphyxiation.

-mls

Rest in peace, Jay Archibald!

I hope you're death wasn't in vain and by telling your story will help someone take that first step to quit.

(I posted this last year. I post it again as a reminder.)

Hey all...

This is my first new years without dip in a while, and my first one on this site. I would assume there is going to be an onslaught of folks arriving tomorrow for resolution time. At the same time, we need to keep on our toes tonight as there is going to be a lot of celebrating. I am declaring tonight a "No cave" celebration for all of us.

There is no "just one" or a celebratory dip. Caving is nothing to celebrate. Keeping nic out of your mouth is something we ALL celebrate!

Hey all...

This is my first new years without dip in a while, and my first one on this site. I would assume there is going to be an onslaught of folks arriving tomorrow for resolution time. At the same time, we need to keep on our toes tonight as there is going to be a lot of celebrating. I am declaring tonight a "No cave" celebration for all of us.

There is no "just one" or a celebratory dip. Caving is nothing to celebrate. Keeping nic out of your mouth is something we ALL celebrate!

Well put Ohio! Go Bucks tomorrow!

So I was running on the tredmill this morning, listening to 80's metal that is older than I am as I usually do, and i realized that THIS song really speaks to what a quit is...

We are all walking a dark road, and we ALWAYS feel like there is somebody watching us... We all, "Have a phobia that someone's always near..."

Fear Of The Dark- Iron Maiden

[soft and Beautiful Intro]

I am a man who walks alone

And when I'm walking the dark road

At night or strolling through the park.

When the light begins to change

I sometimes feel a little strange,

A little anxious when it's dark.

Fear of the dark, fear of the dark.

I have a constant fear that something's always near.

Fear of the dark, fear of the dark.

I have a phobia that someone's always there.

[The R-O-C-K Kicks In!]

Have you run your fingers down the wall

Have you felt your neck skin crawl

When you're searching for the light?

Sometimes when you're scared to take a look

At the corner of the room

You've sensed that something's watching you!

Fear of the dark, fear of the dark

Have you ever been alone at night

Thought you heard footsteps behind

And turned around and no one's there?

And as you quicken up your pace

You find it hard to look again

Because you're sure there's someone's there!

[insert Freakin' Shweet Solo Here]

Fear of the dark! Fear of the dark!

Fear of the dark! Fear of the dark--

Fear of the dark! Fear of the dark!

Fear of the dark! Fear of the dark--

Watching horror films the night before

Debating witches and folklore

The unknown troubles on your mind.

Maybe your mind is playing tricks

You sense, and suddenly eyes fix

On dancing shadows from behind!

[slows Down For Beautiful Outro]

When I'm walking the dark road

I am a man who walk's alone.

Hey all...

Hear, hear. Wish I'd said it...

Hey all...

Words of wisdom. Happy New Year, fellow quitters.

Hey all...

Words of wisdom. Happy New Year, fellow quitters.

I resolve to make 2010 my fourth tobacco-free year of my adult life, thanks to you guys and gals on QSSN. Have a safe and happy new year!

Thanks QSSN for helping me get to 214 days quit, my first New Years Eve in 28 years I won't be dipping, and the start of the first year of my life since I was 18 that won't begin with a dip.

There have been trials and tribulations to get here, but because of this site and all the help, I have been able to face my addiction and be dip free since June 1'st. I had a long talk with both my teenagers the last two weeks about my dipping and how I hid it from them and their mom. It's been almost 3 decades since I started this terrible habbit, but I can say I am on the path to completely ending it.

If you are out there thinking about quitting - do it now. Every day you wait is another day you haven't faced your addiction.

I quit for today - and tomorrow morning since I plan on sleeping in!

BTL/Nick

I am done with dip. Almost 24 hours and this is tougher than I thought it would be, but this site is invaluable. I have dipped for 20 years and am 35, married with 2 beautiful kids. Any newbies want to grind this one out with me?

A new year is among us. The start of each new year always has an individual looking at themselves in the mirror asking the question, "What can I change? What do I want to accomplish this New Year?" Change is always something that seems to occur around the new year. We are always looking to change for the better, but sometimes it seems like that idea backfires. Sometimes we plan for a meaningful change, yet the steps it takes to get there sometimes seem to be a negative change. The same goes for accomplishing our goals or "resolutions". We know what we want to do, we know what we have to do to accomplish these goals, and yet we seem to hit road blocks that give us the impression we are headed down the wrong road.

The New Year is always a wonderful time here at QS. We see an amazing rise in active membership. Some old quitters coming back to say hi and check in, as they reaffirm a previous resolution to stay dip free, or make a resolution for this to be the first year from start to finish they will be dip free, or possibly they are coming back to rejoin the ranks of the quitting team here at QS. We also see the sum of many new quitters coming here for the first time, whether it is for their first ever quit, or simply for the assisted help from an online support group to help them get through what they have tried on their own before.

In the coming days and weeks, we will see an increased activity here at QS. We will be reunited with old friends, we will make new friends, we will support more quitters - letting each other know that we have or are going through very similar struggles and battles. We will, once again, build bonds between each other, support each other, and go through this journey TOGETHER. The members of the site are dedicated to success, dedicated to the battle, dedicated to remaining dip free for the moment. We support each other, advice each other and motivate each other, but quitting comes down to the individual and their own desire to ACCOMPLISH the goals and resolutions they set before themselves.

Sacrafices and roadblocks are common experiences when it comes to accomplishing goals. How one deals with these adversities that we experience play a vital role in their success in reaching their goals. We start the new year excited to make changes, excited to reach our goals and accomplish our resolutions. The excitement sometimes dims or dwindles away, and we lose our direction, we become tempted to follow our desire to "take a break" and give up on all the hard work we have done. The wonderful thing about this community is that there is always someone who is willing to chat with another member, motivate, advise, support or just plain BE THERE for someone else. All you need is the desire and will to accomplish the goals you have made for yourself.

All walks of life congregate here. All types of people who have that desire to quit, that dream of breaking free from the addiction, to CHANGE. Men and women. Old and young. Fast food workers to CEO's of companies. Musicians and athletes. The list goes on and on, and chances are, you will find someone here that wears the SAME exact shoes as you. We are all headed in the same direction, and we all walk together. It doesn't matter if we have cowboy boots on, doesn't matter if we have slippers on, it doesn't matter if we have no shoes on at all. It doesn't matter if we run or crawl. If we continually move forward, towards our goal, we will reach it. Some experience things quicker, others slower, but as long as we move forward, we make progress. The more progress we make, the closer we come to accomplishing our goals.

Welcome to the Quit Smokeless community. If you are seeking change, you can find it here. If you are seeking freedom, you can find it here. We can not change the past, but we can make changes in the present, changes today, to get us to where we want to be. We can learn from the past to make our future better. 2010 looks much better than 2009, as we see our community grow larger and we all continue to accomplish the goals we have set for ourselves.

Happy New year everyone. Today's accomplishments were yesterday's dreams and are the stepping stones for tomorrow's successes!

-Penguin

I am done with dip. Almost 24 hours and this is tougher than I thought it would be, but this site is invaluable. I have dipped for 20 years and am 35, married with 2 beautiful kids. Any newbies want to grind this one out with me?

I turn 34 this month, have chewed for 20 years. Quit so many other times only to fail.....I am going to make it stick this time. this is day 3 and I seem to be doing well, just have to keep the mindset of 1 day, 1 hour, 1 minute at a time. I have just accepted that I will be very irritable for a while, my wife says she can handle it, just so long as I don't put hat dogsh#t back into my mouth!

Rome was not built in a day....

Keep it up Gallagher....dip will put you in your grave alot sooner than you want to be