Quit Smokeless Community
Sign in to follow this  
CopeWithoutCope

Movie Reviews

I'll kick things off with "Watchmen."

I rented it from Blockbuster the other day and watched it in two sittings. I'd heard some good things about it so I wanted to see if it would live up to the hype.

It did, but you better be the type of guy who likes ultraviolence, a dark setting and mood, and heroes who are nearly as bad as the dirtbags they must fight.

The movie Watchmen is based on the comic that I never read, so don't ask me questions about that. It takes place mostly during the Nixon era and there's this band of un-appeciated superheroes, some of whom are calling it quits, while others in the band turn to a life of vigilantiism, which gets the politicians and idealistic members of society in an uproar. The law starts cracking down on these anti-heroes just as someone is one by one murdering them.

I think you'll dig the characters and the fight scenes ... and in particular, a guy called Rorschach, named after the inkblot test psychiatrists use. Imprisoned by the ungrateful society, Rorschach gets attacked by one of the inmates he years ago captured and sent to prison. He takes down his attacker and then tosses the contents of a deep frier on the guy's face. As the prison guards subdue Rorshach he screams at the other prisoners, "A lot of you think I'm trapped in here with you. You got it wrong. You're trapped in here with me!"

And yes, there's also a flexible, high-kicking babe-i-licious female in a latex leather suit.

Enjoy, but the fucking movie is long so don't say I didn't warn you.

CWC

Edited by CopeWithoutCope

General Information

"Layer Cake", starring Daniel Craig, Colm Meaney, Kenneth Cranham, George Harris, Jamie Foreman, Sienna Miller (absolute smokeshow) and Michael Gambon.

This is a Brittish gangster movie based on the book, "Layer Cake" by J.J. Connolly. It is not too too long (running 105 minutes) and is directed by Matthew Vaughn.

XXXX (played by Daniel Craig)(They never give you his name during the film) is a successful "Businessman who happens to deal in cocaine." He is in the underground of the London crime underworld because he does not flaunt his money, party hard, and act irresponsibly like other gangsters. He is planning to retire soon and "quit while you're ahead," when his boss Jimmy Price (Kenneth Cranham) asks him to track down a business partner's daughter.This seemingly simple task takes XXXX on a chase that brings him all over London, seeing all of the crime world, as well as brings him back to when his partners first started in the crime game, which reveals more and more disturbing information about his business.

My Review

This movie is my favorite movie of all time. I just love it because I personally love the culture of Britain. It's cool, funny, exciting, and it really makes you think. The only problem is that unless you know what is going on, it's going to be tough to follow. There are TONS of plot twits that make this movie absolutely crazy and fun to watch, but you need to understand what is going on in order to really enjoy this movie to the fullest.

Basically, the first time I watched this film, I though it was really cool and entertaining. The second time I watched this, I started to pay attention to what was going on more and more, and by the 3rd time I watched it, I knew what was happening and was blown away. Absolute genius in the way the main plot is meshed with underplots and oversights that all come together at the end for an ending that will shock you.

This film leaves nothing to be desired. Totally sick. I personally give this two thumbs up.

General Information

"Layer Cake", starring Daniel Craig, Colm Meaney, Kenneth Cranham, George Harris, Jamie Foreman, Sienna Miller (absolute smokeshow) and Michael Gambon.

This is a Brittish gangster movie based on the book, "Layer Cake" by J.J. Connolly. It is not too too long (running 105 minutes) and is directed by Matthew Vaughn.

XXXX (played by Daniel Craig)(They never give you his name during the film) is a successful "Businessman who happens to deal in cocaine." He is in the underground of the London crime underworld because he does not flaunt his money, party hard, and act irresponsibly like other gangsters. He is planning to retire soon and "quit while you're ahead," when his boss Jimmy Price (Kenneth Cranham) asks him to track down a business partner's daughter.This seemingly simple task takes XXXX on a chase that brings him all over London, seeing all of the crime world, as well as brings him back to when his partners first started in the crime game, which reveals more and more disturbing information about his business.

My Review

This movie is my favorite movie of all time. I just love it because I personally love the culture of Britain. It's cool, funny, exciting, and it really makes you think. The only problem is that unless you know what is going on, it's going to be tough to follow. There are TONS of plot twits that make this movie absolutely crazy and fun to watch, but you need to understand what is going on in order to really enjoy this movie to the fullest.

Basically, the first time I watched this film, I though it was really cool and entertaining. The second time I watched this, I started to pay attention to what was going on more and more, and by the 3rd time I watched it, I knew what was happening and was blown away. Absolute genius in the way the main plot is meshed with underplots and oversights that all come together at the end for an ending that will shock you.

This film leaves nothing to be desired. Totally sick. I personally give this two thumbs up.

I seem to remember one guy smashing another guy's head in with a turnstyle rail or something like that. The violence went from 0 to 60 in an instant. Pretty good film, but my memory is fuzzy as I get this one mixed up with a similar film called "Gangster No. 1" starring Malcolm MacDowell.

General Information

My Review

I seem to remember one guy smashing another guy's head in with a turnstyle rail or something like that. The violence went from 0 to 60 in an instant. Pretty good film, but my memory is fuzzy as I get this one mixed up with a similar film called "Gangster No. 1" starring Malcolm MacDowell.

i dont think that is in the film, but one guy does get the crap kicked out of him in a small diner and gets hot tea poured on him...

General Information

My Review

i dont think that is in the film, but one guy does get the crap kicked out of him in a small diner and gets hot tea poured on him...

You're right, and I remember the scene with the tea. I must be mixing two scenes from different movies into one memory. Old age.

"Inglorious Basterds"

Brad Pitt, Mike Meyers, and some others.

If you like Quentin Tarantino movies then you wont be disappointed. It takes place in Nazi occupied France during WWII. Starts off with you scratching your head going, "huh?" But soon after things get rolling. Not as violent as I thought it was going to be but it does have its moments. A few plot twists that keep you anticipating the next scene/chapter. It was a little long just over 2 hours I think and there is subtitles throughout a good portion of the movie. But, if you are a fan of his previous works you wont be dissappointed. Basically I give it a 9 out of 10.

"Inglorious Basterds"

If you like Quentin Tarantino movies then you wont be disappointed. It takes place in Nazi occupied France during WWII. Starts off with you scratching your head going, "huh?" But soon after things get rolling. Not as violent as I thought it was going to be but it does have its moments. A few plot twists that keep you anticipating the next scene/chapter. It was a little long just over 2 hours I think and there is subtitles throughout a good portion of the movie. But, if you are a fan of his previous works you wont be dissappointed. Basically I give it a 9 out of 10.

Saw it today. Liked it.

"Inglorious Basterds"

Iridedirt- I saw it also and despite being a slowrolling movie I enjoyed it. As a whole I liked it, many times I had to wonder if It was a good movie. It is slow with about 10 minutes of blood filled action. The best part of the movie is watching the performance of the "Jew Hunter", he makes the movie. Not what I expected but good none the less.

3 of my all time favorites

• Reservoir Dogs - Tarantino
  • Lock Stock & 2 Smoking Barrels - Ritchie
  • Snatch - Ritchie

I think R'Dogs was and still is Tarantino's best film. Everytime I hear "Stuck in the Middle with You", I think of this movie!

If you like the English gangster genre, you have to love LS&2SB's, and Snatch. His newest one, Rock 'n Rolla is also pretty good - though they all have a fairly similar formula.

I also have a soft spot for "Shaun of the Dead"!

Edited by Been too Long

3 of my all time favorites

• Reservoir Dogs - Tarantino
  • Lock Stock & 2 Smoking Barrels - Ritchie
  • Snatch - Ritchie

I think R'Dogs was and still is Tarantino's best film. Everytime I hear "Stuck in the Middle with You", I think of this movie!

If you like the English gangster genre, you have to love LS&2SB's, and Snatch. His newest one, Rock 'n Rolla is also pretty good - though they all have a fairly similar formula.

I also have a soft spot for "Shaun of the Dead"!

I'm with you on the Steeler's Wheel tune...

I'd not want to be Mr Pink either.

Science fiction fans should check out "Moon" with Sam Rockwell. It's a little bit of 2001: A Space Odyssey, a little bit of The Island with Ewan McGregor and Scarlett Johanassen (don't know how to spell her name but row-row), and a little bit of the classic Silent Running with Bruce Dern. It's also a little bit of its own movie. Kevin Spacey plays the voice of the AI aboard the moon station.

"Hurt Locker"

The best movie I have watched in years. I am a huge war movie fan, so if you don't like violence, it is probably not for you.

"Hurt Locker"

The best movie I have watched in years. I am a huge war movie fan, so if you don't like violence, it is probably not for you.

I watched it last night. Powerful and intense. Heart-wrenching at the end, but in a way many won't expect. Little "Hurt Locker" just took a giant slingshot and nailed big-budgeted, bloated "Avatar" and James Cameron between the eyes. Fruck Avatar and its blue Baba Jinks ripoffs!

don't get to see too many of the award candidates in the theater

finally got to see inception on blu-ray

amazing

chris nolan is a brilliant director

however he thinks of his stories is pure genius

just watched the social network this morning

it was interesting and well done

i'm sure some was true and some was completely made up

but i'm not sure about it being best picture

"The Fighter" Marky Mark Wahlberg and Cris Bale. I saw it at the theatre and the fight scenes were in your face. Bale stole the movie IMO with his portrayal of addiction. I had been waiting a loooong time for this one and it exceeded my expectations.

i really want to see the fighter

the oscars....

10 best picture nominees? really?

“Black Swan” Mike Medavoy, Brian Oliver and Scott Franklin, Producers

“The Fighter” David Hoberman, Todd Lieberman and Mark Wahlberg, Producers

“Inception” Emma Thomas and Christopher Nolan, Producers

“The Kids Are All Right” Gary Gilbert, Jeffrey Levy-Hinte and Celine Rattray, Producers

“The King's Speech” Iain Canning, Emile Sherman and Gareth Unwin, Producers

“127 Hours” Christian Colson, Danny Boyle and John Smithson, Producers

“The Social Network” Scott Rudin, Dana Brunetti, Michael De Luca and Ceán Chaffin, Producers

“Toy Story 3” Darla K. Anderson, Producer

“True Grit” Scott Rudin, Ethan Coen and Joel Coen, Producers

“Winter's Bone" Anne Rosellini and Alix Madigan-Yorkin, Producers

chris nolan got shafted

not nominated for inception

nolan is a genius

Drive was top-notch. Was sketchy about Ryan Gosling, but he rocked out a bad ass performance as a cool anti-hero. Kind of Goodfellas meets Bullitt. The movie has an old-school real-feel to it too, a lot of action and intensity, but refreshingly lacking bogus CGI filler.

Saw "Machette". It was gory but hillarious! Steven Segal played the bad guy! Lots of stars (Robert DeNiro, Lindsey Lohan plays a drugged out daughter) and its set in a 70s type of thriller format. A fun watch.

The Three Stooges was absolutely great. They were perfectly true to the personalities and style of the originals, even the child actors. The gags were choreographed to surpass anything I've ever seen in slapstick, always seeming to bring one more hilarious surprise after I was already out of breath from laughing. For me, Larry stole the show with a few of his impending-doom one-liners, such as, "Hmmm. In the wrong hands this could be dangerous..." and "Dolphins love peanuts." The movie is family-friendly, unless you have a problem with a 3 second shot of a very well-built nun in a very sexy bathing suit. Go. Go see it.

Saw the remake of "Footloose" although I don't know why anyone would ever watch the first one. It was a slow weekend and its only $1 or so at Redbox. The movie would forgetful except for Julliana Huff as the preachers daughter. Short shorts and a "grind" that makes me think she knows how to dance.